Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2022, 3:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cohighcountry1k
SGS seems like more dated rooms and perhaps a decline in services even though the pool is nicer than The Athenee (we thought The Athenee pool really lacked character and has so much potential). I'm able to get both of these properties for under $150 USD per night per room which seems like good value. Which would you choose? Chances of getting suite upgrades better at one property or the other? Other properties I need to consider?
For convenience, the SGS location is fantastic, with both BTS and MRT connected by skyway.

The rooms at SGS are much more dated in style, though I believe most have been updated and are in excellent condition.

I personally think the pool at Athenee is much nicer, though the space at SGS is perhaps more interesting with all the foliage. You'll have a challenge trying to find 7-8 loungers together at the SGS pool over New Year's.

Pre-pandemic, New Year's was no chance on the upgrade, and I suspect that's what it will be like this year. Your experience at Athenee this past year was somewhat atypical due to the pandemic.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 10:35 pm
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by Kacee
For convenience, the SGS location is fantastic, with both BTS and MRT connected by skyway.

The rooms at SGS are much more dated in style, though I believe most have been updated and are in excellent condition.

I personally think the pool at Athenee is much nicer, though the space at SGS is perhaps more interesting with all the foliage. You'll have a challenge trying to find 7-8 loungers together at the SGS pool over New Year's.

Pre-pandemic, New Year's was no chance on the upgrade, and I suspect that's what it will be like this year. Your experience at Athenee this past year was somewhat atypical due to the pandemic.
But Athenee does have good rates with Virtuso/STARS( avg 140USD Tax.incl per night) , while SGS doesn't have such good rates, but keep in mind that Athenee doesn't allow elite discount stack on F&B credits.
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 8:13 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Stayed here recently, 60th stay !and first for about 3 years.

It is still for me the best in BKK, but the shine has gone off since covid. So many new staff and it really shows the the wahy staff
used to be trained was the difference. Its not bad, just not as good as it was. WE need to give the new team some time and hope !!
estnet likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 8:55 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rt23456p
But Athenee does have good rates with Virtuso/STARS( avg 140USD Tax.incl per night) , while SGS doesn't have such good rates, but keep in mind that Athenee doesn't allow elite discount stack on F&B credits.
Not everyone is interested in squeezing every last nickel from the property. I've only ever booked suites at SGS (I think around 19 or 20 stays).
nexus7556 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 12:59 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Random question. I really liked the towels at SGS. I'd like to purchase some for home use. I checked the Sheraton Store and found these bath towels, but I don't think they're a match based on the dimensions. I do see the Luxury Collection Store has these bath sheets, but given the price I'd like some confirmation that these are the towels in use at the hotel before purchasing. Any ideas? (I've also reached out to the hotel for confirmation)
Old Oct 27, 2022, 6:00 am

Can anyone ELI5 why this property is so popular (it has one of the highest # of replies in this forum)?
Old Oct 27, 2022, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by najama2
Can anyone ELI5 why this property is so popular (it has one of the highest # of replies in this forum)?
One of the best Marriotts in all of Thailand.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Don't have to limit to Marriotts. It's just an excellent hotel all around and IMO unsurpassed at the price point, particularly on the service side. We took a break from SGS our last stay in Bangkok and realized all the little things we missed. We'll be back next time.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Aventine
Don't have to limit to Marriotts. It's just an excellent hotel all around and IMO unsurpassed at the price point, particularly on the service side. We took a break from SGS our last stay in Bangkok and realized all the little things we missed. We'll be back next time.
But I heard that this SGS has no real club lounge?

I really love lounges ......

What about complimentary suite upgrades for titanium and up? Is it reasonably easy?
Old Oct 27, 2022, 4:41 pm
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by nexus7556
Random question. I really liked the towels at SGS. I'd like to purchase some for home use. I checked the Sheraton Store and found these bath towels, but I don't think they're a match based on the dimensions. I do see the Luxury Collection Store has these bath sheets, but given the price I'd like some confirmation that these are the towels in use at the hotel before purchasing. Any ideas? (I've also reached out to the hotel for confirmation)
Hello, here are some additional emails directly for the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, a Luxury Collection Hotel, if different than what you used to contact them, for more information regarding their bath towels:

Property Email Address: [email protected]

Concierge Email Address:
[email protected]
nexus7556 likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 5:20 pm

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by kb1992
But I heard that this SGS has no real club lounge?

I really love lounges ......

What about complimentary suite upgrades for titanium and up? Is it reasonably easy?
It has no lounge. Therefore if a lounge is very important to you then it is not the right hotel for you.

If you look at the comments those if us who love the place like what it offers instead of a lounge. But you would not be alone in preferring another hotel which does have a lounge.

Upgrades are quite difficult now due to its popularity with elites. They are good at offering upgrades if a suite is available but normally they have way more elites staying than suites available
Old Oct 28, 2022, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Lobster
Upgrades are quite difficult now due to its popularity with elites. They are good at offering upgrades if a suite is available but normally they have way more elites staying than suites available
I think this is pretty much true at all the Bangkok Marriotts, and it's largely a factor of the continually-extended 40% government discount program for Thai citizens. Bangkok has become very much a "want suite, buy suite" market.
vishalgupta22 likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Bangkok has become very much a "want suite, buy suite" market.
It's pretty much what I was told by a manager that started to work at one of the Bangkok Marriott properties when the pandemic started and where I was a very frequent guest and had been for quite a number of years.
Being upgraded to a suite had never been an issue at this hotel - it was not even discussed.

I never went back.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by UASPG
It's pretty much what I was told by a manager that started to work at one of the Bangkok Marriott properties when the pandemic started and where I was a very frequent guest and had been for quite a number of years.
Being upgraded to a suite had never been an issue at this hotel - it was not even discussed.

I never went back.
I think you should name the hotel!
Old Oct 28, 2022, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by estnet
I think you should name the hotel!
Upgrading a guest is not a requirement, so I would not want to point the finger at a specific person or hotel. but I believe that that there was some power play or personality issue. In any case, the attitude was different from my long experience with the hospitality industry in Thailand.

When the GM came back on Monday, he overruled that manager and the suite, that was not available, became available. When I saw the GM during breakfast, he asked me if I was already advised that I would be moved to a suite, without me bringing up the issue, which I would not have.

I cancelled another booking after I asked reservations if I might face a similar issue. It is the same manager that replied that the suite upgrade could not be guaranteed, as it was always the case in the past.

No big deal, I moved my loyalty to the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit. It could have been The Athenee or the W, where I've known the GMs for many years, but the SGS seemed a better choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.