Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Hotel Los Angeles at L.A. LIVE [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2017, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Upgraded wireless Internet is complimentary in your guest room, and Gold Elite members enjoy a 10 percent discount on all purchases in our BLVD shop.

Executive Lounge – located on the 4th floor of the hotel, our Executive Lounge is open Monday through Friday 6:30am- 10am for breakfast. We are happy to provide breakfast for two at Glance, (previously called Ford's Filling Station), the lobby level restaurant on Saturday and Sunday.

Activities – the following amenities are offered at the hotel:

· Pool Deck, 4th floor open daily from 7 a.m. – 10 p.m.

· The Ritz-Carlton Spa, 2nd floor open daily from 9 a.m. – 8 p.m.

· Fitness Center, 2nd floor is open 24 hours

Destination Fee

The $30+taxes destination fee includes the following amenities - redeemable via the passport they hand you at check-in:
  • Premium internet (with a special code instead of logging in with name/room number)
  • $20 food and beverage credit daily [resets at 12pm according to reports]
  • "Wine tasting" from 4:30-5pm at the hotel restaurant (choice of house wines, either 2 half glasses of white and red, or 1 glass of white or red)
  • Admission to the Grammy Museum
  • Free small popcorn at Regal theater (requires coupon from front desk)
  • 1 hour of bowling at Lucky Strike between 4-6pm (once per stay)
The hotel current does not provide an alternate amenity for elites to replace the premium internet included in the destination fee.

To get acquainted with the exciting recreation, entertainment, attractions and shopping options on and around the hotel, please visit: www.lalivemarriott.com
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Hotel Los Angeles at L.A. LIVE [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Hotel reached out with this:

Executive Lounge/Operating Hours – located on the 4th floor of the hotel, our Executive Lounge is open 7 days a week for breakfast.

Breakfast 6:30am- 10am Honor Bar 5:30pm- 10pm Appetizers 5:30pm-7:30pm Dessert 7:30pm- 9:30pm.

Monday through Sunday 6:30am- 10am and 5 p.m. on Sunday evening through 12 p.m. Friday (lounge is closed on Friday and Saturday evening).

Activities – the following amenities are offered at the hotel:

· Pool Deck, 4th floor open daily from 7 a.m. – 10 p.m.

· The Ritz-Carlton Spa, 2nd floor open daily from 9 a.m. – 8 p.m. Luxury Los Angeles Spas | The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles

· Fitness Center, 2nd floor is open 24 hours
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
What's the current consensus of this hotel, particularly for guests with ambassador status?

I'm looking at the J.W. Marriott, the Ritz-Carlton and then a couple other Los Angeles properties for a July or August stay.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
What's the current consensus of this hotel, particularly for guests with ambassador status?

I'm looking at the J.W. Marriott, the Ritz-Carlton and then a couple other Los Angeles properties for a July or August stay.
Ritz is better for sure if the money isn't an issue. JW gets really busy if there's a concert or event.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: Delta PM 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

Aside from letting your ambassador do all the leg work for you, I suggest you get more value out of the JW. The opportunity for upgrades to larger or corner rooms with city views and a decent lounge. The RC gives you a supeeior Lounge experience but you will have to pay dearly for it. Parking, if you are driving, is outrageous. There is a parking structure about two/three blocks away but no in and out privileges. Either way the LA Live experience is worth the price.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium

Do you need to be at LA Live? The JW is getting worn and the Ritz is undergoing room refurbish so many are out of commission. The Sheraton Grand is 4 blocks from LA Live and is directly under the Metro Red Line and has a lot of great restaurants within a block walk (Bottega Louie being a top suggestion). Further down the Red Line is the W Hollywood, where I think you'd get better Ambassador recognition. In Santa Monica, I hear good things about the Le Margot JW.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by phant0m
Ritz is better for sure if the money isn't an issue. JW gets really busy if there's a concert or event.
Originally Posted by danola

Aside from letting your ambassador do all the leg work for you, I suggest you get more value out of the JW. The opportunity for upgrades to larger or corner rooms with city views and a decent lounge. The RC gives you a supeeior Lounge experience but you will have to pay dearly for it. Parking, if you are driving, is outrageous. There is a parking structure about two/three blocks away but no in and out privileges. Either way the LA Live experience is worth the price.
Does each hotel, the J.W. Marriott and Ritz-Carlton, have their own staff? What about facilities? The J.W. Marriott boasts a rooftop pool and 24/7 gym. I presume both are in common usage with the Ritz-Carlton.

For one of my potential dates a regular room at the Ritz-Carlton is about $200 more expensive than the J.W. Marriott.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:39 am

Does each hotel, the J.W. Marriott and Ritz-Carlton, have their own staff? What about facilities? The J.W. Marriott boasts a rooftop pool and 24/7 gym. I presume both are in common usage with the Ritz-Carlton.

For one of my potential dates a regular room at the Ritz-Carlton is about $200 more expensive than the J.W. Marriott.
Their own staff, pool, and gym. I've been upgraded to the Club Lounge for free before and that makes all the difference at the Ritz IMO.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Do you need to be at LA Live? The JW is getting worn and the Ritz is undergoing room refurbish so many are out of commission. The Sheraton Grand is 4 blocks from LA Live and is directly under the Metro Red Line and has a lot of great restaurants within a block walk (Bottega Louie being a top suggestion). Further down the Red Line is the W Hollywood, where I think you'd get better Ambassador recognition. In Santa Monica, I hear good things about the Le Margot JW.
No, I don't need to be there. I'm open to the airport but my thought was there would be more to do and more places to eat at a hotel away from the airport, though the July and August rates at airport hotels in Los Angeles are super cheap before any meeting/event discount.

As I posted in another thread, https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30881967-post136.html:

Beverly Hills Marriott
The Ritz-Carlton, Marina del Rey
Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel
The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles
J.W. Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE
Los Angeles Airport Marriott
J.W. Marriott Santa Monica Le Merigot

I might even be open to the Sheraton Agoura Hills Hotel or The Ritz-Carlton Bacara, Santa Barbara.

Budget is about $450 or less per night, before taxes.

If it makes a difference, all of the guests in the group have platinum or titanium elite statuses and then two have ambassador status. Likely, the group would also want to do dinner at least one night on-property, maybe two nights. Also, an outside pool is important.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:43 am
Suspended

Their own staff, pool, and gym. I've been upgraded to the Club Lounge for free before and that makes all the difference at the Ritz IMO.
What are the differences between the pools and gyms? Can you use the facilities of the other hotel, like the restaurants? Or are they completely segregated?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
If I need to be in DTLA, options are the JW, Sheraton Grand, and Westin (I don't like RC). I haven't stayed at the Sheraton Grand but I generally have good experiences with the JW. I have to push at checkin, but often get a suite as an ambassador. The lounge is above average (salmon/meats/cheeses in the morning, more options at night) but very busy with people that don't appear to be plat or above ... the pool deck is decent but the bar isn't always open. If there is a convention, the hotel can be really crowded. I'm not a big fan of the restaurants in the area either.

Does the RC have its own pool or does it share the one at the JW?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
RC has its own pool IIRC. Never visited.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I know others have had more positive experiences, but I detest the JW LA Live. Perhaps they have upgraded their rooms since I stayed last year, but the furnishings are not befitting of the JW brand. It does have a decent lounge, definitely above the domestic norm. The RC pool is really nice. I'm not sure if it's shared.

If I had a choice where to stay in LA, I would choose Santa Monica. Though downtown has become much more interesting. Both areas have a serious homeless problem.
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
They share staff, including backoffice and some customer facing staff. The RC is a glorified Marriott literally integrated in the same building as the JW.

I understood that Ritz Guests can use the JW Pool since it is higher up and can get windy, but JW guests can't use the Ritz Pool - but that could be a conditional weather/wind thing. Bottom line is that they each have their own pools.

I've been offered upsell to RC club, and depending on the cost, it could be worth it if you drink alcohol.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: Delta PM 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
If I need to be in DTLA, options are the JW, Sheraton Grand, and Westin (I don't like RC). I haven't stayed at the Sheraton Grand but I generally have good experiences with the JW. I have to push at checkin, but often get a suite as an ambassador. The lounge is above average (salmon/meats/cheeses in the morning, more options at night) but very busy with people that don't appear to be plat or above ... the pool deck is decent but the bar isn't always open. If there is a convention, the hotel can be really crowded. I'm not a big fan of the restaurants in the area either.

Does the RC have its own pool or does it share the one at the JW?
The RC has a rooftop pool, it’s as big as the JWs but with a 360* view and 30 plus stories higher.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I've been offered upsell to RC club, and depending on the cost, it could be worth it if you drink alcohol.
I was there on a Saturday/Sunday and the food offerings were pretty sad. I suspect it's better during the week, when occupancy is higher.

RC did give me one of my better Marriott upgrades, to a really nice suite. Possibly because occupancy was very low.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.