Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Hilton Head [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2020, 5:35 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass holder and A List Preferred. Marriott Platinum
I stayed there recently and agree with the recent posts, far better than the Marriott Hilton Head.

There is a wildlife refuge called Pinckney Wildlife Refuge which you must check out if you have time. It's a 10 minute drive from Hilton Head (in fact you have to pass it when you drive to the Island).
Old Jun 9, 2020, 7:56 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Here right now. Checked in on Sunday and we leave Thursday.

We got to the hotel around 3:30 to check in to our suite, booked w/ cash. Was told early check in was not available. On my second visit to the desk after 4:00 (the second around 4:40) the agent told me the same room was available but not the one we had been blocked to, and we got to the room.

They had plexiglass around the check in stations and markings on the floor at check in. The restaurant has fewer tables and every other booth blocked. Aside from that, I don't really notice anything out of the ordinary. Some staff are wearing masks, others not. They still have those 'lift and pull' gates at all of the pools. There are hand sanitizer dispensers at like two locations: by the elevators on the ground floor and they have always been empty.

Overall, it is a nice stay though. It is a decent hotel that is starting to show its age. It is the best of the Marriott options on the island IMO.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
My daughter and I went to View 32 for dinner. I asked if we should seat ourselves and was told yes. After 20 minutes of no contact I went to the bar to order my food. 30 minutes later after watching not less than six people stand around do absolutely nothing the bartender came over and said it would be a few a few minutes. 10 later I asked what the half dozen people standing around doing nothing we actually doing. They are serving when there are customers is what I was told.

I eventually got up and left.

View 32 is a crap show.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by dingo
Here right now. Checked in on Sunday and we leave Thursday.

We got to the hotel around 3:30 to check in to our suite, booked w/ cash. Was told early check in was not available. On my second visit to the desk after 4:00 (the second around 4:40) the agent told me the same room was available but not the one we had been blocked to, and we got to the room.

They had plexiglass around the check in stations and markings on the floor at check in. The restaurant has fewer tables and every other booth blocked. Aside from that, I don't really notice anything out of the ordinary. Some staff are wearing masks, others not. They still have those 'lift and pull' gates at all of the pools. There are hand sanitizer dispensers at like two locations: by the elevators on the ground floor and they have always been empty.

Overall, it is a nice stay though. It is a decent hotel that is starting to show its age. It is the best of the Marriott options on the island IMO.

Did you walk over and check out the regular Marriott?
Old Jun 10, 2020, 2:56 am

Not on this trip at least yet. Perhaps today now that we’ve got a good part of our beach and pool fox out of the system.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 11:45 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by dingo
Not on this trip at least yet. Perhaps today now that we’ve got a good part of our beach and pool fox out of the system.
Most Excellent Dude.

Now I'm looking forward to seeing which property is best for my upcoming weekend trip to Hilton Head.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 6:52 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
do people prefer this hotel or Westin Jekyll Island? Looking for relaxing, enjoyable beach stay, good food, and pet friendly hotel.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 11:38 pm

Westin Hilton Head by a landslide. Jekyll island hasn't really been developed yet. The ocean is so much nicer in Hilton head compared to the murky Jekyll island. The pool is 10 times better in Westin. So much more to do in Hilton head too. I will say at this point in Jekyll Islands development....its a place you go visit 1 and maybe go back in 5-10 years.

Honestly all depends on what you are looking for.
Old May 9, 2021, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by Marriott15
Westin Hilton Head by a landslide. Jekyll island hasn't really been developed yet. The ocean is so much nicer in Hilton head compared to the murky Jekyll island. The pool is 10 times better in Westin. So much more to do in Hilton head too. I will say at this point in Jekyll Islands development....its a place you go visit 1 and maybe go back in 5-10 years.
Honestly all depends on what you are looking for.
A couple years ago I was curious about Westin Jekyll Island so we stopped there on the way to Jacksonville. There is a small development next to Westin with a few shops and restaurants. The area around is clearly underdeveloped and this is fine. (Mulu Marriott on Borneo is also underdeveloped and we had a fantastic stay there just before the pandemic). The main problem is the mud covering the ocean floor and is somewhat unpleasant to step on to. I understand that this mud is very beneficial for marine life but I am not such a creature. You can find such mud in some areas of Hilton Head towards inter coastal waterway but not on the main beaches which are white sand. Water is still murky on Hilton Head. Currently, staying at Westin Hilton Heads for 3 nights.
cfabar1 likes this.
Old May 9, 2021, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Alex_I
A couple years ago I was curious about Westin Jekyll Island so we stopped there on the way to Jacksonville. There is a small development next to Westin with a few shops and restaurants. The area around is clearly underdeveloped and this is fine. (Mulu Marriott on Borneo is also underdeveloped and we had a fantastic stay there just before the pandemic). The main problem is the mud covering the ocean floor and is somewhat unpleasant to step on to. I understand that this mud is very beneficial for marine life but I am not such a creature. You can find such mud in some areas of Hilton Head towards inter coastal waterway but not on the main beaches which are white sand. Water is still murky on Hilton Head. Currently, staying at Westin Hilton Heads for 3 nights.

Wish I was there with you! I will say in 10-15 years Jekyll Island will be a destination people want to go to when it gets developed. If I Was a developer that is where I am going! Again I loved Jekyll Island and everyone should at least visit there 1 time!
Old Jun 20, 2022, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Here right now and the restaurant service staff has been great (especially the breakfast staff in the Carolina Room) but the housekeeping has been a complete joke. Yesterday they showed up to service the room at 5:30 pm while we were showering so of course we declined and today no one even bothered to show up. There are a ton of trolleys and carts in the hallways as early as 8am and we’ve seen several people standing around talking. When we went to dinner tonight we stopped by the front desk and they assure us the room would get done but when we returned from dinner just now they still hadn’t touched it. With the prices they are charging here right now they need to get their act together.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 7:19 am

My wife and I stayed her for five nights last February, after we received a great offer from TravelZoo, which amongst other things waved the resort fee.

As an LT Titanium Bonvoy member, we were upgraded to an oceanfront corner room on the highest floor, with a private balcony. Breakfast was complimentary; since occupancy was low, there was no buffet, but having to order off of the menu was certainly not a hardship. There were no restrictions on selections or a dollar limit. We had requested daily housekeeping upon check-in, and the room was serviced each day, however it was a bit spotty on one or two days.

The common areas of the hotel were beginning to show some wear and tear, although there was nothing that would preclude a return visit next February or early March, even without being able to avail ourselves of another promotional rate.

Finally, there was a previous post where the writer mentioned that the corridors are very long, which we can confirm. This is especially true in the case of oceanfront rooms.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 7:33 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Recently returned from a weekend stay. The entire complex is beautiful. (I've stayed at the Marriott Resort a dozen years ago and this far surpasses that property.)

June is a bit of a tough time for the beach as there is still a lot of marsh grass. However, as I didn't see any other commercial property north of the hotel (I'm sure there are...certainly nothing within walking distance), there is plenty of space beyond the last of the chair / umbrella rentals. Beach is clean and pretty wide when the tide is low. Plenty of staff around the pools.

As a Titanium LT, I was upgraded to an ocean view suite which gave us a fantastic view of the pool area.

Housekeeping was a bit of a miss. Sheets were certainly not changed. We got one washcloth. Soap missing from the 2nd bathroom. All was easily rectified with a phone call.

It's a tough call about determining length of stay. If you are just going to go to the beach, this place is alot of money / alot of points. I think three nights or more is ideal so that you can take advantage of the pool and other activities.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 3:14 pm

Programs: United 1K (after 15 years GS) 3MM, Marriott LTTitanium
Titanium LT just checking out from a 5 day stay. Location is very convenient and the hotel is beautiful. It is a little trek to beach, but pool, and other areas are very nice. Elevators are a challenge as it seems that onlyone of three is working at any given time. Tons of families which is to be expected and they are not a problem. Overall, staff is very friendly, and I have to call out all of valets who were a delight. Housekeeping was almost non-existent. We had to call several times just to get clean towels. Forget about making up room, which happened on Day 4. We were with three other couples who had same experience.
Used SNA to upgrade and got an ocean view, which really was a partial view with a better view of the wall of the next wing. There was almost no recognition of status, except for a message on phone asking me to come down to concierge desk for a present. Went down and received a Marriott Vacation Club bag with two books of coupons (like you get all over the island.). Seems like it needs a management refresh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.