Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:48 am

Programs: AA, Delta, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by IrishStephen
Ah thanks. I think there is a new rate via the https://www.traveloffers.me/en/marriott/mastercard which is called strangely or uses a rate called (BOG) - seriously ! Its buy 4 get 6 with Mastercard.
But that rate doesnt seem include Thailand,
Old Jun 25, 2019, 5:30 am

Programs: BA Gold,Amex Centurion,Marriott LT Plat Prem Elite +AMBASS,Hilton Diamond,Priority Club Plat,VS Gold
Originally Posted by Ripley62

But that rate doesnt seem include Thailand,
Ah Sorry my bad!
Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), OZ Diamond (*G), TK Elite (*G), HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
After moving a bit norther from Bangkok I have preferred the location of the Marriotts at Phrom Phong and Thong Lo when staying in Bangkok but decided to stay here for the first time in a couple of years. The hard product and service is generally top noch even by Asian standards and I just love the pool area and the live jazz at the Living Room. Also the location could not be more convenient for moving around due to the proximity of both MRT and BTS.

I realise I must have been very unlucky but the last time I dined at the Orchid Cafe’s buffet I spotted cockroaches running around the food presentation and notified the staff who tried to chase them away without success. The insident was followed up by the F&B manager properly and besides lose of appetite no harm was done.

However this time I decided to order room service as I was too tired to go anywhere and had not eaten anything for about 30 hours. The mezze platter and the vege sandwhich were tasty but sadly I had to cancel everything the next day due to severe food poisoning, high fever and the rest. Once again the staff were nice enough to find me a thermometer and extra blanket to shiver under of which got me through the day but there were no apologies or compensation offered at any point even though I mentioned I got the food poisoning from the room service dinner and at checkout the clerk asked me if I was feeling better. As I was still feeling quite wobbly I had no interest in pushing the matter so I just let it go.

All in all, very nice hotel but for any further stays I’ll be dining elsewhere.

Last edited by AnttiV; Jul 25, 2019 at 6:27 am
Old Jul 28, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Whats the latest with the laundry benefit here? Is it 2 pieces per room per day or 2 pieces per person?

Old Jul 28, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, LH SEN
Originally Posted by yorkboy24
Whats the latest with the laundry benefit here? Is it 2 pieces per room per day or 2 pieces per person?

We had 2 pieces per person (2 registered guests) a couple weeks ago.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Pitero
We had 2 pieces per person (2 registered guests) a couple weeks ago.
Thanks for the reply. Thats what I thought it was last time but couldnt remember. Its a very good benefit and would probably make me choose SGS over Athenee (in addition to other pros) as Ill be arriving after 5 nights elsewhere. Yes laundry on the street is cheap but convenience is also great when its included at the hotel.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: MR AMB/LT T, AS MVPG75K, TK EP/*G, DL D, IH AMB/D/IC, HH D, CR D, FoundersCd, Sixt P, NTL EE, Hz 5*
My subjective opinion (5 night stay that I'm in the middle of now, vs. most recent stay in October 2018) is that they've cost-reduced every little thing they can find, although the staff are still excellent, and the facilities are getting outdated. SGS certainly isn't bad, but I think I actually prefer LM (and definitely prefer StR, although right now StR is 2x the price). Marriott Sukhumvit Soi 57 also wins over SGS for me due to the rooftop, and I've not yet stayed in the Surawongse (doing a 1 night stay this week at least). Any of these hotels would be great in most cities, but Bangkok is very competitive.

But Sukhothai, Peninsula, and MO outclass them all. Usually at 2x the Marriott hotel rates, but sometimes not (via FHR or other discounts).
Old Jul 28, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
Originally Posted by rdlmitedu
My subjective opinion (5 night stay that I'm in the middle of now, vs. most recent stay in October 2018) is that they've cost-reduced every little thing they can find, although the staff are still excellent, and the facilities are getting outdated. SGS certainly isn't bad, but I think I actually prefer LM (and definitely prefer StR, although right now StR is 2x the price). Marriott Sukhumvit Soi 57 also wins over SGS for me due to the rooftop, and I've not yet stayed in the Surawongse (doing a 1 night stay this week at least). Any of these hotels would be great in most cities, but Bangkok is very competitive.

But Sukhothai, Peninsula, and MO outclass them all. Usually at 2x the Marriott hotel rates, but sometimes not (via FHR or other discounts).
I have been a fan of the SGS over the years, however I haven't stayed there this year. What cost reduction changes have they made?
Old Jul 28, 2019, 3:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
My subjective opinion (5 night stay that I'm in the middle of now, vs. most recent stay in October 2018) is that they've cost-reduced every little thing they can find
You've now said this in two different threads without any details at all.

I was at SGS beginning of July and didn't notice anything.
EuropeanPete and conde like this.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
My subjective opinion (5 night stay that I'm in the middle of now, vs. most recent stay in October 2018) is that they've cost-reduced every little thing they can find....
You mentioned that in another thread. I've stayed quite recently and didn't observe any differences such as you've described. Can you be specific, maybe give a few examples?
Old Jul 28, 2019, 7:44 pm

Programs: MR AMB/LT T, AS MVPG75K, TK EP/*G, DL D, IH AMB/D/IC, HH D, CR D, FoundersCd, Sixt P, NTL EE, Hz 5*
From this one stay, what comes to mind:
1) Bathroom amenities -- it's now marriott-standard Thann and one soap.
2) There used to be bath salt, no longer. Also used to be flowers and stuff.
3) Fruit plate is...3 items, used to be more, and is very boring (apple/banana and then something else)
4) Breakfast at Basil was markedly better than Rossini or Sala or Orchid, but is no longer an Ambassador option
5) Bar Su canapes have...substantially downgraded
6) Registered guest requirement is now pretty strongly enforced (I used to have a local friend come to join me once during a stay for a drink, since I only use it once or twice during a stay, and I have no interest in drinking alone or "meeting people at a bar". We just went to El Gaucho instead.)
7) Rossini breakfast is "single item from the menu" and cheese/meat/etc. is less than it was before. Overall the selection at Rossini isn't what it was a year or two ago, although I seem to think the individual items on the menu are better

These probably contribute to a $5/room/night cost savings. I think the reimbursements from Marriott for things like elite breakfast ($12) are lower than they used to be under SPG (not sure what they were specifically). My last stay was September 2018 when they were still operating under SPG rules.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 7:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
From this one stay, what comes to mind:
3) Fruit plate is...3 items, used to be more, and is very boring (apple/banana and then something else)
4) Breakfast at Basil was markedly better than Rossini or Sala or Orchid, but is no longer an Ambassador option
5) Bar Su canapes have...substantially downgraded
6) Registered guest requirement is now pretty strongly enforced (I used to have a local friend come to join me once during a stay for a drink, since I only use it once or twice during a stay, and I have no interest in drinking alone or "meeting people at a bar". We just went to El Gaucho instead.)
7) Rossini breakfast is "single item from the menu" and cheese/meat/etc. is less than it was before. Overall the selection at Rossini isn't what it was a year or two ago, although I seem to think the individual items on the menu are better
1. The toiletries have been Thann for as long as I can remember. They are not the same as used in US Marriott properties. I quite like them.
2. There are bath salts in the suites, don't know about the regular rooms. If you call guest services, I'm sure they'll bring you some.
3. Fruit plate size and variety is variable and depends in part on how valued you are as a guest (as well as some randomness involving front desk communication with room service). I will agree the welcome gifts are not as generous as they were 12 months ago.
4. AFAIK, Basil will be opened for breakfast at high demand periods. I liked it for the Thai food, but Rossini's is still my favorite.
5. Not opening this one again.
6. Sounds like you got special treatment (not in a good way).
7. Yes, they did this about two years ago. Doesn't bother me, I've never left Rossini's hungry. It's still a very generous breakfast benefit, one of the best in the entire Marriott system.
LIH Prem, drron and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
IME your observation is inconsistent with reality.
It was Thann before Marriott took over, too. No downgrade. (I don't care for Thann soap and use the standard, round LC soap.)

Did you request any bath salts? Is it possible that someone forgot them? "Flowers and stuff" is hard to understand. There is always a small flowering plant in the room when I'm in a suite; I can't recall if there's one in regular rooms. The one in the suite is still there. What is "stuff"?

OK, you find apples and bananas boring. Some people (me) like them. I have a friend who's an Ambassador level Marriott regular who specifically likes bananas. They are in his profile, IIRC. But there are two levels of fruit plates. I'm LT TIT, and I, too, have received the unenhanced version. Sometimes mistakes do happen. Mentioned it to management and it was remedied that same day. If there was usually a particular fruit on the plate that you like and it was missing, just ask the housekeeping person who takes care of your room. I've done that, and it was supplied.

4) Breakfast at Basil was markedly better than Rossini or Sala or Orchid, but is no longer an Ambassador option.
Basil isn't open for breakfast. It opens for dinner at 6 p.m., except for the Sunday jazz brunch, when it opens at noon along with the rest of the brunch offerings.

5) Bar Su canapes have...substantially downgraded.
This has been discussed at length in another thread. Canaps at BarSu are the same ones served in Living Room plus popcorn. And, as LIH Prem's photos showed, they haven't been downgraded at all.

The hotel is adhering to a long standing published policy. I don't have a problem with that. And, of course, you spend more on drinks for two at El Gaucho than you do for drinks for one (your guest) at SGS.

7) Rossini breakfast is "single item from the menu" and cheese/meat/etc. is less than it was before. Overall the selection at Rossini isn't what it was a year or two ago, although I seem to think the individual items on the menu are better.
Again, the multiple mains issue was discussed at length (ad nauseum) some time ago in another thread. When you say that the selection isn't what it once was, what items have you noticed to be missing? What "cheese/meat/etc. is less than it was before"?

Actually, going back and rereading your complaints about the rooms and amenities, it strikes me that both of your complaints (paragraphs 2 and 3) could be explained by your not receiving elite benefits for Ambassador level guests. It looks like you received benefits for a non-elite guest. That's happened twice to me, too, in the 13 years that I've been staying there. That's easily remedied by talking to the Front Desk or Rooms Manager.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 8:31 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Just to join the pile-in, Ive always found BarSu to have been clear that only registered guests get the free drinks (by always I mean last 6-7 years or so). I couldnt possibly comment, but I believe La Sala might be more flexible at times in that regard.

Also, while were talking about costs, hasnt there been a change in the happy hours so that if you are in the right venues you can have an evening of free food and drink for longer than historically.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 8:36 pm

It's possible that it's policy at this hotel to not provide Ambassador service if you're doing a point redemption (this was originally going to be a vacation trip for me, but turned into a work trip; I was trying to burn points since I do 200+ paid nights a year through work and thus don't have much chance to use points). My welcome note mentions "point redemption" and not "ambassador", so it's possible this was intentional or unintentional. IIRC they said "ambassador" at check-in, but it was very late and I don't remember. (I realize this is a bad-point-redemption-value hotel.)

My ambassador did make a request (a bottle of sparkling water in the room), which they did provide, which sort of implies they recognized I was ambassador tier guest.

In any case, there are 10 other good Marriott properties and 5+ other non-Marriott properties which I prefer in the city. I don't have any particular need to stay at this one hotel which no longer lives up to my recollections of what it was in the past, and I'm checking out tomorrow. I'm certainly not stopping anyone else from staying here (and I'd prefer if all ambassadors stayed here to clear out upgrade inventory elsewhere)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.