Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]

Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 3, 19, 6:13 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JBD
Wiki Link
Hotel email address: [email protected]

Hotel's own website: https://www.royal-hawaiian.com/
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 10, 19, 7:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 2MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
FWIW, the management at the RH is the same now as it was when it was under SPG.

But agreed its frustrating.
Old Jun 10, 19, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post
No record of my Your24 request confirmed just a few days ago. I push for a room as planned and I'm told there are no rooms in the historic wing and indeed no rooms with King Size beds. I'm now in the Tower in a room which I realise is an upgrade and the view is of the beach which is nice, but which for me is a much worse fit than what I actually booked. I wanted the historic wing, I sleep much better on King Size beds, I now have a connecting door with someone very loud next to me and I don't use lounge-type facilities which the Tower is based on. I'd have been much better to just book at the Moani Surfrider and take some of the money I save for a big dinner here.
Wow, that's some poor service all around. Hope the rest of your stay makes up for it.
Old Jun 10, 19, 10:15 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
After a nap I asked to be moved and they found me a Junior Suite in the historic wing. The overall finishing is significantly better (the wooden entry doors are stunning) and I have a slightly bizarre but quite lovely little sitting room with only partially enclosed windows.

Honolulu is a bit of a culture shock after having spent most of the last 3 months on islands with fewer people than the average Waikiki luau, but the Royal Hawaiian definitely has some charm amongst the crowds. Iím obviously not the target market for either the island or the hotel, but I can see why some people like it. What I do find interesting is that views here can command the same (frankly insane) price premiums as at the Mauna Kea - I had no idea Honolulu was such an up-market destination.
C17PSGR, margarita girl and Kacee like this.
Old Jun 11, 19, 5:58 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by cawhite View Post
It's been a year since my last visit, but it used to be a choice of breakfast, sparkling wine (bottle) or points. The same choices as the PLT Welcome Amenity, but you couldn't choose the same item twice.
Looks like this has been terminated.

Breakfast was also a bit odd for a hotel of this category where I would usually expect a generous buffet of hot and cold food. There's a choice between a very small buffet in the lounge (for those with lounge access) or a small buffet clearly only for elites in the main restaurant. I guess it's better than continental (there were eggs, bacon, etc.), but the restaurant is clearly primarily a la carte which is not offered to elites. I wouldn't choose breakfast as a benefit here again.
Old Jun 11, 19, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post
Looks like this has been terminated.

Breakfast was also a bit odd for a hotel of this category where I would usually expect a generous buffet of hot and cold food. There's a choice between a very small buffet in the lounge (for those with lounge access) or a small buffet clearly only for elites in the main restaurant. I guess it's better than continental (there were eggs, bacon, etc.), but the restaurant is clearly primarily a la carte which is not offered to elites. I wouldn't choose breakfast as a benefit here again.
I never took the PLT option breakfast there so I can’t speak to the quality of it in the past (I’ve been staying there since shortly after they renovated, usually at least a couple times/year) and tend to head out elsewhere for breakfast. But the few times I’ve had breakfast at Surf Lanai, there was a very nice buffet offering which also included the option to order an a la cartel item from the menu. The tower lounge breakfast has, since it opened, been a bit in terms of offerings IMO. Sorry to hear this.