Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by puchong
How was this promotion notified? I did not get any such message either by e-mail or in my Marriott account and would never have been able to take advantage of it had I not accidentally seen it in this thread. How do I prevent missing such deals in future?
You can't for certain- I got an email notification today (2 days after the start of the promo), not sure why I didn't get one before it started - but I find ft and other sources more reliable than "bonvoy"
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:46 am
Company Representative - Bangkok.Grande Sukhumvit by Sheraton

Location: 250 Sukhumvit Soi 12-14, Sukhumvit Road, Klongtoey, Bangkok 10110
Originally Posted by puchong
How was this promotion notified? I did not get any such message either by e-mail or in my Marriott account and would never have been able to take advantage of it had I not accidentally seen it in this thread. How do I prevent missing such deals in future?
Dear Reviewers,

I understand your disappointment that you were not notified directly of this special offer. I understand that the direct messaging to members took place after the Facebook Team and the start of the selling date. This has now been brought up to the appropriate corporate office to avoid a re-occurrence and was issued on March 20.

Should you plan to visit us within the promotional period, I will be happy to provide you with the special rate offer.

May I thank you for your understanding.

With kind regards,
Richard Chapman
General Manager
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:20 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
That, of course, is why you stay there only 5% of the time. The hotel is consistently over 90% occupied at the current rates, and I expect that management and the owners see no reason to lower them. Remember, rates are driven more by what the market will bear than by any type of subjective perceived inherent value. That's certainly how I set the rates in my business.
Fully agreed, if I was the owner of the hotel this is how I would handle pricing.

That said, if we had to give advice to first time visitors, these folks would need to keep in mind that if rates are above 5.5-6k THB for their target dates, then one would need to start thinking whether it's good value for the money, despite SGS being a good hotel. There are other excellent options in town.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:29 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Kacee
For me, the biggest draw of SGS is the staff who remember me and treat me like returning family. You'll miss out on that as an occasional guest.
Good point. However I am not convinced that such treatment would not happen at other hotels too, if I was a very regular guest over there. I'll take your word that SGS does better than others in that regard, and I have no reason to believe that you are wrong.

The downside of staying at the same property every time is that you lose out on variety. I personally enjoy bits and pieces of each hotel as they all have their strengths and weaknesses. But I can understand that others prefer stability and have a go-to hotel, which has its advantages too.

If I can be guaranteed a suite (or high chances of a suite) + lounge access in some inferior hotels in inferior locations for 4k-5k THB per night, then having to pay 5.5k THB or more for SGS with only limited chances of a suite upgrade and no lounge, it is why I am hesitant to pull the trigger with regularity on SGS. But I always enjoy my stays at SGS when I book there.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by escape4
The downside of staying at the same property every time is that you lose out on variety. I personally enjoy bits and pieces of each hotel as they all have their strengths and weaknesses. But I can understand that others prefer stability and have a go-to hotel, which has its advantages too.
I agree. It's why I have a tough time deciding where to stay in Bangkok. So many good choices
Assimilated Cajun and escape4 like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:17 am
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Completing a two night stay, have to stay the happy hour is great though no food at all. Ordered some pork satay from the bar menu and was a huge disappointment, had to send the yakitori back. Other easier to solve niggles , 1. With the toilet bowl 2. No rain shower. Very nice property overall.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: Altitude 100K Super Elite; AC Million Miles; Emirates Gold; Bonvoy lifetime Platinum Elite;
Originally Posted by ashkale
Completing a two night stay, have to stay the happy hour is great though no food at all. Ordered some pork satay from the bar menu and was a huge disappointment, had to send the yakitori back. Other easier to solve niggles , 1. With the toilet bowl 2. No rain shower. Very nice property overall.
There always used to be something - is there now no food in the bar area that's provided during happy hour?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 7:35 am
Suspended

There are canapes for a sparrow.
Mustang Sally likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
They're hors d'oeuvres, not meals. Also, you can have more, as many/much as you want. I'm surprised at the report that there was NO food. I've never seen that.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Apr 9, 2019 at 4:23 am
Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:08 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Never in 20 years have I seen nothing offered, as Dr HFH says its not intended as a meal, they are hors d'oeuvres, often very tasty, and a good menu is on offer if you want something more substantial. In addition free Jazz normally of a very high standard and delightful staff who are happy to take care of you
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:22 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
They're hors d'oeuvres, not meals. Also, you can have more, as many/much as you want. I'm surprised at ashkale's report that there was NO food. I've never seen that.
He said there are canapes/hors d'oeuvres/snacks, but he doesn't consider them to be enough to warrant being considered food. He's right. We remember the difference between what Bar Su used to have available and what they provide today. We know the difference between what properties with lounges provide versus what the SGS provides. Different strokes for different folks.
estnet and ashkale like this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:59 am

Anybody wanting the full spread, there are better options elsewhere, like JWM and MMQP and probably the Westin across the street. SGS definitely doesn't offer anything like that, but they excel in other ways

-David
Old Apr 9, 2019, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by yosithezet
He said there are canapes/hors d'oeuvres/snacks, but he doesn't consider them to be enough to warrant being considered food. He's right. We remember the difference between what Bar Su used to have available and what they provide today. We know the difference between what properties with lounges provide versus what the SGS provides. Different strokes for different folks.
They may not be enough to be considered a meal, but they're most definitely food. Thinking about this a little, I agree that the difference is the difference between hotels with an executive lounge and those without. Those which have lounges are accustomed to providing more substantial food options, which can often/usually be a meal. Those which don't have lounges typically serve hors d'oeuvres wherever PLT/TIT Happy Hour is held. But, as above, they're hors d'oeuvres, not meals. Think a cocktail hour with trays being passed.

Another difference is that in hotels with lounges, breakfast is typically served in the lounge, with other food options available during the day, often including sandwiches in the early afternoon. At properties which do not have lounges and serve HH in one of the bars, the bars often don't open until mid-to-late afternoon. There are other differences, too. Hotels with lounges typically have a pour-your-own arrangement for alcoholic beverages, with little to no availability of mixed drinks. Hotels without lounges have a much wider selection of drinks available, as they typically have bartender service.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:10 pm
Suspended

We all know the meaning of hors d'oeuvres , but these are hors d'oeuvres for a sparrow. Popcorn and peanut included. Apart from that its a great property, extensive drink selection, excellent breakfast at the Rossini and very easy location for traffic madness of BKK- felt welcoming all through the stay.
LIH Prem and GalaxyChris like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Assume you are aware that you can ask for additional helpings?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.