Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Experience using Marriott Gift Cards (especially overseas)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experience using Marriott Gift Cards (especially overseas)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2007, 8:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by StephanyKR

If any Marriott WORLDWIDE has a machine that takes Visa Credit Cards (which all Marriotts do), they can accept these cards.

this is the KEY. when I 1st used the GC Overseas in April they swiped it like they did all the CCs via their computer and it didnt take, then he went over to the Cashiers cage and swiped it via a reg CC machine and instant presto it Took it.

When I checked out of the same Hotel a couple of weeks ago, with a different person behind the FD, I tried to explain what they had to do but they knew better. In the end they listened to Me and added the 4 before swiping it (Thanks to whomever posted about that somewhere) and I was on my way.

So make sure that the GC at least outside the US is swiped in a reg CC machine and remember if it doesnt take to tell them to 1st key in the #4 before actually swiping it.

GLAD it all worked out in the end for the OP
Old Jun 12, 2007, 8:16 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I didn't have any issues using my GC at the Ren CC in London. So they are definitely usable, assuming the staff at the hotel in question will take them.

My only minor issue was that they couldn't see the balance, so the front desk person asked if the balance was enough to cover the charges. I said yes, they gave the card a quick swipe, and no issues.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:38 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by StephanyKR
UPDATE: This is not true. I was able, after arguing for two months, to get the Preston Marriott to accept the fact that these cards are valid on incidentals AND room charges.

I ran into trouble using these cards in Manchester, Leeds and London but after refusing to take no for an answer and armed with my email correspondance with Nancy print out along with the Gift Card Terms and Conditions I was able to get them to just swipe the darn card.
Congratulations on dealing with gross incomptenence, and perservering.

Last edited by ohmark; Jun 12, 2007 at 2:04 pm
Old Jun 12, 2007, 9:15 pm
Original Member

Glad it all worked out for you. And if Nancy in customer service should happen to frequent FlyerTalk, a special thank you to her too!^
Old Jun 13, 2007, 5:52 am

Programs: UA IK: Marriott Platinum: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by general45
Glad it all worked out for you. And if Nancy in customer service should happen to frequent FlyerTalk, a special thank you to her too!^
Yes I have sent Nancy several letters of thank you including one to her supervisor as I think she was key in getting this resolved (at least at the Preston Marriott anyway)

Many thanks to all of you with you suggestions. All of those combined helped me get my point across and eventually what I needed.

On another note, they did not have to enter a 4 before swiping. The only time they had to enter a 4 was when they typed it in manually.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA lifetime gold, Marriott Plat.
do gift card expire?

We bought gift cards last year during the special promotion but forgot about them until just recently. Do they expire? We are planning an extended trip to Costa Rica in January and will use them then, but need to know before we try to use them. At that time they will be about a year old. Thanks
Old Oct 15, 2007, 11:34 am

Programs: AAEXP 3+MM, Marriott Plt and Plt for life, Hyatt Diamond
I did the exact same thing. I can not find the answer. I am hoping someone here will answer.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 2:06 pm

Card value does not expire. Card becomes inactive at the earlier of (a) the use of all value or (b) the posted renewal date. Upon request Marriott will replace card with a new card having an equivalent remaining value anytime after the posted renewal date.
If I recall correctly, the cards for the earlier promotion had a "renewal date" (look on the back next to the "account number", above all the fine print) in 2010.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 2:19 pm
R&R

Programs: 1K-UA/AA, LT PLAT-MARRIOTT(1984), HILTON-GOLD, HYATT-GOLD
Thumbs down POOR VALUE if you use them outside the US

Visa processes them as a credit card and charges a 3% fee.
Does not make sense, since they are prepaid cash cards!

I object to that explanation of their charges!

Old Oct 15, 2007, 3:23 pm

That's a currency conversion fee.

VISA charges 3% currency exchange (conversion) fee (like the AMEX 2% fee) on all foreign currency transactions. If you use the card overseas for a bill in other than dollars, you will incur a currency conversion fee.

If you paid the hotel bill denominated in a foreign currency with dollars (cash), the conversion would be at the hotel's posted cash conversion rate, which is usually closer to 8% to 12% depending on the property.

I've used the card overseas to pay a bill denominated in dollars, and was not charged any fee by VISA.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 9:20 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold SPG Gold National Executive Avis Preferred Hertz Gold
Marriott vacation card

I'll be spending a week in Cancun on an award stay at the Hilton property. However I have a Marriott vacation card with several hundred dollars and would like to use it for restaurant dining at Casa Magna/JW Marriott--is this possible--to use card even if not staying at one of the Marriots? Thanks for your help.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 9:28 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Marriott gift cards can be used in Marriott properties for restaurant and spa purchases even if you are not a guest at the hotel.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 11:47 am

you should try the lobster buffet at the JW. I think it is sun,wed and fri.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 3:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AA Platinum
You can use them if you don't check in - it is just a normal purchase which is covered under the T+C.
The lobster buffet was soo good, but I think the combination of that and a day or Dos Equis left me hurting the next day.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 3:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold SPG Gold National Executive Avis Preferred Hertz Gold
Thank you very much

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.