Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St Regis Punta Mita Resort, Mexico [Master Thread]

Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisdeaner
Expert Review (posted in Luxury Forum) from Jan 2018 from Villa stay:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...encounter-2352

Restrictions on the Acceptance of US Currency

Due to recent local regulations, the acceptance of US Dollars in cash is now restricted across Mexico. Payments with credit/debit cards remain unaffected. Please provide arrangements to settle your accounts and other expenses with a credit card or in Mexican Pesos. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause our guests.
FYI - the hotel also can't exchange USD<>MXN but they do have an ATM near the lobby (downstairs by the meeting rooms) that dispenses Pesos.
Print Wikipost

St Regis Punta Mita Resort, Mexico [Master Thread]

Old Feb 28, 2009, 5:33 pm

Programs: MileagePlus, Star Alliance, Starwood, Priority Club, Delta Skymiles
Wow, I just reserved St. Regis Punta Mita for this summer in June

FOR MY HONEYMOON

using points (Gold). I had not checked my flyertalk account in a long time. I am left with a sick feeling in my stomach. I am trying to talk myself into feeling better, because I will be staying there 6 months after all these problems. But, that is a big gamble. Has anyone stayed there in Febuary?
Old Mar 2, 2009, 7:42 am

Programs: LH Miles & More, SPG, AM, MX, UA, AA, CO, ICHotels
Hello cmatthews. We stayed there 10 days ago for our anniversary, for 5 nights. I frequently check tripadvisor for our travels, and had seen good comments, but hadn’t seen this thread before our trip as I am new on flyertalk. Maybe I wouldn’t have booked if I’d read this before, but I am glad we did go there, as we enjoyed it very much and didn’t experience any of the problems that mendycal or uapremier mentioned over Christmas. I guess the resort took the feedback seriously and figured it out, thanks for initiating that with your complaints. We had a lovely Ocean view room, especially enjoyed the balcony and the outdoor shower. For our anniversary we had dinner at their fine dining restaurant Carolina, and also enjoyed the champagne ritual for sunset, quite spectacular. The butler is a nice touch when it comes to the packing of your suitcase and the morning coffee, and the butler at the pool was fabolous, a part from the usual wet towel and sunblock service etc he spotted the whales for us. I also did try the spa, they have a variety of treatments and do open-air pedicure and manicure surrounded by water and vegetation. In general there were several families with kids and also couples (it was just after Valentine’s day), but they have three different pools (including one without kids) so it never felt croweded. It probably was quite busy for President's Day, but didn't seem to be sold out as it apparently was over christmas. The resort itself is definitely stunning.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 9:11 am

Programs: Delta
Honey Moon Trip Coming up

Hi,

My almost wife and I are planning our Honey moon for at the St Regis Punta Mita for 10 nights in mid-November. I'm hoping the start-up kinks will be worked out by then. Though, after reading the reviews on Flyertalk i'm a bit concerned.

What upgrades have *wood platinums received at the property? Have people upgraded their room with points?

What kinds of tours or sightseeing is available at the resort? sailing, trecks etc?

Thanks,
-jake
Old Mar 10, 2009, 10:15 pm

Can't comment on the upgrades, althoug my husband is SPG member we did stay paying a rate. For tours, they do have an on-site adventure company, Vallarta Adventures, and we did book an amazing whale watching trip through them. They also do ziplines, diving and sailing, and other adventure tours, plus, they have a sea lion coming to the beach there.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 10:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
Vallarta Adventures is located in Nuevo Vallarta and you could have saved around 20-25 percent-or more- booking the exact same trip directly yourselves.

Originally Posted by melaltopez
Can't comment on the upgrades, althoug my husband is SPG member we did stay paying a rate. For tours, they do have an on-site adventure company, Vallarta Adventures, and we did book an amazing whale watching trip through them. They also do ziplines, diving and sailing, and other adventure tours, plus, they have a sea lion coming to the beach there.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 8:09 am

well we got on the boat directly in Punta Mita, so saved the transfer and the time to Nuevo Vallarta back and forth.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 2:38 pm

Programs: MileagePlus, Star Alliance, Starwood, Priority Club, Delta Skymiles
Thank you for your reply -- Melaltopaz

I very much appreicate your reply and report to my post.
Thank you for taking the time to help me out.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 11:36 am

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
We’ve already booked stay this fall at the St Regis Punta Mita. I’m scared – it’s all confirmed, but now that I’ve seen the reviews here I’m second guessing our decision! (Interestingly, tripadvisor shows almost all positive reviews while flyertalk’s are much more negative – and much more detailed.)

A few questions for those of you who've been there:

- Service problems: Anyone had a recent stay there – and have any updated info about the service problems at this resort? (Hopefully they've learned something from their bad reviews!)
- Airport transportation: Can anyone advise (a) drive time to/from Puerto Vallarta airport and (b) the best way to make the trip without a rental car (i.e. taxi? car service arranged by St Regis?? other?)
- Beach: Any info or reviews on the beach/ocean at the resort? (Is there food/beverage service on the beach? Is it swimmable? Suitable for young kids?)
- Food: Any additional info on dining at the property? (Number of options? Availability of casual options? How expensive?)
- Time zone: Might sound like a dumb question given they're so close, but is Punta Mita in the same time zone as Puerto Vallarta? (I've seen two different answers on this!)

Thanks all. Will post a review upon my return.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/ 1MM, SPG Plat
Service Problems: Haven't stayed there since my post. No desire to go back. But I do believe that in my conversations with the GM that they did take the issues we mentioned seriously.
Airport Transportation: A solid HOUR from the airport. I'd just get a cab. Be sure you negotiate on and are clear about the rates. They rip you off from the airport, particularly if they suspect you're a rich tourist.
Beach- is great at the hotel. Very private and quiet. They also have lifeguards. They will bring you food/beverage at the beach if you like.
Food: There are 3 restaurants (i think) at the hotel. They are all nice and VERY overpriced. I suggest you go to the town nearby. There are several restaurants that the hotel recommends in the nearby town (just outside the compound) and all have excellent food and are literally a 1/10 of the price of the hotel restaurant.
Time Zone: Same time zone.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 10:46 pm

Service problems - hadn't had them
Airport transportation - we did opt for the more comfortable and easy alternative of arranging through the concierge, I didn't want to be on a cab for nearly an hour. Nice Navigators, plus there is somebody in the luggage area awaiting you.
Beach - absolutely agree with uapremier
Food - we tried all restaurants and did like them, especially Carolina is amazing. Make sure you be there for the champagne cocktail at the lobby bar, they have the butler opening a bottle of champagne with a sable and it's their guest cocktail, we met the GM there as well. Pizza and salads at the pool restaurant are amazing, as are the Margaritas!!
Old Jul 17, 2009, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold, United MP Premier, Alaska Air, BA, Qantas, ANZ
Originally Posted by uapremier
I suggest you go to the town nearby. There are several restaurants that the hotel recommends in the nearby town (just outside the compound) and all have excellent food and are literally a 1/10 of the price of the hotel restaurant.

How'd you get to those restaurants?
Old Sep 24, 2009, 10:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
Upgrade Potential?

Hi all,

I am currently holding a reservation for 6 nights over the Christmas holiday using points. My wife and I really want to stay here as we have heard great things from friends who all went at various times over the past few months. Everything was top-notch. Personally, I cant stand the idea of staying a 3rd rate Westin with its formica furniture, stained carpets and 1980's decor. (St. John, Grand Cayman, etc)

Anyway- we are travelling with our 2 year old son and was curious if anyone has had any luck upgrading (as a platinum) to a 1BR suite at this property? I know Xmas is probably thier busiest season but you never know. The economy still sucks and I dont know too many people spending >$1k a night on a hotel room these days.

Spending 6 nights in a room with my sons crib 25 feet away isnt ideal but I guess its the price I have to pay in order to avoid a suite that hasnt been upgraded since Reagan was in office.

Just looking to have my cake and eat it, too. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 8:49 pm

Perhaps it is worth using points to upgrade to a suite. I'm not sure if this is possible though.

Call SPG.

If the points are too much, I would email the hotel and see if they will offer you a "deal" to upgrade to a suite.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
Originally Posted by chuck1
Perhaps it is worth using points to upgrade to a suite. I'm not sure if this is possible though.

Call SPG.

If the points are too much, I would email the hotel and see if they will offer you a "deal" to upgrade to a suite.
I asked about a suite and they told me 60k a night, so that wasnt happening. I like your suggestion and will definitely send off an email. Thanks.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 12:24 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Any recent reports of this property? Am deciding between this and the Four Seasons, and this one is pricing out a bit cheaper.

We will be with our 21-month-old, so we would not be using the adult pool.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.