Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: razflyer
Post #515 is an EXTENSIVE review w/ pics. Link

Food menus: Kitchen, In-Room Dining, Fire, Fish
Prices may change (sometimes substantially) so not necessarily up to date.

Excursions and activities pricing
Print Wikipost

W Maldives [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by scotchmeup
Am here now and am Titanium. They havent really moved on to the new program terminology here. Am receiving 35% discount on F&B ,this may be a Feb and Mar promotion . The sea life around the island is amazing!
We received this on the third day of our six night stay. Seemed to apply to everything other than specials (e.g. buy one get one at Sip, bucket of beers, etc).
Old Mar 1, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: AA LT PLT
Originally Posted by Gunner14
We received this on the third day of our six night stay. Seemed to apply to everything other than specials (e.g. buy one get one at Sip, bucket of beers, etc).
Hopefully it applies to Platinum; would love to get 35% rather than the expected 20%. It's odd that they gave it to you on day 3 and not on day 1 if it has been ongoing since February.

Is the discount showing up on all of your bills, or does it come off at check out?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:21 pm

Programs: SE 100K MM,UA Gold, Marriott Titanium,Hilton Diamond, Golden Circle Jade, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by h8stn4d
Hopefully it applies to Platinum; would love to get 35% rather than the expected 20%. It's odd that they gave it to you on day 3 and not on day 1 if it has been ongoing since February.

Is the discount showing up on all of your bills, or does it come off at check out?
comes off automatically with the dinner bill etc and is applied pre-tax and service charge.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by bgriff
There's no shortage of reef life at the W. We saw easily a dozen reef sharks while we ate dinner at Fish at one of the waterside tables.
Thank you bgriff, for all the information about this resort. It really helped me a lot in my decision making. I'm lowly silver on the totem pole, but even with a 5th night free (I'd only have enough points for the Beach Oasis), by the time one would tack on the transportation costs, resort fee, and food and drinks, seems one can get a much better deal at an equal resort (again, depending on WHEN you go, but I'm looking at "low" season) via simplymaldives or one of the UK booking sites for say, Baros, or Outrigger Konotta. BTW, Hilton runs into the same situation. I could get 6 nights (free weekend cert), but by the time you tack on the $400/day in food/drinks I can get an AI at other resorts.

I suppose if one drank only water it may be a better deal. But an excellent job by you with the thoroughness of the review and information!!!
bgriff likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by h8stn4d

I'm guessing it started on that date (February 8th or so).
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:37 pm

is breakfast pricing negotiable ? recently got downgraded to lowly gold with coming 5 nights staying, :X

and i see folks talk about 20 % discount on plat, but what about gold do they honor 15%?

Last edited by Furyleader; Mar 7, 2019 at 4:14 pm
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriot, Alaska Air, AAdvantage, Hilton Honors Diamond, British Airways
For those of you who have stayed at this property...

Do you think 740,000 points is worth it for five nights in a Fabulous overwater Oasis room ?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:41 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Is there any drinks package at the W? For example, when I was at the Park Hyatt in 2016, it was $160 per couple for unlimited drinks....definately a game changer haha.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:50 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by dqdude

Do you think 740,000 points is worth it for five nights in a Fabulous overwater Oasis room ?
I spent 340K points for that room for 5 nights and felt like it was worthwhile, but I don't know if I'd spend 740K points for it. If you can find availability, 5 nights in a beach villa should be available for 340K points now, and the hotel usually offers a buy-up to overwater oasis for around $1500 for 5 nights, which IMO is a better value than using 400K additional points to secure the upgrade. But it depends how many points you have and how you value them.

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Is there any drinks package at the W? For example, when I was at the Park Hyatt in 2016, it was $160 per couple for unlimited drinks....definately a game changer haha.
There is a package, someone posted the flier in an earlier post that I can't find now ... if anyone can find it, add a link in the wiki! But it's not fully unlimited, it's only unlimited with dinner plus one drink at lunch, one drink at happy hour, and water at lunch and dinner, for $70++ per person. And it's a relatively limited selection of basic drink options.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriot, Alaska Air, AAdvantage, Hilton Honors Diamond, British Airways
[QUOTE=bgriff;30860268]I spent 340K points for that room for 5 nights and felt like it was worthwhile, but I don't know if I'd spend 740K points for it. If you can find availability, 5 nights in a beach villa should be available for 340K points now, and the hotel usually offers a buy-up to overwater oasis for around $1500 for 5 nights, which IMO is a better value than using 400K additional points to secure the upgrade. But it depends how many points you have and how you value them.

I assume the 340k was post August merger .

There are no other point redemptions available for my dates .

I don't like wasting points but I am switching to Hyatt after 2020 so the points hit isn't terrible.

Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:53 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
There is a package, someone posted the flier in an earlier post that I can't find now ... if anyone can find it, add a link in the wiki! But it's not fully unlimited, it's only unlimited with dinner plus one drink at lunch, one drink at happy hour, and water at lunch and dinner, for $70++ per person. And it's a relatively limited selection of basic drink options.
That's not particularly useful. 😂
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:54 am

I spent 340K points for that room for 5 nights and felt like it was worthwhile, but I don't know if I'd spend 740K points for it. If you can find availability, 5 nights in a beach villa should be available for 340K points now, and the hotel usually offers a buy-up to overwater oasis for around $1500 for 5 nights, which IMO is a better value than using 400K additional points to secure the upgrade. But it depends how many points you have and how you value them.

this?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30632497-post463.html
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:06 am

I would most certainly say no - but it really depends what your point balance is and how easily you accrue them.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Furyleader
is breakfast pricing negotiable ? recently got downgraded to lowly gold with coming 5 nights staying, :X

and i see folks talk about 20 % discount on plat, but what about gold do they honor 15%?
I would assume so - but it's probably worth reaching out and confirming that it's applicable to breakfast.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:57 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
I assume the 340k was post August merger .

There are no other point redemptions available for my dates .

I don't like wasting points but I am switching to Hyatt after 2020 so the points hit isn't terrible.

340K was post merger amounts not old Starpoints. (Pre-August, the same room would actually have cost even more Starpoints than that, which I wouldn't have paid, though presumably some did.)

If the 740K price is the only one available, it's a trickier question since the option to pay for the upgrade doesn't exist. I assume you've considered options at the other Maldives properties for your dates and/or considered whether you would want to go somewhere else entirely and/or shift your dates?

Even if you're switching to Hyatt, that doesn't mean your Marriott points become instantly worthless ... there could still be value to be had for those points even once you switch to Hyatt, especially since Hyatt is much smaller so you may find yourself wanting to go places in the future that your Hyatt points can't help you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.