Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Reservations email address: [email protected]

Hotel's own website: https://www.royal-hawaiian.com/
Print Wikipost

Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by leemaj
I have a trip planned next year as well. Curious to hear peoples thoughts on upgrades and breakfast
Can confirm from my trip last week. Bfast is covered (me and plus one) for Plats. The spread is absolutely terrific. I asked for an upgrade and got an ocean view 1 BR suite. The room was on the 2nd floor and the trees are so high outside the hotel that it was tough to see the ocean but agree that the room definitely has a dated feel to it.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:01 pm
formerly leemaj

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium and LTP, Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold, SW Companion Pass
Thanks for the updates! I booked the RC Waikiki on points instead. No free breakfast but also no resort fee so it should even out
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:49 am

Going later this month for 5 nights. Have SNA request in. Curious how many people have not received their suite!? Which suite is the typical upgrade to? Do they get lounge access to the Mailani Tower? Mahalo!
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: United Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Club, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz President, Avis President
Couple of notes

Here now, so wanted to post a couple of observations. Full breakfast buffet for platinums. Typical American items like bacon, sausage and eggs as well as miso soap, fish and rice. Ordering of the menu, used to be a $15 up charge, is now full price, but the buffet is pretty varied so not a big deal. I would recommend trying the loco moco one day, even if you have to pay for it. They have all the materess out on the balconies of some of the floors. Seems like they are doing some work now that the holiday rush is over. There is no real construction noise, so not sure what is up, maybe a deep clean or new beds, but I don’t think it’s a full remodel as there is no annocement and I haven’t noticed the usual construction mess of a full remodel. Be curious to see if anyone in the near future notices any changes.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:50 pm

What suite do they typically give for the suite upgrade?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Also, is the lounge available to all Plat guests, or only for Tower guests?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: NH Dia/SFlyer, JL Crystal/JGC, MB Plat, WoHyatt Glob, IHG Dia Amb, HHonors Dia
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Also, is the lounge available to all Plat guests, or only for Tower guests?
As of February last year the lounge was available to all Plat guests. But it’s really nothing to write home about. Sparse food selection and crowded.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shonanroger

As of February last year the lounge was available to all Plat guests. But it’s really nothing to write home about. Sparse food selection and crowded.
I've heard it was bad, but thought Sharon could use the info for her lounge wiki. Thanks!
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I've heard it was bad, but thought Sharon could use the info for her lounge wiki. Thanks!
I appreciate that so thanks , but what I need for the exec lounge sticky is open/closed, if closed or no lounge, what do they do for breakfast (aka, cont'l, full, etc) - aka, a snapshot/cliff note version. More details such as lousy offerings or crowded should go in the property threads.

I appreciate the updates on the 4 properties you mentioned in the other thread, so updated the sticky w/ that info. Although now I'm getting confused w/ the RH because there's a report of no lounge & is a lounge & also full buffet (is that the PAG option)?

Cheers.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a lounge with minimal offering, both for breakfast and evening cocktail, at Mailani Tower lobby. Yes, it is just a fenced off area in tower lobby, not a separate room.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by TerryK
There is a lounge with minimal offering, both for breakfast and evening cocktail, at Mailani Tower lobby. Yes, it is just a fenced off area in tower lobby, not a separate room.
So is the full breakfast the PAG option?

Cheers.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I appreciate that so thanks , but what I need for the exec lounge sticky is open/closed, if closed or no lounge, what do they do for breakfast (aka, cont'l, full, etc) - aka, a snapshot/cliff note version. More details such as lousy offerings or crowded should go in the property threads.

I appreciate the updates on the 4 properties you mentioned in the other thread, so updated the sticky w/ that info. Although now I'm getting confused w/ the RH because there's a report of no lounge & is a lounge & also full buffet (is that the PAG option)?

Cheers.
All the Waikiki lounges are OPEN on weekends. Not like it's a Mon-Fri kind of place.

The lounge at the RH is relatively new which is why you may be getting conflicting information.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
So is the full breakfast the PAG option?

Cheers.
Yes. You can choose points and get a light breakfast at lounge or full breakfast.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:37 pm

Programs: United Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Club, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz President, Avis President
"full breakfast" meaning the hot buffet in the restaurant. The buffet is extensive and good, but you are not allowed to officially order of the menu.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:16 pm

So just got back from our third stay at RH. We are plat. Here's a quick report.

Had a five night garden view booked on points. Used my suite upgrades and was upgraded to a "garden view" one bedroom suite. However, the garden view overlooked the Sheraton pool and the ocean beyond that from one wall of windows so was perfectly nice. We had the RH valet out one side but it was almost silent but for a few drunks stumbling in one night. This is in the old building which I actually thought was in better condition than the newer building.

As plat you get choice of 1,000 points, bottle of wine, or full breakfast for two at Surf Lanai The full breakfast is an almost unchanging daily buffet. Bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, Japanese items, some fresh fruit, cereal, breads, etc.... About the same as the lounge at a lot of properties. It was fine. The service was good and employees friendly so it was good.

As a plat we also could have accessed the breakfast in the lounge though we chose not to. They say they don't have a lounge but they do and it's as nice as most properties though no tv. However, the benefit is you get wine/beer each night from 5:00 to 7:30 I think it was with appetizers. It's an open air lounge and the air is just about always perfect there.

It's not a true "five star" hotel as many have noted but it's a solid 4.5. The housekeeper greeted us by name each time we saw her, the staff at the Mai Tai bar was very friendly, beach chair set up good though food/drink slow and no booze allowed on beach (officially). Check-in was fine though room wasn't ready until about 3.

All in all a nice stay and we will do it again in the future!
margarita girl, Kacee and patmcpsu like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.