Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points by Sheraton Kuching, Malaysia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Points by Sheraton Kuching, Malaysia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2009, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, A-Club Gold
Arrow Four Points by Sheraton Kuching, Malaysia [Master Thread]

We just finished a 3 night stay here at RM250/night (RM1 = US$0.27) by booking the Opening Offer promo, which includes breakfast. The hotel is less than 5 minutes from the airport by taxi and costs RM17. From the airport, just buy a coupon at the taxi counter before exiting and go to the taxi queue outside.

Upon arrival, there were no hotel staff to open the door or help with the luggage. Since we arrived at 12:30pm, our room was not ready and I was assigned a different room after waiting 15 minutes. When enquired if there was any upgrade as Corporate Preferred, the frontdesk staff was adamant that only Plats are eligible for upgrades. So I showed him the back of my SPG card just to prove a point, and he did an about turn and simply said they were full.

When we got to the room, it was dirty, dusty and there were pieces of dry paint on the floor. And so we went downstairs again and requested for another room. We got a different room after another 15 minutes wait.

The room is spacious and has a pleasant brown/beige wood theme. I like the neat charger/connection bar on the desk - it even has a USB charging port and HDMI input linked to the LCD TV. You get 2 complimentary bottles of water everyday, The Borneo Post on weekdays and wireless Internet is free too.

The bathroom is average-sized and apart from the bathtub, there's a seperate shower cubicle which includes a rainforest shower. Water pressure was a little weak.

The hotel is 12 storeys high. I understood from the hotel staff that it's only opened less than 2 weeks and only 3 floors of rooms are in operation. You can see from outside the building the rooms on the other floors are still empty, so expect a little construction noise in the day.

Facilities-wise, the spa is still under construction while the fitness centre already has all the equipment but is not operational yet. Only the swimming pool on the ground floor is ready ...BUT the bubble lift is not. So you'll have to walk across the lobby and through the restaurant to get to the pool. There's a kid's pool, adult pool and wooden deck for sunbathers. The pool area gets a good amount of sunlight, hence, the water isn't cold.

While we were there, the pool water was dirty at the edges and the walls had algae at certain areas.

Another interesting point is the lifts. Pressing a button doesn't activate all the lifts like you'd normally expect - you'd have to press the buttons of the individual lifts. Naturally, most people will press all the buttons so as not to waste time, and all the lifts will end up going to the same floor.

As expected from a new hotel, we experienced a host of problems...

Our safe was not functioning, the shower kept turning off by itself and the toilet flush wasn't working. Our toilet bowl even had "stains" left by the previous guest.

I'm not sure if the hotel staff had had proper training because they could walk pass you as though you were invisible. Our dear Concierge who was supposed to get us a cab, told us to have a seat and then disappeared. Housekeeping was also patchy. When we highlighted to the housekeeper that our bedroom slippers were missing, she said she was out of slippers and lamented that the store room's far away. She came back to our room minutes later with only 1 pair of slippers - I mean, why bother?!

The one bright spot was the Guest Services Manager, Azrai, who felt sorry for us and invited us to a complimentary buffet dinner at The Eatery. The restaurant is nice, the buffet spread extensive and food quality was average to above-average. The lunch and dinner buffets are quite reasonably priced at RM38 and RM58 respectively. The lounge serves an international selection of beer priced from RM12/mug, while Wrapped offers baked items at 50% off from 9pm.

Mr. Azrai also had fruits and cupcakes delivered to us during the turndown service, and there was a handwritten card apologizing for the inconvenience.

The Four Points Sheraton is located 15 minutes from town. You can ask the Concierge to call a taxi for you, which costs RM17 one-way. On that note, the taxis in Kuching are not metered so it's best that you confirm the price before stepping into one. Our taxi fare from Sarawak Plaza at the towncentre back to the hotel cost RM15. A trip from The Spring mall just 3km away also cost the same - go figure!

Immediately opposite the hotel is a block of shophouses known as BDC, where you can conveniently find a variety of food from hawker fare to Thai to Taiwanese to steamboat and more. There are also bakeries, grocery stores, hair salons, a pharmacy, a dentist, massage services, etc. I'd recommend an authentic Thai restaurant called Pandan Thai Restaurant, which is quite good. A dinner for two only cost us RM48.

If you wish to visit tourist attractions, just contact Concierge because the hotel has an arrangement with a local tour agency. We did a 4-hour Sarawak Cultural Village tour for RM90/pax (includes the RM60 entrance fee) and it was quite good. One of a few "living museums" in the world, it is located 45 minutes away in Damai and is also where the annual Rainforest World Music Festival is held.

Last edited by larrylim; Mar 27, 2009 at 8:10 pm
Old Mar 27, 2009, 9:14 am

Unfortunate.. I tend to associate Sheraton name with some minimum standards. Is this a 5* property? Thanks for sharing your experience though
Old Mar 27, 2009, 10:52 am
Community Director Emerita

Great thorough report, larrylim. Thank you.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ashu
Unfortunate.. I tend to associate Sheraton name with some minimum standards. Is this a 5* property? Thanks for sharing your experience though
Eeerrr.... this is not a Sheraton, its a Four Points.
Having said that I would expect service to be better even for a Four Points.

With its location, I dont see any reason to stay there especially when the downtown Hilton could be had for similar rates (though the rooms are a little worn). I am also surprised they are not providing comp shuttle service to/from airport and downtown with its less than perfect location.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

SanDiego1K: you're welcome!

mario33: the hotel's still very new and hopefully they'll provide shuttle service in the future. I think business is not bad, because they seem to be hosting many events, e.g. with the Immigration Department, thanks to the owner being a well-connected person.

Anyway, I could see improvements in the staff as my stay progressed where they would greet me, sometimes by name.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 1:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by larrylim
because they seem to be hosting many events, e.g. with the Immigration Department
...... which is one good reason not to stay there.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 11:37 pm

Programs: United 1P
According to Four Points Kuching web site, it is only 2KM from airport. Is it possible to walk to the hotel from airport safely such as sidewalk?
Old Apr 6, 2009, 12:48 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by kevincl
According to Four Points Kuching web site, it is only 2KM from airport. Is it possible to walk to the hotel from airport safely such as sidewalk?
LOL, not really. Most cities in Malaysia are not pedestrian friendly, except for Putrajaya maybe. You won't get mugged or anything but the zooming cars, buses and trucks can be intimidating.

Anyway, larrylim, thanks for posting the review! I understand the hotel must have to iron out many kinks as a new outlet. There are +ve and -ve of staying at very, very new hotel. But glad you took the chance to tell us all.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 12:51 am
Original Poster

It's possible but I don't think anyone will walk that far, considering the tropical weather and that you'll likely be tugging your luggage along.

Why not just take the airport taxi since it only costs RM17, i.e. US$5?
Old Apr 6, 2009, 1:12 am
Suspended

USD5 for a 2km ride is not exactly "cheap".

And I was complaining about the GBP4 Hoppa fare to Sheraton Heathrow which I am sure is further than 2km ...
Old Apr 6, 2009, 11:26 pm

I'd walk it, as long as I didn't have too much luggage (which I wouldn't)
Old Apr 7, 2009, 5:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mario33
I dont see any reason to stay there especially when the downtown Hilton could be had for similar rates
It is a Cat 1, so if you don't want to use cash, it could make sense. Also, if you are paying and you care more about points than location.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It is a Cat 1, so if you don't want to use cash, it could make sense. Also, if you are paying and you care more about points than location.
Yeah they would be the reasons. The location is really bad though.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 9:30 am
Suspended

No, I am not complaining the rates are high; just that for the same rates you could stay at the downtown Hilton with a much nicer location.

Furthermore, the "only" reason I could see for staying at the 4P is for stay credit (or if one has a connecting flight and has little time in the city).

I would save the 2,000-3,000 pts for the LeMeridien Kota Kinabalu instead; quite an exceptional property (considering its Borneo), very centralised location and great platinum recognition.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 2:43 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by mario33
No, I am not complaining the rates are high; just that for the same rates you could stay at the downtown Hilton with a much nicer location.

Furthermore, the "only" reason I could see for staying at the 4P is for stay credit (or if one has a connecting flight and has little time in the city).

I would save the 2,000-3,000 pts for the LeMeridien Kota Kinabalu instead; quite an exceptional property (considering its Borneo), very centralised location and great platinum recognition.
Yeap! LM Kota Kinabalu is pretty decent for Cat 1 (who knows, after a lot of praise, Starwood might increase it to Cat 2, LOL, be careful).

I've stayed at Hilton Kuching as well. Rather affordable and the location could not be faulted. BUT I cringed when looking at their outdated rooms. Time for some serious renovation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.