Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St Regis Beijing [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2016, 7:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
I trust you know the area well, but since both hotels use the same subway stop, doesn't that imply they are reasonably close? Both have 1,077 square foot suites, it is difficult to tell from web pictures which is nicer.
Crossing chang'an jie is really hard, and the north side is far nicer than the south side in that area.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by moondog
Crossing chang'an jie is really hard, and the north side is far nicer than the south side in that area.
That's helpful, I appreciate it.

If my plan is to make use of mass transit, such as to/from the airport, would the W's proximity to the subway serve me better? I'm not on a budget, but I'm guessing traffic is unpleasant - plus I sort of enjoy mass transit in foreign countries. I need to get in from the airport around noon on a Saturday and return first thing Monday morning for an Air Koyro flight from T2. Unless a taxi is more time-efficient at these hours?

I'll stop hounding you, thank you very much.

Jamie
Old Apr 1, 2016, 9:23 am

The W has better subway access than the St. Regis, but I could never recommend taking mass transit from PEK to either. Taxis are faster 80% of the time and infinitely more comfortable (we're talking about two extremely unpleasant transfers, one which is often borderline stampedesque, and a lot of standing time).

But, given your interest in subways, trying out a few during your visit (when you don't have luggage) is certainly worthwhile.

Feel free to ask more questions; I don't mind them at all.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 9:44 am

The W has better subway access than the St. Regis, but I could never recommend taking mass transit from PEK to either. Taxis are faster 80% of the time and infinitely more comfortable (we're talking about two extremely unpleasant transfers, one which is often borderline stampedesque, and a lot of standing time).

But, given your interest in subways, trying out a few during your visit (when you don't have luggage) is certainly worthwhile.

Feel free to ask more questions; I don't mind them at all.
Very helpful, perhaps I should reconsider a taxi or car service (which I'm confident both the W or SR could set up).

In terms of "unpleasantness", how different is taking the Airport Express and transferring to the #2/Blue line relative to, say, taking the Narita Express to Shinjuku and transferring (with a bag) to the Yamanote-sen? I'm comfortable with that sort of "stampedesque", but not much more than that.

Jamie
Old Apr 1, 2016, 10:12 am

Beijing subways aren't more crowded than Tokyo subways, but the majority of transfers didn't take user experience into consideration at all when they were designed. Line 10 to line 1 at guomao is particularly painful because the transfer tunnel is far too narrow to sanely accommodate the volume of traffic that passes through it. In fact, many people actually exit the station in order to pull off this drill.

Another big difference between Beijing and Tokyo is that taxis are cheap in Beijing, whereas taxis in Tokyo are not. As much as I dislike it, I would sweat out the public transit drill from PEK to St Regis in a heartbeat if it saved me $250, but certainly not for a $15 savings, which is the case.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 12:17 pm

Beijing subways aren't more crowded than Tokyo subways, but the majority of transfers didn't take user experience into consideration at all when they were designed. Line 10 to line 1 at guomao is particularly painful because the transfer tunnel is far too narrow to sanely accommodate the volume of traffic that passes through it. In fact, many people actually exit the station in order to pull off this drill.

Another big difference between Beijing and Tokyo is that taxis are cheap in Beijing, whereas taxis in Tokyo are not. As much as I dislike it, I would sweat out the public transit drill from PEK to St Regis in a heartbeat if it saved me $250, but certainly not for a $15 savings, which is the case.
All right, if it isn't going to save me time (whereas in Tokyo or London it would), I'll just hop a car at PEK.

I was mistaken, departure Monday is at noon, I'll ask the hotel what they advise but I suspect leaving at 8a will give me ample time for whatever the airport throws my way.

Still having a tough time decided between Marvelous Suite and Ambassador Suite. Similar sizes, but W does obviously look cooler/younger. Any views from SR Ambassador Suites that I should be aware of?

Thanks again - Jamie
Old Apr 1, 2016, 7:26 pm

I am posting to amend my assessment of the mass transit option from PEK:
-AEX to line 2 to jianguomen is the best way to play this (completely removes line 10 and line 1 from the equation)
-the transfer at dongzhimen is relatively benign, based on China standards
-I would guess this drill beats taxis timewise 35% of the time

All that having been said, I still maintain that taxis are a no-brainer wrt airport transit in this case.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 7:24 am

I am posting to amend my assessment of the mass transit option from PEK:
-AEX to line 2 to jianguomen is the best way to play this (completely removes line 10 and line 1 from the equation)
-the transfer at dongzhimen is relatively benign, based on China standards
-I would guess this drill beats taxis timewise 35% of the time

All that having been said, I still maintain that taxis are a no-brainer wrt airport transit in this case.
Argh, still torn. Any recent feedback on the Ambassador Suites?
Old Apr 3, 2016, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Argh, still torn. Any recent feedback on the Ambassador Suites?
It looks just as it does in the first picture on the website. There's a loveseat with comfy chair just inside the door, in front of the tv. There's a small table with four chairs in an adjacent area, with a desk. Hard to see the tv from there. The bedroom is off to the side. If you just want a comfy suite and don't need the table, I actual prefer the St. Regis suite. Love seat plus two comfy chairs facing the tv. Behind the loveseat and also facing the tv is a large desk. Ambassador Suite doesn't make much sense unless you really need the small table and chairs.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
It looks just as it does in the first picture on the website. There's a loveseat with comfy chair just inside the door, in front of the tv. There's a small table with four chairs in an adjacent area, with a desk. Hard to see the tv from there. The bedroom is off to the side. If you just want a comfy suite and don't need the table, I actual prefer the St. Regis suite. Love seat plus two comfy chairs facing the tv. Behind the loveseat and also facing the tv is a large desk. Ambassador Suite doesn't make much sense unless you really need the small table and chairs.
This is very helpful. What is your impression of he bar? Lively? Sedate? Music? Knowing W HKG, SIN and DPS, I imagine W Beijing is along those lines.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 5:50 pm

This is very helpful. What is your impression of he bar? Lively? Sedate? Music? Knowing W HKG, SIN and DPS, I imagine W Beijing is along those lines.
The Press Club is not what I would describe as "lively". The w's bar is definitely cooler, but still not a place where you'd really want to hang out for longer than 20 minutes or so.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 6:01 pm

The Press Club is not what I would describe as "lively". The w's bar is definitely cooler, but still not a place where you'd really want to hang out for longer than 20 minutes or so.
Based on feedback on W FT page, sounds like SR probably the way to go. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to help me out.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
So there is no dedicated club lounge? All guest have access to a free happy hour in the evening? Similar to China World Summit Shangri-La? or is it just for SPG Platinum members and premium rooms?
Do Plats no longer get free happy hour hors d'ouvres and drinks in the Press Club?
Old Aug 8, 2016, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nologic
Do Plats no longer get free happy hour hors d'ouvres and drinks in the Press Club?
This will be held at the Business Lounge however as I'm staying here today I was informed that tomorrow this will be moved to the Press Club again. Not sure if that's a temporary or permanent shift.

Also the Plat Benfits here are really good.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 21, 2017, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
St. Regis Beijing

After some searching I haven't found a thread just for this place, hubby and I will be from Nov3-Nov7 in an Executive Deluxe room, we get comp cocktails and Hor Doeuvers and Butler Service, doesn't say anything about Breakfast? Just looking for thoughts on this place, and service at this Hotel.

TIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.