Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points Midtown, New York [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Points Midtown, New York [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:08 pm
Formerly ItalyBAGold

Internet Connection

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me whether the internet connection at this property is wi-fi or wired please, like at the 4P Chelsea? I do have a MacBook Air, but it doesn't have a USB port..

Many thanks!

IBAG

PS: Incidentally, I'm trying to decide whether to stay here or at the Element for my next week stay. Rates were the same when I booked, $200(ish), so it's just an issue of choosing the better property.. Thanks!
Old Nov 15, 2011, 4:21 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ItalyBAGold
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me whether the internet connection at this property is wi-fi or wired please, like at the 4P Chelsea? I do have a MacBook Air, but it doesn't have a USB port..

Many thanks!

IBAG

PS: Incidentally, I'm trying to decide whether to stay here or at the Element for my next week stay. Rates were the same when I booked, $200(ish), so it's just an issue of choosing the better property.. Thanks!
I just checked out of the Four Points Midtown - Times Square on Sunday and the property offers both wired and wireless connections. However, the connection is slower than 93% of the US and rates an F on speedtest.net. Here are the results from my last stay:

Fine for email and web surfing but forget about streaming video!
Old Nov 15, 2011, 5:06 am
Formerly ItalyBAGold

Originally Posted by DCBob
I just checked out of the Four Points Midtown - Times Square on Sunday and the property offers both wired and wireless connections. However, the connection is slower than 93% of the US and rates an F on speedtest.net. Here are the results from my last stay:

Fine for email and web surfing but forget about streaming video!

Thanks for this! It is a seriously slow connection...
Old Nov 15, 2011, 6:13 pm

Programs: AC, AA, SPG
Just a word of caution. I was at the Element a few weeks ago and although the internet was wireless and fairly fast it also went down for 8 hours on one of the days I stayed. That coupled with the fact that one elevator was also down the entire stay and waits could easily be 15 minutes mean I won't go back.

I have been to the 4 Points a street over and would take that over the Element any day.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i'm getting a pre-paid rate here for $212 a night in may....having never stayed here before, i'm not sure if i should wait to see if rates come down closer to may or if i should go ahead & book this rate....my dates in ny are fixed in may so there will be no change....but since this is a personal trip & i will be paying for 5 rooms myself, i would like to get the best rate possible....any suggestions would be helpful....
Old Jan 6, 2012, 8:37 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by Keyser
i'm getting a pre-paid rate here for $212 a night in may....having never stayed here before, i'm not sure if i should wait to see if rates come down closer to may or if i should go ahead & book this rate....my dates in ny are fixed in may so there will be no change....but since this is a personal trip & i will be paying for 5 rooms myself, i would like to get the best rate possible....any suggestions would be helpful....

IMHO it is not going to get much cheaper than $212 for Nyc. As for the kitchenette in the element, those rooms are so small don't think your going to be in a nice studio suite.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by abk
IMHO it is not going to get much cheaper than $212 for Nyc. As for the kitchenette in the element, those rooms are so small don't think your going to be in a nice studio suite.
there are certain dates now & up till march where the rates are cheaper than $212....i know the rooms are not going to be big at the element but having a fridge & kitchenette will be an advantage, specially with little kids in the travel party....
Old Jan 6, 2012, 9:09 am

Programs: A few
there are certain dates now & up till march where the rates are cheaper than $212....i know the rooms are not going to be big at the element but having a fridge & kitchenette will be an advantage, specially with little kids in the travel party....
if price is a big driver you should look at the four points long island city. you are literally a couple of subway stops east. could save quite a lot over five rooms
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
if price is a big driver you should look at the four points long island city. you are literally a couple of subway stops east. could save quite a lot over five rooms
i did consider that but a bunch of people traveling with me are going to ny for the first time so they want to be as close to times square as possible....
Old Jan 6, 2012, 11:50 am

Programs: A few
i did consider that but a bunch of people traveling with me are going to ny for the first time so they want to be as close to times square as possible....
That is fair enough. The two properties you are looking at are very close to each other so no real difference there. I would go with the cheaper room, and I prefer the Four Points myself anyway. It is one block in the "right" direction (i.e. closer to Times Square) and I find the rooms very functional. Given the $ you save per room you could use those $ to fund some dining out rather than using the kitchenette you get at the Element.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
That is fair enough. The two properties you are looking at are very close to each other so no real difference there. I would go with the cheaper room, and I prefer the Four Points myself anyway. It is one block in the "right" direction (i.e. closer to Times Square) and I find the rooms very functional. Given the $ you save per room you could use those $ to fund some dining out rather than using the kitchenette you get at the Element.
fair enough....while i have not stayed at either the four points or the element, last year i did stay at the candlewood suites in the same area & for the family members traveling with me this is a great location....
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:29 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Wonder why there are so many more reviews of the nearby Element than this hotel? Maybe more complaints?
Old Mar 17, 2012, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

does anyone know how this property is handling the free breakfast issue for plats????is it going to be a choice between the 250 points & breakfast or do plats get free breakfast here in any case????
Old Mar 17, 2012, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AC, VIPorter, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond
does anyone know how this property is handling the free breakfast issue for plats????is it going to be a choice between the 250 points & breakfast or do plats get free breakfast here in any case????
My last stay was in January, before the change in benefits. At that time, they gave plats a % off restaurant purchases (maybe 20% - I can't remember). Breakfast was fairly reasonably priced even before the discount.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 9:01 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
I'm at the property now and Breakfast is 2 slices of bread, bowl of fruit and juice or coffee.

It is 250 or breakfast.

I will post a full review but this is to date my worst spg hotel stay in years. Stay well clear of this place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.