FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Sheraton Raleigh Hotel [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/865666-sheraton-raleigh-hotel-master-thread.html)

Zacnlinc Sep 12, 2008 4:07 pm

Sheraton Raleigh Hotel [Master Thread]

I've stayed at this hotel several times and each time there tends to be some sort of "problem" either during the check-in or with my bill (once they had me listed in three different rooms during a four night stay I was there!!)

The latest "issue" is that the front desk staffers looked at me as if I was speaking another language when I inquired about the Plat Amenities... Instead of beating a horse dead I opted to call the Concierge to rectify the situation.

It almost at the stage that I will not stay at this property anymore when I'm in the area. I cannot wait until the new properties open in the downtown area.

Anyone else have issues with this property?

sbtinme Sep 12, 2008 4:20 pm

I'm glad you called the Concierge line to report this fiasco.

I don't have experience at this hotel, but I had this very same scenario play out each time I stayed at the now-gone Sheraton Milford MA. It was almost as if I were on Candid Camera! I'd just get blank stares from minimum-wage paid front line staff when I'd tell them I'd take the 500 amenity points.

When I asked for a manager and was met with the same quizzical, questioning look I simply called the Plat line to report the ineptness of the front desk.

By any standard, this points to serious failure of the hotel's management to properly train their front line staff -- probably my single greatest frustration.

Zacnlinc Sep 12, 2008 4:31 pm

I will have to agree with you... Staff training is seriously needed at some of the US sites.

I just returned from France and Germany and was very pleased with each of my stays at Starwood Properties. No drama of any sort. I was upgraded on the spot each time. I was even asked to switch rooms in order to have the king size bed as they wanted me to be "comfortable" during my stay. Such a different experience...

SCPigskinPrep Sep 12, 2008 10:12 pm

One time staying in Raleigh at the Sheraton, I was offered a date.

Walking across the street from the parking lot to the entrance, about half a dozen professionals were standing on the sidewalk offering their services. I just ignored them but there were 2 Sheraton employees who heard the whole thing and starting laughing. That made me mad and I spoke to the manager. They offered 5000 points.

2 stays ago after coming back from dinner, my key would not work. It took almost an hour for maintenance to get me back into my room with the lock broken.

Construction has been on going at the new convention center for over 2 years. They start at 7 and the work is loud enough to wake you on the top floor.

The best thing to ever happen to me there was a free ticket from the manager to see Batman on the IMAX right down the street. Neat watching the show on the big screen.

8 for 8 in upgrades to club floor but 0 for 8 in suite upgrades. I have asked for corner rooms and they seem to be larger with more windows.

Lounge is OK, parking is overpriced, the working girls are mouthy and pushy:p

EWC-JMU Sep 13, 2008 8:50 am

Originally Posted by SCPigskinPrep (Post 10361505)
One time staying in Raleigh at the Sheraton, I was offered a date.

Walking across the street from the parking lot to the entrance, about half a dozen professionals were standing on the sidewalk offering their services. I just ignored them but there were 2 Sheraton employees who heard the whole thing and starting laughing. That made me mad and I spoke to the manager. They offered 5000 points.

2 stays ago after coming back from dinner, my key would not work. It took almost an hour for maintenance to get me back into my room with the lock broken.

Construction has been on going at the new convention center for over 2 years. They start at 7 and the work is loud enough to wake you on the top floor.

The best thing to ever happen to me there was a free ticket from the manager to see Batman on the IMAX right down the street. Neat watching the show on the big screen.

8 for 8 in upgrades to club floor but 0 for 8 in suite upgrades. I have asked for corner rooms and they seem to be larger with more windows.

Lounge is OK, parking is overpriced, the working girls are mouthy and pushy:p

Well, you'll be happy to know that the new convention center here is finished and just had its gala grand opening this past week. I don't know if any of your lady friends attended. ;)

ldsant Sep 13, 2008 1:41 pm

Wow - guess things change quickly. I basically "lived" there for 3 months when I moved to Raleigh for a contract position about 2.5 years ago - although there were certain problems overall it was a nice hotel and the staff treated me OK. Too bad to hear that they aren't as they were.

Helena Handbaskets Sep 14, 2008 2:45 pm

I've stayed there about 3x a year for the last 3 or 4 years and have never had a problem. I've had a couple of suite upgrades, and last time they upgraded me to the Governor's Suite. Man that was a great upgrade! I'm not contesting other posters' experiences, but just providing a counterbalance.

Now watch... my stay in November will probably be full of problems!

Zacnlinc Sep 18, 2008 11:09 am

Yeah.. I the construction was a nightmare indeed... Luckily I was up when they started with all that hammering and drilling too..

Anyway.. Looks like my travels will have me returning to RDU area soon. Can't wait until the new *wood properties are built and more options are available... Too bad I'd have to stay closer to RDU than in the city though... Oh well.. C'est la vie..

Wish me luck with checking and out without any problems this time..

wigstheone Apr 17, 2009 5:38 am

Stayed over April 16-17. Was upgraded to the Presidential Suite (1629), which is very nicely appointed, with a living room area, dining room area, wet bar, and completely separate bedroom and bathroom. Only complaint is that the wireless signal is spotty and generally weak -- this has been a recurring problem at the hotel on previous stays regardless of the computer I was using. Looking forward to having the Westin as a newer option.

NDDomer86 Feb 11, 2010 2:47 am

Does anyone have any recent experience here? I see they have upgraded their television sets.

Redhead Feb 11, 2010 3:10 am

Not the same hotel, but the 4 Points by the airport is quite nice. Brand new building, friendly staff, nice rooms. If the Sheraton has issues and you want Starwood points, consider the 4 points

TCnSanDiegoCA Feb 11, 2010 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Redhead (Post 13369232)
Not the same hotel, but the 4 Points by the airport is quite nice. Brand new building, friendly staff, nice rooms. If the Sheraton has issues and you want Starwood points, consider the 4 points

Thanks for the comments on the new 4 Points! I travel to Raleigh several times a year, and I'm looking forward to trying out the two new SPG properties in the area (4 Points Raleigh-Cary and 4 Points Raleigh-Durham Airport). I've always had good experiences with the 4 Points Durham, but both these are better locations for me. I'm booked there for a couple of nights later this month, looking forward to my first visit.

I like Sheraton Raleigh well enough, but the parking charges are annoying.

Helena Handbaskets Feb 12, 2010 11:18 am

Originally Posted by TCnSanDiegoCA (Post 13370599)
Thanks for the comments on the new 4 Points! I travel to Raleigh several times a year, and I'm looking forward to trying out the two new SPG properties in the area (4 Points Raleigh-Cary and 4 Points Raleigh-Durham Airport). I've always had good experiences with the 4 Points Durham, but both these are better locations for me. I'm booked there for a couple of nights later this month, looking forward to my first visit.

I like Sheraton Raleigh well enough, but the parking charges are annoying.

Please report back and let us know what you think of the new 4 Pts properties. I haven't seen much on these here yet.

cherribabe Feb 19, 2010 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets (Post 13378525)
Please report back and let us know what you think of the new 4 Pts properties. I haven't seen much on these here yet.

I'd love to know too. I'm booked at the 4 pts Cary and the Raleigh Sheraton for 3/2-3/4 and I'm trying to figure out which reservation to keep and which to cancel.

TCnSanDiegoCA Feb 19, 2010 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by cherribabe (Post 13423170)
I'd love to know too. I'm booked at the 4 pts Cary and the Raleigh Sheraton for 3/2-3/4 and I'm trying to figure out which reservation to keep and which to cancel.

I'll be in the area 2/25 through 3/1, but I'll try to post something before your stay. I'm making this an MR for stay credits - Cary location Thursday, Airport location Friday, Raleigh on Saturday night (free parking on weekends and lot s of fun places to walk to on Saturday night), then back at Cary location on Sunday. The Raleigh location has a great weekend rate of $95, but charges for internet (they have free PC/internet access in the lobby), while the 4Points both offer free internet and free parking. I got a nice rate at the Cary 4Points, $99 for a King with sofa, includes a hot breakfast for two and half price beer! ^

The Raleigh location is great for downtown activities, walking to restaurants, convention center, Progress Energy Auditorium, etc. Accomodations are nice, but nothing special. I believe the Cary 4 Points is near the Crossroads Plaza, so there will be tons of nearby shopping, restaurants, etc. This is a personal visit, so I don't mind hopping around as I'll be leaving each morning and returning in the evenings, plus I'm traveling light - 1 bag and a couple of cameras - and I'm anxious to compare the properties.

If it were me, I'd probably gamble on the Cary location, just because it's newer, unless you'll be spending a lot of time in downtown Raleigh.

OT: Must be a slow period for travelers in Raleigh, I got a full-size car from Budget for $16/day. I've never had a rate that cheap in Raleigh.