Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bakersfield Marriott at the Convention Center (California) [Master Thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 10, 15, 11:55 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Wiki Link
Hotel website: Bakersfield Marriott at the Convention Center

* Rollaway beds are not available for guest rooms with two queen beds.

* Microwaves are limited and are USD 10 per stay.
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 17, 08, 9:29 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05
Original Poster

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT

Just saw it listed on a search for next month, a full service Marriott in Bakersfield?!? Anyone know anything about this? I'm assuming it's a conversion from another property.
Old Oct 17, 08, 9:42 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, AS
Marriott is taking over the Holiday Inn Select at 800 Truxton, adjacent to the convention center. The re-branding was supposed to occur mid-summer but has been delayed again and again.

We were there last weekend (still the HI) and the place was a disaster under construction. The whole lobby was gutted, floors were stripped to concrete, check-in was at a couple of card tables, etc. Food service was attempted in a small conference aroom and a buffet table was set up down the hallway to the convention center, but was woefully inadequate. The hotel was absolutely full and should not have even been open. Staff wore shirts saying something about being a Marriott in the near future and they did the best they could.

Apparently some rooms had been redone, ours had not.

I believe that they are still hoping for the change to Marriott by the end of the month.
Old Oct 17, 08, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. The rebranding I'm assuming will be complete by the end of the month since I was able to book a room here for the first week in November. There is no mention on the website about construction but from the sounds of it, it won't be completed by then?
Old Oct 18, 08, 12:13 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; Plat Marriott
Should be a Marriott by 10/30

I spoke to one of the rev managers last week. She said they should be completed by 10/30/08. She said the work is nonstop and they have made remarkable improvements and the rooms are beautiful. She said most employees are staying...some are not.

This will be a Category 4, FS and it supposed to have a really nice gym and an executive lounge.

We are staying for business the first week of December. I know the one major complaint about this property, currently, is the noise from the train. Depending on where your room is....it appears to be a really awful distraction. I need to find out where I will be the least affected because there have been reports where folks stated they didn't hear the train at all! Location, location, location, I suppose.

I'll let you know....looking forward to a FS Marriott.

Dawn
Old Nov 17, 08, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Staying here as I write this and overall quite impressed. The conversion seems to be complete although they are still using the HI Select Keying system (as noted by the front desk clerk having to swipe a HI Select Key before issuing mine). Suites (only 9 of them) are handled by the Sales Department so no luck in getting upgraded to one (kind of a bummer after being a roll the past couple of nights in scoring suites) but did receive an upgrade to a concierge level room on the eighth floor (out of nine). Standard new Marriott setup with an extremely comfortable bed (nice new fluffy pillows ). The soundproofing from the rooms above and the hallway are a little intrusive but not much within the hotel's control. Other than the lounge access, the small perks that set CL rooms aside are missing at this property (no mouthwash, shower gel, or free bottled waters) but not a big deal (do we really even notice these things?). Evening lounge offerings were outstanding early on (standard fare of meats, cheese, etc) with Steak/Chicken Kabobs and Mussels but changed later on to fried Chinese dumplings. The lounge was out of bottled water though and the attendant stated that they didn't have any to replenish it (a bit odd). The BEST part of this hotel though and what sets it over the top is the staff . Had a problem with the initial room I was given and then with the internet service in the new room. Everyone from the AYS agent to the bellman to the engineer was extremely friendly. Upon going up to the lounge, the attendant saw me coming and opened the door for me before I could even slide my card. Everything was answered with "yes sir" which I found really impressive (albeit a bit too much over the top given that per a conversation I overheard him having with a couple of other guests, I'm only a year older than him and this made me feel much older than him). Platinum amenity delivered on time with a call beforehand to make sure that it was okay to deliver and to ask if there was anything else I would like before they delivered it. Room Service attendant very friendly and efficient. Cheese and cracker plate a step above the standard slice of brie and box of crackers that are becoming more and more common. Nice fresh sliced strawberry (yes one), apple, and blueberries along with a small slice of brie, mozzarella, and boursin. Definitely a nice addition to the Marriott portfolio in the otherwise lacking Bakersfield area
Old Aug 29, 13, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Did one night here last weekend on the way to Las Vegas. Was given a quiet room on the concierge floor (9). As the lounge was closed, I was offered choice of 750 points or buffet breakfast. I selected the breakfast which would ordinarily be $14. Both it and my tip showed up on the bill. The breakfast portion was removed. Strangely, the voucher they gave me said tip was included, but on check-in I was told by the agent it was not, and at the restaurant the hostess told me it was, so not sure really what the policy is here and just paid it so I could depart. I'm normally a Hyatt guest where the tip would be covered for elites on a restaurant breakfast. I have Marriott Gold status.

Area around the hotel looked pretty quiet as there are civic buildings with no weekend activity. Lobby bar was very busy when I arrived around 9p.m. Large parking lot with plenty of outdoor parking at the rear door.

View from 9th floor towards front of hotel:

Old Aug 29, 13, 2:09 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat
Ah. My beautiful hometown.

Ha. Funny to see it here.
Old Aug 29, 13, 10:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the trip report/photos. If the cert said gratuity was included & the restaurant manager said the same I would have told the FDC to take it off the bill.

Cheers.
Old Feb 25, 14, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold, United Silver, SW A-list, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
We had a one night stay at this property last week. For the night we needed, the Marriott was cheaper than Courtyard, Fairfield Inn, and Residence Inn! So that was the bright spot in our stay. Typical Marriott room - Tom911 posted a pic above which looked like our room.

We were told we'd been upgraded to a room on the 9th floor (Concierge level). Our room shared a wall with the elevator shaft. It was LOUD. We could hear the constant swooshing of the elevator as it went up & down, with a periodic thunk as it stopped. I knew I wouldn't get a wink of sleep in that room, so hubby called down and was told the only other rooms left were queen bed rooms on floors 2-4. We decided that was better than the elevator shaft, so we headed back down to the lobby. In the intervening 5 minutes they had found a king room on the 4th floor.

After we were settled in our new room, the stay was uneventful. Decent (not great) breakfast in the lounge with scrambled eggs and bacon. No yogurt was on display, and when asked, the attendant said that the entire hotel was out of yogurt. ??

Not a terrific stay, but based on the price and the limited options in Bakersfield, I'm sure we'll be back. Next time we'll check in before going to dinner - I guess being the last Plat guest to check in, at about 9PM, is how we ended up with the elevator-adjacent room.
Old Feb 25, 14, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ehallison View Post
No yogurt was on display, and when asked, the attendant said that the entire hotel was out of yogurt. ??
This reminds me of when the entire hotel was out of bottled water when I stayed a few years back
Old Mar 7, 14, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold, United Silver, SW A-list, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NDDomer86 View Post
This reminds me of when the entire hotel was out of bottled water when I stayed a few years back
Haha, I missed that in your post. I guess they still haven't worked out the purchasing kinks.
Old Apr 2, 14, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriot, Hilton
i stayed here last weekend. i thought it was a pretty decent option for the price, $84. free breakfast on weekends with lounge closed was also pretty good. omelette was much better than i expected. free parking too
Old Apr 2, 14, 10:17 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
This property is not half bad. Have stayed here twice... One nice thing is that it is RIGHT next to the train station. For you SF Bay Area natives like myself, the train to Bako is very convenient, and it has wifi and you can just work / play on it the entire time. And then boom - train drops you off right in front of the Marriott - nice!
Old Jul 8, 15, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Was updating the exec lounge sticky for all full-service properties in California (phew! - lot of properties). Anyway, I noticed when I clicked on view rates for the Bakersfield, CA, Marriott the following (see below). It shows at the top of the screen after you click view rates & it brings up all the various room types/rates.

Rollaway beds are not available for guest rooms with two queen beds. Microwaves are limited and are USD 10 per stay.
Old Jul 10, 15, 4:46 pm

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Yes that's matched what it was like last year - I reported it that I stayed there May 2014. We had a room right across the exec floor and it was 2 queens without a microwave (didn't ask for it as it costs $10). The lounge was pretty weak compared to others - there was no hot food at the cocktail hours.
However the drink selection was amazing - there were juice in the fridges!

Search this Thread