Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Newport, R.I. Marriott [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2009, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Plat,SW, Hertz #1 Gold, Amtrak SP, jetBlue, et al

Has anyone been to the Newport Rhode Island Marriott lately??

May take a run up this weekend...they have a decent MEB rate...and generally I think this place is WAAYYYYY too expensive...sure it's the middle of winter, but who cares..I haven't been here before......

TIA for any replys
Old Feb 25, 2009, 6:02 pm

Programs: DL Silver, (used to be somebody here) Marriott Lifetime Titanium
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ort-video.html
Old Feb 25, 2009, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Plat,SW, Hertz #1 Gold, Amtrak SP, jetBlue, et al
thanks!
Old Feb 25, 2009, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL Silver, (used to be somebody here) Marriott Lifetime Titanium
it is not bad this time of year

black pearl for drinks
everyday gourmet for lunch (on thames)
zelda's for dinner

are my faves
Old Mar 1, 2009, 10:00 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold
If you do head up to Newport, make sure you check out the Mansions -- The Breakers should be open on the weekend.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Two years later - anything new

Anyone been recently?
Old Jun 7, 2011, 9:59 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriot Rewards PP
I was there about a month ago. booked 2 rooms using points and brought some friends from NY. Facility is very nice and in good repair, had great views from the rooms overlooking the harbor. Lounge has an outdoor deck which was a nice touch.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 5:51 pm

Programs: US CP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Avis First
Late last year

I stayed there in the fall of 2010 on points. I called the Plat line and they requested an upgrade for me. Stayed in (what I consider) a really large suite on the top floor, overlooking the harbor. I would definelty consider staying there again.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 8:57 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Make sure you get to the White Horse Tavern for dinner, one of the oldest (1673, though not in continuous use as a tavern or restaurant), and one of the best, restaurants in the USA. I have eaten there several times, and the meal, and service, are always superlative! Not cheap, but a singular experience to be sure!
Old Jun 28, 2012, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Just got back from a 4-day trip to the NWC Newport and stayed here again. As stated above the CL on floor 7 has a great view of the harbor, facing south. The property is a little older but it's been updated to typical Marriott standards. Even the non-concierge rooms will have the flat screens, good linens, and a mini-fridge. A lot of families mixed in with a few biz travelers and some older vacationers.

The key here is the location. Outstanding, and only a few minutes from the bridge. You can walk to everything. Self-park is $15/day for elites, another $5 for valet. The CL is not as sophisticated as other properties, but it was never crowded. You'll get one hot dish at night like southwest eggrolls or chicken wraps and the cheese & crackers & crudites. Nice staff too. And the opportunity for great pics of the harbor.

Perhaps the best attraction is the Newport Gulls - a summer collegiate league team in Cardines Field, a vintage ballpark seating 3k right across the street from the Marriott!

http://www.newportgulls.com/

http://www.projectballpark.org/other/cardines.html

I took in a game as I usually do when there in the summer and loved it. Again, easy and nice for kids.

In addition to the White Horse, there are a lot great spots on Thames St, and I like the Black Pearl on Bannister Wharf for the chowder.

http://www.blackpearlnewport.com/

Last edited by AATrout; Jun 28, 2012 at 7:49 pm
Old Jun 29, 2012, 9:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Realize you were there during the week, but do you happen to know if the exec lounge is open on the weekend? If not, do they provide brekkie coupons? If not, is it key accessible for soft drinks? Is there an i-net terminal?

I haven't stayed at this property in years, but it is one of my favorites because of its location/liking Newport. And I like the Black Pearl as well.

Cheers.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Realize you were there during the week, but do you happen to know if the exec lounge is open on the weekend? If not, do they provide brekkie coupons? If not, is it key accessible for soft drinks? Is there an i-net terminal?

I haven't stayed at this property in years, but it is one of my favorites because of its location/liking Newport. And I like the Black Pearl as well.

Cheers.
This was a review fail on my part because I did not verify the weekend policy and I tossed the card that listed the hours! But I asked and was told you can access the lounge on the weekend for the usual lineup of soft drinks and bottled water. Not clear if it included brekkie, booze & snacks in the PM. The 7-day access makes sense however because of the deck & harbor view.

Breakfast was lean but good. 4 juices. Scrambled eggs and oatmeal were the hot dishes + a euro-style setup of cold cuts (canadian bacon, ham) and cheese, pineapple, melon slices. No berries. Toaster and bagels, croissants and a muffin like thing you could stuff with eggs, ham, cheese for a breakfast sandwich.

There is a single standup desktop in the lounge with internet access. No printer, making it useless for checking in and printing a boarding pass. Did not check if there was a biz center with that setup.

Overall a nice midweek biz stay - especially taking in a ball game at Cardines Field across the street!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 3:56 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
I stayed at the Newport Marriott for one night last week. January is obviously not when many people go there, but I was in Rhode Island for the first time, and thought I might as well check out Newport.
The Marriott is a lovely and large hotel, with prime location overlooking the harbor - I had a beautiful view of the snow. As a Platinum member, I was upgraded to a concierge-level room overlooking the harbor. Not sure how likely that is to happen in summer, but it was still nice.
The gym is great, with some locals even paying for a membership. My one disappoint,met was that the concierge lounge was closed for the winter! It doesn't reopen until April. They gave me a breakfast voucher, but I didn't use it as I just wanted to grab coffee and fruit or a granola bar.
Would definitely enjoy returning in summer.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 7:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by spainlover
My one disappoint,met was that the concierge lounge was closed for the winter! It doesn't reopen until April. They gave me a breakfast voucher
Thanks for letting us know. I'll update the exec lounge sticky. Do you know if the voucher is for M-F only or does it include the weekends as well?

Cheers.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
Not sure about weekends - sorry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.