Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St Regis Beijing [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2014, 7:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by angelboi2001
At the property right now. It seems the business lounge turns into a lounge with drinks/snacks from 5-7pm for platinum guests.
Is this instead of or in addition to the Press Club happy hour? (I never really cared for the spreads in the Press Club, but I find the decor to be a bit more interesting than that in your typical club lounge.)
Old Jul 8, 2014, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by moondog
Quote:Is this instead of or in addition to the Press Club happy hour? (I never really cared for the spreads in the Press Club, but I find the decor to be a bit more interesting than that in your typical club lounge.)
It's instead. When I passed by the press club at 6pm, there was 1 person smoking in the entire bar. The person checked me in said there is no more "happy hour" at the Press club now.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I'm bummed about the loss of the happy hour. I was just going to book a stay at this property and am now hesitating.

Could anyone comment on the new lounge offering? Does the food compare to what used to be available at the press club, both in terms of quality and quantity?
Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Pat+
I'm bummed about the loss of the happy hour. I was just going to book a stay at this property and am now hesitating.

Could anyone comment on the new lounge offering? Does the food compare to what used to be available at the press club, both in terms of quality and quantity?
Just go to Schindler's instead. Who wouldn't want to spend $20 for beers inside a nice park v. a stuffy executive lounge on the house?
Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Just go to Schindler's instead. Who wouldn't want to spend $20 for beers inside a nice park v. a stuffy executive lounge on the house?
Me. I don't drink beer and that doesn't answer my question.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Pat+
Me. I don't drink beer and that doesn't answer my question.
Did you ever get an answer to your question? I'm just curious what (if anything) to expect in terms of a platinum happy hour.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by FederalFlyer
Did you ever get an answer to your question? I'm just curious what (if anything) to expect in terms of a platinum happy hour.
Platinum happy hour occurs downstairs in the press bar or whatever they call it and you can basically get what you want within reason from the bar, plus they have some cheese and nibbles set up.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 8:23 pm

St Regis Beijing post 2008 renovation [Master Thread]

Just had a 5 night stay here. The club lounge is now available to all guests. I specifically asked as my colleague staying there doesn't have any spg status. When he entered the lounge, they asked for his number and nothing was ever signed. Front desk also confirmed this. One thing I notice is that the sparkling wine is not available anymore. In terms of other food offering, it was very average.
One of the biggest issue with staying at this property is the lack of taxi. I'm happy to report that Uber is now available in central Beijing. It's extremely easy to use and cost even less than taxi. My average trips to sanlituen was never over 2-3usd.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by angelboi2001
The club lounge is now available to all guests.
Must be a Zoo.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 5:31 pm

I had an excellent stay at the St Regis Beijing last week. I also tried out the new W Beijing - Chang'An and the Westin Beijing Chaoyang during my stay, and I consider the SRB to be the best of these three properties.

I was upgraded to a Statesman suite a few days after I made my reservation (love this pre-upgrade process the SRB does). Room was impeccably decorated, but they could probably have optimised the space a little better. Lobby was also beautiful. I certainly didn't notice the "oldness" of the hotel; it doesn't seem to be showing its age much.

No mention of any Platinum complimentary drinks at the Press Club bar. They did mention the club lounge (which is essentially the size of a standard room) that was rather full when we went there at around 17:20. Due to the limited seating, it didn't appear claustrophobic, but it was a rather awkward environment because of the smallness of the room size and knowing that everyone else inadvertently is listening to your conversation. They DID have sparkling wine at the club despite angelboi2001's experience. Food was very average, and I didn't go back after the first night. Good to see the property offers something, though.

The breakfast spread downstairs opposite check-in was incredible, and certainly the best I've experienced in Beijing. As an Australian, I was rather surprised to run into the Australian political opposition leader, Bill Shorten, at the breakfast (wow a celebrity hotel!).

Gym and pool seems to be of a high calibre, and they have a large grounds if you feel like spending additional time outside in the smog.

Did have some issues getting a taxi here. After about 20 minutes of the concierge not being able to get us one, I used Uber to book a private vehicle.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 5:42 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I'm here at the moment. The St Regis Beijing is a solid but unremarkable hotel.

Positives:
- Good Platinum recognition. Nobody at check-in could speak English, but when I got to my room it turned out I'd been upgraded to a top floor Suite
- Professional concierge. Used to making stuff happen for foreigners and quite effective
- I like that I got 7 or so bottles of water in my room. I go through a lot
- The breakfast buffet is one of the better ones out there, though Westerners should be aware it's very Asian focused. Makes sense as about 95% of people I see in the hotel are Asian

Negatives:
- Despite a 2008 refurb the place looks a bit dated
- Room service food quality wasn't great. In particular I would have thought that they could do a halfway decent char kwey tow despite it not being Chinese. They couldn't. Their signature Bloody Mary was even worse, despite them doing a nice one for breakfast
- As I keep complaining about the St Regis chain, the bars need improving. The lobby bar is underwhelming and the Press Club looks nice but is permanently empty

Something to be aware of is that despite it presumably quite a high profile location taxis all want to drop you off at a small business club about a hundred metres away - when they're following the hotel directions or not.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
So there is no dedicated club lounge? All guest have access to a free happy hour in the evening? Similar to China World Summit Shangri-La? or is it just for SPG Platinum members and premium rooms?
Old Mar 30, 2016, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by zzap
I had an excellent stay at the St Regis Beijing last week. I also tried out the new W Beijing - Chang'An and the Westin Beijing Chaoyang during my stay, and I consider the SRB to be the best of these three properties.

I was upgraded to a Statesman suite a few days after I made my reservation (love this pre-upgrade process the SRB does). Room was impeccably decorated, but they could probably have optimised the space a little better. Lobby was also beautiful. I certainly didn't notice the "oldness" of the hotel; it doesn't seem to be showing its age much.

No mention of any Platinum complimentary drinks at the Press Club bar. They did mention the club lounge (which is essentially the size of a standard room) that was rather full when we went there at around 17:20. Due to the limited seating, it didn't appear claustrophobic, but it was a rather awkward environment because of the smallness of the room size and knowing that everyone else inadvertently is listening to your conversation. They DID have sparkling wine at the club despite angelboi2001's experience. Food was very average, and I didn't go back after the first night. Good to see the property offers something, though.

The breakfast spread downstairs opposite check-in was incredible, and certainly the best I've experienced in Beijing. As an Australian, I was rather surprised to run into the Australian political opposition leader, Bill Shorten, at the breakfast (wow a celebrity hotel!).

Gym and pool seems to be of a high calibre, and they have a large grounds if you feel like spending additional time outside in the smog.

Did have some issues getting a taxi here. After about 20 minutes of the concierge not being able to get us one, I used Uber to book a private vehicle.
Wondering if you might opine on your comparison to the W. I'm making my first-ever trip to Beijing in early May, will arrive late morn on a Saturday and depart first thing Monday. I'm currently booked at the W. Most interested in Asian-style breakfast, location for walking around, and bar(s) (as opposed to free lounges). I have no reason to visit Beijing other than to get over jetlag (from NYC) and be fresh for another destination on Monday. So eager to just walk around and the like.

PS - I'm a fan of both SRs and Ws. Love SR Bali and San Fran, love W Bali, Singapore. I don't have strong aesthetic views one way or another.

Thanks - Jamie
Old Mar 30, 2016, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Wondering if you might opine on your comparison to the W. I'm making my first-ever trip to Beijing in early May, will arrive late morn on a Saturday and depart first thing Monday. I'm currently booked at the W. Most interested in Asian-style breakfast, location for walking around, and bar(s) (as opposed to free lounges). I have no reason to visit Beijing other than to get over jetlag (from NYC) and be fresh for another destination on Monday. So eager to just walk around and the like.

PS - I'm a fan of both SRs and Ws. Love SR Bali and San Fran, love W Bali, Singapore. I don't have strong aesthetic views one way or another.

Thanks - Jamie
I would choose the St Regis based on your stated criteria because the location is much better than the W for walking around. Ritan Park, in particular, is pretty nice in May.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 5:01 am

I would choose the St Regis based on your stated criteria because the location is much better than the W for walking around. Ritan Park, in particular, is pretty nice in May.
I trust you know the area well, but since both hotels use the same subway stop, doesn't that imply they are reasonably close? Both have 1,077 square foot suites, it is difficult to tell from web pictures which is nicer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.