Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Living room is best part of SGS -- all day free fresh squeezed juices. Most staff don't know this benefit. I wrote the bulk of my last book there. I also gained 10 pounds from too many mango and watermelon juices.

I sit there during day then move to Sala for evening drinks.
EuropeanPete and ashkale like this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:03 pm

Last night's (Sunday evening) appetizers in the living room .... the cheesy thing was penne pasta with veal/meat sauce and cheese .. it was very good. the other thing was some sort of salmon that was also good, plus cheese and dried fruit on small skewers.

We asked them to stop after 3 helpings.

Dr. HFH and Kacee like this.

Last edited by LIH Prem; Apr 14, 2019 at 9:12 pm
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Last night's (Sunday evening) appetizers in the living room .... the cheesy thing was penne pasta with veal/meat sauce and cheese .. it was very good. the other thing was some sort of salmon that was also good, plus cheese and dried fruit on small skewers.

We asked them to stop after 3 helpings.
Thanks for bringing some additional clarity to this. The photo makes it easier for people to make an informed decision about whether these hors d'oeuvres/canapés meet their needs and expectations.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by estnet
Sorry but the pathetic "snacks" that are offered at the other venues aren't much better - most of them I can't eat b/c they contain ham or mayonnaise - and well there just aren't any choices.
I get that the offerings are not like having a lounge, but it used to be better. Making fun of a poster doesn't serve any useful purpose.
I think we have to agree to disagree (and if you remember the old Bar Su offerings just have sad memories of old times). I enjoy the SGS for reasons other than the happy hour - but it is clear that over the last few years options for status have become less and less (eg special breakfast allowing one order , half glass of sparkling wine instead of unlimited, etc.- still this is an option that other hotels don't even have). Note - this is really not any different than other hotels - the trend is surely to give less, but that doesn't mean those of us who remember the "good old times" don't lament loss!
Each of us has different values and make our choices - doesn't mean we have to not respect other peoples opinions!
You point is well taken that there have been cutbacks at the SGS. Particularly as to the Happy Hour food in Bar Su.

I am also not a fan of the last "renovation," which at least facially appears to have been done on the cheap.

Overall, however, breakfast offerings have improved with Rossini's being open for breakfast when it wasn't before.

I suppose it is a matter of what is important to you. If the food at happy hour is a significant issue, there are other hotels that have club lounges and a buffet.

Different strokes for different folks.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:50 pm

There have been a lot of great reviews for this hotel.

I have a choice between this and the St Regis. Which one would you choose?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:17 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by SQTraveller

What are your priorities?

You should check Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Yeah they are really different.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:54 pm

You should check Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yeah they are really different.
I have a deal for US150 per night at St Regis (inc breakfast), while for the SGS I have to go with the normal public price.

Otherwise I don't have any particular preferences.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
I have a deal for US150 per night at St Regis (inc breakfast), while for the SGS I have to go with the normal public price.

Tough to say no to $150 at any St Regis ( unless its Singapore ).

Otherwise its SGS for me everytime
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:07 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV

And that price is what for your dates?

Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:18 pm

And that price is what for your dates?

$180 per night at SGS
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
There is an Amex Singapore S$60 off S$300 at SGS and a few other luxury collection properties.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:28 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit

On average throughout the year St.Regis is $215 according to my records and SGS is $160. At those prices I would pick SGS 95% of the time. However if you are going to pay less for St.Regis than SGS then for me the equation changes completely and I would stay at St.Regis using the deal you have.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

SGS: Bustling, livelier location with direct connection to BTS Sukhumvit line and Terminal 21 mall. Warm, accommodating service. Numerous restaurants and bars, including jazz club. Very good spa and fitness center. Jungle setting pool - not much direct sun and can get crowded, water on the cool side. Room decor kind of tired. Fantastic Platinum treatment. Tour groups from mainland.

StR: Hushed, luxurious feeling. Two elevator set-up, which I always find a bit annoying. More modern rooms than SGS. Rooftop pool with lots of sun and great views. Butler service. Less convenient location (though still connected to BTS and not a bad location). Service can be inconsistent, may not be as accommodating as SGS. No tour groups, overall more upscale clientele.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
IME the SGS in general has more "refined" clientele while the St Regis has more hi-so types.
I remember a couple of times where there were rather badly behaved hi-so types in the pool and wearing bathing suits that "weren't there" - eg more like a g string that left nothing to the imagination. Now I guess some would find this a plus others a minus

Except for this I agree with Kacee's general assessment. The customer service at SR just feels much colder and impersonal to me as well as more inconsistent. This is why it matters what you care about - st SR as titan. I got 1 drink voucher/day, but if you care about happy hour SGS is much more generous with unlimited and mixed drinks available (and could easily make the SR end up costing more if u pay for alcohol), etc. More modern luxurious setting SR...............

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.