Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Sao Paulo WTC Hotel, Brazil [Master Thread]

Sheraton Sao Paulo WTC Hotel, Brazil [Master Thread]

Old Feb 11, 2014, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I'm a little PO'd at this hotel too as I thought I was getting a metered taxi ride (<10 minutes, ~4km) for my 2nd business day last week - but they snookered me with a flat rate car service that was 4x the price of the meter taxi the previous day.

Between that and the overpriced airport ride, I think I am going to forcefully stay to metered taxis and Sao Paulo Airport Transfers for the GRU trips.

Other than that - I did get a nice Design Room, enjoyed both lounges as usual, etc. There is a lot to like about this property.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 4:09 pm
cxn

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I'm a little PO'd at this hotel too as I thought I was getting a metered taxi ride (<10 minutes, ~4km) for my 2nd business day last week - but they snookered me with a flat rate car service that was 4x the price of the meter taxi the previous day.

Between that and the overpriced airport ride, I think I am going to forcefully stay to metered taxis and Sao Paulo Airport Transfers for the GRU trips.
I guess you don't travel enough. Whenever I ask for a 'taxi' I always ask for meter. If I get in I ask the driver for meter and to turn it on. If there is a flat rate discussion it happens before I leave the property. I have asked Taxis to drop me off or return me if there were questions.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cxn
I guess you don't travel enough. Whenever I ask for a 'taxi' I always ask for meter. If I get in I ask the driver for meter and to turn it on. If there is a flat rate discussion it happens before I leave the property. I have asked Taxis to drop me off or return me if there were questions.
Actually, I do travel "enough", and I was told it was a metered taxi
Old Feb 11, 2014, 8:17 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by ryan182
When I challenged the front desk they acknowledged that it was 20 basis points higher than the official Banco de Brazil rate...
If someone is quoting you a "Banco de Brazil" rate, then I would not trust them to begin with as I have never heard of this bank before in my life. Now if you're referring to Banco do Brasil, or the officiating Banco Central do Brasil, then this is a different story...
Old Oct 11, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Reviving an old thread. Have renovations gone... Anywhere?
Old Nov 15, 2015, 1:57 am

Also considering staying there - anybody stayed there recently?
Old Nov 15, 2015, 5:58 am

Programs: * Alliance Gold, oneworld Emerald, Marriott Bonvoy LT TE, HHonors Diamond, WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by MichaelJapan
Also considering staying there - anybody stayed there recently?
Stayed there in May(non renovated room),in September (renovated) and will stay after two weeks. Breakfast in lounge(Plat amenity) plus 500 points,small evening snacks and drinks from 7.30PM(nothing to write about) and participating in"Make a green choice". There are two lounges,one in 4th floor(Design lounge),other in higher floor(do not remember).Very good service level(FD and lounge).
Old Dec 15, 2015, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta PM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, IHG Gold
Stayed here last week and had a really great stay. Was upgraded to one of the design rooms.

Great breakfast: mangoes were excellent.

Hotel has amazing staff. One of the best hotel room service I've encountered as well: I'm a bit of the slob but they consistently did a great job tidying away my stuff. I left a huge tip.

Only complaint was the tiny gym.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Doing some research and it appears there is an Airport Bus service from the World Trade Center to GRU. Previous posts have talked about this service stopping at the Hyatt, or the D&D mall. Has anyone recently stayed here and used this bus and can clarify exactly where the boarding stop actually is?

--------------

To answer my own question, and for the reference of others, the Airport Service bus runs directly to and from the main entrance of the WTC. This office tower lobby connects directly with the mall (made up of home decor outlets) which leads to the hotel lobby. There is a ticket counter at the main reception of the office tower. Note that at the airport end, the bus service originates from Terminal 2 and only makes a stop at Terminal 1 but not Terminal 3 where UA and AA arrive. There are no signs that I could find at T3 to this service but you should cross to the centre loading area and take an intra-terminal shuttle to T2 where you will find a ticket counter and the departure zones for the various buses into the city. Fare is R45. There are several routes (check online on the GRU web site). As I stayed my first couple of nights in the centre of the city, I took the Republica route that continues on to the main hotels near Paulista. It dropped me right in front of the IC, a much better situated hotel for sightseeing than the Sheraton, Hilton or Hyatt which are all at the WTC district. There are also lots of Accor properties in this district where the IC is the only brand-name American chain to be found.

Last edited by Shareholder; Apr 18, 2016 at 8:03 am
Old Apr 17, 2016, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Worst designed hotel room ever!

Okay now here at the Sheraton WTC watching the impeachment vote on TV, the controls of which are incomprehensible. More to the point, the room is the worst designed hotel room I've ever stayed in. Totally unfunctional. There is no lighting overhead the bed and the bedside lamps provided can't be positioned to cast enough light to read without their glare killing one's ability to read a page! They also occupy the only nearby electrical outlets so no other devices can be plugged in at the same time (though the outlets do take North American plugs without adaptors). The light switches are across the room and there is no bedside switch to deal with the main room lighting. The bed has no bedboard so it is impossible to sit up to watch TV or read (if you can get some light)...the actual mattress is about a foot from the wall and no number of pillows provides any support!

As for a work space, there is a small round table but you better have a long cord to connect to the nearest electrical outlet.

The designer of this atrocious room is Josemar Costa jr according to a sign in the corner. Obviously he's never stayed in a hotel, nor wanted to read in any bed he's slept in at home or away. And he seems to have a fixation with 60s shag carpeting. (At least it's not orange shag like the "love suite" I once received in a small hotel in Najpur, India. As the producer of a film shoot, the manager put me into what must have been the suite used by various locals and their mistresses...really out of Austin Powers with controls by the bed to control the blinds, fan, lighting and music!)

Too late to request a new room with properly designed furnishings. Only here for one night, having spent the weekend in the more traditional, and much better located for tourist activities, IC just off Paulista blvd...site of the huge rally in favour of impeaching the president (which just passed by more than the 2/3rds required). The only reason to stay out here is if one has business meetings as there is absolutely nothing to commend the district to a visitor and it's about R50 from central Sao Paulo.

Otherwise, the hotel is very nice and meets one's expectation of a non-US Sheraton. Staff is friendly and accommodating with no issues to having a 4p check-out so I can work until my 4:30p airport bus.

Last edited by Shareholder; Apr 18, 2016 at 7:54 am
Old Jul 22, 2017, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Are there still two separate lounges for club and design level guests? What is the difference between the two?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Are there still two separate lounges for club and design level guests? What is the difference between the two?
Yes, separate lounges. IIRC Club Lounge not open on weekends, but Plats can use design lounge. And design lounge doesn't serve breakfast, so on weekends we were directed to an extensive buffet at the A! Club. I think the only meaningful difference between lounges was premium hard liquor at the design lounge, but only wine & beer at Club lounge.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Anything going on with the hotel? I was trying to look up rates for my upcoming stay there (basically to see if the rate has dropped and I could get a better deal), but the hotel shows no availability at all for any date...temporary issue or a sign that there is something wrong?

FWIW my reservation is still intact on the SPG-website...thanks for your feedback here!

Greetings - Dirk
Old Aug 23, 2017, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by djohannw
Anything going on with the hotel? I was trying to look up rates for my upcoming stay there (basically to see if the rate has dropped and I could get a better deal), but the hotel shows no availability at all for any date...temporary issue or a sign that there is something wrong?

FWIW my reservation is still intact on the SPG-website...thanks for your feedback here!

Greetings - Dirk
Think it was a website bug - same thing happened to me on a search in Mexico City about an hour or so ago, tried again and the rates appeared
Old Aug 23, 2017, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Checked back this morning (over here), and availability is back, but now the hotel quotes in BRL and no longer in US$. Seems that the rates were gone while they were in the process of changing currencies...

Greetings - Dirk

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.