Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (thru Oct. 2018) [Merged threads]

Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Marriott-family hotels in "xx" means all Marriott brand hotels in that city. It does not mean hotels that are family friendly, although there could be some family friendly ones on the list. But it refers to the various brands. Marriott-family hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc, & trip reports are usually in the property specific threads."

​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

Marriott-family hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (thru Oct. 2018) [Merged threads]

Old Feb 17, 2016, 1:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the trip report on the CY Herald Square. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 8:28 am

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
http://www.hotelnewsresource.com/article87275.html

"Marriott Vacations Worldwide announced today that it has taken over management of The Strand Hotel in New York City. Marriott Vacations Worldwide has also agreed to a capital efficient purchase of the 176-room hotel in phases over time, beginning in 2018, and plans to make it part of its Marriott Vacation Club vacation ownership program.

It will rebrand The Strand as a Marriott Vacation Club in early March 2016 and will begin welcoming Marriott Vacation Club Owners. Reservations for Owner usage through the Marriott Vacation Club exchange program will be offered as early as mid-February 2016 for arrivals beginning in early March 2016.
"
Thanks Sharon - I'm booked to stay at the Strand two nights early March. I'll post a review afterwards. Interesting, as it popped up as an option on my corporate travel site with a very reasonable rate for the area near my destination, and looked pretty cool. But there was no mention that it was affiliated with Marriott. Marriott is one of my company's preferred chains but none of the regular Marriott brand hotels nearby were shown as options as they were all much more expensive, even the Courtyard or Ren. The Algonquin was another option shown but rate was higher than Strand and reviews here have not been good.

Now I know I should at least earn points and get benefits as Gold at the Strand. I'll follow up with thoughts after.

(on edit) Just realized that since they've branded this hotel as a Vacation Club property, not sure what benefits, if any, I would get? Just checked the T&C and I should earn points, but not clear about breakfast or upgrades?

Last edited by Brucemcdou; Feb 18, 2016 at 8:35 am
Old Feb 18, 2016, 9:29 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Brucemcdou
(on edit) Just realized that since they've branded this hotel as a Vacation Club property, not sure what benefits, if any, I would get? Just checked the T&C and I should earn points, but not clear about breakfast or upgrades?
Marriott Rewards' published benefits for upgrades, late checkout, and 48-hour availability specifically exclude Marriott Vacation Club.

Only four Marriott brands provide the lounge/breakfast benefit for Gold and Platinum. Marriott Vacation Club is not one of them.

When I've stayed at Marriott Vacation Club properties at Platinum, I've always received an automatic 500 point welcome gift (no option for $10 food/beverage credit).

However... New York City might be different. After all, this property has to compete with full-service Marriott, JW Marriott, Autograph Collection, and Renaissance Collection properties in New York. If the executives at Marriott Vacation Club are smart, they'll realize that Elite members are likely to stay away unless the hotel offers competitive benefits. This is a city hotel in a competitive market, not a sprawling vacation resort somewhere on a beach or golf course.

I guess we'll find out.

Last edited by Horace; Feb 18, 2016 at 9:35 am
Old Feb 18, 2016, 10:44 am

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Horace
I guess we'll find out.
Thanks Horace - I'll report back after my stay. This is clearly an existing property that has just joined Marriott, and the Marriott website states that the property is coming "in March 2016." Since my stay will be early March (Feb 29 - Mar 2) the staff will probably just be figuring it out and benefits etc may be in flux. I'll ask...
Old Feb 18, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Brucemcdou
Thanks Horace - I'll report back after my stay. This is clearly an existing property that has just joined Marriott, and the Marriott website states that the property is coming "in March 2016." Since my stay will be early March (Feb 29 - Mar 2) the staff will probably just be figuring it out and benefits etc may be in flux. I'll ask...
The hotel's final night at the Strand Hotel NYC is March 4, 2016.

Its first night as the Marriott Vacation Club New York City is March 5, 2016.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Feedback on selecting amongst 3 Midtown properties

I have a meeting in Midtown in two weeks and have booked 3 different MR properties. Obviously, I'm not gonna stay at all 3 in one night (nor do I want to pay that much or risk not getting the room stay night credits) but I'd appreciate some input and feedback as I try to select amongst the three.

The three* are:
  • Carlton Hotel ($303/night)
  • Fairfield Inn Chelsea ($229/night)
  • Renaissance Midtown ($240/night)
(*: had a 4th reservation at the SpringHill Suites Midtown for $278 but decided to cancel)

Fundamentally I'm looking for an interesting and affordable hotel - as well as a property that's not worn down. I've never stayed at any of these before. The Carlton is clearly the most boutique, the Renaissance is brand new and the Fairfield offered the lowest price I could find in Midtown.

As a Platinum, I'll get an opportunity to try the Concierge Lounge at the Ren, get what the Fairfield offers as its free breakfast and get nothing but a room at the Carlton. Also to note that my room rate at the Ren offers two free beers (or soft drinks) at the "Thread" - which the hotel's website doesn't define.

The Ren is the closest to Penn Station which is where I'll likely disembark from the train. The Carlton is the closest to my meeting location which starts at 8:30 AM so I'm likely not going to spend a long time on breakfast unless I wake up at what will be an early time for someone travelling from the West Coast. And again the Fairfield is the Fairfield but its low rate makes this trip that much more affordable.

Anyway, I welcome any and all comments, recommendations and feedback.

David
Old Apr 5, 2016, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
I have a meeting in Midtown in two weeks and have booked 3 different MR properties. Obviously, I'm not gonna stay at all 3 in one night (nor do I want to pay that much or risk not getting the room stay night credits) but I'd appreciate some input and feedback as I try to select amongst the three.

The three* are:
(*: had a 4th reservation at the SpringHill Suites Midtown for $278 but decided to cancel)

Fundamentally I'm looking for an interesting and affordable hotel - as well as a property that's not worn down. I've never stayed at any of these before. The Carlton is clearly the most boutique, the Renaissance is brand new and the Fairfield offered the lowest price I could find in Midtown.

As a Platinum, I'll get an opportunity to try the Concierge Lounge at the Ren, get what the Fairfield offers as its free breakfast and get nothing but a room at the Carlton. Also to note that my room rate at the Ren offers two free beers (or soft drinks) at the "Thread" - which the hotel's website doesn't define.

The Ren is the closest to Penn Station which is where I'll likely disembark from the train. The Carlton is the closest to my meeting location which starts at 8:30 AM so I'm likely not going to spend a long time on breakfast unless I wake up at what will be an early time for someone travelling from the West Coast. And again the Fairfield is the Fairfield but its low rate makes this trip that much more affordable.

Anyway, I welcome any and all comments, recommendations and feedback.

David
Of these, I've only stayed in the Carlton. While there is no lounge, they do give gold and platinum members a breakfast buffet. On my first stay, I had a smallish room, with a bathroom with almost no storage and on the second stay I got a big room with a bathroom with a separate tub and shower. It's kind of cool, and they have a room with a coffee machine that's open all the time.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 9:21 am

I'd go for the Ren. As noted it's brand new & supposedly Marriott's done a bunch of 'innovative/next gen' stuff there. Another press release on it today (in the property thread). The Ren is only $11 more than FI & $63 less than Carlton.

Cheers.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
As a Platinum, I'll get an opportunity to try the Concierge Lounge at the Ren
Do we know the lounge is open yet? They're not selling lounge rooms in April as far as I could tell.

Regardless, I would still choose the Ren of those three. For convenience to Penn Station and because it looks like a pretty cool new property.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 9:42 am

BTW - NYC is getting 5 new hotels.

"5 new ground-up hotels to NYC. Marriott has given its blessing for five new hotels, two of which will be a dual-branded property on West 36th Street, the Commercial Observer reports.

The dual-branded hotel will be at 338 West 36th St, and includes a 286-room Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites at the bottom, and a 280-key Marriott SpringHill Suites on top. Other hotels planned as part of the agreement are a 350-room Marriott at the JFK International Airport, a 225-room Marriott Fairfield Inn at 538 West 58th St, and a 113-room Town Place Suites by Marriott at 322-326 West 44th St. the earliest arrival will be the Fairfield Inn at West 58th, which is scheduled to open in July."
Old Apr 7, 2016, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abbydancer
Of these, I've only stayed in the Carlton. While there is no lounge, they do give gold and platinum members a breakfast buffet. On my first stay, I had a smallish room, with a bathroom with almost no storage and on the second stay I got a big room with a bathroom with a separate tub and shower. It's kind of cool, and they have a room with a coffee machine that's open all the time.
Having stayed at two other Autograph properties, I'm more intrigued by the Carlton and more hopeful with a breakfast buffet option for Gold/Platinum.

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I'd go for the Ren. As noted it's brand new & supposedly Marriott's done a bunch of 'innovative/next gen' stuff there. Another press release on it today (in the property thread). The Ren is only $11 more than FI & $63 less than Carlton.
As not being a Millennial, I'm a bit hesitant with the Ren for that very reason - Marriott's interpretation of what's "innovative/next gen" is trending toward things that I despise - exemplified by the no desks, Aloft/AC Hotels, etc. crap. I concur with respect to the price differential versus Carlton.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Do we know the lounge is open yet? They're not selling lounge rooms in April as far as I could tell.

Regardless, I would still choose the Ren of those three. For convenience to Penn Station and because it looks like a pretty cool new property.
And, for me, the prospect of a Concierge Lounge in Midtown is the greatest appeal for the Ren. I'll try to give the Ren a call to find out the CL's status.

David
Old Apr 7, 2016, 4:14 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I can't speak to this Renaissance specifically, but neither of the two I've stayed at recently were geared towards millennials. They each had desks, no funky bathrooms or otherwise weird rooms or common areas. I have a third Renaissance stay coming up next month in fact, I really like the brand.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And, for me, the prospect of a Concierge Lounge in Midtown is the greatest appeal for the Ren. I'll try to give the Ren a call to find out the CL's status.
I just called - the Concierge Lounge is open and operational. I also noted in the hotel's thread that the lounge closes on Friday morning and then doesn't open again until Sunday at 5 PM.

Originally Posted by abbydancer
Having stayed at two other Autograph properties, I'm more intrigued by the Carlton and more hopeful with a breakfast buffet option for Gold/Platinum.
Also called the Carlton - breakfast benefit for Gold/Platinum is for two people/day for each day of your stay (weekdays and weekends). Indication was for continental breakfast at the Millesime restaurant. Website quotes $15 for continental and $25 for american breakfast.

David

Last edited by DELee; Apr 8, 2016 at 5:11 pm
Old Apr 15, 2016, 10:10 am

"Courtyard by Marriott Times Square West Welcomes Hockey Fans to New York City this Spring

It's hockey playoff time at Courtyard by Marriott Times Square West! Located a short five-minute walk to Madison Square Garden, Courtyard Times Square West is the ideal stay for all die-hard and not so die-hard hockey fans this playoff season. The hotel is offering exclusive room discounts and complimentary beverages for all fans that show their hockey pride. Courtyard Times Square West is offering 15% off a night for hockey fans to stay overnight during playoffs. Guests who wear their favorite hockey team gear at check in will receive one complimentary domestic beer at The Bistro; guest must be of legal age.

Read more: http://www.benzinga.com/pressrelease...#ixzz45uc9jUrD
Old Apr 16, 2016, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Decision: Ren Midtown

The three are:
Well, now I'm committed - just cancelled all reservations save one. Selected the Ren based on inputs here and checking reviews at multiple places - Carlton is due for a renovation starting later this year (feedback from Carlton's staff to a comment on Marriott's website).

My thanks to all who commented. I'll return back here and the hotel's thread after the stay.

David

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.