Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Which Starwood hotel in New York City NYC ? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Starwood hotel in New York City NYC ? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2017, 12:06 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott - Platinum/LTG | KF *G QPPS (working on TPPS) | OZ - Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by canadiantransplant
I've completed a couple of Mattress Runs here recently as the prices are usually good and it's near my office. As a plat, I've found the room you get really depends on the Front Desk Person. The first night I had a huge room but a really cramped bathroom (with a tub). The second time I had a cramped room with a large bathroom (go figure). The second night was a Saturday and, while there were tons of rooms/suites available online, the front desk person was really frazzled so had them release a room for me since the one previously allocated wasn't ready yet at check in. Since I had an appointment at Bliss, and didn't really care what room I had, I didn't bother to ask what the locked room was.

Overall, a decent hotel.
Thanks RafKa, canadiantransplant! Sounds like the W might work for me after all. Might as well make use of my plat status before... well who knows what's going to happen next year!
Old Feb 26, 2017, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by jaejaez
I actually went ahead and asked the ambassador to investigate/confirm this. Will come back and update.

So as promised, here is an update - hope this help anybody who also finds bathtubs an important part of their choice of hotel rooms in NYC.

The question was: Which of the full service hotels (not lux hotels) in NYC have bathtubs in their standard rooms?

WESTIN GRAND CENTRAL = YES (ALL STANDARD ROOMS)
W UNION SQUARE = YES (WONDERFUL ROOMS ONLY)
LE PARKER MERIDIEN = YES (ALL STANDARD ROOMS)
W TIMES SQUARE = YES (DOUBLE ROOMS ONLY. KING BED ROOMS DON'T HAVE TUBS)
SHERATON TIMES SQUARE = N/A (NO RESPONSE )
WESTIN TIMES SQUARE = YES (ALL STANDARD ROOMS)
W NEW YORK = NO
W DOWNTOWN = NO (NOT EVEN IN THEIR E WOW SUITE)
SHERATON TRIBECA = YES (SOME STANDARD ROOMS ONLY)
Old Feb 28, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
So as promised, here is an update - hope this help anybody who also finds bathtubs an important part of their choice of hotel rooms in NYC.

The question was: Which of the full service hotels (not lux hotels) in NYC have bathtubs in their standard rooms?

W NEW YORK = NO
Thanks for the update. Very useful info.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:41 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Any comparisons including the newly integrated Design Hotels?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
I've got several nights coming up. I like to stay at the W Union Square for subway and walkability to most places I need to go for work but I've also done the 4P Chelsea a fair amount.

But thinking of splitting the stay in 2 or 3 to get an extra stay or two. Three questions...
1. Any comments about the Brooklyn Sheraton or Aloft? I'd like to spend first night there for ease of getting home after a night out in Brooklyn.
2. Your top pick for recently renovated & quiet rooms? I don't mind small but I do mind rundown and noise - I've had hit or miss stays at 4P Chelsea on this front.
3. Will I get multiple stay credits for consecutive nights in the same city? I've read conflicting info online. If not I might as well just pick one and stick with it.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 3:51 pm

W NEW YORK = NO
I just stayed at the Sheraton Times Square, and there was a bathtub in my standard room.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:24 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott, Kimpton
Originally Posted by leland
I've got several nights coming up. I like to stay at the W Union Square for subway and walkability to most places I need to go for work but I've also done the 4P Chelsea a fair amount.

But thinking of splitting the stay in 2 or 3 to get an extra stay or two. Three questions...
1. Any comments about the Brooklyn Sheraton or Aloft? I'd like to spend first night there for ease of getting home after a night out in Brooklyn.
2. Your top pick for recently renovated & quiet rooms? I don't mind small but I do mind rundown and noise - I've had hit or miss stays at 4P Chelsea on this front.
3. Will I get multiple stay credits for consecutive nights in the same city? I've read conflicting info online. If not I might as well just pick one and stick with it.
I've done mattress runs on consecutive days in NYC and haven't had any issues with the stay credits since it's at different properties. Hope this helps.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:49 pm

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
Thanks @canadiantransplant. Might go check out one of the Brooklyn hotels for a night.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by leland
Thanks @canadiantransplant. Might go check out one of the Brooklyn hotels for a night.
No worries - there are two in LIC (a new Aloft and the Four Points) that are both reasonably priced on most dates and close to transportation.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by canadiantransplant
No worries - there are two in LIC (a new Aloft and the Four Points) that are both reasonably priced on most dates and close to transportation.
Technically they're in Queens, though. Not Brooklyn.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Looking for advice for the hotel where we have our best chance at scoring a suite, ideally a 1-bedroom suite (with a door separating the bedroom from the living room).

My wife and I will be in NYC for 3 weekend nights (Fri/Sat/Sun) in late June with our 1.5yo toddler, who goes to bed several hours before we do (logically).
A suite is therefore super helpful, so that we're not all just hanging out in the dark...

My choices are either SPG (using SNAs - which are a hit or miss in NYC, I know), or Hyatt Diamond DSU (most of those upgrade to a Jr. Suite, which has no separation between bedroom/living room).

Which hotel would you target for the best chance at a suite upgrade?

PS - would like to stay in Manhattan if at all possible. Also, we used to live in the area (Hoboken), so we don't necessarily need to be close to touristy spots. Anywhere near a subway stop should be fine.

Thanks,
Bostonbali
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by bostonbali
Looking for advice for the hotel where we have our best chance at scoring a suite, ideally a 1-bedroom suite (with a door separating the bedroom from the living room).

My wife and I will be in NYC for 3 weekend nights (Fri/Sat/Sun) in late June with our 1.5yo toddler, who goes to bed several hours before we do (logically).
A suite is therefore super helpful, so that we're not all just hanging out in the dark...

My choices are either SPG (using SNAs - which are a hit or miss in NYC, I know), or Hyatt Diamond DSU (most of those upgrade to a Jr. Suite, which has no separation between bedroom/living room).

PS - would like to stay in Manhattan if at all possible. Also, we used to live in the area (Hoboken), so we don't necessarily need to be close to touristy spots. Anywhere near a subway stop should be fine.

Thanks,
Bostonbali
I'm sure it's not what you want to hear but NYC is a difficult city to score a suite upgrade, IMO. If the suite is a must then you need to reserve it, either with cash or double points (SPG).
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by bostonbali

Thanks,
Bostonbali
the only nyc property where i have 100% success rate using snas is at the element times square....they always have suites available, the subway is right around the corner & each room comes with a kitchen which i find very convenient when traveling with my 2 toddlers....
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:47 pm

Programs: SPG
Could use some advice here. My husband and I are going to NYC end-May for an event and I can't make up my mind re: a hotel to stay. It's going to be 2 nights (Fri, Sat). We are both SPG platinum and have plenty of points to burn. We can stay at a Hyatt property as well since we have status there, but let's keep this to SPG.

We lived in Manhattan for years before moving away temporarily, and still come to NYC very often, so we are not after tourist experiences (plus we are moving back soon enough).

I have tried all 4 of the W hotels in Manhattan, and I am looking to try something else. I have Le Parker Meridien booked at 20k points / night (Superior room) -- does it offer a good platinum experience? I had never been there; I know there is a thread dedicated to it, but I am interested in a more holistic view.

I am mostly interested in getting upgraded to a room with a good view. I don't care if it's a suite; but I have been enjoying staying in NYC hotels with good views that I would not often get when I lived there (e.g., that of the Broadway from W Times Square, the Freedom Tower from the W Downtown or the Central Park from Essex House).

Other than Le Parker Meridien, are there other good hotels to consider?

Thanks!

Last edited by Eupatoria; Apr 23, 2017 at 10:53 pm
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Eupatoria
Could use some advice here. My husband and I are going to NYC end-May for an event and I can't make up my mind re: a hotel to stay. It's going to be 2 nights (Fri, Sat). We are both SPG platinum and have plenty of points to burn. We can stay at a Hyatt property as well since we have status there, but let's keep this to SPG.

We lived in Manhattan for years before moving away temporarily, and still come to NYC very often, so we are not after tourist experiences (plus we are moving back soon enough).

I have tried all 4 of the W hotels in Manhattan, and I am looking to try something else. I have Le Parker Meridien booked at 20k points / night (Superior room) -- does it offer a good platinum experience? I had never been there; I know there is a thread dedicated to it, but I am interested in a more holistic view.

I am mostly interested in getting upgraded to a room with a good view. I don't care if it's a suite; but I have been enjoying staying in NYC hotels with good views that I would not often get when I lived there (e.g., that of the Broadway from W Times Square, the Freedom Tower from the W Downtown or the Central Park from Essex House).

Other than Le Parker Meridien, are there other good hotels to consider?

Thanks!
If you have a ton of points to burn I would check out the St. Regis. We stayed there on points for NYE (booked a standard room) and they upgraded us to an Astor Suite as plat.

I think your other options would be either the W Union Square or the W Times Square as I've had good upgrade experiences with both (but not to suites).

Hope this helps!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.