Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Hong Kong [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Thanks. I won't be there on Friday so I'll take my chances. I spent two weeks in Tokyo having to transfer at Shinjuku there and back from the suburbs each day. Shinjuku turned out to be the part of Tokyo I enjoyed the most! I also spent 6 months in China so have a pretty good idea of how crazy crowds can get around public transport connections.
Dave510 likes this.
Old May 5, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Is cash and point ie $10K points and 180USD here a good deal? We like that the base room is 40 sq. m. Which is impressive for HK.

Never stayed at W before.

We know our way in HK as this is our 3rd time.
Old May 5, 2018, 6:54 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
Is cash and point ie $10K points and 180USD here a good deal? We like that the base room is 40 sq. m. Which is impressive for HK.

Never stayed at W before.

We know our way in HK as this is our 3rd time.
Depends on your valuation of SPG points. If you value them at 2˘ or more each, as I and many others do, then cash & points is a better deal than using all points. However at that valuation cash rates can also often end up being a better “deal” than cash & points or all points, especially if you’re willing to book a nonrefundable cash rate. Do check all the various taxes on each rate when making the assessment though. Ultimately it’s an expensive hotel.
Old May 7, 2018, 5:25 am

Programs: Some
So just wrapped up a quick stay here which was very good overall, but I think this hotel has become a little bit too careful with upgrades for its own good!

Booked a Cool Corner Room on a Luxury Privileges rate for one night (Sunday-Monday). Given the Cool Corner Room is one category below suites I figured that probably gave me a pretty good shot at an upgrade. Had a look at availability online just before I was due to check in and every room category was available for sale online with a single Fantastic Suite moving in and out of availability (at least 8 Marvelous Suites, plus the Wow Suites and Extreme Wow Suite still available for sale online).

At check in I was given no indication I was being upgraded, just a 'so you've chosen a Cool Corner Room?'. As a returning guest, Platinum, booking the category below suites on the most expensive flexible rate that includes a space available upgrade and also a one night stay starting Sunday on top of that I can't imagine there were many (any?) people in the queue for upgrades ahead of me, but didn't seem to be getting an upgrade. So, for the first time ever I politely asked whether an upgrade might be available given the rate I'd booked. Check in attendant had a look and very kindly moved me into a Marvelous Suite, which I really appreciated and it was a great room. Checked online again at about 9pm and there were still at least 8 Marvelous Suites available for sale, so it's not like they were giving them to someone else.

What gives - are they frightened of damage to the rooms? Who knows.
Zacnlinc and Isochronous like this.
Old May 7, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I also just got back from here and had minimal expectations of any real upgrade at checkin. Sure enough, I got.... a Wonderful room. Although the GM did come out to greet me personally.

As I was travelling alone I didn't bother pushing for anything.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
I arrived here this past Monday and to my surprise I was upgraded.

Booked a Fantastic suite and was upgraded to a slightly larger version of the same room. They've come to know me as I'm here at least every 6-8 weeks since Oct-2017. Getting either a corner room or Fantastic suite is what I'm bound to book as I like the space and the option of setting up an office in the room as I'm usually here 7-10 days at a time.

Think now they see my trend and are willing to upgrade me. Will be interesting to see what happens when I return as Plat come Aug./Sept. as I'm unexpectedly will be making that status this year.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Hi guys, looks like I'll be visiting this hotel for about 10 days in mid-August. I got booked into a Wonderful room with a king bed - city view. I'm a SPG Platinum with Ambassador -- any idea if I will get an upgrade potentially to a suite? Already closing in on another 100 nights this year (sigh)...
Old Sep 11, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
Anybody have any general guesses on Suite availability Sun-Tues? Are most of the suites booked on the weekends or during the week?

I'm hoping arrival on a Sunday means a lot of folks checking out, and gives me a good shot at a suite upgrade. Going in a few weeks and still see 15 fantastic suites for sale.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 2:07 am

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
New GM is incoming. Peter left for Park Hyatt in Shenzhen. Big Loss.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:33 am

Anyone have a recent stay at this property? It's been my go-to spot each time I'm there in HKG. Was looking to explore elsewhere, but just cannot shake the very good customer service I've received there for the past 12 stays in 2 years.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Anyone have a recent stay at this property? It's been my go-to spot each time I'm there in HKG. Was looking to explore elsewhere, but just cannot shake the very good customer service I've received there for the past 12 stays in 2 years.
Yes - was just there two weeks ago. It's exactly as you remember, which is a good thing.

Every time I go to HK I think if I should try somewhere else but I love that the W is so easy to the airport, that mall has a good grocery store and train options and I really like the views of the bay from the rooms. I don't think as platinum I've ever gotten a comp upgrade better than a "view" room but I don't mind. I like the breakfast there, too. Those almond croissants are the first thing I grab.

I even like the smell of that place. I commented on it once to the F&B director and they gave me a room scent bottle to take home. They said it isn't available to the public normally but now my room at home smells like the W HK. Love it.
Zacnlinc and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by DMSFCA
Yes - was just there two weeks ago. It's exactly as you remember, which is a good thing.

Every time I go to HK I think if I should try somewhere else but I love that the W is so easy to the airport, that mall has a good grocery store and train options and I really like the views of the bay from the rooms. I don't think as platinum I've ever gotten a comp upgrade better than a "view" room but I don't mind. I like the breakfast there, too. Those almond croissants are the first thing I grab.

I even like the smell of that place. I commented on it once to the F&B director and they gave me a room scent bottle to take home. They said it isn't available to the public normally but now my room at home smells like the W HK. Love it.
Sammy and Lavin are great member of the F&B team indeed.

Lavin struck up a conversation with me at the bar once after noticing I was waiting for a long time to order a drink. Since then, when I check-in, there's a "martini kit" in my room. I will have to take note of the scent of the place next time I am there. I never really noticed it myself.

It's these kinds of little neat things about the place that keep me returning indeed.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
This property is changing from Cat 7 to Cat 8 [70,000 off-peak ;; 85,000 standard ;; 100,000 peak]. I like this hotel, but I really don't see it as on-par with some of the top/most luxurious properties in the system.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:45 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by asf-07
This property is changing from Cat 7 to Cat 8 [70,000 off-peak ;; 85,000 standard ;; 100,000 peak]. I like this hotel, but I really don't see it as on-par with some of the top/most luxurious properties in the system.
Agreed. I already often found it a stretch to justify burning points here (vs. the prevailing cash rate) at 60K Marriot / 20K SPG points; I'm sure sometimes its cash rates get high enough that 85K points would make sense, but I can't imagine that's often the case. Especially once the St. Regis opens and will presumably cost the same number of points, since it can't get any higher (for now at least); the Ritz-Carlton next door might also be tempting if one were going to burn that many points, though the weak elite benefits at R-C would weigh against that.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Absolutely baffled at the change to Cat8. The Ritz-Carlton is right next door and the St. Regis is opening soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.