W Scottsdale [Master Thread]

Old Sep 5, 08, 3:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Arrow W Scottsdale [Master Thread]

W Hotel Scottsdale opened (finally) today, Sept. 5.

I drove by yesterday and I must say that it had to have taken a herculean effort to get from where things appeared yesterday to a grand opening today.

Here's a story from the front page of the Arizona Republic.

W Hotel raises wow factor in Scottsdale

by Megan Finnerty
The Arizona Republic

When the W Scottsdale Hotel & Residences opens today, it will bring to Old Town three upscale bars, the Los Angeles-based, style-conscious restaurant Sushi Roku and 224 rooms with buzz-worthy design. But it also will usher in an era of $26 overnight valet parking and $559-a-night hotel rooms.

The swanky international chain is credited with developing the boutique-hotel market, emphasizing a hip, edgy vibe through innovative decor and splashy bars and restaurants. W Hotels are known to elevate the quality of nightlife where they open, and bar and hotel managers throughout Scottsdale have been preparing since Triyar Hospitality LLC broke ground for the W in 2005.

Neighboring Axis/Radius nightclub spent $1.5 million on a remodel in 2006 with the Starwood Hotels & Resorts-run property in mind.

The nearby Mondrian Scottsdale hotel revamped its pool, turning it into a Skybar similar to the one at its sister Los Angeles property, and upgraded Asia de Cuba's patio to increase the restaurant's capacity and year-round usage. Randy Smith, who owns the nearby, elegant SIX Lounge, has been working with promoters to elevate SIX's image and keep the right kind of well-dressed, free-spending clients in his club so it feels right for W guests.

But all this comes at a price. (See the entire story here.)
And in the business section of today's Republic:

A home with top-of-the-line hotel perks
Opening of W Hotel puts more high-end condos on the market

by Peter Corbett
The Arizona Republic

Hotels have long sold cushy robes and beauty products to their guests. Even their beds are for sale nowadays.

The idea is that if guests liked their hotel "experience," then why not sell some of it to them to take home?

That, of course, has been supersized as hotels now offer the whole suite, with sales of luxury condominiums.

Owners with deep pockets get all the hotel amenities - restaurants, room service and spa - with their condo keys.

W Scottsdale Hotel & Residences, set to open today, is the latest to tap into this emerging real-estate niche.

Los Angeles-based Triyar Hospitality Inc., the hotel owner, is offering 18 residences atop its sleek glass and steel hotel southeast of Scottsdale and Camelback roads.

The seven-story W will have 224 hotel rooms.

W's 18 residences will be among the costliest condos in a pricey Scottsdale condo market. (See read the full story here.)
Old Sep 5, 08, 3:37 pm
Community Director

It's currently a level 5 (12K SPG points/night).
Old Sep 5, 08, 4:24 pm

Programs: AC 50K, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Fairmont Platinum
I'm there next week but it's hard to justify the W over the others in the area with C&P and better rates. I'm surprised they're opening so high... good for them if it's booked!
Old Sep 5, 08, 6:18 pm

Reservations will be taken for check in on September 11th. The hotel is still not 100% complete, but is looking great!
Old Sep 5, 08, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

$26 for parking? In Scottsdale????
Old Oct 19, 08, 7:06 am

Spent last weekend at this property, and on the whole, had a great stay.

Got an e-mail up front advising that although the hotel was open, their suites weren't ready yet - which they'd normally look to upgrade Plats to. Popped in whilst staying at the Phoenician, just to reassure ourselves that the hotel was actually finished (which it is fundamentally, soft furnishing of the suites aside). Got a tour of the hotel, and the staff couldn't be more helpful.

Upgraded to a Fabulous room, with a patio on the Zen garden. Room was a good size, shower (no bath) and an outdoor shower on the patio.

It's fair to say the W is something of a hot spot on the Scottsdale night life circuit. If you're a light sleeper, I'd suggest staying elsewhere, or at the very least getting a room well back from the pool area. The party continues to 4am or thereabouts on a Friday & Saturday night. Our Zen garden room was close enough to hear a bit of background noise, but not sufficient to prevent sleeping (phew!).

Staff are unfailingly helpful, and very keen to assist. For example we wondered about spending some time using the pools at the Kierland (sitting on Sunset Beach next to the beautiful people gets a bit tiring after 3 days ). All arranged no problem at all, with no fuss.

Only grumble was the pool temperature - bit on the chilly side. Whilst a heated pool might not seem a necessity, I reckon the W's pool was down in the 55F range - parky!

Parking is indeed $26 a night (valet), but the valet team is good, never any issues having the car there promptly ^
Old Oct 28, 08, 8:42 pm

Programs: UAL 1P, *wood Platinum
I stayed there about a month ago. The place was in great shape since it was new. the rooms were kind of interesting where it's a big square. The bathroom, shower and bathroom sinks were separated from the rest of the room using a big glass sliding door, very swanky. I can't believe the rates they're charging though. I forget what I paid but it was in the 200s, but in checking the rates now, I think they're over 300! Interestingly the place felt fairly deserted.

Sushi Roku is in the hotel. Good restaurant if you're into more "new style" sushi. I was served by a real japanese sushi chef (imagine that)..they even imported him all the way from ... pasadena (for the week).

Overall, nice hotel, but for my overnight business trips, I'll save over $100 and stay at the Sheraton.
Old Nov 9, 08, 7:11 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Just stayed

Checked in this weekend at the W Scottsdale for a Saturday night, all in all, a pretty nice stay.

As Plat was not offered an upgrade to a suite to Zen Garden room, but given our timing and amount of time actually in the room, I didn't make an issue of it. I did notice however that there were 2 suites available for booking on the SPG website.

Concierge (and all staff) were great - found us a very cool sushi spot (Stingray) and didn't push on Sushi Roku. Great restaurant within a 10 minute walk from the hotel and definitely a great price point.

Valet service was excellent, car was ready each time we called down and (best of all) for some reason it did not show up on the folio, so we tipped graciously of course!

Room (338) was at the very end of the hall, away from the street and pool, very quiet, even with window open all night.

Pool bar was great at night, and pool on a Sunday afternoon was sunny and not too busy... in general, apart from the nightlife, the hotel did not seem at capacity.

All and all, very nice new hotel, great location and would stay again.

T.
Old Jan 11, 09, 11:57 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Post Lawsuit threatens foreclosure of W Scottsdale

In today's Arizona Republic. . .
W hotel parties dispute payment
Developer, contractors in $20 million battle

by Dawn Gilbertson

The Arizona Republic

Hunt Construction Group shows off the luxury JW Marriott Desert Ridge and Sheraton Wild Horse Pass resorts in the portfolio of projects on its Web site. But there are no snapshots of its latest hometown hotel project: the trendy W Scottsdale.

Hunt and the hotel's developer, Triyar Hospitality, are locked in a legal battle that threatens foreclosure of the 224-room property and hangs a cloud of uncertainty over it during an already challenging time for hotels.

At issue in the case: $20 million Hunt says is still owed for work on the hotel, which opened in early September after repeated delays. It is Arizona's first W, the hip sister to the Sheraton and Westin chains, and became an instant social hotspot with its sushi restaurant and bars. . . (See the entire article here.)
Old Jan 21, 09, 3:29 pm

Programs: Starwood Hotels, Alaska Air, Delta/Northwest Air
Foreclosure Begins on W Scottsdale

http://www.azcentral.com/business/ar...sdale0122.html

HSH Nordbank,a German lender, filed a notice of trustee's sale, the legal precursor to a forced sale of the 224-roomproperty near Scottsdale Fashion Square. A public auction is scheduled for April 15 unless the matter is resolved before then or the auction is postponed.

Old Jan 21, 09, 6:14 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Well that was quick... didn't this place just open less than a year ago?
Old Jan 21, 09, 6:17 pm

Programs: SPG LTP
What will this mean for W Scottsdale Insider?
Old Jan 21, 09, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Sam P. Goodman View Post
He'll be an outsider?
Old Jan 21, 09, 8:25 pm

Well Hello There,

First everyone knows I dont work there, but I might need to change my handle. I dont think the hotel will close, but who knows. As Starwood only manages it, it wouldn't be that big of a deal as several hotels leave starwood each year
Old Jan 21, 09, 8:43 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: National Executive, AAdvantage Platinum, SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Sam P. Goodman View Post
Handle changed to History of former W Scottsdale Insider. Kind of long I know.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: