Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Reservations email address: [email protected]

Hotel's own website: https://www.royal-hawaiian.com/
Print Wikipost

Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2011, 6:38 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, United 1K, Hertz PC
Lunch Coupons for Platinum

Originally Posted by 1K_From_SNA
... So they made it clear she can't use it, we can't both go and use the two coupons on the same day, etc. It is me on those days, and that's it.
I spent five nights at the RH in October and I also received the lunch coupons. I used three of them at one meal and the staff at Surf Lanai were more than happy to accept them. A couple of days later I used the remaining two coupons and I paid for the third lunch. In both cases there was no discussion of the restrictions that are written on the coupons.

In addition, we tried each of the offered meals (you choose from a special menu) and they were all excellent. The bread pudding (dessert is included) was among the best that I have ever had.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 2:28 am

Used 1 FRN here Thanksgiving day

Pictures here: https://picasaweb.google.com/dmkahn/RoyalHawaiian2011

Upgraded to an oceanfront King, room 2006. Used $25 cert for resort fees, given drink coupon for a non-alcoholic (!) Blue Hawaii and 1 lunch (it's only for the Diamond Platinum member), though I didn't use either of them. In the morning, they had complimentary coffee set up near the lobby. I didn't use the property that much, but I always enjoy this hotel. It's like a little quiet oasis off Waikiki and still manages to retain a lot of its original character. At checkin, the FDC seemed to go out of her way to find me an available room with an upgrade.]

The rooms are nice, fully renovated, nice rain shower, toto washlet, comfy bed, etc.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Nov 29, 2011 at 3:01 pm Reason: It's not the Royal Hyatt yet, thank you JFKSFOLAX_friend
Old Nov 29, 2011, 7:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
(it's only for the Diamond member)
Diamond?

Has the RH become a Hyatt?
Old Nov 29, 2011, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
Diamond?

Has the RH become a Hyatt?
The Royal Hyatt? (thanks for the correction.)

-David
Old Dec 1, 2011, 12:09 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
I booked a King Tower Ocean Front, and given room 6001 on check-in. Whilst the furniture in the room was new, the room felt damp, dark and empty. Worst still was the view of the air conditioning ducts on the side of the historic building. So much like one of the previous posters, I went back to the front desk and was treated so well that my poor initial impression of the hotel disappeared. I ended up with a Royal Ocean Junior Suite, which is so much nicer, far better view and the only downside is no balcony.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 7:58 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA Gold
We had three FRNs at the end of Thanksgiving week here. What a great use of free nights! Our king garden room was upgraded to a Tower ocean view. There's a curvature to the building so the views in the Tower vary; we thought the view from our room was great, with plenty of ocean, the pool and the historic building to look at from our lanai.

Azure did a Thanksgiving dinner for our family (party of 12 including two toddlers) that was outstanding. Lunch at the Surf Lanai was pricey but well-done. And even though it was Thanksgiving week the pools including the large playground pool didn't seem crowded. We liked it so much we might actually pay to come back!
Old Dec 2, 2011, 8:07 am

Extra-guest fee

Hi everyone,

I'm excited to use my FRN at this property soon. I'm curious about the extra-guest fee; I have a party of 3 and was told there will be an extra charge, I think it's something like $150 a night. I'm tempted to say there's only two and try to "sneak in" the 3rd person after check-in. We already have a double room booked so aside from towel service I really can't understand what we'd be receiving in exchange for this $150 PER NIGHT fee.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:58 pm

Planning to say at Royal Hawaiian this weekend.
Have been going to Moana Surfrider for last few years and want to try RH.

I have 1 free weekend night from the promotion, and 1 night I booked through Amex Platinum Fine Hotels and Resorts (1st time using that benefit).

I also have a Starwood Ambassador.

I'm curious as to:

1. what is the best type of room to go for (old style part of hotel vs. tower?) At MS my favorite room ever was a corner room in the Old Part that had ocean views. once got a tower suite at MS which was nice but I liked the old style corner better.

2. this stay is weird cuz one day is "free" and the other is Amex FHR and not sure what type of upgrade if any I might get.

Thanks.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GaryMF
I'm curious as to:

1. what is the best type of room to go for (old style part of hotel vs. tower?)
Have you read this thread? Isn't that already addressed/haven't the distinctions been discussed?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
Have you read this thread? Isn't that already addressed/haven't the distinctions been discussed?
Yes I did read the thread. All of the posts from 2011 are about the Plat amenity and other issues.

Plus my situation is a little different because i have one night free and one night via FHR.

Moreover, my question is pretty specific: Given my preference (i.e. the corner historic ocean view room in the MS), what's the equivalent to shoot for here.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 6:43 pm

If you have your heart set on an ocean view, you should shoot for an upgrade to the RH tower. No sense of history, however.

Our recent FRN booking for a garden view room at the RH was upgraded to the tower and we were very pleased.

The standard rooms in the historic wing are charming, but smaller. I get the sense that ocean view rooms in the historic building are harder to come by, and they have no lanais.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 9:09 pm

Stayed at the Royal Hawaiian few weekends ago. Used the FRN and upgraded to the Garden View Suite at Historical Building without pushing. The room is spacious and the bath amenities that they provided were top notch. I was surprised they do not offer turn down no more unless you call in advance to request.

The plat lunch coupon is a nice gesture to substitute for the resort charge. I wish more SPG properties do that.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 9:34 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by thebutlerdidit
If you have your heart set on an ocean view, you should shoot for an upgrade to the RH tower. No sense of history, however.
Originally Posted by anchor79
Stayed at the Royal Hawaiian few weekends ago. Used the FRN and upgraded to the Garden View Suite at Historical Building without pushing. The room is spacious and the bath amenities that they provided were top notch. I was surprised they do not offer turn down no more unless you call in advance to request.
Having stayed in both of those rooms (garden view junior suite and oceanfront tower room) these comments are spot on.

Just a small note, the bathrooms in the tower rooms felt much bigger than those in the junior suite for some reason.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by alanslegal
Having stayed in both of those rooms (garden view junior suite and oceanfront tower room) these comments are spot on.

Just a small note, the bathrooms in the tower rooms felt much bigger than those in the junior suite for some reason.
Don't get me wrong -- I thought the tower oceanfront room at RH was great, and since it was a plat upgrade from a standard garden room booked on FRN certificates, I was more than happy with it! It was our first stay at RH and think it's a great hotel. I still want to try staying in the historic building sometime.

However.. we had stayed the previous five nights at Moana Surfrider, and had been upgraded there to a tower oceanview suite. I think my wife would've been disappointed in the Royal Hawaiian if we'd been stuck in a non-oceanview room, immediately after spending five nights in an oceanfront suite at the Moana.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by thebutlerdidit
However.. we had stayed the previous five nights at Moana Surfrider, and had been upgraded there to a tower oceanview suite. I think my wife would've been disappointed in the Royal Hawaiian if we'd been stuck in a non-oceanview room, immediately after spending five nights in an oceanfront suite at the Moana.
I have stayed at Moana several times. Both paid and award, I never get to upgrade to a suite over there. This time they even assigned me to an ocean front handicap room on the 3rd floor. I had to ask them to move me to the double bedded room on the 18th floor facing Outrigger..What can I say :P I have no luck with them :P

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.