Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Hong Kong [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Absolutely baffled at the change to Cat8. The Ritz-Carlton is right next door and the St. Regis is opening soon.
I agree. I like the W, but it's not one of the very top hotels in Hong Kong.

However, remember that SPG always based category on projected room rates for the following year (more or less) while Marriott uses popularity for award bookings. The relative positions of hotels aren't the same under these two criterion. I'm not sure we know how Starriott/Bonvoy is determining categories.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:30 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I think the W is one of the top hotels in HK, but that's still not enough to make it a Cat8. The Ritz next door is nice, but not an order of magnitude better. Other luxury options are meh (MO is old, IC is a dump, Shangri-La is nothing special, the Pen is about the only truly luxurious hotel)
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by helvetic
I think the W is one of the top hotels in HK, but that's still not enough to make it a Cat8. The Ritz next door is nice, but not an order of magnitude better. Other luxury options are meh (MO is old, IC is a dump, Shangri-La is nothing special, the Pen is about the only truly luxurious hotel)
Don't personally feel W HK belongs with the best. Even if MO is old, MO Landmark is not. There's also Upper House and Four Seasons. Heck, I would rank Hotel Icon above W. The upcoming Rosewood and St.Regis will probably knock W further down the list.
Happy and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Personally, I'm a fan of the Peninsula. It's iconic and I like the location. I've had great experiences here, generally on FHR rates. The pool and some of the hotel's F&B outlets are wonderful, plus I've enjoyed a couple complementary special holiday Star Ferry cruises with champagne to enjoy the light show and even a historic double decker bus for transportation between hotel and the Star Ferry pier. It's changed over the years, but this is still one of the classic iconic luxury hotels in the world.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:18 am

Programs: Some
I like this hotel a lot, but agree that Category 8 is definitely overreaching given Category 7 was already potentially too pricey in my opinion. The only time I have ever made a redemption here was over NYE, at most times the cash price is already much more attractive than the points rate as a Category 7. RC / St. Regis at Category 8 and W at Category 7 makes a lot more sense, I have a feeling this is a quite short-term decision and once the St. Regis has been open for a while this place will be back to Category 7 again.

In my head, rough hotel groupings in Hong Kong are: UH/LMO > PEN/MO/FS > RC > W/IC/ISL
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:06 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Nice hotel but definitely not category 8 worthy. More like 6. Service and location pull it down.

​​​​​​
Happy likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:22 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
It worries me that if they classify this as a Cat 8 which it simply should not be that in a year or two there will be a lot more cat 8's and not very many 7's left!
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
It worries me that if they classify this as a Cat 8 which it simply should not be that in a year or two there will be a lot more cat 8's and not very many 7's left!
....and then category 9 and even10 will be introduced as an enhancement for us.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by DMSFCA
Yes - was just there two weeks ago. It's exactly as you remember, which is a good thing.

Every time I go to HK I think if I should try somewhere else but I love that the W is so easy to the airport, that mall has a good grocery store and train options and I really like the views of the bay from the rooms. I don't think as platinum I've ever gotten a comp upgrade better than a "view" room but I don't mind. I like the breakfast there, too. Those almond croissants are the first thing I grab.

I even like the smell of that place. I commented on it once to the F&B director and they gave me a room scent bottle to take home. They said it isn't available to the public normally but now my room at home smells like the W HK. Love it.
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Sammy and Lavin are great member of the F&B team indeed.

Lavin struck up a conversation with me at the bar once after noticing I was waiting for a long time to order a drink. Since then, when I check-in, there's a "martini kit" in my room. I will have to take note of the scent of the place next time I am there. I never really noticed it myself.

It's these kinds of little neat things about the place that keep me returning indeed.

Well, I went ahead and booked W HKG and added SNA's too. It was two days ago that my upgrade was confirmed. It was at least 10 day prior that my usual contacts reached out to me regarding my booking and welcoming me back.

Today I received a message from Sammy and noticed too that my reservation was changed and I'm now booked into a WOW corner suite!! I have this feeling I'm simply not going to want to leave the property again (as always is the case lately).

Guessing the only suite type I've not received (yet) is the extreme Wow suite... Aiming high...

Last edited by Zacnlinc; Feb 17, 2019 at 10:30 pm Reason: typo corrected
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Wow, that's amazing! Enjoy!
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriot Platinum
Does the W, Hong Kong has a Club which can be accessed as a Platinum?
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:12 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Definitely not, unfortunately. I got a card for a free drink at the bar and has some wine that was great, but no lounge.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:14 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
One thing I don't hear much is about the breakfast. I love it, it's one or the best of the W locations I've been and the views of the harbor are really pretty.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:19 am

The breakfast is indeed fantastic. One of the best in HK.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 7:43 pm

What suites are normally in the SNA pool? I'm not seeing the option on my upcoming reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.