Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Hong Kong [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Anyone have any recent experience of being able to check in early? I will be arriving at the W on Friday maybe before 9 AM (my flight is scheduled to arrive at 7:25 but on recent trips from LAX, we've been arriving at least 1 - 1.5 hrs early. Have late morning meetings but was hoping to at least freshen up.

Thanks,
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:02 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Anyone have any recent experience of being able to check in early? I will be arriving at the W on Friday maybe before 9 AM (my flight is scheduled to arrive at 7:25 but on recent trips from LAX, we've been arriving at least 1 - 1.5 hrs early. Have late morning meetings but was hoping to at least freshen up.

Thanks,
Anything is possible - but you'll most likely struggle at the time. My last two stays I was unable to check in even at 1.00 pm - but this was waiting for a Marvellous Suite. You shouldn't have a problem using the spa/gym area to freshen up.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by chad75
Anything is possible - but you'll most likely struggle at the time. My last two stays I was unable to check in even at 1.00 pm - but this was waiting for a Marvellous Suite. You shouldn't have a problem using the spa/gym area to freshen up.
Thank you!! If an upgrade is coming my way, I’ll wait and use he gym/spa indeed!!

Last month, I stayed at the HGI in Mongkok and had to wait until around 2 pm to check in. Arriving at the hotel around 8AM was my painful moment. They took my luggage and off I went to meetings. Returned to hotel around 1:30 and asked to wait in lobby as something should be available very soon.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 9:45 pm

Well, here I go again back to HKG and am expecting to stay at the W again.

last stay in January was great. Didn't get an early check in but recall being in my room by 2 pm or so. Was given access to the men's spa area and pool to kill time which was very much appreciated indeed.

Will be heading back back next week and thought to check on this thread for any recent activity. Surprised to see my January post as the last post. Hmmmmm! LOL
Old Mar 4, 2018, 12:45 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Well, here I go again back to HKG and am expecting to stay at the W again.

last stay in January was great. Didn't get an early check in but recall being in my room by 2 pm or so. Was given access to the men's spa area and pool to kill time which was very much appreciated indeed.

Will be heading back back next week and thought to check on this thread for any recent activity. Surprised to see my January post as the last post. Hmmmmm! LOL
Yeah I have a reservation for three nights in the end of march and looking forward to my stay. First timer in HK so looking forward to it. W HK, by the pictures, looks excellent and I hope it delivers. Been to W ams and W Bali and wasn't satisfied at all. But W HK is in my so called W bucket list, next sometimes in the future is W Singapore.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 4:07 am

Programs: SPG 100 Ambassador, LH M&M Senator, Skywards Silver
I have stayed there in early February for 6 nights and sadly was very disappointed. No room upgrade despite showing availability, majority of the staff seemed to only speak Chinese, no platinum perks other than breakfast. Despite being a fairly new property the room showed already sings of aging due to poor maintenance, also it seemed to be not cleaned properly. Hotel seems to be targeting mainly Chinese tourists through travel agencies and does not really care about Starwood loyalists.

In December last year I stayed at the Ritz just next door and at 20-30% higher rates you get to stay at property that is just so much better in almost every aspect. The club lounge staff is amazing, they make you feel like home and provide for literally every needs, they are there more like hosts there than just regular employees. As plat I received an upgrade to huge corner suite for my whole 10 nights stay which to date is one of the best rooms I have ever been in - very modern, well maintained, spacious with really outstanding design. On numerous days they've sent me bottles of wine and champagne to the room along with very personal notes based on my interactions with them (not just the generic "have a nice stay, we hope you had a great day" you usually get). I just can't recommend it enough.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 4:13 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by porkie
I have stayed there in early February for 6 nights and sadly was very disappointed. No room upgrade despite showing availability, majority of the staff seemed to only speak Chinese, no platinum perks other than breakfast. Despite being a fairly new property the room showed already sings of aging due to poor maintenance, also it seemed to be not cleaned properly. Hotel seems to be targeting mainly Chinese tourists through travel agencies and does not really care about Starwood loyalists.

In December last year I stayed at the Ritz just next door and at 20-30% higher rates you get to stay at property that is just so much better in almost every aspect. The club lounge staff is amazing, they make you feel like home and provide for literally every needs, they are there more like hosts there than just regular employees. As plat I received an upgrade to huge corner suite for my whole 10 nights stay which to date is one of the best rooms I have ever been in - very modern, well maintained, spacious with really outstanding design. On numerous days they've sent me bottles of wine and champagne to the room along with very personal notes based on my interactions with them (not just the generic "have a nice stay, we hope you had a great day" you usually get). I just can't recommend it enough.
I did back-to-back stays at the RC and W last year and agree the difference in quality between the hard products, as well as catering to an extent, is massive; I actually found service at the W to be great, however.

Still rate this as a very, very good W, but the RC is in a different league.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by porkie
<snip> Despite being a fairly new property the room showed already sings of aging due to poor maintenance
Huh? It's at least a 10 year old property. Not sure what you define as "fairly new"

Regards
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:14 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Still rate this as a very, very good W, but the RC is in a different league.
^

I agreee. RC and W are not in the same market segment.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 4:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I would add that location of W and RC is not very good, especially for a first time Hong Kong visitor.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ritz...-location.html
Old Mar 4, 2018, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf

^

I agreee. RC and W are not in the same market segment.

True, the two hotels are not in the same class. But I bet they are feeding off of each other for new customers.

I am slated to return to W on Friday of this week after three monthly stays there and have already started to receive personal emails from key people I've met. And I suspect that now that they've help me make reservations at RC dining and drinking venues they are more keen to keep me returning to the W and not venturing over to RC.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Staying at this hotel in a few months on a booking via a 3rd party site. I know that per SPG terms & conditions, no benefits of my SPG Ambassador/100nt status are guaranteed (not a major concern as the combined air/hotel rate made this more than worth it), however some properties will honor certain elements (i.e. late check-out, breakfast, etc) at their own discretion. Does anyone have experience with the W HK in this area?
Old Apr 3, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by scubadu
Huh? It's at least a 10 year old property. Not sure what you define as "fairly new"

Regards
I'd say the rooms have held up pretty nicely.

The lack of platinum upgrades to their suites though is something that I've noticed over time. The last few years, I've been only receiving upgrades to their Fabulous Room, which looks out over the harbour whereas in the early years I was given upgrades to their Fantastic and even Marvellous suites.

Just had another stay there this past weekend and all I received was an upgrade from the Wonderful room to the Fabulous room. Said all suites were taken when I checked-in.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Pro, Marriott Platinum, Sonesta Preferred
I will be staying at the W HK on New Years Eve and New Year Day using points. It will be three of us (2 adults and 1 kid). You guys think a Wonderful Room (king) will be ok? My daughter is 7 yo and she always stayed in the bed wit us if the rooms has no pull-out couch. Thoughts?
Old Apr 10, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
This is a very tough hotel for any kind of upgrade as a plat. Stayed there a few times. Using upgrade certs once I got a slightly better room but it was a minor upgrade if you ask me. The breakfast buffet is great. Its a pricey hotel and the service is good there. I didnt have any issues with non english speakers there. I love the location in Kowloon. Just dont want to pay $400 a night or 20K points every trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.