Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by uscjeff
Just saw that my SNA was approved (first one ever!) for my stay at the SGS starting this Saturday. I have never been to Thailand before and am very excited - this thread helped me pick the SGS so hoping it lives up to the hype!
Assuming you're staying for leisure, there is no better city hotel for exactly that. Nothing beats starting the day at Rossini's, head out and explore BKK for a bit, then head back to the Sala for a dip, lounging and enjoy their wonderful Pad Thai and Satay poolside at mid afternoon. You can then partake in evening cocktails at one of the three premises (Sala included) and wrap up the night with some world class jazz at The Living Room. I miss this place already.

Either way, enjoy your time there.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Central90210
....enjoy their wonderful Pad Thai
You lost me here.

It's amazing how foreigners love this dish that Thais generally find simply edible.

And that was my 15Kth post... for posterity.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: TG Plat, AF Lifetime Plat , QR plat , SPG Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by dsquared37
You lost me here.

It's amazing how foreigners love this dish that Thais generally find simply edible.

Maybe because foreigners don't want to have the runs on a daily basis ...
Old Jun 28, 2017, 6:49 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
You lost me here.

For me its because no two are the same, but all are good and a perfect match to a nive spicy curry or salad.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Assuming you're staying for leisure, there is no better city hotel for exactly that. Nothing beats starting the day at Rossini's, head out and explore BKK for a bit, then head back to the Sala for a dip, lounging and enjoy their wonderful Pad Thai and Satay poolside at mid afternoon. You can then partake in evening cocktails at one of the three premises (Sala included) and wrap up the night with some world class jazz at The Living Room. I miss this place already.

Either way, enjoy your time there.
Roll on August, you just described a perfect day, !
Old Jun 28, 2017, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lament
Maybe because foreigners don't want to have the runs on a daily basis ...
You can surely get the runs from pad thai: dried shrimp, the sauce, chives, bean sprouts etc all have potential to do that. And obviously the hygiene of the cart/establishment plays a role.

I've found that as familiarity with Thai foods as a whole, and the ability to know dishes and order them, increases people generally move away from the dish.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 7:41 pm

You lost me here.

Do you mean inedible? The truly inedible pad Thai I've experienced in Thailand is the 30 baht pad Thai at the food court in T21.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you mean inedible? The truly inedible pad Thai I've experienced in Thailand is the 30 baht pad Thai at the food court in T21.
No, I mean simply edible, as in, not complex, not awesome, not spicy... but filling. AKA, edible.

You take it another step though in claiming that this cheap, 30 THB dish, was inedible. I'd counter that the more expensive the dish the more foreigners love it...

/shrug
Old Jun 30, 2017, 4:31 am
Company Representative - Bangkok.Grande Sukhumvit by Sheraton

Location: 250 Sukhumvit Soi 12-14, Sukhumvit Road, Klongtoey, Bangkok 10110
Originally Posted by uscjeff
Just saw that my SNA was approved (first one ever!) for my stay at the SGS starting this Saturday. I have never been to Thailand before and am very excited - this thread helped me pick the SGS so hoping it lives up to the hype!
Dear uscjeff,

Please let me know how I can identify you, so that I can make sure you have a memorable time with us.

I look forward to welcoming you on Saturday.

With kind regards,
Richard Chapman
General Manager
Old Jul 3, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KFG, Marriott Plat, AccorG
Usually stay at Westin or 4P, and was considering Renaissance or other Marriotts (free bfast for Golds!) but was thinking of treating myself this time to SGS. (Early November stay.) Was a bit confused by the "Premier" and "Luxury" categories as both had bfast included. (And same room size, so what's the difference? Just the evening cocktails? Would that be worth the additional THB800+?)

As Lifetime Gold, what kind of treatment could I expect? If I booked Premier, would I be upgraded to Luxury? Or do only Platinums get upgrades?

Just curious...thanks!
Old Jul 3, 2017, 6:34 pm

Physically, they are all Grande rooms. so there's no difference in the room. Any Grande room can be booked as a Premier or Luxury room.

Luxury and Premier just add benefits, and you don't get upgraded to them, except that the SPG platinum benefits match the higher one. Room upgrades are to better view, view of the park (away from Sukhumvit), and for platinums, to suites.

-David
Old Jul 3, 2017, 11:30 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
I don't have anything new to add to this thread, but just had to echo the now-nearly-200-pages of previous posts touting what a fantastic property this is. The hotel itself has good bones; while I understand the quibbles with some of the dated interior elements, the various spaces all hold up well (although I must admit I found it awkward to have to tramp through La Sala to get to the pool deck) and largely to my taste. The service is everything one would expect from a luxury hotel in Southeast Asia.

What really sets this property apart, however, is SPG. I could not believe how generous the Platinum benefits are. My wife and I enjoyed a suite upgrade (to an xx12 Luxury suite) w/o an SNA, drinks every evening, hot lattes in the room every morning, amazing breakfast spreads at three different venues, fresh laundry each day, and an occasional afternoon tea. All for my corporate room rate which is less than I usually pay for some nondescript Sheraton in middle America.

I was impressed--but not surprised--to meet Mr. Chapman himself our final evening as he strolled the Library chatting up guests. He clearly takes pride in his property, as he should. Unlike many in this thread, I am not a Bangkok regular, but when I return I'll certainly be back at the SGS. Can't believe I was *this* close to staying at the StR instead...

ETA: Almost forgot to mention one unexpected bonus: the gym is fantastic! Was really surprised to find a full (staffed) weight room in addition to the usual hotel cardio fare.
forumpersona999 likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 11:22 pm

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
For anyone who still didn't believe the orange juice was freshly squeezed this was Rossini's breakfast yesterday plus the delicious crab and prawn omelette-
Attached Images    
Old Jul 8, 2017, 2:22 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Here now and it seems fresh squeezed to me
Old Jul 15, 2017, 12:18 am

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
A great night in the Living room last night with the New Orleans Jazz All Stars playing.Best time was the jam session at the end when 3 All Stars played with Randy Cannon's group.Really enjoyed it.
Attached Images     

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.