Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St Regis Punta Mita Resort, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisdeaner
Expert Review (posted in Luxury Forum) from Jan 2018 from Villa stay:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...encounter-2352

Restrictions on the Acceptance of US Currency

Due to recent local regulations, the acceptance of US Dollars in cash is now restricted across Mexico. Payments with credit/debit cards remain unaffected. Please provide arrangements to settle your accounts and other expenses with a credit card or in Mexican Pesos. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause our guests.
FYI - the hotel also can't exchange USD<>MXN but they do have an ATM near the lobby (downstairs by the meeting rooms) that dispenses Pesos.
Print Wikipost

St Regis Punta Mita Resort, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVPG 75K, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MaxFlying
I liked Carolina. I didn't think it was trying to be high end, nor was it. Just a decent hotel restaurant at a decent price with a nice setting. No, its not Michelin star but not that price band. We are back next week and will likely eat there twice and have all other dinners somewhere in the hotel. I just find this a perfect place to relax. When I want really high-end food I go to France, Spain or London.
The best resturant in the neighborhood is probably the DOS CATRINAS at the neighbouring FS. It's new, and has a great Mexican menu that is well executed. Our butler (thanks to the SNA upgrade) was able to get us reservations without any trouble. Would highly recommend the duck mole on their menu.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I liked Carolina. I didn't think it was trying to be high end, nor was it. Just a decent hotel restaurant at a decent price with a nice setting.
Huh? They website describes Carolina as: "Exquisite in every detail....Honored with the prestigious AAA Five Diamond Award.... A continually evolving menu reflects rich culinary heritage, Mexican gastronomic traditions, and the unique flavors of the Riviera Nayarit." The hotel calls it their "fine dinning" option when I've asked about it. And it very much was when it first opened.

It is absolutely trying to be high end, and IMO failing at it.

No, its not Michelin star but not that price band. When I want really high-end food I go to France, Spain or London.
Well, Mexico has some of the best restaurants in the world in Mexico City. Michelin does not rate any cities in Mexico, so we can't compare on those grounds. However, the price point of Carolina is in the same general range as places like Pujol and Quitonil, which are Mexico City restaurants rated among the best restaurants in the world (and Quitonil really deserves that IMO). Paying 1500-2000 pesos for per person, not including drinks, is among the most expensive dining available in Mexico.

Also, IMO, some of the best food in the world is in California.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by mad07
anyone have an email to their concierge vs. the general corporate site? I'm looking into a trip there in April and had some questions about surfing..

bhrubin?

thanks!
I might be able to help you with surfing questions. I've been to the area a few times and surfed each trip. I stayed at the St Regis once, but did not surf the break out front (it was really small). I like the break in front of condos just inside the gates when it's breaking for a longboard spot. Long, fun rides with a mellow vibe. The Cove and La Lancha are also fun. What are you looking to find out?
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Huh? They website describes Carolina as: "Exquisite in every detail....Honored with the prestigious AAA Five Diamond Award.... A continually evolving menu reflects rich culinary heritage, Mexican gastronomic traditions, and the unique flavors of the Riviera Nayarit." The hotel calls it their "fine dinning" option when I've asked about it. And it very much was when it first opened.

It is absolutely trying to be high end, and IMO failing at it.

Well, Mexico has some of the best restaurants in the world in Mexico City. Michelin does not rate any cities in Mexico, so we can't compare on those grounds. However, the price point of Carolina is in the same general range as places like Pujol and Quitonil, which are Mexico City restaurants rated among the best restaurants in the world (and Quitonil really deserves that IMO). Paying 1500-2000 pesos for per person, not including drinks, is among the most expensive dining available in Mexico.

Also, IMO, some of the best food in the world is in California.
Is Carolina in the same price band as French Laundry or Atelier Crenn (who I rate very highly)? I don't remember what I paid at Carolina but recall it, even with decent wine, being reasonable. I don't disagree re Mexico CIty which has outstanding food, I retain a soft spot for Dulce Patria.
I just don't think Carolina is failing, will report back next week
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:28 pm

Is Carolina in the same price band as French Laundry or Atelier Crenn (who I rate very highly)?
Well, they are operating in entirely different economies and currencies, so you are not comparing apples. There is probably some way to compare the cost of each meal in their particular context, but that's more than I'm going to figure out right now. They are all expensive in the context of their respective locations.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:44 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by mrfussion
I might be able to help you with surfing questions. I've been to the area a few times and surfed each trip. I stayed at the St Regis once, but did not surf the break out front (it was really small). I like the break in front of condos just inside the gates when it's breaking for a longboard spot. Long, fun rides with a mellow vibe. The Cove and La Lancha are also fun. What are you looking to find out?
amazing! i heard there's actually some good breaks in front of the W hotel? also, any good surf companies that can do trips out to different breaks?
Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by mad07
amazing! i heard there's actually some good breaks in front of the W hotel? also, any good surf companies that can do trips out to different breaks?
Accion is my preferred shop and if they don't have a board you like walk next door to Tranquilo. Tranquilo is good, but a bit less flexible/accommodating in my opinion. Both shops are right next to each other in the village. There are a few others, but these two I can report a positive experience. Both also have boats to hire. However, if you are staying at the W you may be better of renting from WildMex. I've never used this shop. but know of it as I've parked in front to hike to La Lancha. I have not stayed at W and consequently have not surfed the breaks nearby, but do know there are at least two (Punta Burros and Veneros). They have a similar exposure to La Lancha, which picks up swell when other spots are flat. If staying at the W they may be your best bet, but again I have no firsthand knowledge of these two.

My advice my not be applicable if staying at the W as you may have closer options. But, if staying at the St Regis I'd summarize as follows: if you are an intermediate or better surfer and shortboard, The Cove is where you want to surf. The Cove can be accessed hiring a boat or the Punta Mita resort shuttle will drop you off. If you are a beginner and/or just want to have fun on a longboard (and there is swell), El Anclote is the place to be. Park in the village and it's just in front of the condos inside the gates. If waves are small, go to La Lancha. Boat is the best way to get to La Lancha, but it's about a 10 minute walk in from the street if you don't want to hire a boat.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by mrfussion
Accion is my preferred shop and if they don't have a board you like walk next door to Tranquilo. Tranquilo is good, but a bit less flexible/accommodating in my opinion. Both shops are right next to each other in the village. There are a few others, but these two I can report a positive experience. Both also have boats to hire. However, if you are staying at the W you may be better of renting from WildMex. I've never used this shop. but know of it as I've parked in front to hike to La Lancha. I have not stayed at W and consequently have not surfed the breaks nearby, but do know there are at least two (Punta Burros and Veneros). They have a similar exposure to La Lancha, which picks up swell when other spots are flat. If staying at the W they may be your best bet, but again I have no firsthand knowledge of these two.

My advice my not be applicable if staying at the W as you may have closer options. But, if staying at the St Regis I'd summarize as follows: if you are an intermediate or better surfer and shortboard, The Cove is where you want to surf. The Cove can be accessed hiring a boat or the Punta Mita resort shuttle will drop you off. If you are a beginner and/or just want to have fun on a longboard (and there is swell), El Anclote is the place to be. Park in the village and it's just in front of the condos inside the gates. If waves are small, go to La Lancha. Boat is the best way to get to La Lancha, but it's about a 10 minute walk in from the street if you don't want to hire a boat.
this is so helpful - thanks!

how are the waves in early april?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by boolean64
Did a quick search of this thread and didn't see anything...has anyone used a babysitter at this property? Did you go through the concierge or find a reputable sitter/nanny service on the interwebs? Definitely want one or two adult nights while we are there.

Thanks in advance.
If you contact the concierge in advance, they'll set you up with a nanny at $20/hr paid directly to the nanny (that's for one child - I think the price is a little higher for two). We did it for one night on a recent stay, and the woman who came was fantastic. She said that she works a lot at both the St Regis and the FS.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Platium. Hyatt Globlist. United Member. WN A-list w/CP. Frontier Elite 100K.
I had a lovely stay at St. Regis Punta Mita--3 points

1. I used Transfers in Punta Mita and Puerto Vallarta, Mexico | Punta Mita Transfers very good they where waiting for us at the airport with a sign with our name. Very nice, New Large SUVs. Cost $90 or $100 total (not person) to go to St Regis from PVR, an extra $20 to stop at the market. St Regis last time I checked was $100 per person. We had beers and cold water waiting for us. The owner name is Salvador Arias he can be reach at [email protected] He was always good about answer emails--I hate when people do not answer my emails. 5% surcharge for credit card use. Very Very Good. They also arrived early which is great for Mexico.

2. We also rented a golf cart for a day -- kids love it--but it costs too much $70 or $75 per day plus $15 insurance rented from Mita Carts very bad about answer emails--they just dropped the cart off or maybe it was already at the St. Regis. hotel had me sign a receipt but I have not gotten a bill or email from them.

3. We had a great dinner at Sufi--however that was only place I used this Chase card in Mexico in two days later I had fraud on the card in Mexico for $2.90 USD. My receipt said I used chip on my card -- I do not remember but I think the waiter may have swift the card first. If you go there make sure you use the chip and do not give your card to the waiter to put in the machine. Sufi is a great restaurateur and one should still go, but this Mexico and always be on the look out.

Last edited by MileHighColorado; Mar 25, 2019 at 4:09 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Fraud on the card for less than 3 dollars? I doubt seriously that someone who has your card info will take the time to charge something that small.... usually it is in the $1000's. My bet it is some sort of surcharge from the restaurant.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by david55
Fraud on the card for less than 3 dollars? I doubt seriously that someone who has your card info will take the time to charge something that small.... usually it is in the $1000's. My bet it is some sort of surcharge from the restaurant.
It happened to me. When my Citibank Prestige card number was stolen, there were a couple of charges for just under USD $2 from the German National Railway in Berlin. Citibank security told me that the thieves typically put through a couple of very small charges to see if they have the numbers right and if the charges will be approved. Once those small charge go through successfully, then they start putting through larger charges. In my case, the larger charges were for between USD $195 and $200 each. They got a half dozen through before I saw them.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Platium. Hyatt Globlist. United Member. WN A-list w/CP. Frontier Elite 100K.
Yes it was test fraud charge at Fast Food restaurant in Mexico that I nor Chase could say where in Mexico. I have had this also happen before--a small charge first before the big fraud chargers.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by MileHighColorado
1. I used Transfers in Punta Mita and Puerto Vallarta, Mexico Punta Mita Transfers very good they where waiting for us at the airport with a sign with our name. Very nice, New Large SUVs. Cost $90 or $100 total (not person) to go to St Regis from PVR, an extra $20 to stop at the market. St Regis last time I checked was $100 per person. t.
St. Regis has never charged per person in the 5 years we have been going there. They charge about the same, and they don't charge extra to stop at the market.
SeeTheLights and bhrubin like this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:32 am

I'm booked in this property next month and selected the "1 Bedroom Villa, 1 King, Beach Front, Whirlpool, Plunge Pool" for my SNA selection (only room I selected). I see there is one report of being upgraded to an "Ocean Villa" but has anyone had any luck with SNAs clearing to the 3 or 4 beach front villas with a plunge pool?

Currently Marriott's site is showing "only 3 remaining" for this room category for my dates. I know the inventory on the site might not always match what they actually have available but just a data point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.