Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St Regis Punta Mita Resort, Mexico [Master Thread]

Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisdeaner
Expert Review (posted in Luxury Forum) from Jan 2018 from Villa stay:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...encounter-2352

Restrictions on the Acceptance of US Currency

Due to recent local regulations, the acceptance of US Dollars in cash is now restricted across Mexico. Payments with credit/debit cards remain unaffected. Please provide arrangements to settle your accounts and other expenses with a credit card or in Mexican Pesos. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause our guests.
FYI - the hotel also can't exchange USD<>MXN but they do have an ATM near the lobby (downstairs by the meeting rooms) that dispenses Pesos.
Print Wikipost

St Regis Punta Mita Resort, Mexico [Master Thread]

Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
In Asia, it's not uncommon for hotels to have mandatory, expensive New Year's Eve dinners for guests who are there that night. Does this happen in the western hemisphere?
I would be very surprised to see that at the St. Regis, and in general I'm not familiar with this practice.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Safti
How do you find information on how to rent one of the private residences in Punta Mita. I stayed at the Four Seasons in Punta Mita and it went above and beyond what would be expected.
Any of the well known booking sites (Airbnb, Luxury Retreats, Vrbo, etc). have numerous private residence offerings. With most residences you get a chef/housekeeper, golf cart for local transportation, and access to all the beach clubs within the Punta Mita complex. This includes the St Regis Beach Club (the pool by Mita Mary Boat). If a non hotel guest staying at a Punta Mita private residence with membership, using the St Regis Beach Club you have a minimum spend of [I think] $65 per person. The others like Kupuri and Sufi are free and you can order food/beverages if desired. Many private villas, of course, also have their own private pool.

It really comes down to your preference of vacation style, however. A couple weeks ago someone was telling me they went to Cabo. They weren't thrilled with the food/pricing at the resort they stayed (Auberge). But they were opposed to eating off property due to concerns about safety. Someone with this mindset will be far better off at the St Regis. But I can't go to Punta Mita without driving up to Sayulita for street tacos (Ivans) and churros (just find the cart by the hippie market). I prefer dinners in the village to at the St Regis. Although I do enjoy the tacos from the Mita Mary for lunch when lounging by the pool.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by mrfussion
Although I do enjoy the tacos from the Mita Mary for lunch when lounging by the pool.

IMO Mita Mary is the only place worth eating dinner at as well. I highly suggest booking dinner there timed for sunset, it's really quite magical.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 6:04 pm

After two stays at the St Regis we have never made it off-site to eat. No concerns, simply that on a 5 night beach holiday we like to be very lazy and enjoy wandering to and from dinner from our room. We have found enough variation at the hotel to make this decent enough, if not amazing (we did really like Carolina actually). I also like that taxes and tip are included in the bills, water is free, and i even get (or did, maybe this was SPG) a 15% discount on the bill.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by MaxFlying
After two stays at the St Regis we have never made it off-site to eat. No concerns, simply that on a 5 night beach holiday we like to be very lazy and enjoy wandering to and from dinner from our room. We have found enough variation at the hotel to make this decent enough, if not amazing (we did really like Carolina actually). I also like that taxes and tip are included in the bills, water is free, and i even get (or did, maybe this was SPG) a 15% discount on the bill.

1) You are seriously missing out on some great restaurants that are a 5 minute drive away. With black car taxis waiting outside the hotel and the restaurants, they could not make it easier. The food is better and in many cases less expensive than on property, and it's all still catered to tourists (english menus, ice/water is all safe, etc).

2) Re: tipping at the St. Regis. I was curious exactly how this works and so I asked about it. The 10% automatic service fee gets split between all service staff on the resort (gardeners, housekeeping, etc), so it does not end up being a standard restaurant tip to your wait staff, but much less.

When you add a tip to your bill over and above the service fee, it gets pooled and split only between the folks at the particular place you are (so on the beach, the beach staff split that, at Carolina those staff split it, etc). Most guests, according to staff I spoke with, leave a tip in addition to the 10% service fee (and tip housekeeping and others as is customary), and those tips are the primary source of income for many of the people who work there. The hotel only pays minimum wage (under 5 USD per day) but many people take the long shuttle ride up from PV to work there because the tips are good enough that they can provide for their families and live a good life.

So it's important to know that most hotels guests do tip (beyond the service charge), as is customary (and especially at luxury hotels) and the tipping is both expected and greatly appreciated by the staff, even though they are not allowed to tell you that outright. What's nice is that if you want to be cashless, you can still always add a tip to the bill. The only people you'll need cash for tipping are housekeeping, butlers and bellhop, and those people can all be tipped from cash you keep in your in-room safe, so it's all kept very easy.
Minnie Sota likes this.

Last edited by jdrtravel; Jul 15, 2019 at 8:27 am
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: Marriott LT-TE, United Gold
Just got back from a wonderful 6 night stay at the St. Regis Punta Mita and we're already planning our return trip Nothing major to add over what's been posted recently but a few highlights/tips:
  • The breakfast buffet is amazing and I'm always thankful for the Platinum/Titanium (not sure where it starts with the new Marriott structure) benefit for free breakfast. It's especially worth it here as the buffet is ~$45 USD for adults and half for kids. Don't forget to go outside for the amazing tacos (yes I had tacos for breakfast every day ) and daily Mexican breakfast specials (and waffles)
  • The hotel doesn't charge for food/drinks under 5. I never got the official word on what is/isn't included but they never charged us for a food or drink item we ordered for our 2yo, including things we split with her and our 6yo. This was the case at every restaurant and for every pool or beachside order we made.
  • Most food orders had a 10% SPG loyalty discount
  • The two employees running the kids club (Yasmin and Dennys) were amazing with our 6yo - she loved going to the activities!
  • The revised menu at the Altamira restaurant (in the lobby where check-in is handled) is very good. It's now more authentic Mexican versus Spanish tapas. The Al Pastor tacos for 2 were amazing, can't recommend them enough.
  • I'm not sure if this is an on-going thing but the Friday night evening ritual (with the champagne sabering) was followed by 2 for 1 al pastor tacos (same ones we had for dinner the night before which we were 100% ok with ) and 2 for 1 weekly and monthly special cocktails. They also did 2 for 1 champagne prior to the sabering. If you're going to eat dinner at Alta Mira on Friday night I'd recommend going before or at least 45min after the sabering (7pm) since it was very crowded and the food we ordered for our kids came out much slower due to the additional people.
  • All bars have 2 for 1 Mexican Beers, champagne and classic margaritas from 5-6pm each evening. It's advertised in very small print on the daily events flyer that gets delivered each morning but all the waitstaff were aware of it and promoted it to us.
  • The daily 2pm cooking or cocktail classes at the Sea Breeze bar were fun and informative - definitely recommend. One of our favorites was the surprise cocktail class on Friday where we learned how to make a Paloma and only wish we had known about it sooner!
  • Someone mentioned that the catch of the day ritual (I believe it was on Thursday) wasn't very good. We though it was really fun - they had a small catch with 2 snappers (one was pretty big!) and 2 jacks but they gave us an overview of both kinds of fish and the chef made an amazing ceviche and grilled versions of the Jack (served on chips) that we loved. We also ordered grilled fish tacos from the snapper that we had beachside for lunch that were awesome!
  • We had no service issues (besides the delayed food after the sabering mentioned above, which they didn't charge us for) whatsoever - everything we ordered, including room service came extremely fast and everything we ate and drank was amazing.
Not directly related to the property but if you book a car in town at the National Car Rental, don't book something for the same day. They bring cars from Puerto Vallarta up each morning depending on what reservations they have that day. We made a reservation around 10am for a 2pm pickup and they had to call to have the car brought up which took about an hour. If you do get stuck (including waiting to drop off if you go around lunchtime...) walk up the hill you drove down to get there to the taco stand at the top of the hill (right outside a little market and on the same block as the larger market). The tacos and ceviche are unreal and way less pricey than anything on the touristy block where National is.

Lastly the reason for the car rental was we went to Sayulita for the day. The driver that took me into town to pick up the rental recommended Si Senor there as he said the food is always good but they have an amazing view of the whole town and of the sunset. It's a chain and bills itself as being higher end so the prices are higher than you'd pay at some other spots (dinner for 2 adults and 2 kids with a few beers for the adults was ~$100 including the guacamole prepared tableside) but he was right, the food was excellent and the views from the little patio directly over the ocean were phenomenal. We ate early so didn't get to see the sunset but I'm sure it would be a great place to watch from. It's also away from the main beach area so much calmer and easier to enjoy the food and surroundings.

Lastly I wasn't able to find a property map online before we left. Here is the front and back of the one we were given as a reference. I'll upload it directly as a separate post.
dgreen12 and Minnie Sota like this.

Last edited by chrisdeaner; Jul 15, 2019 at 1:51 pm
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: Marriott LT-TE, United Gold
St Regis Punta Mita Property Map

Here's the property map I linked to above as a direct attachment. This was from July 2019 but as a data point very little changed since we last visited in 2011

St. Regis Punta Mita property map from July 2019
dgreen12, bhrubin and Minnie Sota like this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:14 am

We just spent 5 nights with points as a lowly Marriott Gold there. Overall it was a very good stay. I am going to add some points below that may be of interest to others. We had stayed before about 4 years ago and as has been mentioned above little has changed & this is not a bad thing at all. We were a party of five (wife, three daughters 10,7,7). We stayed in one room with two queen beds. No issues at all from the staff about the additional person. We got room 1602. 4 years we got the exact same room, however, as it was overlooking construction of a golf course at the time, we asked to switch rooms. This time this was not an issue and we stayed put. The ground floor rooms tend to have more insects. We had everything in our room including a small crab and a gecko. It does not bother us but something to keep in mind.

-
  • We did get the 10% SPG discount on most orders. A couple of times it was forgotten and I forgot to ask about it at the time as well.
  • Pool happy hour is currently from 3-4 PM. It is BOGO. I only realized this when I ordered a Pacifico during happy hours and the waiter came with two.
  • One of my daughters has special needs and the wait staff had zero issues bringing a cup of ice.
  • Mita Mary is in my opinion the only restaurant worth having dinner at. However, I have not been to Carolina.
  • We rented a car from Alamo and included the third party liability insurance. No issues / sales push at the counter to buy anything else which I much appreciated. The drive to and from PVR to the St Regis is easy and safe.
  • We had dinner at Sufi as well, which is fine, however, nearly every person from the resort ate there as well. The resort does not use golf carts anymore for transportation. We had to take the black taxi for 150 Pesos each way.
  • As Golds we had to pay for breakfast. The prices have doubled from four years ago. The adult buffet is now USD $40+. A la carte items are about 350-400 Pesos. Kids items about 200 Pesos.
  • We enjoyed dinner the most at Tuna Blanca. This particular dinner was perceived as best in food quality and coincidentally was least in cost.
  • Si Senor was liked least. It is a very produced Mexican experience. Food-wise it is perfectly fine, just so over the top, in your face.
  • We drove to Sayulita and enjoyed it a lot. Tons of small restaurants. I forgot where we ate but it was very good. I recommend it, if you want to get out of the resort and experience something else but the same 4-5 restaurants that everyone else is going to as well. It was a little challenging to discern exactly where to get off from highway 200 to enter the actual village. I recommend arriving during day light as signage is not great.
  • I booked the Island Paradise tour for USD $129 each for my oldest daughter and I. I did this by myself four years ago and got to go to the 'secret' Marieta beach then. It is not so secret anymore and apparently the Mexican gov't put the lid on it. To my surprise the tour did not take as there this time. So if this is what you are expecting, be sure to ask in advance what it takes to get there. The guide's responses on the boat were nebulous. It seemed to be still open to the public but required special passes, a private tour, a big tip, who knows?
  • The butlers do bring coffee (and refills) every morning for free to the room. Not everyone in the resort knew about which is why I am adding it here.
  • The water in all pools are bath water warm in July. My guess is 93-94 degrees, not hot tub like but not too far off from that either, unfortunately.
  • Bring mosquito spray, if you are prone to be bitten. The hotel does provide a bottle, but I prefer spray with deed in it as it seems to work the best. We all got bitten more than once times. If I were to go again, I'd bring a bottle and spray the outside areas of our patio doors and entry doors. It is not terrible at all, just the nature of the beast.
  • Because one of my daughters has special dietary needs, we emptied the mini bar with a note to not restock it. This was not an issue.
Overall everyone enjoyed their stay and I highly recommend the St. Regis Punta Mita.

Last edited by michaelr; Aug 17, 2019 at 8:24 am
Old Aug 19, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Does anyone know what the SNA options are at the ST. Regis Punta Mita? Looking first week or second week of December on a points stay
Old Aug 19, 2019, 12:54 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by PrivatePilotDR40
Does anyone know what the SNA options are at the ST. Regis Punta Mita? Looking first week or second week of December on a points stay
Do a dummy booking and then you can see for yourself!

Or you can ask your Ambassador for the most current list.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVPG 75K, National Executive Elite
SNA options

The beachfront villas with hot tub and plunge pool were available as options there when we stayed in Feb 2019.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Do a dummy booking and then you can see for yourself!

Or you can ask your Ambassador for the most current list.
I suppose I can do the latter and see what she comes back with, will update here once received
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire, Langham Voyager
Managed to get a 5 night booking for USD$1235.00 including taxes and service charges later this year, thanks to the Citi Prestige 4th night free benefit. I am thrilled, and frankly shocked to find a rate that low at this resort. After several great trips in the past, this will be a nice return. Now if only the SNA's will clear for a beachfront whirlpool villa...
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:11 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ORDAAFlyer296
Managed to get a 5 night booking for USD$1235.00 including taxes and service charges later this year, thanks to the Citi Prestige 4th night free benefit. I am thrilled, and frankly shocked to find a rate that low at this resort. After several great trips in the past, this will be a nice return. Now if only the SNA's will clear for a beachfront whirlpool villa...
That’s a fabulous rate, indeed! Now don’t go looking that gift horse in the mouth, though I know the beachfront villa is amazing. To be honest, even entry level rooms here are big and very comfortable, and any suite upgrade is really great. The villa is just too good to be true as an SNA option, but good luck!

No matter what, you know you’re in for an amazing stay.
ORDAAFlyer296 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire, Langham Voyager
Yes I know even the base rooms are fantastic, though I figure if I'm lucky once maybe I'll get lucky twice
bhrubin likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.