Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Waikiki Beach, HI [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Marriott Waikiki Beach, HI [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2012, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
None of us can answer your question, but I know that hotel very well, it's just I'm not gold. They do upgrade according to status, meaning that they will upgrade their plats to just below a suite, etc. They have a fixed chart that they use according to status and book according to that chart.

Now if you have a special request, why not fax it to the hotel about 3 days prior to your arrival? All you have to say is that you are there for whatever reason you want, and that will assure you that they will review your reservation and if at all possible give you an upgrade. You don't even have to ask for an upgrade, just let them know why you are there and say that an upgrade would be nice. Also, when you check in, you can ask if you can upgrade beyond what they "naturally" upgrade you to, and you can pay for an upgrade to a higher class room if you wish.

This particular hotel has many different room types. These are spelled out on their web site, and there are pictures and drawings of the rooms, and locations within the buildings. Familiarize yourself with the type you are interested in; realizing that suite upgrades, for free, are out of the question. I, very rarely, get suite upgrades at that hotel. I have gotten the "family room" when traveling with two other people, giving us each a bed. Only drawback to this is that it is located on the back of the building, away from the ocean. On that trip, beds were more important. They have always treated me very well at that hotel, if I had requests. Most times I take what they give me.

But the reality, is the hotel won't know if you will get an upgrade until about a day before you arrive, and it will depend on how many other people are there and what room types they have already paid for. In my experience, there are usually many upgraded room types available - this hotel is used by Asian tour agencies and they book the lower type rooms, leaving more of the higher level rooms available.

Billy
Old Oct 14, 2012, 7:23 pm

Programs: DM member since 1996, DM Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks!

Billy:

Thanks for all the feedback. It happens to be our 17th anny trip during our trip. I will take your idea and reach out to the GM. I was kinda of hoping to hear some previous awesome upgrades golds have received in the past during the off season.
Yes you can't give everything away but sometimes in low season a nice comp to a very loyal guest can go a long way!
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:53 am

Programs: AA-LEP,United-1K Again!, USAIR-CHRMN, MW Plat Prem, SW-Gold, Hilton-Silver, Hertz-Platnium
I have stayed at this hotel quite often as well (probably 20+ stays total) but I am a Platinum Premier and a recognized repeat guest of this property. Of my 20 stays, I have had a regular room twice - but always upgraded (booked city view and ended up with ocean view). Most of the time we received an upgrade to a one bedroom suite (room numbers end in 01/03). A few times (including the last trip) we received an upgrade to a 'named' suite. My thoughts that as a gold during off season, you will get an upgrade to a ocean view to a city view. Ask to be placed in the front building, and possibly at the very end. They also have some junior suites that they might be willing to upgrade you to if you ask nicely in advance. The GM here is very accommodating.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 1:04 pm

May I make a suggestion? I have stayed at this hotel and was not pleased at all. The facility itself is just fine, but the location is horrendous. You are right smack in the middle of the noisiest, busiest area, on a very public, narrow beach (one that is not very clean and is usually pretty crowded, including homeless people).

There are much nicer Marriotts in HNL...i.e., the JW Marriott Ko Olina is beautiful. There is just no comparison. Unless there's a reason you want to be in Waikiki. I just don't understand why anyone would pick the Waikiki Marriott over the Ko Olina one, if you have a choice.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Delta3MM
None of us can answer your question, but I know that hotel very well, it's just I'm not gold. They do upgrade according to status, meaning that they will upgrade their plats to just below a suite, etc. They have a fixed chart that they use according to status and book according to that chart.

Now if you have a special request, why not fax it to the hotel about 3 days prior to your arrival? All you have to say is that you are there for whatever reason you want, and that will assure you that they will review your reservation and if at all possible give you an upgrade. You don't even have to ask for an upgrade, just let them know why you are there and say that an upgrade would be nice. Also, when you check in, you can ask if you can upgrade beyond what they "naturally" upgrade you to, and you can pay for an upgrade to a higher class room if you wish.

This particular hotel has many different room types. These are spelled out on their web site, and there are pictures and drawings of the rooms, and locations within the buildings. Familiarize yourself with the type you are interested in; realizing that suite upgrades, for free, are out of the question. I, very rarely, get suite upgrades at that hotel. I have gotten the "family room" when traveling with two other people, giving us each a bed. Only drawback to this is that it is located on the back of the building, away from the ocean. On that trip, beds were more important. They have always treated me very well at that hotel, if I had requests. Most times I take what they give me.

But the reality, is the hotel won't know if you will get an upgrade until about a day before you arrive, and it will depend on how many other people are there and what room types they have already paid for. In my experience, there are usually many upgraded room types available - this hotel is used by Asian tour agencies and they book the lower type rooms, leaving more of the higher level rooms available.

Billy
Originally Posted by calitequilasippergirl
I have stayed at this hotel quite often as well (probably 20+ stays total) but I am a Platinum Premier and a recognized repeat guest of this property. Of my 20 stays, I have had a regular room twice - but always upgraded (booked city view and ended up with ocean view). Most of the time we received an upgrade to a one bedroom suite (room numbers end in 01/03). A few times (including the last trip) we received an upgrade to a 'named' suite. My thoughts that as a gold during off season, you will get an upgrade to a ocean view to a city view. Ask to be placed in the front building, and possibly at the very end. They also have some junior suites that they might be willing to upgrade you to if you ask nicely in advance. The GM here is very accommodating.
Great input for the OP & others who might have the same question.

Cheers.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sunnyjl
May I make a suggestion? I have stayed at this hotel and was not pleased at all. The facility itself is just fine, but the location is horrendous. You are right smack in the middle of the noisiest, busiest area, on a very public, narrow beach (one that is not very clean and is usually pretty crowded, including homeless people).

There are much nicer Marriotts in HNL...i.e., the JW Marriott Ko Olina is beautiful. There is just no comparison. Unless there's a reason you want to be in Waikiki. I just don't understand why anyone would pick the Waikiki Marriott over the Ko Olina one, if you have a choice.
Ko Olina is $409 when I'm going, Waikiki is $176 (corporate rate).

That does it for me.

I'm a Plat, and simply hoping for an ocean view in the tower. Should be okay.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 2:46 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, National Exec
I was there recently and even as a plat I only received a one level upgrade at check-in. Take a look at this link which clearly spells out which rooms are what level. You can tell by their rack rates what is considered the next level up. I wouldn't go in expecting much more than a one level upgrade, maybe two if you are lucky.
https://www.marriott.com/hotelwebsit...om%20Rates.pdf
Old Oct 15, 2012, 6:20 pm

Thanks for all the info so far!!
Old Oct 15, 2012, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA-LEP,United-1K Again!, USAIR-CHRMN, MW Plat Prem, SW-Gold, Hilton-Silver, Hertz-Platnium
Originally Posted by Jonas36
I was there recently and even as a plat I only received a one level upgrade at check-in. Take a look at this link which clearly spells out which rooms are what level. You can tell by their rack rates what is considered the next level up. I wouldn't go in expecting much more than a one level upgrade, maybe two if you are lucky.
https://www.marriott.com/hotelwebsit...om%20Rates.pdf
You should have no problem getting the Deluxe Ocean View (Yellow) during off season with booking the lowest level room. Good luck and enjoy! The sushi restaurant onsite is fairly good. For more authentic sushi, head to Tokuri Tei. There are some obviously great restaurants, but head over to Honolulu downtown area to find lots of places that have a variety of awesome 'dinner plates'. Haleiwa Eats on the north shore is great Thai. Forgo the beach front restaurant at Turtle Bay for the one on the golf course.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 2:32 pm

Programs: Thai silver(expired), Eva Gold(expired), SPG Gold (expired), MR gold, AA Exp 1MM, UA platinum.
Cheaper parking

Originally Posted by sunnyjl
I just don't understand why anyone would pick the Waikiki Marriott over the Ko Olina one, if you have a choice.
more choices for cheaper parking .
Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:31 pm

Data Points

Thanks for all the advice. I just got back yesterday and even though I used 30k points per night as a Gold member I got upgraded to a Deluxe ocean view room in the front tower. As pointed out by previous posters this could happen to golds and plats. Your mileage may very. But I had a lot of things working for me. Off season the first week of Nov, mentioned the trip with the wife next to me was a big anniversary trip, made sure I got checked in via the elite line plus I am a very friendly and easy going/loving person so I click with front line personnel so comps sometimes come easy just being me/nice.

Bonus as I was using my charm at checkin I did not have to pay for the resort fee.

Another hint as I rented a car for 2 days during the trip. Thinking the big parking garage right behind the hotel was the Marriott garage I pulled in. Not so but they charge $12 for 24 hours with in/out priv vs $32 at the hotel. Garage seemed safe with attendant at all times. No problems at all and even pulled up at the Porte to pick up my luggage on check out day.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 7:23 am

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Bighead1970
Thanks for all the advice. I just got back yesterday and even though I used 30k points per night as a Gold member I got upgraded to a Deluxe ocean view room in the front tower. As pointed out by previous posters this could happen to golds and plats. Your mileage may very. But I had a lot of things working for me. Off season the first week of Nov, mentioned the trip with the wife next to me was a big anniversary trip, made sure I got checked in via the elite line plus I am a very friendly and easy going/loving person so I click with front line personnel so comps sometimes come easy just being me/nice.

Bonus as I was using my charm at checkin I did not have to pay for the resort fee.

Another hint as I rented a car for 2 days during the trip. Thinking the big parking garage right behind the hotel was the Marriott garage I pulled in. Not so but they charge $12 for 24 hours with in/out priv vs $32 at the hotel. Garage seemed safe with attendant at all times. No problems at all and even pulled up at the Porte to pick up my luggage on check out day.
Your experience matches mine- the hotel treats us well. Sure, it's not the nicest hotel - and its at the end of Waikiki rather than the middle, but they do come through with upgrades and make you feel good when you're there. I personally have nothing but praise for the hotel and considering it's the only full service Marriott in Honolulu, I for one am glad it's available.

I'm not detracting from the Courtyard, but I have enjoyed my stays at this hotel better and gotten some very nice upgrades.

Billy
Old Nov 9, 2012, 8:18 am

I prefer the MVC at Ko Olina. Waikiki is just way too busy. It's not much a vacation to me.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by aacharya
Ko Olina is $409 when I'm going, Waikiki is $176 (corporate rate).

That does it for me.

I'm a Plat, and simply hoping for an ocean view in the tower. Should be okay.
Yeah, that would do it for me too!

FYI you are interested in Ko Olina, the MVCI has a normal hotel room in the low $200s usually w/ the 35% off Elite rates that come up time to time. That's a better value than the JW, and you can still go have lunch at the JW for the shark feeding or use their spa and cross charge. The pool at the JW is pretty lame IMHO compared to the MVCI Ko Olina pools.

Waikiki has a lot more going on in the evening than Ko Olina; lots of nice restaurants to try (different one every night). Sansei one night, Nobu another night, sunset at the bar in the Halekalani hotel, Allan Wong's Pineapple room for lunch etc.

Marriott Waikki is a decent value and every one gets an upgrade at least 1 level (even if you have no status) during the off season. As a gold you should do all right. Don't be afraid to negotiate politely with the manager. I usually like the rooms in the 1st tower closer to the beach but facing north so you get a view of the ocean. Just ask for a mid tier floor or higher so you won't have to hear the commotion at Tiki's in the evening on weekends. As long as you aren't too low on the floors you are okay.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:17 am

Programs: United-1k, Marriott-Lifetime Plat
Does anyone have a contact for the GM at the Marriott Waikiki Beach Resort/Spa? I am trying to get in contact with them prior to my arrival.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.