Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Hawaii (all islands)

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Hawaii (all islands)

Old Dec 11, 19, 12:40 am

Question Recommendations for 35K hotel in Oahu or Hawaii

I'm planning a Hawaiian trip for two and want to use three 35K or less certificates I received as a CC signup bonus for part of our stay in Hawaii. We're planning on visiting Maui, Oahu and the big island. I have Hilton points for Maui so I'm looking to use the Marriott certs for Oahu or the big island. We're planning on using between Jan 6 and Jan 11. Unfortunately there's a limited selection of less than 35,000 point/night hotels to choose from. In the big island there is:
Courtyard King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
  • $22 resort fee
  • $25 parking
  • Seems to be basic hotel but in the middle of town.
  • Mixed reviews

Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
  • $30 resort fee
  • $20 parking
  • More remote
  • Manta Rays
  • Mixed reviews
Residence Inn Oahu Kapolei
  • No Resort Fees
  • $25 parking
  • Not on the ocean
  • Free breakfast
Courtyard Oahu North Shore
  • No Resort Fees
  • $15 parking
  • A little remote
Obviously I've done a little research but an still conflicted on which to choose. The Residence Inn seems appealing because of the lack of resort fees and free breakfast which would save us quite a bit. I would really appreciate any advice from someone with personal experiences at any of these properties as I have never been to Hawaii and I am not sure what to expect. We only have Silver status so I don't think we can expect any free breakfast or lounge access at the resorts. Which of these properties would you stay at?
Old Dec 11, 19, 9:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by superdav42 View Post
I would really appreciate any advice from someone with personal experiences at any of these properties as I have never been to Hawaii and I am not sure what to expect. We only have Silver status so I don't think we can expect any free breakfast or lounge access at the resorts. Which of these properties would you stay at?
I haven't stayed at any these properties, but I'm familiar with their locations and surroundings. I even drove by the Residence Inn construction site in Kapolei seven months ago, specifically to see where the property is.

None of them qualify as "great resorts," but I would gladly stay at any of them. Allow me to add a few points for your consideration:

— Only hotel on this list with a beach (albeit a small one)
— Older property which has been a Hilton and unbranded over the years
— In the heart of the town of Kona

— Former Kona Surf Hotel, opened in 1971
— Dramatic oceanfront resort, but without a beach
— Don't know if Silver Elite will score an upgrade to an ocean-view room

— Brand new hotel, so it should be in great condition
— Located in a new suburban community
— Only a few miles from the Ko Olina Resort area, but parking is limited there
— Decent base for visits to the North Shore
— Freeway access to Pearl Harbor and Waikiki, but slow traffic during commute times

— Newer hotel
— Located at the Polynesian Cultural Center
— No alcohol is served in the town of Laie
— Decent base for visits to the North Shore

Which hotel is best depends on what you want to do on the Big Island and Oahu.
Old Dec 11, 19, 10:27 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, OW Ruby
I'm a big fan of the Sheraton Kona Resort.

Stayed 10+ time.

Great pools. Nice all round hotel.

No beach yes, but if you have a rental car , you can visit any place you want.
Old Dec 11, 19, 4:43 pm

Programs: HA - Pualani Plat; Avis FIRST; Emerald Club Executive
I'm planning a Hawaiian trip for two and want to use three 35K or less certificates I received as a CC signup bonus for part of our stay in Hawaii. We're planning on visiting Maui, Oahu and the big island. I have Hilton points for Maui so I'm looking to use the Marriott certs for Oahu or the big island. We're planning on using between Jan 6 and Jan 11. Unfortunately there's a limited selection of less than 35,000 point/night hotels to choose from. In the big island there is:
  • $22 resort fee
  • $25 parking
  • Mixed reviews

• $30 resort fee
  • $20 parking
  • More remote
  • Manta Rays
  • Mixed reviews
  • No Resort Fees
  • $25 parking
  • Not on the ocean
  • Free breakfast
  • No Resort Fees
  • $15 parking
  • A little remote
Obviously I've done a little research but an still conflicted on which to choose. The Residence Inn seems appealing because of the lack of resort fees and free breakfast which would save us quite a bit. I would really appreciate any advice from someone with personal experiences at any of these properties as I have never been to Hawaii and I am not sure what to expect. We only have Silver status so I don't think we can expect any free breakfast or lounge access at the resorts. Which of these properties would you stay at?
Just stayed at the Sheraton Kona Resort in November 2019. First night of valet parking is included:

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hote...t-keauhou-bay/ >>scroll all the way down to Related Documents > Resort Fee Inclusion https://www.marriott.com/hotelwebsit...ort_Charge.pdf

I showed them their website at checkout and the first night of valet parking was removed with no hassle
Old Dec 11, 19, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I'd stay at the Sheraton Kona - I've been there a few times. Large pool with decent slide - not far from Kona restaurants. It is right on the water. You'll feel like you are on a Hawaiian vacation.

I could not fathom staying at a hotel in Kapolei unless I was on the West side of Oahu for business.

The Courtyard on the North Shore is in a decent location to explore the North Shore - it isn't on the beach and can't speak to the pool. No alcohol as mentioned.

Can't speak to the Courtyard Kona - can't recall the location.
Old Dec 12, 19, 5:15 pm

Programs: MR Platinum
On Oahu, I would choose the Residence Inn in Kapolei over the Courtyard on the North Shore. It takes a while to get most places from the North Shore, unless you are going to Polynesian Cultural Center. Kapolei is also out of the way but less so, and provides you more options - The town of Kapolei has lots of dining options and Costco is great for souvenirs. I assume you have the option of going to Ko Olina resort and paying for parking at one of the hotels (I usually park as a guest, but I assume there is paid public parking). You can also try parking at the marina in Ko Olina (could be cheaper than hotel parking). Then you can access the four lagoons at Ko Olina and there are numerous dining options in the resort..
Old Dec 12, 19, 11:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy Ambassador
  • $22 resort fee
  • $25 parking
  • Mixed reviews

• $30 resort fee
  • $20 parking
  • More remote
  • Manta Rays
  • Mixed reviews
  • No Resort Fees
  • $25 parking
  • Not on the ocean
  • Free breakfast
  • No Resort Fees
  • $15 parking
  • A little remote
As a North Shore resident, only stay at The North Shore Courtyard if you plan to visit the Polynesian cultural center for the entire day. I wouldn’t recommend it as it is far from tourist destinations on Oahu.

Kapolei is ok to be based out of to explore West Oahu, but it won’t have the same vacation feel. I haven’t stayed at this property.

i would recommend the Kona Sheraton, as the property gives you a vacation feel. It’s close to restaurants and has a Manta Ray lookout.

I haven’t stayed at the other Kona reaort.
Old Feb 14, 20, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
As an owner at Ko Olina Beach Club on Oahu, I am partial to the property. I don't know if you can drop your kid off at the kids club, but there is a paid baby sitting service (we have never used it, our kids take a long time to warm up to strangers).

The lagoon and kids pool are both toddler friendly. There is also Disney Aulani and a Four Seasons (used to be the JW Marriott Ihilani) within walking distance two lagoons over, so there is decent number of dining options without driving. There are some other restaurants within the Ko Olina resort but I don't consider them walkable with a 3-year old and pregnant wife. If you get a rental car, town of Kapolei is only a few miles away and has ample shopping/dining options.

Ko Olina is pretty quiet as it takes a little time/effort to get there. I think KOBC will suit your needs well. Since you have tons of points, see if you can book a two-bedroom unit. It is pretty much a two bedroom condo, with a full kitchen and washer/dryer, with two king size beds (one in each bedroom) and a pull out sleeper on the sofa in the living room.
Not like I have the points at the moment, but I was doing some dummy bookings and I noticed that the Ko'Olina Beach Club is pretty much showing zero award availability, ever. Are they a property that you can get award rooms?
Old Feb 14, 20, 3:33 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SouthWest A-List; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Discoverist
Yes, it can happen, but given it is NOT a hotel but a timeshare property, award room availability is based on different rules as Marriott doesn't have the same control over inventory like it does at a hotel. Basically, an owner has to give Marriott their "week" in exchange for Marriott Bonvoy points. Otherwise, the owner keeps control over their week, not Marriott. And in more expensive locations (i.e. Hawaii), it's usually not worth it to most owners to trade in their week for points. So generally you won't see a lot of award availability for those locations.
Old Feb 14, 20, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01 View Post
Yes, it can happen, but given it is NOT a hotel but a timeshare property, award room availability is based on different rules as Marriott doesn't have the same control over inventory like it does at a hotel. Basically, an owner has to give Marriott their "week" in exchange for Marriott Bonvoy points. Otherwise, the owner keeps control over their week, not Marriott. And in more expensive locations (i.e. Hawaii), it's usually not worth it to most owners to trade in their week for points. So generally you won't see a lot of award availability for those locations.
Thanks for the clarification. I had a feeling they were not "really" a hotel but I wasn't sure since they were showing up on the Marriott website for booking at cash rates. That makes a lot of sense, and would also explain why the Category level for the property is a super good value, unlike most hotels in Hawaii.
Old Feb 15, 20, 12:19 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3.5MM, Bonvoy LIFETIME Titanium Elite, HH Diamd, Priority Clb PLT, Ntnl Exec, Sixt PLT
I'm planning a Hawaiian trip for two and want to use three 35K or less certificates I received as a CC signup bonus for part of our stay in Hawaii...
  • $30 resort fee
  • $20 parking
  • More remote
  • Manta Rays
  • Mixed reviews
We only have Silver status so I don't think we can expect any free breakfast or lounge access at the resorts. Which of these properties would you stay at?
- I would also suggest Sheraton Kona. I have stayed there three times with two being at a conference. No swimming beach nearby unless you drive but a good spot to explore areas further south. Good views for the oceanfront property. Finally, you will be on a big island where you can easily find other accommodations for the rest of your vacation.

Finally, if you book before March 4, 2020, you can still find Sheraton Kauai for 35K/night before it would go up in category. That Sheraton has a great beach. I love Kauai and I have been there at least a dozen times.
Old Feb 15, 20, 12:53 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Alex_I View Post
- I would also suggest Sheraton Kona.
Property is re-flagging to Outrigger sometime in April.
Old Feb 16, 20, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.5MM, Bonvoy LIFETIME Titanium Elite, HH Diamd, Priority Clb PLT, Ntnl Exec, Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by Tanic View Post
Property is re-flagging to Outrigger sometime in April.
Indeed! No reward reservations starting April15, 2020. Thank you for letting us know.

Last edited by Alex_I; Feb 16, 20 at 7:03 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 21, 20, 2:18 am

Programs: MR Platinum
Originally Posted by HIFlya View Post
Not like I have the points at the moment, but I was doing some dummy bookings and I noticed that the Ko'Olina Beach Club is pretty much showing zero award availability, ever. Are they a property that you can get award rooms?
Sorry for the delay in replying. You can definitely get reward rooms at KOBC.

Also, to add to what hhoope01 said. Owners can list the room for rent, and then share proceeds with Marriott. That's not a terribly good way to use one's ownership either though.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: