Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
I find this strange - Other than the regular suites on smoking floors, I thought all other suites were non-smoking. All the luxury suites on the 10th floor are
non-smoking indoors, with smoking only permitted on the outdoor patios.
It was a suite on a smoking floor. I think it said luxury suite. 2702 if I remember correctly.

We checked out tonight. Service in the hotel was good as usual, although one can tell the breakfast staff is tired and annoyed at 10:30. No mention at all by the (different) front desk agent of the events of the day before.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
My friend from Maui staying here independently of us, got moved into the Governor's suite yesterday .. they had several problems here over their stay in a paid corner suite. I wonder if you got their room? They were prepared to check out and leave early due to the issues they had. (smoke smell in the room was the main issue, never resolved over 4 nights. They brought in one of those machines, and it ended up leaking all over the floor and they never got rid of the smoke odor. So that could be the reason for keeping that one vacant if you got that room or maybe that was the first room they offered? It wasn't supposed to be a smoking room.)
lol, we rejected that suite (2002) due to smoke smell. They tried to pull that same "air purifier" nonsense and I had to escalate to a manager to get moved to a room that didn't smell. This was after specifically confirming prior to stay that I had a confirmed nonsmoking suite. The problem was either caused by a guest violating nonsmoking rules or smoke drifting up from 19 (smoking floor) through the bathroom air vents. It was noticeable from outside the door to the suite.

There were several other issues as well. Overall not a great stay.
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
BTW, the hotel manager position, formerly Rubel Miah, is now vacant. I was told he moved to W Shanghai, but his linked in page shows he is GM at an Aloft in KL.
Yes, he's now in KL. Hope to bump into him again in the future.
LIH Prem likes this.

Last edited by Kacee; Jan 2, 2019 at 10:12 am
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
lol, we rejected that suite (2002) due to smoke smell. They tried to pull that same "air purifier" nonsense and I had to escalate to a manager to get moved to a room that didn't smell. This was after specifically confirming prior to stay that I had a confirmed nonsmoking suite. The problem was either caused by a guest violating nonsmoking rules or smoke drifting up from 19 (smoking floor) through the bathroom air vents. It was noticeable from outside the door to the suite.

There were several other issues as well. Overall not a great stay.

Yes, he's now in KL. Hope to bump into him again in the future.
Does anyone know where the former GM of the Aloft (Gregory ????) is now?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by estnet
Does anyone know where the former GM of the Aloft (Gregory ????) is now?
Gregory Gubiani, who was GM at Le Meridien in Jimbaran Bay, in Bali, prior to his departure for KL, stayed in town to be GM at the Westin.
estnet likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
If you could smell it from outside, it was a guest violating the rules, not smoke through the ventilation system. It happened to me several stays ago. When that happens the offending guest is charged for the violation. IIRC it's USD $200.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:53 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by UASPG
Gregory Gubiani, who was GM at Le Meridien in Jimbaran Bay, in Bali, prior to his departure for KL, stayed in town to be GM at the Westin.
Thanks - this means maybe I'll have to give the Westin a try again - he was quite customer oriented when he was asst. manager at LM (before going to Bali as GM and then Aloft). It is truly amazing to me how a good GM can have guests following them.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
If you could smell it from outside, it was a guest violating the rules, not smoke through the ventilation system. It happened to me several stays ago. When that happens the offending guest is charged for the violation. IIRC it's USD $200.
Who knows. It was the assistant manager who suggested it might be smoke coming from 19 through the bathroom ventilation.

The fact that SGS allows smoking on certain floors and at Sala is possibly the property's biggest negative IMO. I assume they've concluded the number of guests who choose to stay there precisely because they allow smoking outweighs the problems it causes with guests can't stand the smell of smoke in their room.
Originally Posted by estnet
Thanks - this means maybe I'll have to give the Westin a try again - he was quite customer oriented when he was asst. manager at LM (before going to Bali as GM and then Aloft). It is truly amazing to me how a good GM can have guests following them.
Yup. I think Rubel will be a great GM as well.
Football Fan likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The fact that SGS allows smoking on certain floors and at Sala is possibly the property's biggest negative IMO.
To be fair, though, it's happened to me once in 160+ stays over 12 years.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:23 am

To be fair, though, it's happened to me once in 160+ stays over 12 years.
We have three guests in this thread alone who experienced problems over new years.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We have three guests in this thread alone who experienced problems over new years.
True enough, -- I was only talking about smoke in the rooms as you mentioned concerning 2002.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
I noticed checking in this week that there was no print out of the number of stays on the slip if paper with your room number and check in check out dates. In fact the front desk agent did not seem to know I had stayed here before at all.

I hope this is just a temporary glitch and not gone forever due to the switch of computer systems. It is just a little thing but I liked seeing how many stays I had.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
My points from the last stay never posted.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Lobster
I noticed checking in this week that there was no print out of the number of stays on the slip if paper with your room number and check in check out dates. In fact the front desk agent did not seem to know I had stayed here before at all.

I hope this is just a temporary glitch and not gone forever due to the switch of computer systems. It is just a little thing but I liked seeing how many stays I had.
I am here now, and noticed the same thing.
My front desk agent recognized me and greeted me by name along with the "welcome back"
I hope it is not due to the change from an SPG number to a Marriott number - but while they still had my bedding preference,
they assigned me to a room in the front, which I have not had or wanted since my first stay some 60 stays ago.
EuropeanPete and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Football Fan
My points from the last stay never posted.
Mine either.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: Some
I stayed last week and my points posted promptly as expected.

Amusingly, I was put in 2004 (the room next to the much discussed 2002 Luxury Suite above) and so walked a little further along the hallway to see if I could smell anything - I do believe there is still a slight smell of smoke hanging around outside the suite, unfortunately.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.