Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]

Old Oct 27, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Reservations email address: [email protected]

Hotel's own website: https://www.royal-hawaiian.com/
Print Wikipost

Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]

Old Jun 24, 2018, 7:26 pm

Ok thanks for your help so far!

I thought Plats had lounge access here. We may be out anyways but it's nice to have the option.

Are there good alternatives for breakfast nearby?
Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:30 pm

I always get lounge access when I go.
Waikiki Yokocho Gourmet Alley ??????????????? is about 5 min walk from the hotel. If you like japanese food, they have 10+ different restaurants in there. The price is great.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:42 am
JBD

Booking through Virtuoso, Breakfast at Duke's

Originally Posted by onebagtraveller
...3. Any other tips to enjoy the stay would be very much appreciated!
Unless your stay is on points you should check out the rates for booking through Virtuoso. If they're currently offering a promo (like the one now seen where you get the 4th night off), then chances are Virtuoso would beat SPG's best offers. Here's the Royal's listing on Virtuoso.

But even without a promo Virtuoso can often beat SPG's rates if you factor in the Virtuoso amenities:

Virtuoso Amenities for your stay

• For 2018:
  • Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability
  • Full breakfast daily for two guests at Surf Lanai restaurant
  • $100 USD equivalent Resort or Hotel credit to be utilized during stay (not combinable, not valid on room rate, no cash value if not redeemed in full, excludes alcohol and retail shops)
  • Daily resort charge waived, benefits included
  • Early check-in/late check-out, subject to availability
  • Complimentary Wi-Fi
...Are there good alternatives for breakfast nearby?
I actually haven't stayed there in years, but I used to like walking over to Duke's via the beach. Duke's is right next door that way (it's in the Outrigger Hotel). They have an $18 Breakfast Buffet - but I'd go there for lunches (burgers and hula pie)

Old Jun 28, 2018, 9:30 am

That's great! Thank you for your help.

I had come across Duke's in my readings but it's nice to get another vote for it especially on FT.

Looking forward to our stay!

Thanks again!
Old Jun 29, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
That's great! Thank you for your help.

I had come across Duke's in my readings but it's nice to get another vote for it especially on FT.

Looking forward to our stay!

Thanks again!
Another vote for breakfast at Dukes - one of my favorites (Im usually in HNL a couple times/year and breakfast at Dukes at least once/visit is one of my must dos). If you dont mind a bit of a walk, Cinnamons at the Ikiki is also great (and without the drive to Kailua). Then again, the guava pancakes at Surf Lanai are also ono.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:10 pm

Programs: United Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Club, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz President, Avis President
Platinum now include full breakfast buffet

As of 18 August, Platinum amenity went from continental buffet to full breakfast buffet with limited add on items. ...big upgrade, but we will see if it sticks
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by joelliot
As of 18 August, Platinum amenity went from continental buffet to full breakfast buffet with limited add on items. ...big upgrade, but we will see if it sticks
Anyone had experience on this Post 8/18?
Anyone had experience on this during the strike?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:29 am

looks like the strike is finished. Still looking for any recent experiences/advice about the hotel. Seems like tripadvisor is more useful recently...
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by lewinr
looks like the strike is finished. Still looking for any recent experiences/advice about the hotel. Seems like tripadvisor is more useful recently...
Marriott may have lucked out some. Waikiki is DEAD this week. Eerily so. Not quite post 9/11 levels, but this is the least number of people I remember seeing here since. This will allow Marriott to fire the local temp help, send the mainland help back home, and spool normal operations back up fairly seamlessly. May even saunter over to the Royal and see if I can get a proper ($14) Mai Tai and hear some Slack Key this evening.... assuming the Mai Tai Bar is reopened. Will advise.
There were Bell Hops and Valets outside the Sheraton Waikiki and Moana Surfrider when we walked past this am at 7:45

Cancelled our res at the Royal last month in the height of the strike and booked at the Embassy Suites. Nobody staying here either. The sidewalks on Kalakaua are empty. H1 and Nimitz traffic was lighter as well.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by xzh445

Marriott may have lucked out some. Waikiki is DEAD this week. Eerily so. ................ The sidewalks on Kalakaua are empty. H1 and Nimitz traffic was lighter as well.
Nothing new about this. This is ALWAYS a very low period for tourism to Oahu, between Thanksgiving and pre-Christmas. It's the reason the Honolulu Marathon is held during this period (Dec. 9 this year). To muster up business.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by clublounger
Nothing new about this. This is ALWAYS a very low period for tourism to Oahu, between Thanksgiving and pre-Christmas. It's the reason the Honolulu Marathon is held during this period (Dec. 9 this year). To muster up business.
Yep. One of the cheapest times of the entire year to visit. Weather hit or miss.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:52 am

What are the chances of a 5 night SNA clearing? We're planning to go during my kids during break.

The rooms do look dated, is the tower newer? But I'm reading that it's tough to get upgraded to the tower.. Are there any other SPG/Marriott hotels that are worth trying? Platinum premier here, am really curious if the Royal Hawaiian really is doing the full buffet breakfast!
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:51 am
formerly leemaj

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium and LTP, Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold, SW Companion Pass
Originally Posted by erics2356
What are the chances of a 5 night SNA clearing? We're planning to go during my kids during break.

The rooms do look dated, is the tower newer? But I'm reading that it's tough to get upgraded to the tower.. Are there any other SPG/Marriott hotels that are worth trying? Platinum premier here, am really curious if the Royal Hawaiian really is doing the full buffet breakfast!
I have a trip planned next year as well. Curious to hear peoples thoughts on upgrades and breakfast
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:12 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Any recent stays here using Amex FHR? If so, how was your experience? Specifically, what did the upgrade consist of, and was the resort fee waived?

Last edited by patmcpsu; Dec 21, 2018 at 8:58 am
Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by patmcpsu
Any recent stays here using Amex FHR? If so, how was your experience? Specifically, what did the upgrade consist of, and was the resort fee waived?
Just stayed here last week for 5 nights. I was a fan of the hotel. I was a bit nervous with the strike but mgmt let me know a week prior that everything was fully operational and back to normal. I'm a LTPP and was given 2 buffet coupons daily; the buffet was one of the best I've ever had. We generally went around 830 am and never waited but on the last day of the trip we slept in a bit and got there at 930 am and waited 45 minutes. Seemed a lot of customers were unhappy was they had said it would be 10-15 minutes. Service was kind of slow as when we sat there was at least 10 open tables so just think they weren't turning them over fast enough.

I requested an upgrade and received a 1 BR suite in the older tower (can't recall the name). They call it an ocean view but unfortunately it was 2nd floor and the trees are so high we barely could see it. The room was very nice though.

Valet parking was solid as well. My two main gripes were slow check in service (I had to wait in line 25 minutes twice for various items) and the resort fee is a total ripoff. Also I think it stinks that the resort fee doesn't include beach chair access and I still had to pay $40 for two chairs and two towels right outside the hotel on the beach. Not sure if it's like this for all hotels since Waikiki beach if public but the $$ adds up.

Would not hesitate to stay here again but thinking next time I might try the Westin as those were the 2 Oahu hotels I debated between.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.