W Fort Lauderdale [Master Thread]

Old Dec 11, 2010, 8:17 pm

looked at W FT L for Thursday but chose the Westin Diplomat for the club floor. Always upped to a corner hi floor suite with 2 balconies. Club Bfast was the seller for me.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glob, CC Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by karenkay
had the same experience, am posting from one of the fabulous flats--or whatever they're called. did NOT expect something this awesome for my one saturday night stay, but i realize that one night is easier for the hotel to upgrade. yay, spg/w! ^

does anyone know where to get a cup of coffee in one of these fabulous flats? there's a full sized coffee maker in the lovely kitchen, but no coffee...and i had to call to have my two complimentary bottles of water delivered.
Used two FWN awards, and got upgraded to an accessible flat after a lot of checking by the front desk agent. Was originally upgraded to a Mega Room, but after requesting a flat the W was able to come through!

The flat was awesome, just how others described it - two full bathrooms, two living rooms, three small deck areas with furniture (had views of the Atlantic & Intercoastal waterway), dining area, and full kitchen.

As far as the platinum waters, they were delivered to the room without me calling (except on the check-in day, the front desk told me at check-in that I should call in-room dining to have them delivered). And coffee / sugar / cream was brought up to the room at no additional fee by calling whatever / whenever.

Even though the W is classified as a resort, I was given a 4 pm checkout. Was not able to get it automatically at check-in, however called on the last day and with manager approval they gave me a platinum courtesy extended checkout. However, my keys stopped working early, which caused me to take an extra trip to the Welcome Desk.

Service was good overall in the resort, however I wish they provided amenities on the oceanfront (chairs, umbrellas, towels) that weren't exorbitantly priced - I think it's the city of Fort Lauderdale who manages those chairs.

Pictures coming soon.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 6:42 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
IIRC, that is a handicapped accessible room. I dont like that this room is directly above the pool and you can hear every damn sound.
I'm a little confused. I've booked a fantastic suite for a week stay at this property and the video/pictures posted in this thread doesn't fit the description at all.

It's supposed to be 1300 sqft and have a large bathroom with a tub and shower. The pictures and the video is not even close to being that size and also has no tub.

Anyone know?
Old Jan 18, 2011, 7:45 pm

I cant wait to stay here!!
Old Jan 19, 2011, 2:05 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Originally Posted by waldenbg
I cant wait to stay here!!
Enjoy Great hotel!! Loved my stay a year back
Old Jan 19, 2011, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by tommy777
I'm a little confused. I've booked a fantastic suite for a week stay at this property and the video/pictures posted in this thread doesn't fit the description at all.

It's supposed to be 1300 sqft and have a large bathroom with a tub and shower. The pictures and the video is not even close to being that size and also has no tub.

Anyone know?
Bump. Anyone?
Old Jan 19, 2011, 2:58 pm

Bump. Anyone?
I booked a "normal" room and was upgraded I THINK to a fanastic suite..

Anyway my room was very large with two terraces, a large bedroom with a a fairly large wardrobe "room", a small lounge area with second TV and a hall... Bathroom had great shower (I remember I loved it) but no tub..

Not a great insight but I remember I loved the room and size wasn't a problem
Old Jan 19, 2011, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by terminalfive
I booked a "normal" room and was upgraded I THINK to a fanastic suite..

Anyway my room was very large with two terraces, a large bedroom with a a fairly large wardrobe "room", a small lounge area with second TV and a hall... Bathroom had great shower (I remember I loved it) but no tub..

Not a great insight but I remember I loved the room and size wasn't a problem
Thank you. Did it feel like it was 1300 sqft?

I called the property today and inquired about getting a flat, which was no problem, but according to the dude I spoke with there was no good view from the Flats

The Flats were 1600 sqft.

If you have stayed here, what would you choose?
Old Jan 19, 2011, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Thank you. Did it feel like it was 1300 sqft?

I called the property today and inquired about getting a flat, which was no problem, but according to the dude I spoke with there was no good view from the Flats

The Flats were 1600 sqft.

If you have stayed here, what would you choose?
There in the back (side) of the hotel. You wont have an ocean front view.

Is it just you?
Old Jan 19, 2011, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
There in the back (side) of the hotel. You wont have an ocean front view.

Is it just you?
Thank you. A gorgeous blond and myself
Old Jan 19, 2011, 4:25 pm

Yes - think of a standard room in say Sheraton Heathrow Skyline and multiply by 2. One terrace was huge - size almost of a room - one was more a balcony. Small hall entrance area and a decent sized bathroom. Not my fav W (that would be Barcelona) but a strong second.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Thank you. A gorgeous blond and myself
Then why not go with the room I show in my review? It's nice, especially if you want to take advantage of the view and weather.

How much time are you planning on spending in the room?
Old Jan 19, 2011, 7:17 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Just got back from three nights there. The building in the front facing the ocean was built as the hotel and the building behind it and perpendicular to it
(think of a T ) was built as residences. The big suites are in the back building and probably have nice views but they are not straight on ocean front. According to SPG.com I was originally upgraded to a one bedroom suite and was excited about it. When I checked in I was given a " studio suite " in the front building on the 23rd floor(?) and had a long entry hall, a large single room with a nice bath and the largest balcony overlooking the ocean you can imagine. It had two tables with four chairs each and two lounges and it wrapped around the building. looking up and down the building it looks like the best ocean front room except for the top floor. I asked about the one bedroom suites and they told me I actually had a much better room because of the view. The only problem with the room is that the shower has a glass wall with no curtain so anyone in the room can see you when you shower. Not a problem for me as I was alone but could be for others.

All in all if the weather is nice and you don't really need a separate bedroom and living room it was one of the best rooms ever. Great place to have friends up for a party.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:09 am

Programs: United 1K / Starwood Platinum
Hello All....I stayed at the W Fort Lauder dale from Dec 27 - Jan 4 2011.
I had a great stay overall and would recommend this property highly to anyone visiting Fort Lauderdale.

I grew up in Fort Lauderdale but moved away years ago. Great to see the strip getting some first class properties.

Hotel is great location and is in much better shape then older or remolded Starwood area hotels. The Westin Diplomat is a nice property as well,
you are located in a very isolated area of Hollywood beach. ( in my opinion not a great area to stay)

As a Starwood Plat my family was upgraded to Wonderful Flat. The 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms and kitchen really helped to make the trip. Views of Inter coastal and Ocean were amazing and would not hesitate or stress about not having full facing ocean view. I was told this is not the usual upgrade and please do not expect it as normal or in the future. I noted it and appreciated it.

Like I said the kitchen was a huge perk as we could make breakfast each morning and not incur the expense of eating in the hotel. There are a few breakfast spots in close walking area but not very good best to have breakfast in room. FYI..Also have a small market with Starbucks and baked goods in lobby of Hilton across the street. Hotel also puts out a small continental breakfast on the bar in the AM.. Free coffee and Tea.

The Steakhouse 595 is great for lunch or brunch. I would skip it as a Prime steak house. Food was good not great. I would say a bit more expensive then a Capital Grille or Morton's but not as good.

Other points of note or observations to consider:
There is a major disconnect between Management and Housekeeping or Stylist as they are called. Everyday it seemed they wanted to make my room up around 5:30pm as we were trying to get dressed for dinner. No matter how much i complained it was not addressed until finally speaking to a Manager. It was fixed for 2 days but the problem returned later. Also never could get water to the room. I think that the Flats are lower priority to house keeping in the day as a result get bumped. Make certain at check in when you want your room cleaned. Good luck!

Do order up choc chip cookies and ice cream for late night snack. make sure u ask for them to make the cookies fresh..it is heaven and makes your family very happy!

Avoid New years eve at all costs!!

Ok that is enough for now..if you have any specific questions please feel free to ask away.

Safe travels.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mixer552
Hello All....I stayed at the W Fort Lauder dale from Dec 27 - Jan 4 2011.
I had a great stay overall and would recommend this property highly to anyone visiting Fort Lauderdale.

I grew up in Fort Lauderdale but moved away years ago. Great to see the strip getting some first class properties.

Hotel is great location and is in much better shape then older or remolded Starwood area hotels. The Westin Diplomat is a nice property as well,
you are located in a very isolated area of Hollywood beach. ( in my opinion not a great area to stay)

As a Starwood Plat my family was upgraded to Wonderful Flat. The 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms and kitchen really helped to make the trip. Views of Inter coastal and Ocean were amazing and would not hesitate or stress about not having full facing ocean view. I was told this is not the usual upgrade and please do not expect it as normal or in the future. I noted it and appreciated it.

Like I said the kitchen was a huge perk as we could make breakfast each morning and not incur the expense of eating in the hotel. There are a few breakfast spots in close walking area but not very good best to have breakfast in room. FYI..Also have a small market with Starbucks and baked goods in lobby of Hilton across the street. Hotel also puts out a small continental breakfast on the bar in the AM.. Free coffee and Tea.

The Steakhouse 595 is great for lunch or brunch. I would skip it as a Prime steak house. Food was good not great. I would say a bit more expensive then a Capital Grille or Morton's but not as good.

Other points of note or observations to consider:
There is a major disconnect between Management and Housekeeping or Stylist as they are called. Everyday it seemed they wanted to make my room up around 5:30pm as we were trying to get dressed for dinner. No matter how much i complained it was not addressed until finally speaking to a Manager. It was fixed for 2 days but the problem returned later. Also never could get water to the room. I think that the Flats are lower priority to house keeping in the day as a result get bumped. Make certain at check in when you want your room cleaned. Good luck!

Do order up choc chip cookies and ice cream for late night snack. make sure u ask for them to make the cookies fresh..it is heaven and makes your family very happy!

Avoid New years eve at all costs!!

Ok that is enough for now..if you have any specific questions please feel free to ask away.

Safe travels.
I'm not sure about that first statement, I've stayed at the Westin Beach Resort and thought it was 1000 times better than it was as a Sheraton. They just don't have rooms with Balcony's. In regard to the location it's a block away from the W. If the price at the Westin is cheaper than the W, I would stay at the Westin.

I'm glad you made not the condo's aren't apart of the upgrade pool, so people know not to expect one! ^^^

Dinner at Steak954, is expensive, but I guess they've a certain target audience (I've eaten at several Starr restaurants) and they need to pay rent. I would go there from Breakfast, Lunch or start off a night with a cocktail there. I love the jellyfish tank.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.