FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka Resort & Spa - Canada [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/910579-jw-marriott-rosseau-muskoka-resort-spa-canada-master-thread.html)

yyz-kin Jan 15, 2009 9:51 am

JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka Resort & Spa - Canada [Master Thread]

Hello All - just wondering if anyone has stayed at this propery yet? Couldn't see much from the website but there doesn't look to be a lounge.....any idea of the offerings instead?

pwrshift Jan 15, 2009 7:25 pm

This site may give you some more info. It`s a condo hotel, about 2 hours north of Toronto. Can`t imagine it appealing to people in winter unless you like cross-country skiing, or the April-June period for black flies. Summer will be A1 time for sure ... average cottage prices on Lake Rosseau would be $1 million + (a guess). I booked 3 holidays on points for this period of time before the MR changes.

www.redleavesmuskoka.com

Robbo1 Jul 13, 2009 6:39 am

Bumping this thread to see if anyone has stayed here yet and can post their experience

pwrshift Jul 14, 2009 7:46 am

Looks like the developer is in big financial trouble ... which, I assume, is fightening for the various 'owners' of the condo-hotel. Marriott will stay on to manage the place.

http://www.bracebridgeexaminer.com/article/136848

I'll be there for a few days at the end of this month and will report back. Any reviews I've seen are pretty positive. ie. Tripadvisor

FlyerJ Aug 19, 2009 3:57 pm

It's in bankruptcy -- with many of the hotel units remaining unsold. (This was a condo-style hotel development.)

The receiver is now 'liquidating' all of the hotel rooms that remain available for sale.

Details at: www.redleavessale.com

Interesting that the seller (and this web-site) makes very little mention to Marriott or to the JW brand. Like many properties, Marriott doesn't own it nor were they involved in the initial financing or development. They only run the place, and no doubt want to distance themselves from all of the financial problems.

stinger Aug 20, 2009 5:55 am

Almost daily advertisements in the Globe and Mail in Toronto about the liquidation sale. I had received some info about this property back a year or two ago and the cheapest studio units were selling for $350,000+ CAD. According to the ad's in the papers, the units are starting at $168,000. :eek:

A bit of a decline, if I had purchased previously, I might be a little pissed!

pwrshift Aug 21, 2009 7:54 pm

I stayed in a 1 bdrm suite for several days early August and enjoyed the hotel. Teca resturant was very good (italian -- steak was great)...Cottages restaurant a little more 'average' but great hamburgers. The construction around the hotel seems to be finished now as they opened the beach while I was there as well as another building. Be prepared for a lot of stairs outside down to the beach which is quite a ways down from the main hotel.

We had dinner away from the hotel one night - at Water's Edge - about 15 min drive. People were arriving by seaplane, helicopter, and boats -- great atmosphere but food not great. These places all seem to be run by students in summer.

Our 1 bdrm was very nice but not a water view - just bushes - from the balcony. Flat screen TV's in living room and bedroom. Setup similar to a timeshare -- even with studios next door with walk through doors. Checked out some studios as well, and they were nicely done and equipped with a kitchenette rather than kitchen, but quite functional -- seems like the studio with 2 beds is larger than the studios with king beds -- only a few have balconies. Very nice bathrooms - separate shower. All rooms have fireplaces which would be nice in winter. Dishes, large under counter fridge, 2 burner hot plate, dishwasher, etc. Nice quality furnishings. 4 pools including the spa - $125 for a facial. Drive up from Toronto was to take less than 3 hours but took us almost 5 hours -- the highway 400 was plugged almost all the way, mostly due to construction. Took 169 and 12 to go back to Toronto - much faster.

Everyone seems anxious to please except for the front desk people who were not properly trained...told me they were full with 3 weddings and couldn't find my reservation even though I gave her a copy of the email sheet. A supervisor came to the rescue, but very abrupt with me as if it was my fault. I was also told that they do not recognize platinum elites when they are full and don't give any 'treats', as the gal called them, because they are a 'resort'. No concierge room. Valet parking is outragious at $25 a night ... but the walk from the free parking lot is uphill about 600 yards. Internet in the room is $17 a night but free in the lobby. Resort fee $9 a night. Bike rentals ($75 an hour), boats, very expensive.

The receiver is trying to sell the remaining 84 units and it seems like a timeshare hustle. I was told by the receiver rep that Marriott has a 25 year contract to manage the place and cannot pull out. The place was very busy -- as you might expect in summer -- but I'll bet it's dead in winter. Wouldn't surprise me to see Marriott close it down in winter ... they've already stated that the new Paignton House building (detached) won't be open in winter.

They are not a 'pet friendly' resort but I saw one person with two standard poodles, another with a golden lab pup, another with a miniature poodle, and one person with a service dog. All of them were at the main pool and the balconies where people were eating. I had left my dog at home and called the front desk to ask if I could have brought her, but was told there weren't any dogs in the hotel, period. Guess I was dreaming.

Flews Aug 23, 2009 1:50 pm

Starwood guy here, staying at this property next week for the first time, and first Marriott in more than a decade. Not too impressed with what I'm reading in this forum so far, to say the least.

For one thing, our twin 16-month-old-toddlers - little Flewser & Flewsette - are not impressed with the 600 yard walk from the parking lot, or all the stairs up and down to go to the beach!

Anybody else have any other experiences?

We're happy to leave our 225 pound dog at home...

Cheers,

Flews Aug 29, 2009 5:24 pm

Well we just got back today. We had a wonderful stay and thought it was a terrific resort.

Facilities were terrific, especially the pool areas.

Staff were outstanding, from front desk to housekeeping to restaurants.

We had a very large, corner suite, with spacious balcony, kitchen (Miele appliances!) and gas fireplace.

All in all, we can't wait to go back!

Our only "negative" was The Rock - which is their golf course - it has to be one of the most brutal tracks I've ever played. In fact, they actually had to close it at one point to redo six or seven hours, because even scratch golfers were complaining!

Again, the staff at the golf course were just terrific.

A couple observations though:

Although I used valet parking because of all our children's "stuff", I'd estimate the walk from the parking lot is more like 100 yards, not six hundred. And staff are happy to shuttle you back and forth.

There is also a ramp all the way down to the beach, so stairs aren't an issue. We took our (double) stroller up and down several times.

Finally, we asked about the new Paignton House building. We were told it's not closed in the winter at all - it's the outdoor pool, hotub and poolside grill that's seasonal.

Notwithstanding the developers financial problems, the resort itself was quite busy when we were there and seems to be a roaring success.

Cheers,

Muerz Dec 3, 2012 10:09 am

Any recent stays at this property? Looking to maybe stay there a few nights around NYE. Looking at their website, there seem to be quite a few activities in winter. Any opinions?

Flews Dec 5, 2012 7:02 am

Go for it. Lots to see and do in the area. Especially if you enjoy winter activites.

Cheers,

SkiAdcock Dec 5, 2012 1:18 pm

Muerz, if you do go it would be appreciated if you'd do a 'trip report' afterwards as last reports are 3 years old.

Cheers.

Muerz Feb 7, 2017 8:58 am

Four years and two months later than planned but it looks like I will stay there in a few weeks. Any recent experiences at the hotel?

SkiAdcock Feb 7, 2017 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Muerz (Post 27876876)
Four years and two months later than planned but it looks like I will stay there in a few weeks. Any recent experiences at the hotel?

If no one posts (or even if they do), would appreciate a trip report after your stay. Thanks!

Cheers.

Muerz Feb 27, 2017 11:13 am

I finally got around to staying here on a trip across the greater Toronto area. I found the resort to be impressive, even in the snow. It's off-season now and the resort was still well staffed, always at least two people working the front desk (even at 6am in the morning), two guys opening and servicing the pool area at 6am, 4 servers at the breakfast buffet...

The room was nice, good quality materials and appliances, well cleaned. Unfortunately they close down the doors to the balconies during the winter season which I hated!
I loved the fact that their swimming pool is heated and open in the winter which allowed me to enter the pool inside and swim outside for a spectacular sunrise over the lake. It is also open very late until 11pm. Great option!
I had food in the evening (very good Steak Tartare!) and I liked the fact that you can order food from their steak house at the less formal lobby bar. Way to go! I also had their breakfast buffet and it was a very nice spread. The server was among the friendliest I had in a long time:

Should there be anything missing on the buffet, just tell me and I make sure the kitchen will get it for you!
The service unfortunately varied from outstanding (see above) to trainee (check in was in training, did not see that I booked a package that included food vouchers and other amenities which needed coupons from their part so a manager had to come and help him...) to indifferent (valet/bell staff).

Now the bad part: Elite recognition isn't their strongest part. Yes, my room was upgraded from Studio no view to a Studio with view room and balcony (which was closed) but this was far from being the best available room and it wan't that busy during my stay (I checked but dis not press the issue). Their is not a single benefit to staying here as an Elite since the Internet access is also included in the obligatory resort fee and this stupid fee isn't discounted for Elites. So, two thumbs down on treatment of Platinum Premiers!

As a conclusion, I'd say that I will certainly return here one day but they have to step up their game for elites and stop hiding behind the Marriott Rewards resort exemptions!

SkiAdcock Feb 27, 2017 11:58 am

Thanks for the trip report. Much appreciated.

Cheers.

tfong007 May 8, 2017 6:38 am

Any recent stays? Can anyone tell me how they are with Platinum upgrades?

Thanks a bunch.

SkiAdcock May 8, 2017 7:43 am

Originally Posted by tfong007 (Post 28282869)
Any recent stays? Can anyone tell me how they are with Platinum upgrades?

Thanks a bunch.

Read 2 posts above yours.

Cheers.

HomerJ May 8, 2017 8:55 am

My nephew is the sports coordinator...

...at this property as his summer job.
So if visiting tell him Homer says hello.

pwrshift May 9, 2017 3:51 pm

My experience almost exactly and I rented a 1 bdrm but no upgrade (it was summer) and really dislike their resort fee ... which in Winter must be a total waste of money.

Originally Posted by Muerz (Post 27965467)

Now the bad part: Elite recognition isn't their strongest part. Yes, my room was upgraded from Studio no view to a Studio with view room and balcony (which was closed) but this was far from being the best available room and it wan't that busy during my stay (I checked but dis not press the issue). Their is not a single benefit to staying here as an Elite since the Internet access is also included in the obligatory resort fee and this stupid fee isn't discounted for Elites. So, two thumbs down on treatment of Platinum Premiers!

!

Flews Feb 4, 2019 12:35 pm

Any recent stays or updates? I am seeing negativity about the food in other forums. Haven't been in several years, planning a family visit in a couple weeks.

Cheers,

flyer05 Mar 2, 2019 9:03 pm

Anyone stay here recently? Would love to hear about Platinum/Titanium treatment and experiences.

Muerz Mar 3, 2019 6:10 am

I actually stayed here for a night last week and loved it. It‘s one of my favorite properties in Canada. I was upgraded from a simple studio room to a beautiful one bedroom suite, just like last year. As a Platinum arrival gift, I chose the breakfast benefit and I was given the full breakfast buffet inclusive of gratuity. They also discounted the resort fee by 10 CAD for this Titanium member.

The property is often getting much heat about being elite unfriendly and I guess that could be the case in summer when they can ask whatever rate they want and still be sold out most of the time. Most people don‘t know that the area is sort of a celebrity/rich people hangout in Canada. I always go in winter and it‘s absolutely marvelous then.

If you go midweek in winter, be prepared for limited services/opening hours of restaurants spas and limited staffing. I talked to someone at breakfast and was told that they only opend the buffet if they have at least 15 rooms occupied. I was also told that sometimes they have as few as 2-3 rooms occupied on midweek nights.

But in short, it‘s a gorgeous property and I absolutely love it. The location is so beautiful and peaceful in winter. Being able to swim outside and watch the sunrise over the frozen lakes while having negative temperatures is one of the most relaxing experiences I ever had.

dgparent Mar 3, 2019 7:35 am

Originally Posted by Muerz (Post 30841837)
I actually stayed here for a night last week and loved it. It‘s one of my favorite properties in Canada. I was upgraded from a simple studio room to a beautiful one bedroom suite, just like last year. As a Platinum arrival gift, I chose the breakfast benefit and I was given the full breakfast buffet inclusive of gratuity. They also discounted the resort fee by 10 CAD for this Titanium member.

The property is often getting much heat about being elite unfriendly and I guess that could be the case in summer when they can ask whatever rate they want and still be sold out most of the time. Most people don‘t know that the area is sort of a celebrity/rich people hangout in Canada. I always go in winter and it‘s absolutely marvelous then.

If you go midweek in winter, be prepared for limited services/opening hours of restaurants spas and limited staffing. I talked to someone at breakfast and was told that they only opend the buffet if they have at least 15 rooms occupied. I was also told that sometimes they have as few as 2-3 rooms occupied on midweek nights.

But in short, it‘s a gorgeous property and I absolutely love it. The location is so beautiful and peaceful in winter. Being able to swim outside and watch the sunrise over the frozen lakes while having negative temperatures is one of the most relaxing experiences I ever had.

I grew up in Bracebridge, met a lot of hockey players and cast from SCTV etc. It is a beautiful area all year round, but like others have noted the summer is crazy and expensive.

From a NYT article:

Never heard of Muskoka? You're not the only one. Scott Wittman, the lyricist for the Broadway musical "Hairspray," hadn't either, until the comedian Martin Short invited him up this summer. "It's a little bit of Hollywood up here," said Mr. Wittman, a Manhattan resident, who spent a month writing and swimming at Mr. Short's cottage on Lake Rosseau. "It's like Golden Pond. You almost expect Katharine Hepburn to come around the corner at any moment."

Or at least Goldie Hawn, Kurt Russell, Tom Hanks or Steven Spielberg -- all either own cottages in Muskoka or visit often.

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/16/r...the-north.html

cfabar1 Mar 3, 2019 4:32 pm

Has anyone stayed here recently? Would i like this property? Pictures make it look a bit worn and past its prime....

Muerz Mar 4, 2019 12:36 am

Originally Posted by cfabar1 (Post 30843780)
Has anyone stayed here recently? Would i like this property? Pictures make it look a bit worn and past its prime....

Just look up two responses and you‘ll find my thoughts on a stay last week.

Flews Mar 4, 2019 8:12 am

Originally Posted by cfabar1 (Post 30843780)

Just finished a 3 night stay. It's a nice property, but it really doesn't live up to its promise, especially the restaurants. The food is not bad, just over priced and service is sketchy. Check your restaurant bills closely, as we found little errors on ours pretty well every day.

The pools are nice, as is the setting. The rooms themselves are pretty well are suites, with kitchens. A bit dated but well appointed.

As for elite recognition, there was some mention of upgrading me to a room with a balcony, and daily breakfast for two in lieu of points. Except all the balconies at this property are sealed shut in the winter.

All in all we we enjoyed our stay but felt it really doesn't live up to its promise. I don't mind paying top dollar for a top product, but this one falls short imo. This was my fourth visit, and I am not sure I would return.

Cheers,

Matt93 Jun 24, 2019 10:03 am

I stayed here for 1 night last July on points and we had a great time. It was the first week of July when it is usually high season (weather was fabulous) but I was still upgraded to a 1-bedroom suite overlooking the lake. We didn't eat at the property so cannot comment. The place didn't seem too busy and the beach was awesome. We also rented jet skis both days and toured around the lake. I would highly recommend to anyone looking to stay here.

musicscrip Jul 19, 2020 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Matt93 (Post 31234360)
I stayed here for 1 night last July on points and we had a great time. It was the first week of July when it is usually high season (weather was fabulous) but I was still upgraded to a 1-bedroom suite overlooking the lake. We didn't eat at the property so cannot comment. The place didn't seem too busy and the beach was awesome. We also rented jet skis both days and toured around the lake. I would highly recommend to anyone looking to stay here.

Nice! We are plat and hoping we will get an upgrade when we go first week of Sept. Did anyone stay here this summer and have any reviews of how everything is like during Covit?

musicscrip Sep 3, 2020 1:44 pm

Just checked in this afternoon and plenty suites available for $100 on top of the 50000 marriott pt/night yet they would only offer a room with balcony as upgrade for plat elite (not even a room with a view). I didn’t ask again but it was pretty disappointing when the hotel isn’t even sold out!!! I chose breakfast $75 credit for the elite welcome gift.

There was a wet spot on the chair cushion indoor and that took 30min to get exchanged. No tea bags (just 4 bags of coffee) in the room so had to call for that too.

We recently stayed at Westin Blue Mountain and it’s so much better at following all Covit protocols especially at the pool. We are too scared to use the canoe as we don’t see them sanitizing them after each use before assigning to the next customer so the $50 resort fee is pretty useless.

pwrshift Sep 4, 2020 4:01 pm

I almost bought a unit here when it started out as RED LEAVES but sure glad I didn't. It is a beautiful place but the staff is really really below Marriott standards in my opinion. Most of them are students off from school in the summer. Last time were were there was summer 2019 and the place had changed a lot. In the past the bar on the first floor was always fun and they had live entertainment at night...no more the week we were there. Food in their Italian place was really bad ... they brought me the wrong dinner...and also my guest's. We had already started to eat them so didn't return them ... but they would offer us anything off the price...and no thankyou.

Breakfast room service was good as was a room service dinner we had on one of our 5 nights on points. I found the stairs coming back from the beach a struggle for my old legs...thought they had a shuttle car but not any more. At breakfast they still have problems with birds because the students don't clean off the tables.

I'm a lifetime platinum elite and got a nice upgrade to a 1 bdrm suite facing the water .. it was on a floor however that people could walk back and forth in front of your sitting area. 3rd floor if I remember correctly.

The resort fee is a rip off in my opinion. Valet parking is expensive too, but the walk to the parking lot is an uphill walk. Again, shuttles not readily available.

margarita girl Oct 6, 2020 7:54 am

I am considering a stay at this hotel, but I see they have a spectacular $50 resort fee. I checked both the Marriott and hotel website and there's no description of what you get for $50. I emailed the hotel and they sent me an activities schedule (many of which have a surcharge)! My plan was to go there to do some cycling. :mad:

margarita girl Dec 5, 2020 2:58 pm

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights at the beginning of Nov and enjoyed some unusually warm weather (20-21C). The resort fee is $49 from May-Oct and $39 from Nov-Apr, so we got a bit of a break there, plus as Titanium, we got an additional $10 discount, so the resort fee ended up being $29.

I contacted the hotel via chat and inquired about an upgrade. I used points (off peak pricing) so had booked a basic room. I was upgraded to a one bedroom suite, no view. Upon arrival, I asked if any suites were available with a view of Lake Rosseau. The FD agent said in a condescending tone that I had already been upgraded from my studio room. We arrived at 1 pm and were told there were no rooms available and they would call us when our suite was ready. After we walked away from the Front Desk, it dawned on my that my status had not been acknowledged, nor was the breakfast benefit mentioned. I went back to the front desk and another agent was very apologetic. He said they would move me to the best available room which was a one bedroom suite with a view of the lake and it was available immediately. The breakfast benefit is a $75/day room credit, which can be used for anything at Cottages Restaurant including tax and tip.

The property is beautiful. Our suite had a huge balcony with a stunning view of Lake Rosseau. Suite had a fireplace in the living room and a kitchen with small fridge and microwave. One annoying thing is the safe wasn't functional. It was just a metal box with no electronics. I mentioned it at the front desk, but it was never repaired during our stay.

The resort fee includes bicycles, so we went out for a ride the first day. Unfortunately, there are no trails to bike on (only roads), so we ended up cycling on the golf cart pathways through the golf course which would never be allowed if the course was open (or if anyone had seen us). The bikes were not in great condition.

There's a great hiking trail about 20 kms away called the Hardy Lake Loop Trail. It was 8 kms long and fairly challenging, but there is gorgeous scenery around the lake.

Dinners were outstanding but also quite expensive as you would expect at a resort like this. We had dinner at Teca, the Italian restaurant the first night, and Lakes, the lobby restaurant the second night. Breakfast at Cottages Restaurant was also great. There is a breakfast buffet listed on the (paper) menu for $29, but it is not available due to Covid. The $75 was enough to cover a full breakfast for two however.

Housekeeping was available upon request.

Overall, a great stay, even though the lack of acknowledgement of Elite status got us off to a rocky start. I don't think that's ever happened to me before which is why it took me a while to realize why the FD agent seemed so offended that I had the audacity to ask for a room with a view! Good to be reminded how the non-status guests are treated I guess. LOL

yyzflyer Dec 5, 2020 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl (Post 32865354)
I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights at the beginning of Nov and enjoyed some unusually warm weather (20-21C). The resort fee is $49 from May-Oct and $39 from Nov-Apr, so we got a bit of a break there, plus as Titanium, we got an additional $10 discount, so the resort fee ended up being $29.

I contacted the hotel via chat and inquired about an upgrade. I used points (off peak pricing) so had booked a basic room. I was upgraded to a one bedroom suite, no view. Upon arrival, I asked if any suites were available with a view of Lake Rosseau. The FD agent said in a condescending tone that I had already been upgraded from my studio room. We arrived at 1 pm and were told there were no rooms available and they would call us when our suite was ready. After we walked away from the Front Desk, it dawned on my that my status had not been acknowledged, nor was the breakfast benefit mentioned. I went back to the front desk and another agent was very apologetic. He said they would move me to the best available room which was a one bedroom suite with a view of the lake and it was available immediately. The breakfast benefit is a $75/day room credit, which can be used for anything at Cottages Restaurant including tax and tip.

The property is beautiful. Our suite had a huge balcony with a stunning view of Lake Rosseau. Suite had a fireplace in the living room and a kitchen with small fridge and microwave. One annoying thing is the safe wasn't functional. It was just a metal box with no electronics. I mentioned it at the front desk, but it was never repaired during our stay.

The resort fee includes bicycles, so we went out for a ride the first day. Unfortunately, there are no trails to bike on (only roads), so we ended up cycling on the golf cart pathways through the golf course which would never be allowed if the course was open (or if anyone had seen us). The bikes were not in great condition.

There's a great hiking trail about 20 kms away called the Hardy Lake Loop Trail. It was 8 kms long and fairly challenging, but there is gorgeous scenery around the lake.

Dinners were outstanding but also quite expensive as you would expect at a resort like this. We had dinner at Teca, the Italian restaurant the first night, and Lakes, the lobby restaurant the second night. Breakfast at Cottages Restaurant was also great. There is a breakfast buffet listed on the (paper) menu for $29, but it is not available due to Covid. The $75 was enough to cover a full breakfast for two however.

Housekeeping was available upon request.

Overall, a great stay, even though the lack of acknowledgement of Elite status got us off to a rocky start. I don't think that's ever happened to me before which is why it took me a while to realize why the FD agent seemed so offended that I had the audacity to ask for a room with a view! Good to be reminded how the non-status guests are treated I guess. LOL

Thanks for the update. This has been a "go-to" place for years, and frankly the lack of elite recognition is nothing new. We've usually tried to go mid-week to avoid the weekend markup, but have often suffered from restaurant closures (only open on weekends). One time there was nothing to eat for dinner on-property but room service. When open their restaurants are outstanding. The resort fee - now higher than in the past - really only provides value if you're staying for multiple days and doing all the included activities. (We visit friends in the area so are out most of the day.) Other than the lack of daily housekeeping, not that much seems to have changed.

joeags Dec 6, 2020 10:13 am

One thing I will throw in is that the nearest town with restaurants is a 30 minute drive and the prices weren't any cheaper than the resort restaurant prices. You can get groceries there, but if you are on a dining out vacation and don't want to drive and lose time from relaxing, I don't know if it's worth the effort to eat off site. And how I hate to admit that!

najama2 Jun 18, 2021 8:54 pm

Anyone stay here recently? What kind of offerings does the property currently have? We have a 5 night stay booked for next week.

musicscrip Jun 26, 2022 3:51 pm

hi

We are titanium elite now at JW Muskoka. Check in time is at 4pm but now it‘s 5:50 but we still don’t have a room. They said upgrades aren‘t available even though lots lots of 1 bed room suites or better are available online. We are still waiting for our room… this is TERRIBLE.

yyzflyer Jun 26, 2022 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by musicscrip (Post 34371888)
hi

We are titanium elite now at JW Muskoka. Check in time is at 4pm but now it‘s 5:50 but we still don’t have a room. They said upgrades aren‘t available even though lots lots of 1 bed room suites or better are available online. We are still waiting for our room… this is TERRIBLE.

Sorry your room wasn't ready. Sunday is the worst day to check in at this property since they are always rammed full on weekends and elites would technically be allowed to check out later on Sunday, with a resulting delay to housekeeping. That said, I have never experienced much elite recognition there as Platinum or Titanium. While I'm sure others will chime in with stories how they get upgraded every time, I have always received the exact room I reserved on every stay unless offered a cash upgrade at check-in. I do hope you enjoy the rest of your stay; it's a very nice spot.

llbean Nov 10, 2022 5:56 am

Hi All
Was supposed to go to Florida this weekend but unfortunately Hurricane Nicole forced us to cancel.
We are trying to plan a back up and thinking of going to the JW Rousseau for a couple of nights. Me and my wife, our two kids (6/4) and grandparents
We can get a two bedroom junior suite or a two bedroom executive suite. The executive suite has a view, a bit more space and the second room has 2 Queens vs a King and a sofa bed
The price is ~500 dollars more for the two nights.
I am a lowly Gold so don’t know what the chances of an upgrade would be if we book the Junior suite given it seems upgrades are pretty inconsistent here
Anyone have any advice to offer esp if you have stayed there before?

https://www.marriott.com/reservation...FullPrice=true

yyzflyer Nov 10, 2022 7:16 am

I have stayed there several times since the Marriott acquisition and have never gotten an upgrade for status nor had an SNA clear. I'd still go back.;) It's a very nice property and this weekend is probably the last "good" weather for driving there before things become less predictable. I know someone who was there last week and did get upgraded though - only because of a problem with their initial room. They received a 2-bedroom "condo-like" unit with a balcony and were very happy. There were seasonal reductions in F&B options but they enjoyed what they had. (With no status they drove off-site for breakfast to save money.)