Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Renaissance Atlanta Waverly Hotel & Convention Center, GA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2008, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP

Checked in today for one night and somewhat disappointed.

At check-in I got coupon for breakfast as CL is closed (closed so one can't even grab soft drink out of it!). No coupon for appetizer for tonight.

Got upgrade to a corner king room. Pretty good but seems that hotel is mostly deserted and with so many suites I doubt they didn't have any for upgrade (I know they are not included in upgrade but I did ask

Restaurant is closed. Bar next to it has very limited selection and out of mint and oranges so no mojito or old fashined for me there.

TVs are old, no connectivity panel either.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Plat arrival gift I chose was assorted cheeses and crackers and got some herbal cheese and Carro plain crackers. Rather disappointing.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 6:32 pm

I have this hotel on my avoid list. It is old, hasn't been renovated in forever, has surly staff and is often full of noisy conventions (the noise echoes throughout the whole building).
Old Nov 24, 2008, 8:34 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by iztok
Checked in today for one night and somewhat disappointed.

At check-in I got coupon for breakfast as CL is closed (closed so one can't even grab soft drink out of it!). No coupon for appetizer for tonight.

Got upgrade to a corner king room. Pretty good but seems that hotel is mostly deserted and with so many suites I doubt they didn't have any for upgrade (I know they are not included in upgrade but I did ask

Restaurant is closed. Bar next to it has very limited selection and out of mint and oranges so no mojito or old fashined for me there.

TVs are old, no connectivity panel either.
Sad. A pox on hotels that close the CL during "dead weeks" without warning or making a tremendous effort to make up for the evening omission. An appetizer coupon doesn't cut it for me. Many of them close when the most dire hards of us have to travel. Just greedy.

Agree with the TV's. I hate the resturant, its is horrible and way overpriced. Bar food OK. And right on with the gift. And I feel they do lie with the upgrades.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 3:55 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
One of the things missing on this forum is a master thread of property reviews (hint hint to anyone with the skills needed ) - which makes searching for reviews difficult.

Like joshua362, this is on my avoid list since a poor stay last year - which I described in a post - but my issues were different. I actually DID get upgraded to a suite, and had quite pleasant service....but the rest of the stay .

The ATL Ren is starting to show its' age so badly I wonder how long it will BE a Ren???

On the other hand, (also written up here somewhere) is the FS across the street - great hotel and service.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Ok, so I got a breakfast buffet coupon. Go down to the Atrium Cafe to get one. Guess what? No buffet, just menu order.

So I do order from the menu, but still... like they are in shutdown mode.

I don't think I will be visiting this Ren anymore.
Old May 7, 2017, 1:59 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stay Report - 5/6 - 5/7

Location: The hotel is located on Cumberland Avenue right between I-75 and I-285. It's easy walking distance from the Cobb Energy Center and a mile away from the new Braves Ballpark (Suntrust Park). Nearby is the Cumberland Mall and Akers Mill Square Shopping Center which have a bunch of restaurants and shops. There is no public transit options available.

Hotel: The hotel is an older property, a 14 story brick building with a central atrium. There are five elevators which can be a little slow when the hotel is at capacity. The lobby has a restaurant that serves breakfast as well as a separate restaurant and bar which is open until 12 and serves food until then. The second floor has a lot of meeting space which was full when I was there.

Check In: The agent checking us in seemed tired and worn out and wasn't overly friendly. I don't blame her though, now that the Braves park is nearby this hotel gets very crowded. She did confirm what credit card we wanted to use as well as if we still wanted two King rooms and a Double room. She even tried to get us all on the same floor which was really nice.

Room: My room was a double that was quite nice. The beds were extremely comfortable and the bathroom was of a nice size with a hot shower and Aveda toiletries. There was a small mini fridge and a coffee maker as well. My only complaint was the TV was older and couldn't handle digital channels.

Restaurant/Lounge: We had drinks and dessert in the bar which was understaffed and crowded though the cocktails and desserts were quite good. The lounge was of a decent size and comfortable and had a pretty good breakfast spread. Hot oatmeal, grits, bacon, sausage and eggs as well as breads, really good pastries and fruit and cereal.

Our rate was $160/night and for a Braves game this is a good hotel.
Old May 7, 2017, 5:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update w/ pics too! Much appreciated. And hey - saw there was a desk in the room

Cheers.
Old May 25, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
We stayed there this past weekend (May 20th). Very easy to get into and out of from I-285/I-75 via Cobb Parkway Exit. Both valet and self-park. We were there for an ATL Braves games Saturday afternoon and nabbed a 10th floor room with a view of Sun Trust Park.

The hotel and adjacent mall has a new pedestrian-only walkway to Sun Trust Park. There is also a new shuttle (I think it's called Cobb Link) that runs by the hotel to the ballpark, as well.

The CL was open for the weekend but was held hostage by young families and their wild children. You think I'm kidding?

We liked the hotel and would highly recommend to those attending a baseball game. Member rate of $135.00

Last edited by Old Hickory; May 25, 2017 at 12:24 pm Reason: addition of rate
Old May 25, 2017, 2:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Stayed at this hotel for a meeting (also at the hotel) this past week. Was upgraded to an executive king room (very spacious) upon arrival (which was unfortunately at 1:30 am due to huge flight delays.) Communicated with the hotel via app chat about the late arrival and there were no issues with the room being held for the late arrival. The 7:00 am requested wake up call was on time (requested at check in.) There were some stray hairs in the bathroom and a smudge on the toilet seat that led me to believe that housekeeping had not done a very good job. Bath towel was incredibly thin (not plush) --- can't tell if they are just being cheap or if that's a brand standard.

Elevators were slow. The food and beverage operations group at the hotel did a fine job for the one-day meeting I attended --- high quality, tasty food at lunch.

CL was meh --- powdered scrambled eggs, overcooked sausages. The CL wasn't crowded, but CL staff wasn't keeping up cleaning vacated tables. Nor were they particularly friendly or welcoming.

I wouldn't come back for a leisure stay.
Intl359Widget likes this.

Last edited by dgreen12; Jun 21, 2019 at 11:59 am Reason: Forgot about the bath towel.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 11:01 pm

I stayed here on 9/29/21. I actually kind of enjoyed this hotel. Yeah, the rooms are getting to be a bit old, but they're huge, the furnishings were nice, and the TV was relatively new.

The proximity to Truist Park and The Battery are a fantastic amenity. My coworker talked me into seeing a Braves game and being able to walk back instead of sit in traffic was great.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 6:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Explorist; IHG Gold; Hilton Silver
Can anyone confirm whether this hotel counts as a "resort or convention hotel" for the purposes of the guaranteed 4pm checkout benefit for Platinums and above?

I know it has the phrase "& Convention Center" in its name, but that doesn't tell us anything, as plenty of hotels with that phrase in their name aren't officially designated as such. And it wasn't listed as a resort/convention hotel on Marriott's official published list as of April 2018 (which sadly doesn't exist anymore, but it can still be viewed on archive.org).

Thinking about staying here for a possible upcoming trip to Atlanta, but if they're exempt from guaranteed late checkout, I might find some other place. Thank you!

Last edited by hotelprof; Aug 10, 2023 at 6:08 pm Reason: Added link to archived version of resort/convention hotel list
Old Aug 11, 2023, 7:14 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Glb, Hilton Gold, Marriott AMB, National EE
I stay here multiple times a year and have done so for the past 8 years. I have never had an issue with a late checkout. Not a confirmation of your question though.
hotelprof likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 11:33 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Titanium
Yeah I've stayed here a few times and very happy with my treatment as an elite. I've cleared an SNA into a corner suite every time I've tried (in fact, the SAME corner suite every time).
hotelprof likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.