Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Chicago North Shore (Wheeling) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Chicago North Shore (Wheeling) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2016, 4:30 pm

Simple and reliable

The Westin Chicago North Shore

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

601 N Milwaukee Ave Wheeling, IL US 60090

Simple and reliable (0 Photo)

Check In

Efficient. As Gold, I was proactively offered 4pm checkout.

Room

Modern, minimalist feel. Conducive to rest (especially in a corner room), per Westin standards, but the lack of vibrant art can feel dull.

Bed fantastic in all respects. I've stayed at this hotel a few times over the past several years and the bedding has always been well-kept: never scratchy or threadbare.

Overall cleanliness is very good, but I did notice an old coffee pod in my coffee maker (which I didn't use).

Service

Good enough; nothing spectacular. At checkout, the front desk agent told me I had a charge for internet, but he would "comp" it, even though I'd booked a standard rate off SPG.com and should have had free internet via Gold status.

Dining

Breakfast buffet spread looked cliche and unappetizing—and was extremely expensive—so I ordered Belgian waffles off the menu, which was fairly priced, and quite good.

Very quiet, though still a stone's throw to Interstate 294. Surprisingly good number of full-service restuarants in walking distance.

Overall

A good quiet suburban Westin with a strong commitment to Heavenly bedding.

Simple and reliable

Would you like to write a review on the The Westin Chicago North Shore?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Oct 23, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
Staying here one night on points for last-minute reservation. I am a legacy Marriott customer, so don't often stay at SPG brands, but this Westin is as nice or nicer than a very good Marriott/Renaissance. Hotel overall is clean and nicely designed (opened in 2009). Rooms are good size. At check-in, status acknowledged. Requested late check out and given 4pm without any issue. Was offered breakfast in ground floor restaurant (breakfast at restaurant opens at 6:30am according to a sign if I saw it right it said the buffet is normally 18.95 and half price for kids) as option choice instead of points at ground floor hotel, but suggested not needed because of lounge breakfast availability. Hotel has pool which looked pretty nice (decent size and clean). Beds were wonderful. Concierge floors are 13-16, though lounge itself is on 16. Lounge is SMALL. In evening, complimentary beer and wine from 6-8pm, so lounge was packed and so small that I took a couple of bottles of water (normal size, i.e., not small, bottles of Aquafina....Pepsi products were also there, as were various yogurts, etc. which I assume are available all day) and left. I believe that the lounge is open every day from 6am-11pm (to get drinks, etc.) but can't be 100% sure I heard that correctly.

All in all, definitely one of the nicer Bonvoy options north of Chicago.

One thing I definitely dislike is the parking situation. As it should be, self-parking is free. It's just that the parking lot (of which there is plenty of space) is a little ways walk from the main hotel entrance and there is no side door entrance that makes it easier (as far as I can tell). When we stayed, the weather was fine, but I can imagine it sucking on a windy winter or wet day.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Facing the hotel, on the far right (near the conference center end), you should be able to go into some of those side doors and walk inside to the main lobby

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.