Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Chiang Mai (former Le Meridien), Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Chiang Mai (former Le Meridien), Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2010, 8:13 am

Programs: SPG +Starwood Privilege
Question Room Types for Le Méridien Chiang Mai ?

I’m heading to Chiang Mai at the end of March. I’m thinking to stay at Le Méridien just for a night (03/27) before leaving the city. Now I have a question about the different room types, I’m hoping people who familiar with the hotel or Le Méridien can assist me.

The room types are:

Deluxe Room 36sqm 113rooms
Deluxe Studio 40sqm 20rooms
Premium Deluxe Room 36sqm 105rooms
Preferred Room 36sqm 63rooms
Royal Club Room 36sq 39rooms
Junior Suite Room 76sqm 40rooms
Diplomatic Suite 144sqm 3rooms
Royal Suite 250sqm 1rooms

It is very easy to distinguish among the suites, but what are the differences among Deluxe Room, Deluxe Studio, Premium Deluxe, and Preferred Room? Their rates seems the same or just a small diff. From looking at the prices/rates, it seems studio = corner room?!

Does it worth to pay $1200THB more for Royal Club Room, which gives the access to the lunge? BTW, does it open on Sunday anyways?

PS. I'm a newbie and never stay at Le Meridien before~~
Old Mar 9, 2010, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
There are some extensive - an absolutely photo-laden - reviews in the property master thread that describe room layouts and typical plat upgrades.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Mar 9, 2010 at 10:49 am Reason: Thanks. Used link to merge RiceBear's query.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 5:25 pm

Here is another link directly with the hotel,
it has a special package section which offers good deals that one could not find on SPG.com
http://www.lemeridienhotelchiangmai.com/
Old Mar 9, 2010, 5:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Shangri-La Jade, IHG Platinum, TG Gold
Originally Posted by RiceBear
Does it worth to pay $1200THB more for Royal Club Room, which gives the access to the lunge? BTW, does it open on Sunday anyways?
Dont' know much about the rooms as I was upgraded to the Junior Suites the last few times I was there (I'm SPG Plat). Here are pictures I took of the Junior Suite : http://meremalearoundtheworld.blogsp...20Chiang%20Mai

Personally, I wouldn't pay for Royal Club room because the benefits breakfast/snacks/drinks etc..., you can find much cheaper in the shops around the area as it is located in the heart of the night market area. I would rather upgrade to the Suite which is sufficiently big enough to lounge in and buy all the cheap booze and snacks from the shops.

Nevertheless, the hotel is A-star in my books when it comes to SPG Plat treatment.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 7:19 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by meremale
Dont' know much about the rooms as I was upgraded to the Junior Suites the last few times I was there (I'm SPG Plat). Here are pictures I took of the Junior Suite : http://meremalearoundtheworld.blogsp...20Chiang%20Mai
They classify this as a Jr. Suite or is there some other reason you are calling this a Jr. Suite? Looks quite 'suite' to me. I stayed in the same type of room a year ago.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 8:30 pm

Special thanks to the staff in LE MERIDIEN CHIANG MAI with a quick response.

Here are the description for the room types & hope they are helpful:

Deluxe Room

Size of room: 36 sqm.

Bed type: King sized bed /Twin bed

Deluxe Studio (can be interconnected with Deluxe room)

Size of room: 40 sqm.

Bed type: King sized bed

Premium Deluxe

Bed type: King sized bed/Twin bed

Preferred Room

Bed type: King sized bed/Twin bed

Royal Club room

Bed type: King sized bed /Twin bed

Junior Suite (can be interconnected with Royal Club room)

Size of room: 76 sqm.

Bed type: King sized bed

Room number 1504 and 2133 (as shown in the above post) are the Junior Suite.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by meremale

Personally, I wouldn't pay for Royal Club room because the benefits breakfast/snacks/drinks etc..., you can find much cheaper in the shops around the area as it is located in the heart of the night market area. I would rather upgrade to the Suite which is sufficiently big enough to lounge in and buy all the cheap booze and snacks from the shops.

Nevertheless, the hotel is A-star in my books when it comes to SPG Plat treatment.
Thank you for your advice!!! I booked Premium Deluxe Room for $5000THB (after taxes). I think I will be better off using the $1200 on something else, such as SPA or food~

Basically, Deluxe Room = Deluxe Studio = Premium Deluxe = Preferred Room = Royal Club room, the main diff are one has to pay more for higher floor….. Of course I prefer higher floor, but I won't pay for it… YES, I’m CHEAP! I believe no one wants to pay $300~500 more for an exactly the same room just one floor higher!! Deluxe Room on 10th floor ---> Premium Deluxe on 11th floor…
Old Mar 16, 2010, 12:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG/Marriott Gold, AA Gold
I stayed at this property last year and can't say enough good things about it. Aside from the room (which was heavenly after 3 days sleeping on a rock hard mattress at an elephant camp), the service was excellent.

I had a huge, heavy piece of framed artwork that I needed to ship home and the concierge was such a big help. He got me quotes from UPS and DHL and arranged to have the piece packaged as well. I'm happy to say that it arrived home before me and in perfect condition. (DHL actually built it it's own little crate).

This is also probably one of the cleanest hotels I have ever stayed in. I don't think there was EVER a paper towel in the lobby restroom because someone came in and cleaned it like every 15 minutes. I'm not even kidding.

The restaurant was quite good for lunch and the bar had some really cool cocktails (including one where the cocktail sits on a fiber optic coaster and changes the color of your drink periodically).

All in all, we had a wonderful stay at the property and I would definitely stay here again.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 3:45 pm

Programs: IC Platinum Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
I stayed there a year ago and I want to reiterate my positive experience at the Le Meridien Chiang Mai. The Executive Lounge is amazing, after the Lounge personel were always helpful and cheerful, whether it be remembering my drink preferences from day one or suggesting places to visit durig my stay. The Junior Suite was incredible--The Bath with a City View was wonderful and the Rain Fall Shower was superb.

When I was there the hotel was still brand new--as a matter of fact I was staying in a Smoking Suite (My Preference is Non Smoking) I was assured when i was heading to the room I was the first guest in that room and no one had smoked or even stayed overnight in it.

sdcarver
Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:21 am

ditto on the positive review for LM Chiang Mai.

Upgraded to Jr. Suite as a Platinum. Good breakfast here, would rank it.

SGS > LM Khao Lak > LM Chiang Mai > Sheraton Grande Laguna

Buffet breakfast, just good food, nothing special.

Do laundry outside the hotel, theres a store just to the right of the entrance of the hotel. 25 baht for 1 kg. Cheap stuff here. I rented a scooter here for 220 baht per day (125cc).

The night market is just outside the hotel, makes it a good location. Another plug for taxi driver that drove us around this trip. Mr. Punthip 086-192-4828.
Good honest guy. Would definitely recommend.

Went to the Thai Massage place just in front of the hotel (Lotus?, I forget). The rate is 700 thb for 2 hours of oil massage. I thought they did a great job here. Slightly better than the massage in Bangkok, but that was a Thai massage, this is with oil.

The floating restaurant was good and cheap. However, we didnt know what order, so I would advise knowing beforehand what you want. The Tom Yum soup was delicious here.

If you want to know more about my trip to thailand, check out that forum and search for honeymoon.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG-G
Thumbs up

After reading this thread (Thanks to all the contributors!), I have booked 2 nights here for Aug-27 thru 29. I'm only a lowly SPG Gold, so we'll see if there are any perks for that. I'm also doing one night in Pattaya at the Sheraton and still debating on what Starwood property to stay at in Bangkok.

Essentially, I am scouting out my honeymoon for the next year .. this is basically a long stopover on a backpacking trip through China that I leave for next week. I'm really looking forward to these awesome hotels after a few weeks of homestays and hostels ... I decided against heading South to the islands in fear of weather, rather to visit the historical sites as well as the wilderness. Pattaya seems close enough to BKK that if the weather or beach is crappy, I can just head back to the BKK area.

I'm really looking forward to Chang Mai though .. I really cannot read enough good things about it.

While in town, I am planning an elephant ride (wuhoo, thanks for the tip) and just and overall walk-around and ask the locals for tips on what to see. I'd appreciate any tips or pointers anyone has for me. I love to take photos and I love architecture/historical sites.

Thanks in advance!
Jim
Old Aug 7, 2010, 12:02 am

Programs: UA global, VS Gld , SPG plat
Originally Posted by jimrhit
I'm also doing one night in Pattaya at the Sheraton and still debating on what Starwood property to stay at in Bangkok.
LM Chiang Mai is my favourite starwood property I stay in - there is nothing really to find fault with (allowing for a few odd quirks that can be overlooked).
Sheraton Pattaya was nothing memorable except for the tiny beach, endless steps, clumsy layout and innacceible location - Pattaya centre made me want to have a good scrub in the bath when I got back but that could be just me.

BKK I always choose Sheraton Royal Orchid which is a great location on the river, excellent service and one of the best hotels pools.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 1:25 pm

Stayed here for a few days in June.... Upgraded to the usual suite as plat... I wasn't crazy about the service... I think LM BKK had much better service, though I slightly prefer the CM suite over the BKK.

KL Pool Villa was by far the best though...
Old Aug 10, 2010, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG-G
Originally Posted by JCBR
LM Chiang Mai is my favourite starwood property I stay in - there is nothing really to find fault with (allowing for a few odd quirks that can be overlooked).
Sheraton Pattaya was nothing memorable except for the tiny beach, endless steps, clumsy layout and innacceible location - Pattaya centre made me want to have a good scrub in the bath when I got back but that could be just me.

BKK I always choose Sheraton Royal Orchid which is a great location on the river, excellent service and one of the best hotels pools.
Thanks JCBR, I am very excited about the LM Chang Mai now ... very much looking forward to this hotel. No on really says anything "bad" about it .. and those that do love, rate it as one of the best. I'll be sure to post up some photos and a small review of the place as I see it.

Ouch! I'm hoping my Pattaya experience is better than that ... I was just hoping to catch a bit of the sea. Either way, the property does look nice and I really don't plan on leaving unless the weather acts up..

I think I'm set on the Sheraton RO BKK as well ... looks like a really nice place to relax for the night.

Jim
Old Aug 10, 2010, 11:28 am
Suspended

If you are in the area, I would also check out the LM Chiang Rai. That property really blew me away. I loved it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.