Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SLS at Beverly Hills, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SLS at Beverly Hills, CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I just stayed here and I didn't find it all that special. I guess I'm an outlier. As others pointed out above, the breakfast Platinum benefit is very limited. Can this place at least add in some hard boiled eggs?

As for my room - they upgraded me to a 1 bedroom suite but my suite had NO window in the bedroom. The living room has one small window. The room was dark and dingy (room 338 if memory serves). The design is nice but surely not luxury imo. There was no water or iron in the room upon check in. 2nd day, free water appeared. I had to call (and wait) for the iron AM of 2nd day.

Service was poor (they told me they'd call/text me when my room was ready - but never did). Didn't even apologize when I brought it up to them. At checkout I told them I had two items from the mini-bar and they made me wait 5 minutes while someone went to the room to double check I didn't have 3. Never saw a luxury property treat me like that. After the wait - they agreed, that's all I had.

The location of this place is EXCELLENT and sadly other than the Sofitel (which is also quite overpriced) there aren't a lot of larger chain hotels nearby. Some boutiques but that's a totally different experience. So would I be back? Maybe (mostly for location) - but surely I wouldn't call this a Luxury hotel not in hard product, not in benefits delivered to Plats, and not in service. I realize there are a lot of fans on this thread... but for me - locale is the primary attraction here.
EuropeanPete and jaejaez like this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by KevinS
While this is a great place, *this* shocked me: SLS Beverly Hills Named
#1 Hotel in the World, #1 in the United States and #1 in Los Angeles by Conde Nast Traveler 2019 Readers' Choice Awards
I stayed there in October and have to admit I was underwhelmed. We chose the SLS because the price on our travel days was comparable to the nearby Marriott Beverly Hills, but was in a better location and seemingly a more luxurious hotel. The lobby and pool areas are upscale and nice, but the rooms were very dark with little natural or artificial light. We had a couple of problems with our booking - regular staff seemed willing to help but unable to actually do anything. Only upon followup with management did anything get resolved. Would be nice if regular employees were empowered to fix these things instead of waiting to have management resolve. Was very impressed by the management people we dealt with though - they went above and beyond. All in all, a nice hotel, great location, but #1 in the World/US/LA would be quite a stretch.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Will this hotel keep their Luxury Collection flag or they joining ALL the SLS hotels under Accor?
Old Mar 20, 2021, 8:35 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Curious if there are any COVID-era stays. Debating whether to use a free night cert here or the Edition in May for a relaxing one nighter. The fact that there would be Platinum breakfast at SLS has me leaning here. Optimistic facilities will open up a bit in the coming weeks.
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Curious if there are any COVID-era stays. Debating whether to use a free night cert here or the Edition in May for a relaxing one nighter. The fact that there would be Platinum breakfast at SLS has me leaning here. Optimistic facilities will open up a bit in the coming weeks.
I would go for the EDITION. Plenty of great places to eat breakfast nearby. I did not enjoy my stay at the SLS, always felt it was an odd fit for the Luxury Collection brand (not that that was part of the issue)
Adam1222 and bizum like this.

Last edited by pazza2000; Mar 21, 2021 at 5:42 am
Old Mar 21, 2021, 11:37 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Adam1222
it is a very light continental breakfast.
pazza2000 and Adam1222 like this.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by TravisMT81
it is a very light continental breakfast.
It sure was!

Stay at the EDITION, I’ve heard they are upgrading Elite’s, and there a number of good options for breakfast within walking distance.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 12:37 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
I wanted to pop in and vouch for the SLS as I was impressed with my stay this weekend that far exceeded my expectations. While I didn't get a suite, I was able to check in at 9 AM to a Premier City View King, which had a lovely view that included both Downtown and the Hollywood sign. I also appreciated that the FDA asked if I would prefer a room on the 5th floor with no connecting door or a room on the 7th floor with a connecting door - nice touch to be that considerate. The room itself was quite comfortable - very plush mattress and large shower with great pressure. The number of mirrors was a bit shocking - thank goodness, I'm not overly superstitious. I was also surprised, based on the state of the SLS portfolio, how "Marriott" the property was - Luxury Collection branding was in full force on the keycards and linens, and the TV used Marriott's smart OS (great touch).

Elite breakfast was a la carte (I was told both $35 and $70 for the credit amount - I'm assuming it's supposed to be $35 per person). The coconut oil mini pancakes were surprisingly good, and I appreciated that I didn't even have to sign a receipt - my server said that everything had been taken care of when I gave my room number to the host.

Overall, I was really impressed by the SLS and wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

Last edited by ElevatorEnthusiast; Oct 11, 2021 at 12:55 pm
Old Jun 1, 2022, 11:13 pm

Any recent stays this year? Is the plat breakfast really a $35 credit now instead of continental? I’m mostly worried about getting stuck in a very loud room after reading comments about club noise. Thanks
Old Jun 2, 2022, 12:00 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
I stayed there about a year ago. The breakfast was actually the highlight of the stay. It was a $35 credit per person, up to two people. The breakfast ran about $40 plus tip so not a terrible deal. Otherwise, there hotel was amazingly unremarkable. I couldn't put my finger on any one thing. The staff was nice, the hotel was decent, but I just didn't get that wow factor, especially for such an expensive hotel. I found both the W Hollywood and the W Westwood - now laughingly called the W Beverly Hills West - to be better properties, although you will want a high floor to avoid club noise
Old Jun 25, 2022, 6:24 am

Thanks for the feedback. You're right platinum breakfast was a highlight. I actually loved this hotel but was put off at first by some comments here. Maybe I had different expectations, but my standard room was on a high floor and perfect. Not sure if it was an upgrade to premier, since I don't know the difference. Excellent nespresso machine was a nice bonus. Staff was great and genuinely attentive to guests (and anticipated one or two things I needed without asking). Had looked at W Westwood, but this was the best location for my stay and Edition was out of reach. Some said the hotel style doesn't fit with Luxury Collection brand, but I appreciated the uniqueness.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 8:16 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by rrgg
Thanks for the feedback. You're right platinum breakfast was a highlight. I actually loved this hotel but was put off at first by some comments here. Maybe I had different expectations, but my standard room was on a high floor and perfect. Not sure if it was an upgrade to premier, since I don't know the difference. Excellent nespresso machine was a nice bonus. Staff was great and genuinely attentive to guests (and anticipated one or two things I needed without asking). Had looked at W Westwood, but this was the best location for my stay and Edition was out of reach. Some said the hotel style doesn't fit with Luxury Collection brand, but I appreciated the uniqueness.
I was surprised at how Luxury Collection the hotel was based on the history of the SLS brand. Glad to hear the hotel continues to be a positive experience - I need to return soon!
Old Sep 21, 2022, 9:31 am

Stayed here recently. Color me not impressed. 1 or 2 of the staff I met were friendly. Most took an approach of you're annoying me by asking me a question. Simple things like where do I check in, were met with a sigh. Mind you, this is by the person who's sole responsibility is to open the door and greet people.

It's really odd, nothing about this hotel was truly "luxury" Also, nothing was truly bad. It was just a meh hotel all around. I've stayed in Westin's that are nicer. There was zero acknowledgment of Ambassador status. I had to pry details out of them. Late checkout, breakfast ($35 in lobby restaurant, and the highlight of this hotel) Anyway, I'm kind of meandering with this review, because thats how I felt about my stay here. The location is not in the heart of Beverly Hills. The staff is as warm as overnight left on the counter pizza and the hotel itself just seems dark and drab. It's trying for a dark and trendy look, but doesnt come across that way.

If you're looking for a luxury experience, look elsewhere.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 4:18 pm

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
Originally Posted by mcsb11
Stayed here recently. Color me not impressed. 1 or 2 of the staff I met were friendly. Most took an approach of you're annoying me by asking me a question. Simple things like where do I check in, were met with a sigh. Mind you, this is by the person who's sole responsibility is to open the door and greet people.
If you're looking for a luxury experience, look elsewhere.
I've stayed at the SLS three times and this is another property on my list that was truly remarkable during the SPG days and that now reflects the recent comments. What really got me last time (December 2021) was that even though it was the same menu and same prices, they wouldn't let me use the Plat Breakfast during 'brunch" hours on the weekend.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 8:07 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Any stays here in the past year?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.