Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Surfers Paradise Marriott, Australia [Master Thread]

Surfers Paradise Marriott, Australia [Master Thread]

Old Jul 22, 2009, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Marriott Platinum; Delta Flying Colonel
The Surfers Paradise Marriott has a new CL. When I have stayed there in the past as a Plat, there was a free breakfast buffet included.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 8:26 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Resort ?'s - Marriott Surfer's Paradise, Australia

There are some conflicting reports about whether this property does anything for Platinum members. On this board, there has been some discussion that cont breakfast coupons had been given--tripadvisor reports differently--nodda, no upgrade, the spiel given about how resort properties don't participate in perks, blah, blah, blah.

This will be our first trip out of the country with me as a Platinum (Nov 09). We'll enjoy perks at the Marriott Brisbane and Marriott Sydney Circular Quay, so I'm just going to expect nothing other than a nice property at the Surfer's Paradise Resort, and if we get breakfast, awesome. I am pretty sure that access to the executive lounge, aka "Elandra Retreat," is something like $84 per night (much like Cancun), regardless of what kind of card you are holding and my husband doesn't drink, so we can't even factor in the savings in alcohol (in those type of lounges). Sometimes a couple glasses of really nice red wine or champagne...a few beers here and there--depending on what country you are in (i.e., London, Rome, and Budapest come to mind--very pricey), that might not be a bad trade off (to pay for access). Fortunately, it was never an issue because they were not Marriott Resort properties!

I understand access to the sauna/steam room is $15 per day.

Will that be waived, or should I expect that being a Platinum gets me a cup of coffee with $3.50 like everyone else staying at the property?

Obviously not a deal breaker....but this is the one thing that really does irk me as it relates to the difference between Hilton and Marriott properties. But I know I just need to get used to the idea that, for the most part, I just need to realize that those Marriott's don't acknowledge status at all and just remember that I am adding nights toward my status for next year!

If I get cont breakfast, I'll consider it a very lucky break! But I am curious about entrance into the sauna area--I've never seen that discussed on Marriott before (I am sure it has...I just never saw it). When Hilton charges for gym/sauna access, Gold/Diamonds (maybe even silver, not sure), it is always waived. But I realize I'm not in a Hilton property.

Any info would be appreciated. Please don't provide me with links to previous threads on this property--I've read them and none of them discuss access to the sauna and whether that is wavied for Plat members. Heck, a few of those posters didn't even realize there was a club lounge (maybe it's new, but I'm just saying that they were either lacking in information or the information is not current).

Thanks.

Dawn
Old Aug 28, 2009, 8:52 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Unfortunately, I have never stayed at the Surfer's Paradise, but maybe one of these days I'll get the chance. So hopefully, someone who has stayed there can chime in.

What I will suggest though is for you to call MR and get the GM's email address. Once you get that, send the GM a nice email detailing how much you are looking forward to visiting. Let the GM know if this trip is a special trip (i.e. anniversary, birthday, etc.) or has some special meaning. I'm sure you can come up with something. Once you've butter the GM up a bit with how great the hotel, city, and country is, then you can ask about what does the hotel provide for Plat elites staying there. And you can let the GM know that while suite upgrades and daily breakfast aren't guaranteed, if there is anything that can be done to help your stay be more memorable, you would appreciate it. Thank the GM for taking the time to read the letter and if possible, during your stay you would like the chance to meet her/him personally to say thanks.

I have found that when I do this, especially for Resort locations, I have received very nice upgrades, extra perks, etc. It can't hurt to try.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 9:17 am

Good suggestion....

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Unfortunately, I have never stayed at the Surfer's Paradise, but maybe one of these days I'll get the chance. So hopefully, someone who has stayed there can chime in.

What I will suggest though is for you to call MR and get the GM's email address. Once you get that, send the GM a nice email detailing how much you are looking forward to visiting. Let the GM know if this trip is a special trip (i.e. anniversary, birthday, etc.) or has some special meaning. I'm sure you can come up with something. Once you've butter the GM up a bit with how great the hotel, city, and country is, then you can ask about what does the hotel provide for Plat elites staying there. And you can let the GM know that while suite upgrades and daily breakfast aren't guaranteed, if there is anything that can be done to help your stay be more memorable, you would appreciate it. Thank the GM for taking the time to read the letter and if possible, during your stay you would like the chance to meet her/him personally to say thanks.

I have found that when I do this, especially for Resort locations, I have received very nice upgrades, extra perks, etc. It can't hurt to try.

Thanks for the suggestion, although I did not know that MR gave out emails for the GM's! Seriously. Good to know.

We are going to Australia for our 18th wedding anniversary. We always travel late Oct early Nov to celebrate our anniversary and have for, well, 17 years! We find it is a great time to travel to a lot of other countries. The other time we take two weeks is in February when it is my husband's birthday/Valentine's Day and we used to get two state holidays but at least we still get one in the mix!

I've really never been one to do that too much (email prior to trip), unless it was a place that we have been to multiple times. Although I did email a property in Barbados to see if I could get hubby a balcony large enough for a lounger--not just a small chair.

Thanks.

Dawn
Old Dec 9, 2009, 3:50 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Hi all,

Plat here on a reward stay at this resort in a few weeks. Does anyone know if there have been any changes at this resort since 2008? (I've read a few of the other threads on the resort and none seem that up-to-date).

Also, does anyone have any experience of the Elandra Club (i.e. the lounge) and the offerings? Half tempted to buy access to it (we're there over Christmas and for a relaxing time, so the AUD$84 quoted doesn't seem like such bad value - though the price through the virtual concierge is $115 which is probably a bit much.

PS: For anyone else, there are also threads @
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...rt-how-go.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...australia.html
Old May 3, 2010, 1:59 pm

Hi - due to stay here at the end of August. Has anyone stayed recently and can confirm what a Gold card holder can expect please? Also anyone have email details for the hotel so I can contact them ahead of time. While I'm think of it why doesnt marriot provide email addresses for their hotels on their website like they do phone and fax numbers?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 4, 2010, 1:01 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Can't offer a definitive view on gold, but I suspect it will be similar to my stay as a plat;
> Free contintental breakfast for 2 ppl in room (upgrade to full breakfast for ~$9AUD per person), the continental is very comprehensive anyway.
> Room upgrade to a better view (but not a suite)
> Early checkin/late checkout on request (I used both, but only a couple of hours each way)

Unfortunately I don't have a contact email address - but the hotel does use the virtual concierge so about a week before your stay you will get an email that will let you get in touch with the hotel via the web form, typically when they write to you to confirm the details you have entered on this page you will get an email address. I didn't use it so I didn't get the address to share.
Old May 4, 2010, 1:37 pm

Club Elandra....

I had vascilated on whether to spring for Club access too. I just decided to consider it part of the cost of the trip and that worked out well.

Having been there and having access, I would NEVER go there without upgrading to the Elandra Club. It was a wonderful experience.

They had great food....different offerings every night...all the champagne, wine and beer you could drink. Deserts were SOME OF THE BEST we've ever had and my DH is a dessert ho (ha!)....

One day we came in and the gal remembered that DH was allergic to shellfish from the other day and brought him something special!

What I also loved about it was that you could eat breakfast in the buffet with no additional charge. That was really nice and what a breakfast buffet it was....I still remember the honey comb they had there. It reminded me of when I was a kid..my dad would bring home honeycomb/honey. Anyway, their's was really cool....about 12-16 inches tall....and you just kept on carving away at it....honeycomb and all! Food was to die for....

Loved our balcony...I could see DH down on the lounge chair from the balcony. We rec'd a really nice basket of treats for our anniversary and a bottle of red wine/cheese.

It was the breeder's cup (forgive me...not sure exactly but it might as well been a national holiday!!!) and everyone was dressed up to the nine's...I loved looking at how beautifully everyone was dressed...you would have thought the Queen was coming (not sure which one...but a queen nonetheless).

Staff were amazing....somehow knew us by name....we just loved it there and would return in a New York second.

Dawn
Old May 4, 2010, 2:30 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
How much for Club access? I noticed little voices mentioned $84 and $112 AUD. Are those prices correct, and are is that per person per day, per room per day, or other?

The reason I ask is as someone who usually travels alone and doesn't drink alcohol, it may not be something that would be worthwhile unless I am not traveling alone. I won't be going there this year as my OZ stops are all finalized, but perhaps in the future. TIA.
Old May 4, 2010, 3:11 pm

Probably not....

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
How much for Club access? I noticed little voices mentioned $84 and $112 AUD. Are those prices correct, and are is that per person per day, per room per day, or other?

The reason I ask is as someone who usually travels alone and doesn't drink alcohol, it may not be something that would be worthwhile unless I am not traveling alone. I won't be going there this year as my OZ stops are all finalized, but perhaps in the future. TIA.
It is per day, per room.

If I were traveling alone, I would probably skip it. I'm not a big breakfast eater so some fruit/yogurt is all I need.

Hubby doesn't drink either...but it was still well worth it. But it's probably not worth it by yourself.

Prices are anywhere from $75 to $125 US (in my case). I think if you were a Gold/Diamond, you got a slight break on the price.

Dawn
Old May 10, 2010, 2:14 pm

Just to confirm that I telephoned the hotel and they confirmed that they offered a free continental breakfast to Gold Card holders and that they didnt have an exec lounge.
Old May 10, 2010, 2:47 pm

They don't call it an EL....

Originally Posted by bm109
Just to confirm that I telephoned the hotel and they confirmed that they offered a free continental breakfast to Gold Card holders and that they didnt have an exec lounge.

When I contacted them, they told me the same thing.

Then I said, "but what about the Elandra Club"? They said, "oh...that is different....that is open to anyone for an additional fee."

They probably don't want to call it that because people will expect to get in there w/out paying more $$.

Dawn
Old Jul 18, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: AAEXP 3+MM, Marriott Plt and Plt for life, Hyatt Diamond
This is a very old conversation with no new information for a long time. Have any Platinum members stayed here recently and can you share what perks you experienced.
I am head there early august and have two rooms booked for six nights each using points.
Also was offered to upgrade to a suite for $95 per night I was wondering if anyone has insight into Elandra Retreat? Is it worth it to upgrade to get access to the suite.
Or am I better off just waiting and hoping for a courtesy upgrade based on availability at check in?
Thank you ion advance for your help.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 8:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Can't address your questions per se, but this is what is listed in the exec lounge sticky (from a year ago):

* Surfers Paradise / Marriott Resort & Spa; No Lounge Access (Resort); Free contintental breakfast coupons for 2; upgrade to full breakfast for $7AUD/person; Elite bennies: 20% discount on all food and beverage throughout the hotel (excluding minibar). Not applicable with any other discounts; 15% Discount on laundry; Complimentary premium internet in room;Complimentary valet parking; 08/13 update
Old Jul 21, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: AAEXP 3+MM, Marriott Plt and Plt for life, Hyatt Diamond
Thanks for the update SkiAdcock... I would really love t0 know about room upgrades as well. They are trying to get me to pay $95 per night more for my stay on points to have a Junior Suite. I am wondering if folks have been paying for upgrades. As a Platinum and now Platinum for life I have always been granted an upgrade free if available.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.