Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:52 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Other question: Wasn't this thread much longer at some point? I seem to remember having read something about a movie that was shot at the pool of this hotel, but I can't find the info anymore...does anyone remember? Thanks.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:02 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by attorney28
Other question: Wasn't this thread much longer at some point? I seem to remember having read something about a movie that was shot at the pool of this hotel, but I can't find the info anymore...does anyone remember? Thanks.
Not sure about thread length, but the movie was "Bangkok Dangerous."
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:29 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaE71-1/200.21.118; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

Amazing, the French manager of BarSu still recognized me... "welcome back"
Old Jun 9, 2010, 1:37 am

What upgrades do they offer Platinums? Just Junior Suite? which are the suites with the outdoor patio area? Thanks
Old Jun 9, 2010, 6:41 am
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Originally Posted by chebraccia
What upgrades do they offer Platinums? Just Junior Suite? which are the suites with the outdoor patio area? Thanks
There are no junior suites at this property. You may get a Grande Suite, if available. There are a lot of these. Nice 2 bay suite. At worst, you'll get a Grande Deluxe room. All non suite rooms are similar. Grande Deluxe gives you breakfast, internet, cocktails at BarSu or Living Room, butler service, which will mainly be used to have espresso delivered to room when requested...free, and last, 3 pieces of laundry or pressing on arrival. Great benefits at a great hotel. Enjoy! Plats also get free coffee, tea, soft drinks at The Library until 23.00 and late check out.

There is only one suite with a patio. It's a specialty theme suite so you wont get this one, unless you're a VVIP... If you have to ask, you're not. Other suites have view of the lake, Convention Centre, and old tobacco concession. Bangkok views are not great, but looking down on that spectacular pool always makes me smile.

Last edited by BonViveur; Jun 9, 2010 at 6:56 am Reason: Add x2
Old Jun 9, 2010, 6:43 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by chebraccia
Platinums are frequently upgraded to their standard suite being the Grande Suite, 'grande' is just a fancy name The suites with the outdoor patio areas are speciality suites and are off-limits for Platium upgrades however YMMV but I have not read any recent reports on FT of this type of upgrade happening.

Fwiw I tried asking if I could be upgraded to a speciality suite - had 3 rooms x 4 nights booked so thought I had a slim chance - but it was unsuccesful and ended up in a standard Grande suite
Old Jun 9, 2010, 6:52 am
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Originally Posted by attorney28
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaE71-1/200.21.118; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

Amazing, the French manager of BarSu still recognized me... "welcome back"
Yes, all staff there are great with recognition. I had a weirder experience last week when my car door was opened and I as welcomed by name. It wa my first time at the hotel. I must have looked very bewildered because the doorman quickly added that he used to work at another hotel and remembered me from there. Those Thais have excellent memories.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alanslegal
Platinums are frequently upgraded to their standard suite being the Grande Suite, 'grande' is just a fancy name The suites with the outdoor patio areas are speciality suites and are off-limits for Platium upgrades however YMMV but I have not read any recent reports on FT of this type of upgrade happening.

Fwiw I tried asking if I could be upgraded to a speciality suite - had 3 rooms x 4 nights booked so thought I had a slim chance - but it was unsuccesful and ended up in a standard Grande suite
There are a total of 6 specialty suites AFAIK.
Two of them have balconies.
Upgrades are typically 25,000-30,000 BHT++ per night from the little I understand.
Note that some of these suites are booked longterm (people using them as temporary residences).
I find the Grande Suites to be lovely- especially overlooking the lake/convention centre.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:23 pm
Used to be RichardKopf

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
There are a total of 6 specialty suites AFAIK.
Two of them have balconies.
Upgrades are typically 25,000-30,000 BHT++ per night from the little I understand.
Note that some of these suites are booked longterm (people using them as temporary residences).
I find the Grande Suites to be lovely- especially overlooking the lake/convention centre.
One balcony is the suite overlooking the Sala, with a long deck out from the building. Where is the second? Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichardKopf
One balcony is the suite overlooking the Sala, with a long deck out from the building. Where is the second? Thanks in advance.
I believe the second one is the balcony over top of the Sala- if you look up when you are sitting at the pool- you can see the glimpse of this suite- it is supposed to have a private jacuzzi on its deck- however I have not seen the suite as it has been booked both times I asked about reserving it.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 1:58 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, United 1K, Star Alliance Gold
Checked in last night for a four night stay, upgraded to Grande Suite.

Received the SGS luggage tags in appreciation of my fifth stay at the property.

Occupancy at 40% and they still have some floors closed off.

Service is great and things seem back to normal. Barsu staying open late for World Cup.

Checking out the big Jim Thompson 70% sale at BITEC Bagna.

Edited to add that they are doing construction to the bar at the Sala which should gone on for at least a month longer. Still doesn't detract from the pool really.

Last edited by tncjoey; Jun 12, 2010 at 5:20 am
Old Jun 12, 2010, 12:58 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Qantas FF, Thai Royal Orchid Plus, United, Continental etc
Question from 1st timer to SGS

I am a Plat SPG member and will be booking 3 nights at the SGS fOR Jan'11. It seems as if it is quite common to get an upgrade to a suite, or would I be better off using more points and booking a suite straight up to be sure I get one?
Appreciate your thoughts!
K
Old Jun 12, 2010, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
You can get a suite with double the points I believe ahead of time. Then there are the instant upgrades at check in you can select from if you don't get a suite already, you can upgrade to a higher level suite.

Not sure what SGS offers as I have only stayed there once.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 1:15 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Originally Posted by laaussie
I am a Plat SPG member and will be booking 3 nights at the SGS fOR Jan'11. It seems as if it is quite common to get an upgrade to a suite, or would I be better off using more points and booking a suite straight up to be sure I get one?
Appreciate your thoughts!
K
January is high season.
However standard rooms are not "standard". Quite spacious.
Some of the suites at the SGS have less than desirable floorplans.
Personally, I'd roll the dice because it's not worth the extra points if I don't get a Plat upgrade.

-Scho
Old Jun 12, 2010, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by laaussie
It seems as if it is quite common to get an upgrade to a suite, or would I be better off using more points and booking a suite straight up to be sure I get one?
Originally Posted by schoflyer
January is high season.
However standard rooms are not "standard". Quite spacious. Personally, I'd roll the dice because it's not worth the extra points if I don't get a Plat upgrade.
Hi, laaussie, schoflyer hit it right on. FYI, a lot of PLTs stay here, so your chances for an upgrade are probably 50/50. But the rooms are nice and spacious, huge bathrooms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.