Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Fort Lauderdale [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2010, 4:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E25, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Delta Skymiles Silver, HHonors Gold, Nexus
You can bring it up to the GM, but they can give you excuses just like the desk. They can say it's not ready yet (which I would then offer to leave my bags, and come back when it's ready), or that someone extended their stay (which would make no sense since it's showing on SPG.com).

If you really want the suite, and mentioning to the desk or GM that it's showing on SPG's website, calling the Concierge seems like the foolproof way of getting it. It's quite unfortunate that you have to jump through so many hoops at times, to get something that is suppose to be entitled to you.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 6:02 pm

Programs: SPG, Wyndham, AA
There are so many factors that are in play for comp upgrades for status. If you get it, you get it. If not, whine and be like a majority of other plats that our giving the rest of us a bad rep.

Plats are becoming a deranged group of conspiracy theorists thinking every hotel is out steal upgrades away from them.

A wise one once told me "If you want a suite, then book one" - CheapElite
Old Nov 27, 2010, 6:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E25, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Delta Skymiles Silver, HHonors Gold, Nexus
Originally Posted by upgrade.me
There are so many factors that are in play for comp upgrades for status. If you get it, you get it. If not, whine and be like a majority of other plats that our giving the rest of us a bad rep.

Plats are becoming a deranged group of conspiracy theorists thinking every hotel is out steal upgrades away from them.

A wise one once told me "If you want a suite, then book one" - CheapElite
But if you are entitled to a complementary upgrade to a Standard Suite as a Platinum, and there are Standard Suites available for your stay, you should get them (i.e., they're not booked, they're not down for repair, etc. This especially applies if they're selling Standard Suites online). It's a benefit of being a Platinum.

If they are not going to give you everything that you are entitled to, then they should not to list it as a benefit, as a way of trying to lure new frequent travelers to SPG. Am I wrong?

What's the point of aiming for Platinum status with Starwood if they can't provide you with one of the top benefits? Hit gold for the point bonus, and take the rest of your business to whichever chain has the best properties where I'm staying. That's certainly what I would do.

And CheapElite's principle saying only really applies to those who are trying to secure an upgrade to a suite before their stay, as opposed to just waiting and seeing if one is available at check-in.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 10:07 pm

Programs: SPG, Wyndham, AA
Suites can be available online, but are they clean and ready, are they available for the entire length of the stay?

I'm just saying it's rediculous that everyone here thinks that they aren't getting upgrades because the hotel wants to play dr. evil and hold them ransom for god knows what

I'm in the same boat to though, sometimes I get an upgrade, but some times I don't. The problem occurs with plats is when they expect it like it's an automatic given.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by upgrade.me
Suites can be available online, but are they clean and ready, are they available for the entire length of the stay?

I'm just saying it's rediculous that everyone here thinks that they aren't getting upgrades because the hotel wants to play dr. evil and hold them ransom for god knows what

I'm in the same boat to though, sometimes I get an upgrade, but some times I don't. The problem occurs with plats is when they expect it like it's an automatic given.
My defense for someone to argue for their upgrade, is being under the assumption that they are available for the whole stay. I'm sure there are some people out there who wouldn't think of it, but I'd like to think FTers would be smart enough to check their whole stay, and not just their check-in night.

As far as being clean or not, my defense would also be assuming they were clean. Although in all honesty, I think the policy that if the room is dirty, that they don't have to hold it for you until it's clean, is a bit odd. If they're willing to clean it for someone who could go online and book it, they should be willing to hold and clean it for the incoming Plat.

But none of this discussion really matters, since the OP has pointed out that this property has a problem with treating Plats properly on a regular basis, so it's more likely to be that the hotel is playing Dr. Evil.

metdrdg - Just took another look at your questions, and noticed one I overlooked. Remember that the suites could be handed out as upgrades (or rented out) in between the time that you look at SPG.com, and the time you arrive at the hotel. What you would be better off to do is the following:

1. If they don't auto-upgrade you, ask about the availability of any upgrades.
2. If they upgrade you, then you must have good luck! If they don't, ask if it's dirty, and tell them you are will to wait. Some hotels will let you do this.
3. If they just say they're sold out, then take the room that is assigned, and then check SPG.com. If there are Standard Suites showing as available, you may choose to call down to the desk, explaining that they are still selling them online, and ask if you can be moved.
4. If they still say no, then that is the time that you will want to call the Platinum Concierge, and explain the situation. They will be able to handle the rest.

No matter what the outcome, I wish you a pleasant stay.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 10:45 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glob, CC Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by metdrdg
I'm a new plat for SPG and have an upcoming reservation for the W Ft. Lauderdale for a spectacular room. According to their website there is availability for all types of suites (including regular ones), corner rooms, and fabulous rooms and the date is coming up soon. If a regular suite is available according to the spg.com website on the day of my check-in, should I expect to get it upon check in? If they don't give it to me is it something I can bring up to the GM or call the SPG concierge? I've checked the message thread and it sounds like this location is not very favorable to plats in general.
Keep me posted on whether you wind up getting upgraded, I'm staying at that property in two weeks (and looking forward to it)!
Old Dec 4, 2010, 3:06 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, PC Plat, Delta PM
Just finished stay and not sure what people were complaining about previously. Front desk welcomed me, recognized my SPG plat, offered choice of amenity, and upgraded to suite. Five stars!!
Old Dec 4, 2010, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glob, CC Gold, Avis President's Club
Just finished stay and not sure what people were complaining about previously. Front desk welcomed me, recognized my SPG plat, offered choice of amenity, and upgraded to suite. Five stars!!
That's awesome, I look forward to staying there next weekend! Can I ask what kind of suite you were upgraded to?
Old Dec 5, 2010, 8:13 am

Not sure but I think it was a fabulous flat.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 8:22 am

Not sure but I think it was a fabulous flat.
Did it have the kitchen / living area?
Old Dec 5, 2010, 9:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Triley
calling the Concierge seems like the foolproof way of getting it.
"Foolproof"?

Not by a longshot. Just like properties lie to you, they similarly have no problems lying to the Platinum Concierges.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 10:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
You need to remember the condos are not considered select standard suite upgrades.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 6:21 am

Yes, there was a kitchen/living room area. Overall a great room but the second bathroom wasn't really clean (not a big deal because I only used the first but was kind of unsettling).
Old Dec 6, 2010, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 1KUGS, AA Plat., SPG Plat., Hertz Five*
I received a Plat. suite upgrade on the 22nd floor over looking the beach. Really nice corner suite with the balcony wrapping around. There was plentiful lounge furniture as well. Steak 954 was also pleasantly good. The jellyfish wall was impressive display. Overall, I was very impressed with the hotel and service. ^
Old Dec 11, 2010, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
had the same experience, am posting from one of the fabulous flats--or whatever they're called. did NOT expect something this awesome for my one saturday night stay, but i realize that one night is easier for the hotel to upgrade. yay, spg/w! ^

does anyone know where to get a cup of coffee in one of these fabulous flats? there's a full sized coffee maker in the lovely kitchen, but no coffee...and i had to call to have my two complimentary bottles of water delivered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.