Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Hotel Los Angeles at L.A. LIVE [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2017, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Upgraded wireless Internet is complimentary in your guest room, and Gold Elite members enjoy a 10 percent discount on all purchases in our BLVD shop.

Executive Lounge – located on the 4th floor of the hotel, our Executive Lounge is open Monday through Friday 6:30am- 10am for breakfast. We are happy to provide breakfast for two at Glance, (previously called Ford's Filling Station), the lobby level restaurant on Saturday and Sunday.

Activities – the following amenities are offered at the hotel:

· Pool Deck, 4th floor open daily from 7 a.m. – 10 p.m.

· The Ritz-Carlton Spa, 2nd floor open daily from 9 a.m. – 8 p.m.

· Fitness Center, 2nd floor is open 24 hours

Destination Fee

The $30+taxes destination fee includes the following amenities - redeemable via the passport they hand you at check-in:
  • Premium internet (with a special code instead of logging in with name/room number)
  • $20 food and beverage credit daily [resets at 12pm according to reports]
  • "Wine tasting" from 4:30-5pm at the hotel restaurant (choice of house wines, either 2 half glasses of white and red, or 1 glass of white or red)
  • Admission to the Grammy Museum
  • Free small popcorn at Regal theater (requires coupon from front desk)
  • 1 hour of bowling at Lucky Strike between 4-6pm (once per stay)
The hotel current does not provide an alternate amenity for elites to replace the premium internet included in the destination fee.

To get acquainted with the exciting recreation, entertainment, attractions and shopping options on and around the hotel, please visit: www.lalivemarriott.com
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Hotel Los Angeles at L.A. LIVE [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2013, 6:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by stimpy
I didn't try, but I seriously doubt it. This is a very large hotel and I didn't see the lobby without over a hundred people in it at any time. Several hundred around 11pm last night.
Marriott is making available free wifi in the public areas of the Marriott brand hotel/resorts (500 properties) by end of this month. Was trying to figure out if that included JWs. I called 5 JWs (not LA Live) though, and the 5 I talked to did offer free wifi in the lobby.

Cheers.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Marriott is making available free wifi in the public areas of the Marriott brand hotel/resorts (500 properties) by end of this month. Was trying to figure out if that included JWs. I called 5 JWs (not LA Live) though, and the 5 I talked to did offer free wifi in the lobby.
When I checked in, they said that I should just accept the $12.95 WiFi fee and they would take it off the bill. They said nothing about free wifi in the lobby. But someone will have to give it a try to be sure.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:49 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
When I checked in, they said that I should just accept the $12.95 WiFi fee and they would take it off the bill. They said nothing about free wifi in the lobby. But someone will have to give it a try to be sure.
I was there last weekend and saw a number of people on computers in the lobby - don't know for sure if it was free but it looked at everyone was there for possibly free Wi-Fi access as opposed to paying for it in the room.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Nothing much to update since the last reviews. This is a nice property. I was able to get a JS upgrade which was a great room with a wonderful view of the Staples and Nokia areas. Note, the better rooms only have one official bed.

In terms of restaurants, I ate primarily off property. I would recommend Yard House (which is a chain), but did not feel as good about Trader Vic (which appears to offer TZ deals too, but I did not use one when I went).

The lounge (at least prior to the policy change for breakfast) was not open on weekends as indicated. It is locked down.

A small note which is most Marriott's I have visit worldwide are Pepsi properties, this one is completely Coke. There is also a massive Coke LED billboard on the property. You can see it easily from the outdoor patio of the lounge if you have a hard time finding it. They were using the aluminum stylized bottles here which are very nice.

Rasheed
Old Jul 18, 2013, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Weekend Breakfast?

For those Gold/PLT that have stayed at the JW Marriott LA Live on weekends when the lounge is closed, were you offered breakfast at the restaurant?
Seems like the rule is they are supposed to offer breakfast or the 750 points, but doesn't seem like anyone has gotten the breakfast option on a Friday or Saturday night stay? Anyone confirm? Thanks!!
Old Jul 18, 2013, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by greydog
For those Gold/PLT that have stayed at the JW Marriott LA Live on weekends when the lounge is closed, were you offered breakfast at the restaurant?
Seems like the rule is they are supposed to offer breakfast or the 750 points, but doesn't seem like anyone has gotten the breakfast option on a Friday or Saturday night stay? Anyone confirm? Thanks!!
Ask & you shall receive:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-weekends.html

Cheers.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Just got a "room packages" rate of $199 per night for 7/30-8/1.

Cheapest I have ever seen it including our very good corporate rate.

Love this hotel and am 6/6 on junor suite upgrades when staying.

Rate Rules
Summer Special Offer, includes at 20pct off spa services, 50 USD hotel credit daily, see Rate Rules
Additional Information
Summer Special Package at LA LIVE
Rate includes
-Deluxe room with 1 King or 2 Double beds
-50 USD hotel credit
-20pct off spa services
Restrictions
-Hotel credit not valid parking charges, room rate, tips,
gratuities, or taxes.
-Spa discount is for services only and not valid for
merchandise.
-Rate not available on the following nights July 15-17,
August 8-10, August 23-24
Holding Your Reservation
We will need a credit card number to reserve your room.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by greydog
Yes you get breakfast as Plat. See post #57 above.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 1:30 pm

Yes you get breakfast as Plat. See post #57 above.
Post# 66 has details with a trip report of last week.

Cheers.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 7:01 pm

The JW Marriott LA Live is located with the LA Live complex, so there is ample entertainment and dining options right at your doorstep.

Valet parking is rather slow. When I pulled up to the hotel, there were 4 or 5 valet attendants but only one of them was working. The other 3 or 4 were just standing around. The supervisor was there as well, and he didn’t seem that concerned that cars were starting to get backed up into the street. At $40, you would think, and hope, that not only would valet parking be very efficient but they should also throw in a free car wash.

Upon entering the hotel, there is a large atrium with a staircase on the right. The hotel is mainly white, with splashes of bright neon colors throughout. It almost has a South Beach feel to it.

The front desk is to the right and can be easily overlooked. There are only a couple of kiosks. Like valet parking, one front desk agent was more interested in looking at her nails, while the front desk agent who helped me very pleasant and efficient. All Marriott Platinum benefits were clearly explained. I was asked if I wanted 500 points or a $10 food/beverage credit. He also explained that the lounge was closed on the weekends, but breakfast could be had at LA Market. There was a $24 credit per person for breakfast, which I felt was rather generous.

I had booked a junior suite, since it was only $30 more than a regular room. I have read that Platinum members often got upgraded to a junior suite, but with the cost minimal it wasn’t that big of a deal. I had also booked a package where I received a $50 credit, so in essence I got free breakfast for being a Platinum member, and free lunch with the $50 credit.

My room was located on the top floor in a corner room with views from two sides. Unfortunately, the view from each window was of the 110 freeway.

Upon entering the room, the coffee maker and two complimentary bottles of water are waiting.

There is a small foyer with a bench that can sit three people next to it along with a small table.

The bathroom is rather large, with only a walk-in shower, however counter space is at a premium. Water temperature in the shower is great, but water pressure is somewhat lacking.

There is a large closet that contains the safe, iron, ironing board and several drawers.

The desk area is wide enough to hold the flat screen TV, a few drawers and a small refrigerator. The thing I don’t like about Marriott’s is that the desk is at a height that makes working on it almost impossible unless you are Manute Bol. There is a small pull out table that you can use as a work surface but seems to defeat the purpose of the desk. There are multiple outlets on the side of the desk that makes plugging in multiple devices easy.

There is a sitting area with a chair, sofa and large ottoman and coffee table, perfect for having a small get together.

The bed is super comfortable as are the pillows. At first glance, there does not appear to be any outlets in sight, but underneath the small lights mounted on the wall, there is an outlet underneath the fixture. It is close enough to the bed that you are still able to use your phone while it is plugged in.

Breakfast in LA Market was rather good. Service was great, and our server Jason was very accommodating. The breakfast buffet is $26 but you can also have cooked to order eggs or omelet, pancakes or French Toast in addition to the buffet for the same price. The pancakes are light and fluffy, and come loaded with blueberries, as well as blueberry or regular butter and real maple syrup.

My dining companion order the French Toast but indicated that she wanted it very soggy which is rarely done by restaurants. When the French Toast came out rather dry, Jason happily exchanged it for her second choice, the Eggs Benedict which were very good according to her.

There is a “rooftop” pool and bar, but it is on the fourth floor. No great view of the city, but you can see the action happening down in the LA Live area.

The one thing I do not like about Marriott is that although it is indicated that late check-out for Silver, Gold and Platinum members, if available, there is nothing set in stone, like with Hyatt or Starwood where a 4:00 PM check-out is guaranteed with the exception of resorts.

I asked for a late check-out and was told they best extend it to 1:00 PM. I then asked, even for Platinum members. After doing some digging, I was then given an extension to 3:00 PM, COMPLIMENTARY which was highly stressed.

Overall, this was a great stay and would not hesitate to stay here again if I needed to be in the area. Check rates early and book them if possible. As my stay was nearing I kept a casual eye on rates, and it more than doubled in the week of the stay.

Last edited by TheMysteryTraveler; Jul 21, 2013 at 7:12 pm
Old Jul 22, 2013, 7:31 am

Thanks for the very detailed trip report! Much appreciated!

Cheers.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Hard to add much to what ATHopkins19 has provided.

Suffice it to say I have been happy with all of the JW properties but this is unquestionably one of the best. The standard rooms are pretty sizable - I received one on the 22nd floor with a nice view of the Staples arena. Lounge food is some of the best I have seen anywhere (particularly in USA).

The staff was great, the food was good (many choices) and I was fortunate enough to attend a party at WP 24 in the adjacent RC which features stunning views and Wolfgang Puck cuisine.

Unlike much of LA there are plenty of restaurants and bars within walking distance (this is somewhat true for the JW Santa Monica as well) and clearly is the place to stay if you are attending events at the convention center or Staples. Would also be tempting if you have business downtown provided you are willing to walk or take a quick taxi. The hotel simply blows away most of the nearby competition.

I haven't been to a concert in years and would be loathe to spend coin to attend a Lakers home game but would love to find an excuse to stay here again.
Old May 14, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: United Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec
Annoyance

Make sure to check your final bill that they take the credits & breakfast charges off. Referred to Marriott Business line which has an 30min long wait... Why not e-mail or other handling option like Hyatt? Or even hotel directly can take care of these issues.

Originally Posted by apodo77
Just got a "room packages" rate of $199 per night for 7/30-8/1.

Cheapest I have ever seen it including our very good corporate rate.

Love this hotel and am 6/6 on junor suite upgrades when staying.

Rate Rules
Summer Special Offer, includes at 20pct off spa services, 50 USD hotel credit daily, see Rate Rules
Additional Information
Summer Special Package at LA LIVE
Rate includes
-Deluxe room with 1 King or 2 Double beds
-50 USD hotel credit
-20pct off spa services
Restrictions
-Hotel credit not valid parking charges, room rate, tips,
gratuities, or taxes.
-Spa discount is for services only and not valid for
merchandise.
-Rate not available on the following nights July 15-17,
August 8-10, August 23-24
Holding Your Reservation
We will need a credit card number to reserve your room.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:05 pm

Returned from a disappointing stay at the hotel. The staff are great but lots of clumsiness. Worst part is that the lounge is closed and they have a make shift replacement in one of the meeting rooms. My main reason for choosing this hotel was due to the previous experience with the lounge. It was a big disappointment to be told at check in without any prior notification. No view - food offering s average. No computer no printer. Weekends they offer you breakfast in restaurant which was much worse than the lounge. A real shame for such a grand property to offer such breakfast.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by sumayya
Returned from a disappointing stay at the hotel. The staff are great but lots of clumsiness. Worst part is that the lounge is closed and they have a make shift replacement in one of the meeting rooms. My main reason for choosing this hotel was due to the previous experience with the lounge. It was a big disappointment to be told at check in without any prior notification. No view - food offering s average. No computer no printer. Weekends they offer you breakfast in restaurant which was much worse than the lounge. A real shame for such a grand property to offer such breakfast.
Did they say how long the exec lounge will be closed?

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.