Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2017, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by estnet
Please post what you think of the meal
Done.
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: TG Gold, MPC Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador
Just returned from a stay. Excellent as usual EXCEPT for Rossini's breakfast.

There is apparently a new dress code which was being haphazardly applied leading to much consternation among guests trying to enter for breakfast. Apparently flip flops are no longer allowed - these seemed to be the focus of the screening on the day I went for breakfast. Having said that I spotted at least one gentleman wearing them. My GF was allowed in as hers had a kitten heel and were deemed 'fashion'. No sports gear allowed despite one guest wearing basketball shorts and a 'polo' shirt is the minimum requirement for men although I was allowed in with a v-neck tee shirt.

If this was communicated to guests in the welcome pack I missed it but I wasn't the only one, quite a number of guests were denied entry. I'm not sure what they're trying to achieve here but clear advanced communication and consistency of applying the new standard would be helpful.
estnet likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by newshound

There is apparently a new dress code which was being haphazardly applied leading to much consternation among guests trying to enter for breakfast. Apparently flip flops are no longer allowed - these seemed to be the focus of the screening on the day I went for breakfast. Having said that I spotted at least one gentleman wearing them. My GF was allowed in as hers had a kitten heel and were deemed 'fashion'. No sports gear allowed despite one guest wearing basketball shorts and a 'polo' shirt is the minimum requirement for men although I was allowed in with a v-neck tee shirt.

If this was communicated to guests in the welcome pack I missed it but I wasn't the only one, quite a number of guests were denied entry. I'm not sure what they're trying to achieve here but clear advanced communication and consistency of applying the new standard would be helpful.
I believe they have a dress code for dinner, but they haven’t enforced the dress code for breakfast. Quite shocking to learn about such an unorganized and chaotic implementation of a new breakfast dress code policy at, of all places, the SGS. And I still see no mention of this new breakfast policy on Rossini’s website!
happygolucky_nomad likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:12 pm

Programs: TG Gold, MPC Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador
They said they just started enforcing it for breakfast in 2018. I was there on the morning of the 2nd and, as I described earlier, it wasn't good!
happygolucky_nomad likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:41 pm

What specifically wasn't good?

I had breakfast in Rossini's this morning. It was great! When my wife is here, she likes the more varied selection of Thai food in Orchid Cafe so we usually go there though she always tells me "I go with you" when I ask her where she wants to go for breakfast.

I remember being told years ago that I couldn't wear my expensive Scott's in the Living Room, so I don't do that anymore. They didn't make me leave, but they just told me what the dress code is so I'd be aware of it in the future. I also wondered about women wearing similar shoes, but I don't care. I adapted to it and now have very comfortable slip-on shoes that are maybe one step above flip flops that I wear around the hotel and at home when I don't want to wear my Scotts outside.

I really don't want to waste my time here worrying about what other people do. Sure, uniformity is great, but it doesn't always work out that way. Sometimes in our favor, sometimes not.

I hope you had a good stay otherswise. Already been here for over 2 weeks and it's been great.

-David
Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Having a policy that is new and not clearly explained would bother me to!!! I feel that while Rossini's breakfast is nice the downgrades (new policy that was explained to me last time - only one (1/2) glass of Prosecco, one order and inability to mix if you want one thing combined with a different thing than they offer, etc.) have made it very unattractive for me - maybe that was the point but not what I would have expected from this hotel.
IMHO they have turned something that was extra special into a "sort of nice if you want exclusivity" (but not much variety) experience. With the new dress code it just seems more on the "exclusive" than on the "we want to offer you a nice experience" - I'm always confused about which on my shoes are "flip flops" and which are "nice' (eg have some decoration so are considered as shoes)
newshound likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:08 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by Central90210
I believe they have a dress code for dinner, but they haven’t enforced the dress code for breakfast. Quite shocking to learn about such an unorganized and chaotic implementation of a new breakfast dress code policy at, of all places, the SGS. And I still see no mention of this new breakfast policy on Rossini’s website!
Dress code was enforced this morning, I was denied entry due to my flipflops and outfit. Kinda overboard in my opinion for a hotel breakfast. I still prefer the Orchid cafe buffet anyways.

On another note, I also received a spa voucher for my 15th stay. Well done.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:59 am
Company Representative - Bangkok.Grande Sukhumvit by Sheraton

Location: 250 Sukhumvit Soi 12-14, Sukhumvit Road, Klongtoey, Bangkok 10110
Dear newshound,

Thank you for staying at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit and taking the time to share your feedback about the Executive breakfast at Rossini’s.

With regards to our dress code, we do try and satisfy the feelings of all of our guests by providing various options – shorts are permitted at the Sala, basil, Orchid Café and Rossini’s for breakfast only, whereas at Rossini’s for dinner and the Living Room (after 8.00 pm.) we do request guests to refrain from wearing shorts, flip flop slippers, tank top etc. Pertaining to the flip-flops for breakfast, we have always had a “no flip-flop slippers” policy for breakfast at Rossini’s since its inception in January 2016. I acknowledge and regret that our team has not consistent in re-enforcing this policy. I have brought this up to the attention of our Executive Assistant Manager in charge of Food & Beverage to emphasize to Rossini’s restaurant manager on this dress code and to ensure it is implemented at all times. I will also ensure with our Director of Rooms that this is properly communicated in the welcome letter inviting our valued SPG Platinum and Gold members to avoid any further disappointment.

With kind regards,
Richard Chapman
General Manager
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by newshound

Dear newshound,

Thank you for staying at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit and taking the time to share your feedback about the Executive breakfast at Rossini’s.

With regards to our dress code, we do try and satisfy the feelings of all of our guests by providing various options – shorts are permitted at the Sala, basil, Orchid Café and Rossini’s for breakfast only, whereas at Rossini’s for dinner and the Living Room (after 8.00 pm.) we do request guests to refrain from wearing shorts, flip flop slippers, tank top etc. Pertaining to the flip-flops for breakfast, we have always had a “no flip-flop slippers” policy for breakfast at Rossini’s since its inception in January 2016. I acknowledge and regret that our team has not consistent in re-enforcing this policy. I have brought this up to the attention of our Executive Assistant Manager in charge of Food & Beverage to emphasize to Rossini’s restaurant manager on this dress code and to ensure it is implemented at all times. I will also ensure with our Director of Rooms that this is properly communicated in the welcome letter inviting our valued SPG Platinum and Gold members to avoid any further disappointment.

With kind regards,
Richard Chapman
General Manager
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:04 am

Having a policy that is new and not clearly explained would bother me to!!! I feel that while Rossini's breakfast is nice the downgrades (new policy that was explained to me last time - only one (1/2) glass of Prosecco, one order and inability to mix if you want one thing combined with a different thing than they offer, etc.) have made it very unattractive for me - maybe that was the point but not what I would have expected from this hotel.
IMHO they have turned something that was extra special into a "sort of nice if you want exclusivity" (but not much variety) experience. With the new dress code it just seems more on the "exclusive" than on the "we want to offer you a nice experience" - I'm always confused about which on my shoes are "flip flops" and which are "nice' (eg have some decoration so are considered as shoes)
Dear estnet,

As mentioned in my response to Newshound, the dress code policy for breakfast at Rossini’s has been in place since the inception of the Executive Breakfast, but unfortunately was not consistently enforced.

As an introductory offer only unlimited Prosecco was available during the first few months after the opening. I am not exactly sure as to your comment regarding the inability to mix / combine one thing with different thing, so I am unable to comment. I am sorry that you feel that the breakfast concept is not attractive to you and recognize that each individual has his / her own preference. That is why we have the alternative international breakfast buffet at the Orchid Café or during the dry season the breakfast at the pool.

With kind regards,
Richard Chapman
General Manager
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit Bangkok
... or during the dry season the breakfast at the pool.

With kind regards,
Richard Chapman
General Manager
You wouldn't know there's a dry season anymore based upon the weather the last few years.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 1:05 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
You don't know what flip-flops are? Really?

That's a pretty clear definition by the SGS, IMHO.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
You don't know what flip-flops are? Really?

That's a pretty clear definition by the SGS, IMHO.
Well in Australia we call them thongs.But that would confuse our American friends.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by drron
Well in Australia we call them thongs.But that would confuse our American friends.
"Apparently flip flops are no longer allowed - these seemed to be the focus of the screening on the day I went for breakfast. Having said that I spotted at least one gentleman wearing them. My GF was allowed in as hers had a kitten heel and were deemed 'fashion'. "
There are definitely "flip flops" that are decorated and costly and are considered dressy shoes by many - yes I know what ff are but the same structure exists for "fancy shoes" - probably not worth more discussion. As they say it's their ball so they get to make the rules.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by drron
Well in Australia we call them thongs.
"Thongs" are definitely not allowed!

13 Times You Should Never Wear a Thong

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.