Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka Resort & Spa - Canada [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2020, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Concierge email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka Resort & Spa - Canada [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2017, 11:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the trip report. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old May 8, 2017, 6:38 am

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
Any recent stays? Can anyone tell me how they are with Platinum upgrades?

Thanks a bunch.
Old May 8, 2017, 7:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by tfong007
Any recent stays? Can anyone tell me how they are with Platinum upgrades?

Thanks a bunch.
Read 2 posts above yours.

Cheers.
Old May 8, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
My nephew is the sports coordinator...

...at this property as his summer job.
So if visiting tell him Homer says hello.
Old May 9, 2017, 3:51 pm

My experience almost exactly and I rented a 1 bdrm but no upgrade (it was summer) and really dislike their resort fee ... which in Winter must be a total waste of money.

Originally Posted by Muerz

Now the bad part: Elite recognition isn't their strongest part. Yes, my room was upgraded from Studio no view to a Studio with view room and balcony (which was closed) but this was far from being the best available room and it wan't that busy during my stay (I checked but dis not press the issue). Their is not a single benefit to staying here as an Elite since the Internet access is also included in the obligatory resort fee and this stupid fee isn't discounted for Elites. So, two thumbs down on treatment of Platinum Premiers!

!
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:35 pm

Any recent stays or updates? I am seeing negativity about the food in other forums. Haven't been in several years, planning a family visit in a couple weeks.

Cheers,
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:03 pm

Anyone stay here recently? Would love to hear about Platinum/Titanium treatment and experiences.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
I actually stayed here for a night last week and loved it. It‘s one of my favorite properties in Canada. I was upgraded from a simple studio room to a beautiful one bedroom suite, just like last year. As a Platinum arrival gift, I chose the breakfast benefit and I was given the full breakfast buffet inclusive of gratuity. They also discounted the resort fee by 10 CAD for this Titanium member.

The property is often getting much heat about being elite unfriendly and I guess that could be the case in summer when they can ask whatever rate they want and still be sold out most of the time. Most people don‘t know that the area is sort of a celebrity/rich people hangout in Canada. I always go in winter and it‘s absolutely marvelous then.

If you go midweek in winter, be prepared for limited services/opening hours of restaurants spas and limited staffing. I talked to someone at breakfast and was told that they only opend the buffet if they have at least 15 rooms occupied. I was also told that sometimes they have as few as 2-3 rooms occupied on midweek nights.

But in short, it‘s a gorgeous property and I absolutely love it. The location is so beautiful and peaceful in winter. Being able to swim outside and watch the sunrise over the frozen lakes while having negative temperatures is one of the most relaxing experiences I ever had.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier
Originally Posted by Muerz
I actually stayed here for a night last week and loved it. It‘s one of my favorite properties in Canada. I was upgraded from a simple studio room to a beautiful one bedroom suite, just like last year. As a Platinum arrival gift, I chose the breakfast benefit and I was given the full breakfast buffet inclusive of gratuity. They also discounted the resort fee by 10 CAD for this Titanium member.

The property is often getting much heat about being elite unfriendly and I guess that could be the case in summer when they can ask whatever rate they want and still be sold out most of the time. Most people don‘t know that the area is sort of a celebrity/rich people hangout in Canada. I always go in winter and it‘s absolutely marvelous then.

If you go midweek in winter, be prepared for limited services/opening hours of restaurants spas and limited staffing. I talked to someone at breakfast and was told that they only opend the buffet if they have at least 15 rooms occupied. I was also told that sometimes they have as few as 2-3 rooms occupied on midweek nights.

But in short, it‘s a gorgeous property and I absolutely love it. The location is so beautiful and peaceful in winter. Being able to swim outside and watch the sunrise over the frozen lakes while having negative temperatures is one of the most relaxing experiences I ever had.
I grew up in Bracebridge, met a lot of hockey players and cast from SCTV etc. It is a beautiful area all year round, but like others have noted the summer is crazy and expensive.

From a NYT article:

Never heard of Muskoka? You're not the only one. Scott Wittman, the lyricist for the Broadway musical "Hairspray," hadn't either, until the comedian Martin Short invited him up this summer. "It's a little bit of Hollywood up here," said Mr. Wittman, a Manhattan resident, who spent a month writing and swimming at Mr. Short's cottage on Lake Rosseau. "It's like Golden Pond. You almost expect Katharine Hepburn to come around the corner at any moment."

Or at least Goldie Hawn, Kurt Russell, Tom Hanks or Steven Spielberg -- all either own cottages in Muskoka or visit often.

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/16/r...the-north.html
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Has anyone stayed here recently? Would i like this property? Pictures make it look a bit worn and past its prime....
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:36 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Originally Posted by cfabar1
Has anyone stayed here recently? Would i like this property? Pictures make it look a bit worn and past its prime....
Just look up two responses and you‘ll find my thoughts on a stay last week.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by cfabar1
Just finished a 3 night stay. It's a nice property, but it really doesn't live up to its promise, especially the restaurants. The food is not bad, just over priced and service is sketchy. Check your restaurant bills closely, as we found little errors on ours pretty well every day.

The pools are nice, as is the setting. The rooms themselves are pretty well are suites, with kitchens. A bit dated but well appointed.

As for elite recognition, there was some mention of upgrading me to a room with a balcony, and daily breakfast for two in lieu of points. Except all the balconies at this property are sealed shut in the winter.

All in all we we enjoyed our stay but felt it really doesn't live up to its promise. I don't mind paying top dollar for a top product, but this one falls short imo. This was my fourth visit, and I am not sure I would return.

Cheers,
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada 35K
I stayed here for 1 night last July on points and we had a great time. It was the first week of July when it is usually high season (weather was fabulous) but I was still upgraded to a 1-bedroom suite overlooking the lake. We didn't eat at the property so cannot comment. The place didn't seem too busy and the beach was awesome. We also rented jet skis both days and toured around the lake. I would highly recommend to anyone looking to stay here.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Matt93
I stayed here for 1 night last July on points and we had a great time. It was the first week of July when it is usually high season (weather was fabulous) but I was still upgraded to a 1-bedroom suite overlooking the lake. We didn't eat at the property so cannot comment. The place didn't seem too busy and the beach was awesome. We also rented jet skis both days and toured around the lake. I would highly recommend to anyone looking to stay here.
Nice! We are plat and hoping we will get an upgrade when we go first week of Sept. Did anyone stay here this summer and have any reviews of how everything is like during Covit?
Old Sep 3, 2020, 1:44 pm

Just checked in this afternoon and plenty suites available for $100 on top of the 50000 marriott pt/night yet they would only offer a room with balcony as upgrade for plat elite (not even a room with a view). I didn’t ask again but it was pretty disappointing when the hotel isn’t even sold out!!! I chose breakfast $75 credit for the elite welcome gift.

There was a wet spot on the chair cushion indoor and that took 30min to get exchanged. No tea bags (just 4 bags of coffee) in the room so had to call for that too.

We recently stayed at Westin Blue Mountain and it’s so much better at following all Covit protocols especially at the pool. We are too scared to use the canoe as we don’t see them sanitizing them after each use before assigning to the next customer so the $50 resort fee is pretty useless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.