Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St Regis Punta Mita Resort, Mexico [Master Thread]

Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisdeaner
Expert Review (posted in Luxury Forum) from Jan 2018 from Villa stay:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...encounter-2352

Restrictions on the Acceptance of US Currency

Due to recent local regulations, the acceptance of US Dollars in cash is now restricted across Mexico. Payments with credit/debit cards remain unaffected. Please provide arrangements to settle your accounts and other expenses with a credit card or in Mexican Pesos. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause our guests.
FYI - the hotel also can't exchange USD<>MXN but they do have an ATM near the lobby (downstairs by the meeting rooms) that dispenses Pesos.
Print Wikipost

St Regis Punta Mita Resort, Mexico [Master Thread]

Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by zakami
I just completed a 5 night stay and will say my opinion differs from a lot of previous posters; mostly because I believe I represent a non-American view. While we were there, the vast majority of the guests were American. I cannot believe how much Americans tip! I saw someone pass on a $100 bill to one of the staff by the beach. Anyway, we had 2 kids of tow, so opinions are based on that as well. There is no charge for food for kids below 5 from the kids menu. We were upgraded to a villa due to Platinum Premier status (SNAs did not go through, so a bit last minute I expect).

As the previous poster mentioned, the only worthwhile restaurant at the hotel is Punta Mary. I don't know why the Marietas focuses on dry paninis and could perhaps include some local Mexican comfort food - fajitas, tacos, tortas, etc. I agree with the previous poster's advise to get away from the hotel in the evenings.

My recommendation is to Uber from the airport; it is so easy to walk a few more feet and message the driver to come to the airport side of the road rather than across the pedestrian bridge. There is a National location in Punta de Mita and it costs only about MXN 850 inclusive of the mandatory Third Party Liability to rent a full-size car per day, which you could and return to the airport. It costs MXN 150 to/from the St. Regis to the town (quite reasonable for suburbans).

The service in the hotel is sub-standard overall. In my opinion this resort caters to Americans, especially those from Southern California who likely have not experienced the best in Asia, Africa, Americas or even parts or Europe. But then its a 3 hour flight away versus 12+, so I get it as well why people would choose this location. I had a brief exchange with two couples from Los Angeles and I cannot believe how ignorant they were of anything outside the US (including Mexico and even its currency), though not certain if they represent the entire clientele at the hotel.

Our stay in general was above average, though I do not think we will return anytime soon. There are plenty of other (better) places to visit even though this is 3 hours away from our current home.

For the record, I am American, I have travelled all over the world, and I love this hotel. I tip when I am there even though I know I don't have to. The workers there are paid nearly nothing in wages, so they rely on tips. Yes, they share the automatic 10% service charge that is added to everything, but it's good to be generous in life, at least that's how I try to live. Americans are customized to tipping 20%. This is not a bad thing, it's just a cultural difference, and one that works out well for the hard workers at this property--good for them.

I also strongly dislike the type of American tourists that you describe, and know just how much they can totally take over a space.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by zakami
The service in the hotel is sub-standard overall. In my opinion this resort caters to [people] who likely have not experienced the best in Asia, Africa, Americas or even parts or Europe.
I stayed for five days over Thanksgiving weekend a couple of years ago and agree completely. IMO in terms of service, this hotel doesn't come close to, say, RC in Naples, Florida; Savoy in London, etc. The hard product, however, is very nice.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, IHG Platinum, National Executive
Going to hotel in 2 weeks for 3 night stay. Looking for more relaxation then activities. We booked massages and a pedicure for my partner at the spa. Was reading on some food options local. Im platinum premier. Any other recommended activities or ideas?
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by blackavar
Going to hotel in 2 weeks for 3 night stay. Looking for more relaxation then activities. We booked massages and a pedicure for my partner at the spa. Was reading on some food options local. Im platinum premier. Any other recommended activities or ideas?

For me, big thing for relaxing is to stay on the adult side of the resort, and to spend time at the adult pool & beach. If you want a low key activity, spend a few hours wandering around Sayulita.
Eagle_traveler likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:27 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
For me, big thing for relaxing is to stay on the adult side of the resort, and to spend time at the adult pool & beach.
^^^

One of the best and biggest and most serene adults-only pools at any luxury resort anywhere. Truly magnificent and always very relaxing.
Eagle_traveler likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by blackavar
One thing I highly recommend for people visiting Punta Mita is rent a golf cart for local transportation during your stay. St Regis will park and keep it charged for you. It may be cheaper to rent taxis or even a car, but neither capture the local spirit. I just returned from Punta Mita last week (rented a private residence after having stayed at the St Regis last year) and driving around to the various beach clubs, surf breaks, and into town is part of the charm.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by mrfussion
One thing I highly recommend for people visiting Punta Mita is rent a golf cart for local transportation during your stay. St Regis will park and keep it charged for you. It may be cheaper to rent taxis or even a car, but neither capture the local spirit. I just returned from Punta Mita last week (rented a private residence after having stayed at the St Regis last year) and driving around to the various beach clubs, surf breaks, and into town is part of the charm.

Would be really cool if the St Regis offered this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Would be really cool if the St Regis offered this.
... and pricey, too, no doubt.
karenkay and bhrubin like this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
... and pricey, too, no doubt.
Yes, but one does not stay at the St. Regis when one is looking for a bargain.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:17 am

Does St Regis still arrange SUV transportation from the PVR airport? I could not find the email for the concierge.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: Four Seasons PP, RW Elite, Dorchester Diamond, Virtuoso, PenClub, Priv, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Originally Posted by milemonkey
Does St Regis still arrange SUV transportation from the PVR airport? I could not find the email for the concierge.
Yes, the St. Regis Concierge can set up SUV transportation from the PVR airport. Here is the email address:

[email protected]

Have a great trip!
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:07 pm

Thanks but that email didn't go through
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:13 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by milemonkey
Thanks but that email didn't go through
All of the old SPG domain names have been changed. Try [email protected].

KristenNix likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:03 pm

Has anyone been to the property or the region in August? What was your experience with weather?
Old Jan 26, 2019, 10:38 pm

Has anyone been to the property or the region in August? What was your experience with weather?
I spent Labor Day weekend in Sayulita for a bachelor party a few years ago. It was hot and humid, but tolerable. Rain a couple nights, but partly cloudy during the day and fine to spend at the beach. Mosquitos were pretty bad (best strategy I've found over the years is keep your bedroom as cold as possible). Town is noticeably quieter in August/September versus the couple times I've since been back in January.
jdrtravel likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.