Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Hawaii (all islands)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Hawaii (all islands)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2009, 11:05 am

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
I have also stayed @ Ko Olina and found it very comfortable. If you do not want to dine at the hotel there is a town within 5 minutes with a lot of dining options. The gym is also nice. Also, you can take a 10 minute walk along the beach to the J.W.
The units a very spacious and include a full kitchen plus a washer/dryer which is handy if you are going to invite your family. Mahalo
Old Mar 14, 2009, 1:19 pm

When are you going? Trip Advisor reports that Disney has started to build a resort right next to the Ihilani. That noise and mess won't likely be too pleasant.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 8:35 am

I'm going to Hawaii as well in September. We're getting married on Oahu and then going to Maui for the remainder of the trip. Any other suggestions from the veterans here on places to stay or must-do activities? Thanks in advance for any info you may pass along...
Old Mar 15, 2009, 9:32 am

Programs: BA Avios
IMHO, I would stay in Maui!

I have been to Hawai'i from 60-70 times over the last decade (both business and pleasure) and love many things about Oahu, however, when it comes to things to do with kids, etc., I would choose Maui.

I also believe that, from my point of view, if I were going to Oahu, I would NOT stay at Ko' Olina (I played a lotta golf there, though) due to it being so far from everything and the traffic you have to fight to move around...again, partial to Hilton Hawaiian Village in Waikiki...so that kinda tells you where I'm coming from.

Regardless of your choice...you will find Hawai'i to be a great vacation!

Mahalo Nui Loa!
Old Mar 15, 2009, 9:40 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
In 2007 wife and I spent a week at the Wailea on Maui, and it is absolutely great.

What's nice is that it's tucked away in the resort community so there's not the hustle and bustle of town, but "town" is only 5 minutes away if you want/need something. Plus, all the other resorts around make it so you aren't tied down to doing everything at the resort. For example, my wife went next door to the Grand Wailea to get a spa treatment. We also went to eat at a restaurant called Capiche at another resort that was simply the finest meal I've ever had.

Oahu is nice, but we love Maui.^
Old Mar 15, 2009, 5:05 pm

I am staying in KoOlina now I'm always surprised about people who say its isolated - it is a half hour to airport, 10 min to nice town Kapolei and about 40 min to North shore (closer than from Honolulu). For me I prefer not to go to Honolulu except to see maybe the palace, I don't need to go to hawaii for a big city

far nicer beach for surfing is Great Plains compared to Waikiki

My family was with me at KoOlina for 2 weeks - went surfing, mountain biking snorkeling in lagoons, arizona memorial, etc

lagoons are terrific for little ones, scenery is beautiful and far less crowded than kaanapali beach
Old Mar 15, 2009, 8:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
Thanks to everyone for your terrific advice. Sounds like I really can't go wrong wherever we stay in Marriott Hawaii, but I think Marriott Ko Olina definitely has an edge. The only downside I can see right now is the nearly $30/nite for parking. That seems like verging on extortion. Is there any way to avoid this, short of just not renting a car? We've been to all the islands multiple times before, but we were always on a fairly tight budget. This is the first time we can go and not be overly concerned with costs.

Last edited by maltasr; Mar 15, 2009 at 8:20 pm Reason: Additional information
Old Mar 15, 2009, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by maltasr
Thanks to everyone for your terrific advice. Sounds like I really can't go wrong wherever we stay in Marriott Hawaii, but I think Marriott Ko Olina definitely has an edge. The only downside I can see right now is the nearly $30/nite for parking. That seems like verging on extortion. Is there any way to avoid this, short of just not renting a car? We've been to all the islands multiple times before, but we were always on a fairly tight budget. This is the first time we can go and not be overly concerned with costs.
If you rent timeshare at KoOlina from owner it comes with free parking, otherwise just pay parking at hotel at KoOlina, think it also costs to park at hotels in Waikiki. maybe you can call, might be able to rent car from airport to koOlina, return at hotel if you will be on site for a few days, then rent again for a day to see sights around island and return to airport
Old Mar 16, 2009, 10:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
Boo, Hiss Marriott

Today I received a reply from the CS office in SLC saying I could only reserve a "Guest Room" at the Ko Olina. We wanted a one bedroom unit with kitchen in the worst way, but it's just not going to happen at this property and I would assume all of the other "Vacation Club" properties in Hawaii. Any recommendations for other properties, perhaps in the Caribbean, that would include suite-type accommodations rather that just a "guest room?" Needless to say, at this point we are very disappointed!
Old Mar 17, 2009, 12:16 pm

Today I received a reply from the CS office in SLC saying I could only reserve a "Guest Room" at the Ko Olina. We wanted a one bedroom unit with kitchen in the worst way, but it's just not going to happen at this property and I would assume all of the other "Vacation Club" properties in Hawaii. Any recommendations for other properties, perhaps in the Caribbean, that would include suite-type accommodations rather that just a "guest room?" Needless to say, at this point we are very disappointed!
Have you looked online at marriott.com?
Old Mar 17, 2009, 6:52 pm

Aruba Ocean Club Should Work Fine

Originally Posted by jerseygirl
Have you looked online at marriott.com?
I did scour the Marriott web site and found the Aruba Ocean Club to be the near perfect fit. Reserved a suite for five nights in October. We've been to Aruba and liked the dry and arid climate, even though we would still prefer the humid tradewinds of Hawaii. Overall, I think Aruba property should offer all of the amenities we are in search of. Thank you for your assistance.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
Some hints on booking at MVC resorts

A few comments on booking at the Marriott timeshare resorts ( such as KoOlina, Waiohai, or Maui ).

Marriott does indeed have units availible via Marriott.com -- use expanded search capability and check 'Marriott Vacation club'.

The amount of inventory on hand will vary widely according to specific resort and season. Keep in mind that MVC owners always hold preference for bookings and that the bookings which become availible through Marriott.com come about from weeks that owners deposit with Marriott in exchange for points, or via a rental program that Marriott has established for owners. It's a hit or miss proposition for a non-MVC owner to find a booking at the more popular MVC resorts. If you come up empty, keep searching, but do establish other hotel reservations if nothing materializes. Another source of of availibility at MVC resorts comes by booking resort preview tours ( timeshare presentations ) which are usually offered at a discounted price, though for a limited number of days. Sometimes one can purchase additional days to extend a stay at an MVC resort. A final source is to directly rent a week from a resort owner. Check out sites such as TUG ( timeshare user group ) to find owner rental ads for the various resorts.

Hawaii MVC weeks are rated as "high" season weeks year round. So there exists a lot of demand within the timeshare world from owners who occupy and other owners who trade into Hawaii making inventory to Marriott.com folks a limited thing. Always keep checking as units do pop up as owners make last minute changes.

Barry
Old Mar 18, 2009, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
A few thoughts on Marriott hotels in Hawaii.

Keep in mind that each island is an entirely different entity. So you want to research the islands and see which one fits your own travel personna and interests. Oahu is more of an urban holiday if one stays in Waikiki while venturing out to the Ihilani takes you out of the city, but keeps you close enough if you want nightlife. Kauai is a very quiet island for honeymooners and those who want a slow vacation while Maui is kind of in between with great sunsets, and Haleakala volcano. And then there's the Big Island with the active volcano and beautiful coast.

The good news is that Marriott has hotels or MVC resorts where you can enjoy a nice stay on the island of your choice. If one only has a week, I'd suggest Maui for the eco diversity though an urban-minded traveler would enjoy Oahu as well. Ten days or more allows one to craft a two island holiday. If you're gonna split a week, then I'd make it a 3/4 day split with Oahu being the 3 day destination.

Once again, my thoughts are subjective, but my main point is to emphasize how diverse those beautiful islands are and how with a little planning, you can find your own paradise.

Barry
Old Mar 18, 2009, 1:38 pm

Programs: MR Platinum Premier, HH Silver, National Exec Elite, USAirways Silver
Originally Posted by jerseyfinn
A few thoughts on Marriott hotels in Hawaii.

Keep in mind that each island is an entirely different entity. So you want to research the islands and see which one fits your own travel personna and interests. Oahu is more of an urban holiday if one stays in Waikiki while venturing out to the Ihilani takes you out of the city, but keeps you close enough if you want nightlife. Kauai is a very quiet island for honeymooners and those who want a slow vacation while Maui is kind of in between with great sunsets, and Haleakala volcano. And then there's the Big Island with the active volcano and beautiful coast.

The good news is that Marriott has hotels or MVC resorts where you can enjoy a nice stay on the island of your choice. If one only has a week, I'd suggest Maui for the eco diversity though an urban-minded traveler would enjoy Oahu as well. Ten days or more allows one to craft a two island holiday. If you're gonna split a week, then I'd make it a 3/4 day split with Oahu being the 3 day destination.

Once again, my thoughts are subjective, but my main point is to emphasize how diverse those beautiful islands are and how with a little planning, you can find your own paradise.

Barry
"Do you concur? I concur!" I've got a trip planned 4/15-4/25 on points (travel package booked before 1/15). I've been to Hawaii twice but my girlfriend has never been so she chose the destination. I've been to Oahu, Kauai, and Maui. Never to the big island. We're planning 10 days mainly because it's damn hard to take more time off of work and because I think 1 week just isn't quite enough. Especially if you want to do more than 1 island. Maui is by far my favorite island and I completely echo the sentiments of the poster I quoted. Kauai is fantastic if you're big into quiet, hiking, camping etc. Oahu was my least favorite mainly because I looked at Waikiki as kind of a Ocean City, MD or Wildwood NJ.... Others will disagree and I definitely still enjoyed the time spent there, but that was the feeling I got of the place. The 10 days we're staying there we have split 7 days in Maui and 3 days in Oahu. No hotel booked in Oahu yet (although I like the Prince and HHV). Staying at the Maui Wailea in Maui. I've never stayed here but based on reviews I think it should be fantastic.

Bottom line, I have nothing to add except to echo exactly what the above poster stated and to make myself feel good about the upcoming vacation!
Old Mar 18, 2009, 3:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
We loved all of Kauai, Maui, and the Big Island for different reasons. Maui is still probably our #1 - mainly due to the Renaissance Wailea (this was 2002) and a couple of gorgeous daytrips we took around to the less-populated side of the island. At the time, the Outrigger (now the Marriott Wailea) appeared to be a step down from the Renaissance. But I understand a lot of money has been pumped into renovations there.

Kauai was a close second; we had a great stay at the Marriott Kauai and were treated wonderfully even though we were only Golds at the time.

Our Big Island and Oahu stays were HHV and HWV. Those two are both very good properties in the HHonors program. No experience with Marriotts on those islands. Oahu wasn't really our style, but that wasn't Hilton's fault.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.