Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St Regis Punta Mita Resort, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisdeaner
Expert Review (posted in Luxury Forum) from Jan 2018 from Villa stay:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...encounter-2352

Restrictions on the Acceptance of US Currency

Due to recent local regulations, the acceptance of US Dollars in cash is now restricted across Mexico. Payments with credit/debit cards remain unaffected. Please provide arrangements to settle your accounts and other expenses with a credit card or in Mexican Pesos. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause our guests.
FYI - the hotel also can't exchange USD<>MXN but they do have an ATM near the lobby (downstairs by the meeting rooms) that dispenses Pesos.
Print Wikipost

St Regis Punta Mita Resort, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2022, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by david55
Look at Costco Vacations.....they are nearly a third of what the Marriott posted rates are.....and it includes transportation and a Costco gift card.

We got a rate of $1000 a night for an ocean view suite using Costco. ( Marriott $2700) When I contacted the hotel directly for a possible paid upgrade to ocean front....they offered it to me for $50 a night more. (A no brainer for us)
Ah, thanks for that reminder - nice score on that suite! I did manage to find some award space but I guess this means SNA's are probably useless here. Looks like even W Punta Mita is on Costco Vacations
Old Mar 20, 2022, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by bizum
Ah, thanks for that reminder - nice score on that suite! I did manage to find some award space but I guess this means SNA's are probably useless here. Looks like even W Punta Mita is on Costco Vacations
I’ve been upgraded to a 1 bedroom oceanfront villa using a SNA on an award stay about 3 years ago.
bizum likes this.
Old May 24, 2022, 10:27 pm

Programs: SWA
Booked for our first stay here in late June and just received the below today from the Butler Desk re upcoming major renovation

With the construction closed areas how much impact?...its a points stay so booked basic room hoping for an upgrade (Ambassador or SNA)

Looking for feedback from a regular or someone currently there.

Thanks!

Welcome to The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort.
You’re joining us at an exciting time! Following our tradition of innovation, the resort is undergoing a multi-million dollar renovation to offer our guests a stay that is more exquisite than anything they have experienced before.

As part of this highly anticipated project, we will be upgrading the pool experience, which means we need to close the Marietas Pool area and its adjoining spaces from May 24th to November 20th, 2022. Some construction noise will be experienced in this area between 8:00 am and 6:30 pm on weekdays, and between 8:00 am and 2:00 pm on Saturdays.

As we will begin to remodel the guest rooms surrounding the Marietas Pool, we intend to place our guests far from this area. With this in mind, please understand that this may reduce our ability to honor a specific room location or upgrade request. We are committed to making this process as seamless to our guests as possible.

During this time, our guests can enjoy a range of upgraded beach activities and amenities. We also invite you to explore the natural wonders of Punta Mita and the array of exquisite experiences that the destination has to offer throughout your stay. Please visit the Concierge Desk or contact your St. Regis Butler, who will be pleased to assist you.

Please note that we will make our best efforts to minimize disturbances and inconveniences. Facilities beyond the Marietas Pool area will not be affected, so guests can expect to enjoy the resort’s other facilities and amenities during their stay as we continue to uphold our commitment to exceptional luxury and personalized guest service.

We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause.

On behalf of all the hosts at The St. Regis Punta Mita, we wish you a pleasant stay.

Cordially,
Old May 25, 2022, 6:56 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

We have plans to stay in November. This email gives me pause and rethinking the stay. We chose the resort for quiet and relaxation. Despite their assurances ANY construction noise would ruin it for us. And if the main pool is closed that means the adult pool is now fair game to families and kids. Not what we were expecting. Thanks for the heads up..... we have not gotten this email yet.
Old May 25, 2022, 8:40 am

I know they had talked of a major renovation the last time we were there which was thanksgiving before the pandemic. Glad to see them following through. The rooms definitely felt long in the tooth. The property is spread out enough that if they are willing to restrict inventory sufficiently they can deliver on avoiding construction noise in occupied guest rooms. However, losing marietas pool is a big piece of the overall puzzle. Also, if memory serves, breakfast is served next to marietas pool. So expect breakfast to be relocated, if i had to guess it would be to somewhere like a large meeting room. In the grand scheme of things not a huge deal. But if you have flexibility, i'd go with another option or postpone.

I just really hope they don't touch mita mary's. One of my happy places in the world.
Old May 25, 2022, 11:01 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by boolean64
I know they had talked of a major renovation the last time we were there which was thanksgiving before the pandemic. Glad to see them following through. The rooms definitely felt long in the tooth. The property is spread out enough that if they are willing to restrict inventory sufficiently they can deliver on avoiding construction noise in occupied guest rooms. However, losing marietas pool is a big piece of the overall puzzle. Also, if memory serves, breakfast is served next to marietas pool. So expect breakfast to be relocated, if i had to guess it would be to somewhere like a large meeting room. In the grand scheme of things not a huge deal. But if you have flexibility, i'd go with another option or postpone.

I just really hope they don't touch mita mary's. One of my happy places in the world.
I generally agree with this post. We last stayed about a month before Covid. We absolutely loved the resort, but the rooms, at least, were in need an update. The resort is sprawled across a pretty large footprint for only having 120 rooms. If they do it right, they should be able to keep people away from construction. No way around the remaining pools being more crowded though ...
Old May 31, 2022, 8:18 am

Bump hoping someone has been in house the past week and can update impacts due to construction?
Old May 31, 2022, 11:47 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by boolean64
However, losing marietas pool is a big piece of the overall puzzle. Also, if memory serves, breakfast is served next to marietas pool. So expect breakfast to be relocated, if i had to guess it would be to somewhere like a large meeting room. In the grand scheme of things not a huge deal. But if you have flexibility, i'd go with another option or postpone.

Is Marietas pool the center pool?

When we've been there during the summer they have done breakfast at Sea Breeze, presumably because some people want to eat indoors with a/c. I imagine this could work.
Old May 31, 2022, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Is Marietas pool the center pool?

When we've been there during the summer they have done breakfast at Sea Breeze, presumably because some people want to eat indoors with a/c. I imagine this could work.
Yes Marietas is the middle pool. When we went last year breakfast was at Sea Breeze and was quite a nice setup. I actually think we never used the Marietas restaurant except I suppose for poolside service when at the pool.

That said, the area that would be closed due to a renovation here would be quite significant. I really loved this property but if I received that email I would move over to the 4S for this trip and/or return to StR once the reno is complete.
Old May 31, 2022, 10:46 pm

I stand corrected. I was thinking of Sea Breeze for breakfast. I thought the beach club was Marietas. Now that I have found a map this is annoying but not as much of a deal breaker as I was originally thinking...again, assuming they significantly restrict occupancy. If you can wait though, you should as you'd want to take advantage of the remodel! The 4S up the road is superior but that is very much reflected in the difference in cash rates and obviously no ability to use bonvoy points.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 3:36 pm

One more Bump looking for any up to date info from someone with a recent stay?

I did get these answers from AMB email

My Questions
  • reduced restaurant and other services?
  • occupancy restrictions to reduce crowding of remaining facilities?
  • upgraded activities?
  • noise?
  • adult pool still adult only?
  • in house discounts during this period?
  • room upgrade possibilities for status ?
  • Is the lobby also closed?
AMB Answers
  1. The hotel will continue to operate under normal conditions with a limited room inventory, with the exception of Marietas Restaurant and Pool, and the Altamira lobby area, which will be closed.
  2. We have occupancy restrictions...the hotel has a limited room inventory due to the renovation.
  3. The hotel provides a menu of weekly activities such as dance classes or activities in the beach (this menu updates weekly) away from all the noise due to the renovations.
  4. Due to the renovations are outside of our colleagues control it is expected loud noise in the hours the previous email established.
  5. Adults pool is still adult only and will be operating normally.
  6. By the moment they have no confirmation on In house discounts. However they're working on a plan for our guests benefits.
  7. Room upgrades are still a possibility but by the moment due to the limited room inventory the hotel have, it will be more difficult. However my colleagues would try their best to accommodate in the best room available.
  8. The lobby will be closed when the second part of the renovation starts on July 1st. So by the time of your stay the lobby will be open.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 7:19 pm

Just got back from a 4 night stay. Some thoughts, service was excellent, the butlers were very attentive and any request was granted almost immediately. Was upgraded from a garden view room to ocean view jr. suite (Platinum). The breakfast at Sea Breeze was great, didn't see much of a need to upgrade from the free continental to the buffet, the only real difference were some hot dishes and a quesadilla station. Although the quesadilla station looked very good with fresh made hand pressed tortillas. P2 had a very strict food allergy and the hotel was great for accommodating their needs.

The rooms were dated and all clearly needed some refreshing, our TV was hung crooked and it was kinda an eyesore to look at. The smoke detectors in the room were flashing a constant green light and we had to have maintenance come and put electrical tape over them. Wasn't an issue after night one, we noticed it when trying to sleep and it was too late to bother with. There were some gaps in the sliding doors which allowed bugs in.

Altamira was the best meal we had on property and it closed for maintenance or construction after the first night. Sea Breeze was just ok for dinner, Mita Mary's was good and a fantastic place to have a sunset dinner but I felt the portions were small and nothing really special given the price. Couldn't get a proper spicy margarita our entire stay from any bar despite P2 being a native Spanish speaker and explaining that we like them SPICY, always had to ask for more jalapeno or habenero. The rest of the cocktails we got were great for the most part. Our driver recommended Mina's in Punta Mita for dinner and we both loved it, was the best meal we had on the trip.

30% of the rooms were closed for maintenance along with Las Marietas and the whole pool area there. Construction during the day was quite noticeable if you were near that area but from most parts of the resort including the other pools and beach area you couldn't hear anything. They had closed down the lobby/reception area the day after we arrived as well so check out was done in a meeting room downstairs.

Overall we both enjoyed our stay and would go back, ideally when everything is finished and open.
bizum likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 9:07 am

Programs: Marriott, Hilton, DL, AC Gate Lice, WS, UA
Any guess as to when the renovations will be finished - sometime this year or next
Old Jul 22, 2022, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by YYCfasha
Any guess as to when the renovations will be finished - sometime this year or next
Hard to say honestly. I'd imagine they'd like to be finished by the winter high season but there was a LOT of work going on. If they plan to redo the whole resort and refresh the other 80 rooms, I can't imagine them being finished by the end of year. If it's just a rebuild for Las Marietas and that pool area along with a refresh on the 40 or so rooms they have closed it would seem doable.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 1:28 pm

See below for a review i posted in one of the FB groups...Stay date were 25-30 June (lobby was still open)...thought I also posted here but apparently not...my bad

************************************************** ************************************************** ********************************

In short…Outstanding experience…minor/medium renovation impacts but extremely well managed by the property…4.5 out of 5

As I posted last month, and many have posted in other threads, the St Regis Punta Mita has begun its long awaited and anticipated renovation this summer starting late May. The management has been quite forthcoming with notifications by sending out an email about one month prior to arrival. I received mine on 24 May for a 25 June check in. This was our first visit to this property.

In short…Airport pick up, arrival welcome, hard product, butlers, service, food etc all remain at the exquisite levels that have made this property a favorite. We booked basic room awards stay with points (320k) right before the great devalue and applied SNA request (for only the oceanview suite) which I was quite happy to have approved immediately at day 5! Our room was 1603, a second story Suite with a view of the Marietas islands and the famous outdoor shower (all we used). Ambassador recognition and welcome gift outstanding as usual for this property.

Renovation/Construction

At check in we were provided with an overview of the current Phase 1 construction showing the closed Marietas pool, restaurant and surrounding room areas (approx. 70 of the 120 rooms in use). The construction area had a fence and visual relief installed. Work hours were as published, between 8:00 am and 6:30 pm on weekdays, and between 8:00 am and 2:00 pm on Saturdays.

When we checked in on the 25th I estimate about 30 rooms occupied, down to 20 on Monday, then increasing to about 45 midweek…sounded like they were heading towards the 70 mark at few times later in July. As spread out as the property is, there were times we felt like we had the whole place to ourselves. We did have a chance to talk with the GM James Hughes at the Bonvoy reception on Wed and he was extremely engaging and eager to discuss the renovation and efforts to minimize impacts.

· Noise – Hammers, saws, and other equipment…impact varied based on work being accomplished, location, surf and wind. If you are on the beach directly in front of Marietas it was loud enough during calm wind and surf to ask to move south in front of the presidential suite (which was quickly obliged and from where we heard basically nothing). The adult pool and beach was also better, although some noise heard there at times. In the room we heard nothing, mainly do to being located in the 1000 rooms which are most removed from the construction area. Some of the closer rooms could be impacted a bit depending on time of the day, but no guests that I met mentioned it.

· Service – Marietas pool and restaurant closed. No impact to other pools or restaurants due to reduced occupancy. Breakfast was at Seabreeze. Mita Mary’s, Carolina and Altima schedules and service as normal. Personnel have been retained with most taking reduced days to compensate…seems they are intent on maintaining the people/experience.

· Plans – (trying to summarize what GM relayed)…Phase 1 complete by this T-giving to be ready for the holiday and spring hi season. The Lobby and Altamira were currently open but will be closed shortly for their work as part of Phase 1. Phase 2 is planned for next year’s slow season, same as this year…May to Nov 2023. It will include the rest of the property but not require complete shutdowns of areas as the pools will only receive small refreshes/changes (bar at the adult pool). Rooms will be blocked in sections to complete their renovations. Mita Mary’s will get a major makeover…same location and vibe, newer and bigger.

Overall, Wife and I had a great time and felt the construction had little impact on our stay…we would visit again during the renovation if our schedules dictated. I would offer that if you are looking for absolute quiet and as few distractions as possible you may/could be impacted. The management will do everything they can to accommodate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.