Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Cutting Corners - On Toilet Paper and ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Cutting Corners - On Toilet Paper and ..

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2008, 4:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Seriously, I hadn't noticed this latest cost-cutting measure. I also doubt whether this has caused any significant inconvenience for anyone.

That said, as I've posted in other threads, cost-cutting of any sort can be cause for concern...including this example. I don't mind when steps are taken to keep a lid on costs, while holding the line on room rates. But from my observation with Marriott-branded hotels, this usually doesn't seem to be the case.

I understand that a number of properties have had significant refurbishments and upgrades. I appreciate that. But in most instances those have come with room rate increases that far exceed the rate of inflation. One property I use frequently has doubled the room rate over the the past couple of years. This one hasn't upgraded anything except their drain on my travel budget.

One would think that the hefty rate increases should be enough to cover the apparently serious spiralling cost of decent toilet paper!

(Meanwhile, I'l now travel fully prepared to go across the street and use the men's room at the Hilton.)

Last edited by cyberdad; Sep 1, 2008 at 5:00 pm
Old Sep 1, 2008, 5:02 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Truly, I hadn't noticed anything but bathroom bottles not being replenished daily (even if out), no sheet changing and no paper yesterday (Sunday). CL offerings are so varied from property to property its hard to tell. Definitely food cutbacks at RI's.

And as you note, room rates clearly outstripped inflation over the last 3 years and are nothing but greed. Doubled indeed. Apparently they have nothing to do with underlying costs but all with supply and demand. So they'll sing the blues over the next few years and blame the economy and the moon when we wise up and stay home.

$400+ a night in NYC and they dicker over the size of TP? Come on.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 9:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
I haven't noticed the new toilet paper, but I don't stay that much at CYs. Everything else that the OP mentioned about CYs has existed since my first CY stay in 2003. I don't think the toilet paper is that thin at a CY.

Now, the RCC is another story with regards to the thinness of toilet paper. I discovered at the SEA RCC this July how cheap UA is with regards to toilet paper. I had to use 4 times the regular amount to get the same level of thickness. A Kleenex from a FI is probably thicker than the "toilet paper" UA has at the SEA RCC.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 8:23 am

As I posted earlier, FS properties have switched to new bars of soap that have been carved out on one side.

Pathetic...
Old Sep 2, 2008, 8:52 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by randomman
As I posted earlier, FS properties have switched to new bars of soap that have been carved out on one side.

Pathetic...
Since most of my stays are 1-2 days it doesn't bother me. I can't use whole bar of soap in such short time. Less to fill the landfill I suppose.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by iztok
Since most of my stays are 1-2 days it doesn't bother me. I can't use whole bar of soap in such short time. Less to fill the landfill I suppose.
OT, but I always take all the soaps and bottles every day and stick them in my suitcase. Once home, they go into two large vases in the guest bathroom or a large box. A few times a year, all those soaps and bottles go to a homeless shelter or Ronald McDonald House.

When I worked in the office, everyone who traveled regularly would do the same. On "delivery day" some people would also bake stuff to bring over to the families.

When Katrina hit a couple years ago, the shelter actually emailed me and asked if I had any supply. (This shelter was usually only open in the winter, but was quickly pulling stuff together to take in some hurricane victims.) I did, and ran it right over.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by CJKatl
OT, but I always take all the soaps and bottles every day and stick them in my suitcase. Once home, they go into two large vases in the guest bathroom or a large box. A few times a year, all those soaps and bottles go to a homeless shelter or Ronald McDonald House.
I do the same thing.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
Originally Posted by CJKatl
I'm gonna say this carefully as I in no way doubt your motive to help others. But this is not "borrowing", it is "taking" and in the end, it all becomes a cost of business which is passed along to customers ( let's face it, hotels simply add all costs of all forms of taking/breaking to the bill of every customer). I'm not saying that you're breaking the bank here, but it is what it is.

Why not just cut a check to your favorite charity who can better leverage the purchasing power? There is no such thing as a free ride in economics. I guess that one could say that they are leveraging the cost the hotel builds into the room, but this sort of stuff becomes a never-ending cycle. Once again, I'm not trying to condescend, but I giving my own earnest take on this practice.

Barry
Old Sep 2, 2008, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by jerseyfinn
I'm gonna say this carefully as I in no way doubt your motive to help others. But this is not "borrowing", it is "taking" and in the end, it all becomes a cost of business which is passed along to customers ( let's face it, hotels simply add all costs of all forms of taking/breaking to the bill of every customer). I'm not saying that you're breaking the bank here, but it is what it is.

Why not just cut a check to your favorite charity who can better leverage the purchasing power? There is no such thing as a free ride in economics. I guess that one could say that they are leveraging the cost the hotel builds into the room, but this sort of stuff becomes a never-ending cycle. Once again, I'm not trying to condescend, but I giving my own earnest take on this practice.

Barry
I've read somewhere that even Mr. Marriott is ok with taking the bottles. Read here in FT at least
Old Sep 2, 2008, 4:01 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by jerseyfinn

Barry
As I understand it, the soaps and bottles are already built into my rate each night.

It's not like I'm raiding the maid's cart. (Shout out to a certain "uncle" of mine who used to do that!) It's not that I'm stealing the sheets or the towels. (Shout out to my childhood friend whose last name began with "S" whose parents stole a crested Sheraton shower curtain for their home.) I'm taking something that was allocated to me and reflected within the rate.

I never claimed to be "borrowing" these things. I'm "taking" what is meant to be taken. That's not stealing.

Oh, and while I do "cut a check" to various charities throughout the year - including the umbrella organization that runs the shelter that gets my soaps - I also work at the shelter two or three nights during the winter with a group of friends. While the shelter does need money, it needs people to be there all night even more. This particular shelter has two full-time people and five or six volunteers per night, every night, from October through April. It's a family shelter, which is quite unusual around here. In the past several years, staffing has not been an issue because people have been very good about scheduling and volunteering their time.

BTW, it's loathesome when people equate being charitable to cutting a check. Like it's someone else's job to actually help out.

Last edited by CJKatl; Sep 2, 2008 at 9:13 pm
Old Sep 2, 2008, 8:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
What's wrong with taking an opened bottle with some of its contents remaining?
Old Sep 2, 2008, 11:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by iztok
I've read somewhere that even Mr. Marriott is ok with taking the bottles. Read here in FT at least
I mentioned that because I read it in an interview w/ Mr. Marriott. He said that they included the shampoo, etc, in cost of doing bizness & it was ok to take those. However, that did not extend to the robes, slippers, ironing boards, iron, coffee pots, etc.

BTW - I like the LaSource stuff at Hilton & while I donate most things to a local shelter I keep the LaSource for myself Marriott offerings are all over the place, so up in the air on whether I keep those or donate to the local women's shelter.

Now that I know the TP is being cut back I'll leave that behind

Cheers.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Now that I know the TP is being cut back I'll leave that behind
Thanks for the morning laugh
Old Sep 3, 2008, 3:55 pm

Thanks Iztok. Then again, he knows its all written into the cost of the room. But hey, we here all like Marriott & that's why we stay at his properties. ^

Barry
Old Sep 3, 2008, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by [B
CJKatl[/B];10300187]

As I understand it, the soaps and bottles are already built into my rate each night . . . It's not like I'm raiding the maid's cart. . . . It's not that I'm stealing the sheets or the towels . . . . I'm taking something that was allocated to me and reflected within the rate . . . . I'm "taking" what is meant to be taken. That's not stealing . . . it's loathesome when people equate being charitable to cutting a check. Like it's someone else's job to actually help out.
Sorry that you loath me CJKatl. I sense a generational gap here so I'll leave things as they are. My words are clear, and so too are yours.

Barry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.