Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
outstanding breakfast in your choice of venues.
This has always been my favorite breakfast in BKK but sadly I'm worried it's on the way down. It appears they have removed both the Indian food and the Shrimp Har Gow dim sum (although other dim sum options remain). 2 things I appreciated for their diversity. Much else remains but generally when I see things starting to disappear it starts to worry me that costs are starting to be looked at and not in a good way.

At least they still have free fresh squeezed imported OJ ^
Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:11 am
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
It appears they have removed both the Indian food and the Shrimp Har Gow dim sum (although other dim sum options remain).
I think you were unlucky. I was there in Dec and again last week and ate Indian and Har Gau in Orchid Cafe, but on a sunny morning, I do love kai jeaw over khao pad poo at the Sala.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:21 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by BonViveur
I think you were unlucky. I was there in Dec and again last week and ate Indian and Har Gau in Orchid Cafe, but on a sunny morning, I do love kai jeaw over khao pad poo at the Sala.
Saw the Indian food at the end of Dec as well.

The one thing that could make their breakfast offering perfect for me would be if they added fresh strawberries and raspberries .
Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by Football Fan

The one thing that could make their breakfast offering perfect for me would be if they added fresh strawberries and raspberries .
I stayed for 5 days and there was only Indian food offered 2 days. Not sure what the reason was. Anyway it was a spectacular offering.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:33 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres

Well, I've got 3 more days of breakfast, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for some chana masala

and I agree, some berries would be lovely, but they have such wonderful local fresh fruit I'll save the berries for a country that grows them locally.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 2:14 am

This has always been my favorite breakfast in BKK but sadly I'm worried it's on the way down. It appears they have removed both the Indian food and the Shrimp Har Gow dim sum (although other dim sum options remain). 2 things I appreciated for their diversity. Much else remains but generally when I see things starting to disappear it starts to worry me that costs are starting to be looked at and not in a good way.

At least they still have free fresh squeezed imported OJ ^
I didn't have any, but there's a separate small station with Indian food to the left of the omelette station, isn't there?

At one point I noticed they shifted things around one day and I asked one of the managers. She told me they change things up a bit every 15 days. The only thing I noticed was that they moved the location of the bread and pastries. I couldn't tell what else changed because all the things I looked for and ate where still there, though moved around a little bit. So maybe it just got shifted around?

-David
Old Jan 9, 2014, 3:46 am

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Another who partook of the Indian food in December.
But when there for the floods in 2012 and the hotel was quite empty a few things did disappear from time to time.Understandable.Have the demonstrations affected occupancy at present?
Old Jan 9, 2014, 7:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by Football Fan

+1. But berries and cherries cost their weight in gold in BKK. Difficult to provide at this price point.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:54 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
It begins...

Dear Valued Grande Club Member

Due to the planned political protest and the uncertain circumstances surrounding the area close to the hotel please be advised that the hotel restaurants will change the operating hours as below.

We will monitor the situation on a daily basis and if further changes are made we will inform you.

Effective from Monday, 13 January 2014 until further notice

Rossini’s - Closed for lunch, dinner operating as usual
Basil - Closed for lunch, dinner operating as usual
Sala - Breakfast buffet cancelled on weekdays (Monday-Friday), Weekend (Saturday-Sunday) is operating as usual
Orchid Caf? - Dinner buffet is cancelled, a la carte available only
Old Jan 9, 2014, 9:23 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA Ex Plat
Originally Posted by yosithezet
It begins...
Yet still reluctant to lower rates.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 10:13 pm

Programs: SPG Plat Lifetime, CX Diamond, LH SEN, TK Elite / *A Gold
Originally Posted by xxpert
Because nobody gives a damn... so far...
IMO the SGS uses this as a kind of disclaimer or to counter any complaining FT'lers and other frequent quibbler "in case".

From http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/poli...mers-stay-calm, this statement say a lot about the perception of local people in BKK of the protests:
"...I think this demonstration involves educated people, unlike the red-shirt protest in 2010. They all have to work and feed their families. The demonstrations are just to urge Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to quit, while the Army will be asked to step in if any violence occurs."
Old Jan 9, 2014, 11:33 pm
Company Representative - Bangkok.Grande Sukhumvit by Sheraton

Location: 250 Sukhumvit Soi 12-14, Sukhumvit Road, Klongtoey, Bangkok 10110
Well, I've got 3 more days of breakfast, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for some chana masala

and I agree, some berries would be lovely, but they have such wonderful local fresh fruit I'll save the berries for a country that grows them locally.

Dear TravelinSperry,

First may I apologize for the paint smell, which escaped and was not contained within the renovation area. Once we realized this, additional extract fans were switched on to suck the smell out of the hotel. Should it happen again, please let us know so that we can move you to an area not affected.

With regard to the breakfast buffet selection Indian items and dim sums are available every day. We do rotate the actual items to provide variety.

With kind regards,

Richard Chapman
General Manager
Old Jan 10, 2014, 1:25 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by xxpert
+1. PA is now about more than 30% cheaper.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit Bangkok
Dear TravelinSperry,

First may I apologize for the paint smell, which escaped and was not contained within the renovation area. Once we realized this, additional extract fans were switched on to suck the smell out of the hotel. Should it happen again, please let us know so that we can move you to an area not affected.

With regard to the breakfast buffet selection Indian items and dim sums are available every day. We do rotate the actual items to provide variety.

With kind regards,

Richard Chapman
General Manager
Thank you. I have noticed the paint smell has lessened since the first day of my stay. I was going to request moving rooms - but since it lessened didn't need to. Assuming it stays at this level (or continues to get better), I'll be fine.

As for breakfast, the Indian was not there 2 days - or at least I didn't notice it. It used to be in front of the omelette station next to the dim sum. But perhaps it was moved to an alternate location and in my sleepy haze I didn't find it I'll check more thoroughly tomorrow and bring a hearty appetite

btw, one suggestion. You allow smokers in the pool area. Today there were many and it makes it very difficult for non-smokers to enjoy laying by the pool. There were limited seats and I had a smoker on either side of me for a while (until someone left on the other side of the pool). Perhaps you can consider making some of the seating non-smoking? Since it's such a small pool area - just having a few smokers can ruin it for everyone else. Or even consider making the whole pool area non-smoking.

Last edited by TravelinSperry; Jan 10, 2014 at 3:59 am
Old Jan 11, 2014, 11:56 pm

deleted

Last edited by kudroz; Oct 8, 2017 at 8:57 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.